Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? 16:20 - Nov 17 with 1940 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I did it yesterday, took about 2 minutes.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/11/hmrc-receives-1m-claims-for-the-f

Even in the lowest tax bracket you can get £60 in your back pocket. £140 for you high rollers. You can thank me later.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:25 - Nov 17 with 1905 viewsmonytowbray

It's an argument for everyone to go self employed IMO, let the industry dictate its own price over employers and expense stuff folk on PAYE contracts have to pay themselves.

It baffles me just by going self-employed all my travel costs are covered by expenses.

Or we can just take the advice of Deutsche Bank and tax WFH at 5% because Corporate Landlords are the real victims of inequality and we must support them as the most vulnerable members of society.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:27 - Nov 17 with 1896 viewsfactual_blue

Can you get this back-dated to 1991?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:27 - Nov 17 with 1893 viewsJ2BLUE

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:25 - Nov 17 by monytowbray

It's an argument for everyone to go self employed IMO, let the industry dictate its own price over employers and expense stuff folk on PAYE contracts have to pay themselves.

It baffles me just by going self-employed all my travel costs are covered by expenses.

Or we can just take the advice of Deutsche Bank and tax WFH at 5% because Corporate Landlords are the real victims of inequality and we must support them as the most vulnerable members of society.

Your second point has irked me for some time.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:28 - Nov 17 with 1891 viewsmonytowbray

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:27 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

You've been claiming a pension at least 50 years prior to that.

TWTD never forgets…

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:30 - Nov 17 with 1878 viewsfactual_blue

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:28 - Nov 17 by monytowbray

You've been claiming a pension at least 50 years prior to that.

Ageist

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:30 - Nov 17 with 1877 viewsmonytowbray

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:27 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

Your second point has irked me for some time.

Baffling innit.

When I worked in Norwich my options were...

Pay £260 monthly for the train.
Drive it, be knackered from the A140 daily and save around £160 a month.

I went for option two and it nearly killed me, even with a day WFH each week. And I was relatively well paid, I know some people who pay close to those levels to get back and forth to a minimum wage job.

TWTD never forgets…

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:31 - Nov 17 with 1871 viewsmonytowbray

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:30 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

Ageist

You know I love you like a grandad who destroys the system from the inside :)

TWTD never forgets…

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:33 - Nov 17 with 1864 viewsJ2BLUE

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:30 - Nov 17 by monytowbray

Baffling innit.

I went for option two and it nearly killed me, even with a day WFH each week. And I was relatively well paid, I know some people who pay close to those levels to get back and forth to a minimum wage job.

I am dreaming of a WFH job. No commute, no office, no travel expenses.

I resented every second of my commute at my last job.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:37 - Nov 17 with 1849 viewsfactual_blue

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:33 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

As you voted leave, you'll be picking turnips by hand in bitterly cold fields in Lincolnshire for the next thirty years.

Before a twelve hour shift delivering personal care.

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:38 - Nov 17 with 1849 viewsfactual_blue

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:31 - Nov 17 by monytowbray

You know I love you like a grandad who destroys the system from the inside :)

You loveable little vegan, you.

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:41 - Nov 17 with 1841 viewsmonytowbray

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:33 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

I resent work in general, seeing as the richest people in society seem to do the least amount of it.

TWTD never forgets…

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:43 - Nov 17 with 1831 viewsJ2BLUE

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:37 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

As you voted leave, you'll be picking turnips by hand in bitterly cold fields in Lincolnshire for the next thirty years.

Before a twelve hour shift delivering personal care.

Why don't you run for MP, work your way up to leader and have a manifesto with a flagship policy of shooting all of us leave voters and sharing our assets out among remainers as compensation?

Truly impaired.

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:48 - Nov 17 with 1823 viewsmonytowbray

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:43 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

Why don't you run for MP, work your way up to leader and have a manifesto with a flagship policy of shooting all of us leave voters and sharing our assets out among remainers as compensation?

I said in 2016 I'd happily leave the EU if those who voted for it took all the burden. I even said on the flip you can claim all the benefits too and remoaners can suffer.

Weird no one ever took up that offer.

Who was it on here who had the Union Jack butterfly emerging gloriously from a small box brandishing the EU flag as their avatar again? That aged well...

EDIT: Looked it up and it came from a Spectator cover.

I mean, imagine believing a word that comes out of that alt-right funded culture war rag?!
[Post edited 17 Nov 2020 16:51]

TWTD never forgets…

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 17:38 - Nov 17 with 1769 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:27 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

You can probably get it back-dated to the Black Death.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 17:46 - Nov 17 with 1745 viewsfactual_blue

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 17:38 - Nov 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

You can probably get it back-dated to the Black Death.

That's still rampant in Penge, where you live.

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 17:48 - Nov 17 with 1739 viewsfactual_blue

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:43 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

You work in fields for the next thirty or forty years.

I'll enjoy watching that far more. And I remember you being perfectly willing to do it.

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 17:56 - Nov 17 with 1726 viewsclive_baker

Must admit I find this scheme a little bizarre given the majority of workers now WFH are surely better off financially without commuting costs? Appreciate it's not the case for everyone but I'm thousands better off in 2020 than I was in 2019 as a result.

Personally I would rather these funds were invested in protecting the jobs most impacted by people not being out and about, such as those in hospitality and retail.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2020 17:58]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 17:58 - Nov 17 with 1721 viewsAce_High1

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:30 - Nov 17 by monytowbray

Baffling innit.

How long was your commute?

I work in enemy territory and have a round trip of 2.5 hours on the road each day (if I am going to the office every day), I quite enjoy it. In my last job I lived 5 minutes away but when I took this one on I decided to see it as a positive, over an hour of blasting some tunes out and a chance to unwind before I get home.
Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 18:12 - Nov 17 with 1692 viewsmonytowbray

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 17:58 - Nov 17 by Ace_High1

How long was your commute?

I work in enemy territory and have a round trip of 2.5 hours on the road each day (if I am going to the office every day), I quite enjoy it. In my last job I lived 5 minutes away but when I took this one on I decided to see it as a positive, over an hour of blasting some tunes out and a chance to unwind before I get home.

From Ipswich, it was during rush hour too. I hated Long Stratton so much I wrote a song about it.

I liked the music aspect but having a 2 hour morning commute and an hour and a half back (on a good day) killed me mentally and physically. The knock on effects of that outside of work was quite high too, no one’s got time for eating healthy and a social life when you are either driving, working or sleeping.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2020 18:14]

TWTD never forgets…

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 14:37 - Nov 19 with 1468 viewsVaughan8

Yes claimed this a few weeks ago and my tax code has now changed.

I was travelling an hour in the car each way for my job so WFH is good from that respective. Even though I speak to people on the phone, it still isn't the same as seeing people in person.

However, when I pop in the office here and there, I do think "thankfully I don't have to do this much at the moment" haha
Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 14:40 - Nov 19 with 1454 viewsJ2BLUE

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 17:48 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

You work in fields for the next thirty or forty years.

I'll enjoy watching that far more. And I remember you being perfectly willing to do it.

The argument was that Brits think they are too special to pick veg. I said that people would do it for a decent living wage.

Opinion hasn't changed. Lots of Brits applied earlier in the year when they called for veg pickers.

Truly impaired.

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 15:27 - Nov 19 with 1406 viewsDanny_G

Do you all know you can claim tax back if you've been forced to work from home? on 16:25 - Nov 17 by monytowbray

The travel expenses rules aren’t all that different in principle - whether you’re employed or self-employed, you can’t claim deductions for travel costs to a fixed or regular workplace, though you usually can for travel to any temporary workplaces or other travel on business. It’s just that, in practice, self-employed people are more likely to travel around on business, and most employed people who do will be able to expense their travel to their employer, so won’t even need to think about getting a tax deduction for it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024