Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? 02:22 - Sep 13 with 2856 viewspointofblue

Holy - Chambers, Ward, Woolfenden, Nsiala - Nolan, Dozzell, Bishop - Sears, Judge, Drinan

Admittedly the substitutes are a bit harder to guess; probably Cornell, Kenlock, Wilson, Downes, Huws, Edwards and Hawkins?

I do fear for Chambers, up against Tom Pearce who caused Fleetwood all sorts of problems in the EFL Cup last week. They have seasoned professionals on the flanks (Clarke, Pearce, Naismith and Roberts) plus Jones in goal and, of course, Garner up front who will probably score. Other than Lee Evans they have very little experience centrally which we’ll need to exploit.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 05:18 - Sep 13 with 2772 viewsAlexGreen

Norwood at least on the bench surely?

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 07:20 - Sep 13 with 2665 viewsCokeIsKey

Looks like the team he's going to play. Would much prefer Downes for Nolan in midfield and someone other than judge on the wing like Edwards or Lankester.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:01 - Sep 13 with 2439 viewspointofblue

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 05:18 - Sep 13 by AlexGreen

Norwood at least on the bench surely?

I wonder who for though - Wilson, I guess, as Hawkins can also cover centre back if required?

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:03 - Sep 13 with 2428 viewsITFC_Forever

Downes will start in place of Nolan I would think.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:07 - Sep 13 with 2403 viewspointofblue

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:03 - Sep 13 by ITFC_Forever

Despite my arguments against earlier in the week, having seen Wigan’s squad I think we need him there. Understandably, I don’t think Lambert will put him straight back into the starting XI but he may come off the bench of we’re losing the midfield battle.

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:08 - Sep 13 with 2390 viewsMullet

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:03 - Sep 13 by ITFC_Forever

Rumour is he's not in the squad

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:11 - Sep 13 with 2375 viewsclive_baker

It’s a lot to ask of Drinan. Needs must etc but I really feel the sooner we get Norwood fit and firing the better. Here’s hoping Drinan can keep making it hard for Lambert to leave him out, but league games are a big step up from Colchester in a friendly.

I like Nolan, he keeps the ball moving, and I think he could be the one to offer a goal threat from midfield. Ideally I would start Downes for now, but Nolan is a capable replacement. Palace either need to put up or shut up and until such a time I personally wouldn’t open the door to Downes not playing.

Needless to say KVY comes back in when fit, but other than the above I would say that’s 8/11 of my preferred side.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:14 - Sep 13 with 2354 viewsMullet

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:11 - Sep 13 by clive_baker

It’s a lot to ask of Drinan. Needs must etc but I really feel the sooner we get Norwood fit and firing the better. Here’s hoping Drinan can keep making it hard for Lambert to leave him out, but league games are a big step up from Colchester in a friendly.

I like Nolan, he keeps the ball moving, and I think he could be the one to offer a goal threat from midfield. Ideally I would start Downes for now, but Nolan is a capable replacement. Palace either need to put up or shut up and until such a time I personally wouldn’t open the door to Downes not playing.

Needless to say KVY comes back in when fit, but other than the above I would say that’s 8/11 of my preferred side.

Would be nice to think we can use Drinan for an hour or so again and he does enough to score/play in others again. Hawkins seeing out the game and allowing us to lump it if necessary is fine if we control the game enough to win.

I don't care what state Wigan are in, 1-0 every week will do me.

As for Nolan, I was encouraged to see him shoot and then get upset with himself for it being saved last week. He needs to be given licence to have a dig anywhere in front of goal as at this level chances are they go in, or we get a corner enough times to make it worthwhile.

Login to get fewer ads

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:18 - Sep 13 with 2339 viewspointofblue

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:08 - Sep 13 by Mullet

That would be interesting - is that Lambert posturing or Downes holding firm that he isn’t in the right headspace to play?

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:18 - Sep 13 with 2337 viewsPinewoodblue

Wonder if Lambert has made his mind up yet?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:25 - Sep 13 with 2304 viewsElephantintheRoom

Yes - but can Wigan?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:37 - Sep 13 with 2256 viewsclive_baker

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:14 - Sep 13 by Mullet

Would be nice to think we can use Drinan for an hour or so again and he does enough to score/play in others again. Hawkins seeing out the game and allowing us to lump it if necessary is fine if we control the game enough to win.

I don't care what state Wigan are in, 1-0 every week will do me.

As for Nolan, I was encouraged to see him shoot and then get upset with himself for it being saved last week. He needs to be given licence to have a dig anywhere in front of goal as at this level chances are they go in, or we get a corner enough times to make it worthwhile.

Agree with all of that. I like Nolan, my only nervousness as a replacement for Downes is we then really lack physicality in the midfield, especially if flanked by Dozzell & Bishop. Downes is hardly a Roy Keane but he has got some bite to him, and he’s very strong. As good a footballers as the others are I do think we’ll miss that

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:47 - Sep 13 with 2215 viewsHerbivore

The worry for me is that side doesn't have much in the way of goals in it. Drinan hasn't scored a senior goal for us, Judge doesn't score, none of the midfielders has been prolific for us. Sears is probably the main goal threat. At the same time with Chambers out of position and Nsiala still rather unpredictable you wouldn't hang your hat on us keeping clean sheets with that XI. It's a good time to play Wigan but they don't look as horrendously weakened as Bolton did when we played them. This could go either way.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:50 - Sep 13 with 2194 viewspointofblue

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:47 - Sep 13 by Herbivore

The worry for me is that side doesn't have much in the way of goals in it. Drinan hasn't scored a senior goal for us, Judge doesn't score, none of the midfielders has been prolific for us. Sears is probably the main goal threat. At the same time with Chambers out of position and Nsiala still rather unpredictable you wouldn't hang your hat on us keeping clean sheets with that XI. It's a good time to play Wigan but they don't look as horrendously weakened as Bolton did when we played them. This could go either way.

Missing KVY, Downes and Norwood, plus the lack of Jackson as a pace option, is taking the spine out of the team. We did score three last week but I honestly think that was down to Bristol Rovers being dreadful on the day. Any kind of win will do but I am concerned a defeat is on the horizon.

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 10:28 - Sep 13 with 2066 viewsITFC_Forever

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:08 - Sep 13 by Mullet

Since posting this, I’ve since heard Downes and Jackson have had their squad numbers taken off them, so who knows.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 10:33 - Sep 13 with 2049 viewsBluebell

Is Skuse injured? If not I would hope he will make the bench if not the starting line up.
Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 10:33 - Sep 13 with 2049 viewsMullet

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 09:37 - Sep 13 by clive_baker

Agree with all of that. I like Nolan, my only nervousness as a replacement for Downes is we then really lack physicality in the midfield, especially if flanked by Dozzell & Bishop. Downes is hardly a Roy Keane but he has got some bite to him, and he’s very strong. As good a footballers as the others are I do think we’ll miss that

Although, I'm in no way saying this bridges the gap, Andre has definitely bulked up and got better timing with his challenges so far. Albeit based on scant on evidence. He doesn't look anywhere near as fragile and Huws is also a beefcake so we can put options there which maybe stop us being so weak.

If we've got enough from the defence and centre forward to bully teams either side of that line we might be ok too. Ward, Chambers, Toto all have presence so does Norwood and Hawkins so maybe we will improve over the season that aspect of our side.

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 10:34 - Sep 13 with 2043 viewsCokeIsKey

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 10:28 - Sep 13 by ITFC_Forever

Since posting this, I’ve since heard Downes and Jackson have had their squad numbers taken off them, so who knows.

Clearly losing Garbutt, Earl, Downes, Jackson and Keane and replacing them with Hawkins and Ward is going to take us from 11th to promotion. What a way this club is run...

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 10:35 - Sep 13 with 2035 viewsgordon

Would be surprised if Downes is in the 18.
Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 10:37 - Sep 13 with 2030 viewsMullet

Astonishingly... we can name our first XI for Wigan? on 10:28 - Sep 13 by ITFC_Forever

Not seen that, but likewise I only suspect the Downes thing because of what I'd heard, what's reported and a couple of locals saying the same thing.

If you're right that's that. Both sold this week then as I assumed. I did say I'd sacrifice Jackson if it focuses Lambert's mind tactically and we invest in a top striker, but that's been done over by this cap.

Now he's saying he wants to loan so many kids out you'd assume that load falls on Woolf and Lankester et al now?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024