Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Managers and the press 13:05 - Nov 29 with 3823 viewsblueislander

I have a recollection from many years ago ( a long time before TWTD ) when a Manager,I don’t recall which one, but it might even have been Robson, fell out with the local press, and refused to engage with them . It didn’t last very long.
Managers and the press on 13:08 - Nov 29 with 3320 viewsPJH

I seem to remember that too but I am now starting to give myself a headache trying to recall who, when and why!
Managers and the press on 13:27 - Nov 29 with 3283 viewsOld_Git

John Lyall.

I am padding quickly towards certain death.

Managers and the press on 13:32 - Nov 29 with 3259 viewslowhouseblue

Managers and the press on 13:27 - Nov 29 by Old_Git

John Lyall.

welcome back by the way.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Managers and the press on 13:39 - Nov 29 with 3234 viewsOld_Git

Managers and the press on 13:32 - Nov 29 by lowhouseblue

welcome back by the way.

Thank you. How kind.

But in truth I’m just popping my head around the door, alerted by this silly Lambo-Hambo tiff.

I can’t linger because the sound of my typewriter keeps the other residents awake during Nap Time.

I remain v interested in Education...and I presume that you continue to be interested in Money tho it’s not for any of us to be more explicit than that about our identities tho this is a curious phenomenon.

Is there a Secret History of TWTD, in which all of our identities and faces are revealed ?

We need Jeremy Kyle to host such a get-together...”What, Lord Lucan us a beautiful young woman ?”

Managers and the press on 13:42 - Nov 29 with 3214 viewsBloomBlue

John Lyall.

Good to have you back, but after Coes reopens on Dec 3rd will we see you again?
Managers and the press on 13:46 - Nov 29 with 3202 viewsOld_Git

Managers and the press on 13:42 - Nov 29 by BloomBlue

Good to have you back, but after Coes reopens on Dec 3rd will we see you again?

I’m wearing my Col Mustard corduroys, even as I speak.

Altho, I’m not speaking.

😎

©️oldgit@reserves MMXX

Managers and the press on 13:49 - Nov 29 with 3195 viewslowhouseblue

Managers and the press on 13:39 - Nov 29 by Old_Git

Thank you. How kind.

But in truth I’m just popping my head around the door, alerted by this silly Lambo-Hambo tiff.

I can’t linger because the sound of my typewriter keeps the other residents awake during Nap Time.

I remain v interested in Education...and I presume that you continue to be interested in Money tho it’s not for any of us to be more explicit than that about our identities tho this is a curious phenomenon.

Is there a Secret History of TWTD, in which all of our identities and faces are revealed ?

We need Jeremy Kyle to host such a get-together...”What, Lord Lucan us a beautiful young woman ?”

you should visit more often. couldn't you hand write your posts to avoid waking others?

yep, still with the money. though having to spend some now which goes against the grain.

and whatever happened to lord lucan? the board has started to take it self very seriously - you should come back and debunk it occasionally.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Managers and the press on 13:55 - Nov 29 with 3171 viewsitfcjoe

Magilton fell out with everyone, John Gorman was doing all the press for a while

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Managers and the press on 14:02 - Nov 29 with 3136 viewsOld_Git

Managers and the press on 13:55 - Nov 29 by itfcjoe

Magilton fell out with everyone, John Gorman was doing all the press for a while

...and, before that, John Lyall, who was not used to an intimate rship with reporters - as he was used to London reportage - and could not understand the 'doyenne' status of Tony Garnett, EXACTLY as Lambo may have failed to grasp that our mild-mannered reporter was backed by The Big Stick of The TWTD Nation.

"Speak softly but carry a big stick; you will go far." Theodore Roosevelt.

People often refer to me as a big stick.

OG@R

Managers and the press on 14:19 - Nov 29 with 3087 viewsOld_Git

Managers and the press on 13:49 - Nov 29 by lowhouseblue

you should visit more often. couldn't you hand write your posts to avoid waking others?

yep, still with the money. though having to spend some now which goes against the grain.

and whatever happened to lord lucan? the board has started to take it self very seriously - you should come back and debunk it occasionally.

Lucan is alive and well - I am in weekly contact, i shall mention your name - but, as you say, even he - as urbane and tolerant a man as can be (tho not on the subject of Policing) - can no longer stomach the socio-political atmosphere that has long since overwhelmed The Forum, that of teenaged girls at boarding school and their infantile, liberal-fascist tropes.

Whoops, have I said too much ?

Ah yes, in amongst all this Git Love, we may have forgotten that I'm a Conservative. {{Tho I have never (really) posted on political subjects and never wish to.}}

Ruins the Git Love vibe, doesn't it ? Like Corbyn rocking up to a Tinder date and discovering that the W in "AnnW'' stands for Widdecombe.

Incidentally, do you think that universities are protected from students demanding refunds/discounts by Force Majeure ?

Managers and the press on 14:31 - Nov 29 with 3071 viewslowhouseblue

Managers and the press on 14:19 - Nov 29 by Old_Git

Lucan is alive and well - I am in weekly contact, i shall mention your name - but, as you say, even he - as urbane and tolerant a man as can be (tho not on the subject of Policing) - can no longer stomach the socio-political atmosphere that has long since overwhelmed The Forum, that of teenaged girls at boarding school and their infantile, liberal-fascist tropes.

Ah yes, in amongst all this Git Love, we may have forgotten that I'm a Conservative. {{Tho I have never (really) posted on political subjects and never wish to.}}

Ruins the Git Love vibe, doesn't it ? Like Corbyn rocking up to a Tinder date and discovering that the W in "AnnW'' stands for Widdecombe.

Incidentally, do you think that universities are protected from students demanding refunds/discounts by Force Majeure ?

it's probably for OfS to decide at some point if particular universities have fulfilled their contract. it may vary from case to case, but i'm guessing many have done as much as normal albeit in different ways. but i'm also guessing that the government probably isn't too keen to take fee income away from institutions which are already struggling financially.

Managers and the press on 14:34 - Nov 29 with 3055 viewsOld_Git

Managers and the press on 14:31 - Nov 29 by lowhouseblue

it's probably for OfS to decide at some point if particular universities have fulfilled their contract. it may vary from case to case, but i'm guessing many have done as much as normal albeit in different ways. but i'm also guessing that the government probably isn't too keen to take fee income away from institutions which are already struggling financially.

Not exactly putting the (partially) paying customer front and centre, then ?

Managers and the press on 14:39 - Nov 29 with 3032 viewsAce_High1

Takes me back 10 years, reading your musings, written in your unique style.

Stay forever.
Managers and the press on 14:43 - Nov 29 with 3019 viewslowhouseblue

Managers and the press on 14:34 - Nov 29 by Old_Git

Not exactly putting the (partially) paying customer front and centre, then ?

different universities have probably done different things. i guess there's good stuff and not so good stuff. not sure it's a great year to be a student wherever you are.

Managers and the press on 15:31 - Nov 29 with 2979 viewsOld_Git

Managers and the press on 14:43 - Nov 29 by lowhouseblue

different universities have probably done different things. i guess there's good stuff and not so good stuff. not sure it's a great year to be a student wherever you are.

'Not sure it's a great year for students.'

The youngest of my many children, still at university - {{a lot of wives, a lot of water passed under the bridge}} - sits in a flat with his delightful gf - a flat he prudently committed to, just before the pandemic struck, as he is Well Organised - and a flat that he was and is legally committed to. There is no question of a refund of the year's rent.

Why would the couple want such a refund ? Because their university is offering them online tuition.

They could be sitting in Bucharest where flat rental is more reasonable and the geographic location equally relevant.

This one year will cost the couple over £30,000 and please don't mention that they may never repay the total cost of their uni experience as I think they will.

In this instance, there is not 'good stuff and not so good stuff'...there is only disaster, from The Customer's POV. My son and his gf are paying £30k to watch YouTube.

The public sector of course finds the capitalist 'obsession' with the customer alien to a communal life and yet I notice that left-of-centre North Stand ITFC fans - as represented on here - are vocal in their criticism of Mr Evans when they in fact contribute so little to the cost of providing the ITFC service. "It's Our Club." It is unarguably Our Club in one sense and yet, in another sense, it is legally only the plaything of Evans, for him to throw away, should he so choose...{{and if I was him I would have done so half a decade ago - at around the "I've wasted £50m on this" point.}}

Thus, Town fans - watching our games online - would be lynching people if, whilst receiving almost no customer benefit, they were invited to pay one hundredth of the sum that my boy is paying tho he will arguably gain more benefit from his degree than we Town fans have seen in two decades.

"Universities need those fees!" That isn't an argument that has much lateral resonance: students need some of their money back, just as landlords have insisted upon their full rent.

That's a characteristically long-winded way of saying that my boy is losing out, financially and educationally. Big Time.

Not that it's Someone's Fault.

In just the same way that Boris has not deliberately killed anyone, so neither universities nor the gov is morally responsible for the mess in which my son finds himself. He's not being 'swindled' but, whereas so many millions of people are receiving 80% of their (legal min) wage for lying in bed, some students are taking a smack. (And, no doubt, some are taking smack.)

I raised the question: will universities excuse themselves from offering a penny of discount to students taking a smack, by claiming that the pandemic is force majeure, an Act of God and that therefore the customer can get lost, "because we universities need the money" ?

If so, would the university financial and legal authorities assist students in suing landlords for a refund, arguing on behalf of Their Students that, to meet the standards of natural justice, force majeure must surely also apply to the student/landlord rship ?

I'm framing the argument, not arguing the case.

But I think this issue deserves to be properly aired, don't you ?

OG@R

Managers and the press on 15:55 - Nov 29 with 2937 viewslowhouseblue

Managers and the press on 15:31 - Nov 29 by Old_Git

'Not sure it's a great year for students.'

The youngest of my many children, still at university - {{a lot of wives, a lot of water passed under the bridge}} - sits in a flat with his delightful gf - a flat he prudently committed to, just before the pandemic struck, as he is Well Organised - and a flat that he was and is legally committed to. There is no question of a refund of the year's rent.

Why would the couple want such a refund ? Because their university is offering them online tuition.

They could be sitting in Bucharest where flat rental is more reasonable and the geographic location equally relevant.

This one year will cost the couple over £30,000 and please don't mention that they may never repay the total cost of their uni experience as I think they will.

In this instance, there is not 'good stuff and not so good stuff'...there is only disaster, from The Customer's POV. My son and his gf are paying £30k to watch YouTube.

The public sector of course finds the capitalist 'obsession' with the customer alien to a communal life and yet I notice that left-of-centre North Stand ITFC fans - as represented on here - are vocal in their criticism of Mr Evans when they in fact contribute so little to the cost of providing the ITFC service. "It's Our Club." It is unarguably Our Club in one sense and yet, in another sense, it is legally only the plaything of Evans, for him to throw away, should he so choose...{{and if I was him I would have done so half a decade ago - at around the "I've wasted £50m on this" point.}}

Thus, Town fans - watching our games online - would be lynching people if, whilst receiving almost no customer benefit, they were invited to pay one hundredth of the sum that my boy is paying tho he will arguably gain more benefit from his degree than we Town fans have seen in two decades.

"Universities need those fees!" That isn't an argument that has much lateral resonance: students need some of their money back, just as landlords have insisted upon their full rent.

That's a characteristically long-winded way of saying that my boy is losing out, financially and educationally. Big Time.

Not that it's Someone's Fault.

In just the same way that Boris has not deliberately killed anyone, so neither universities nor the gov is morally responsible for the mess in which my son finds himself. He's not being 'swindled' but, whereas so many millions of people are receiving 80% of their (legal min) wage for lying in bed, some students are taking a smack. (And, no doubt, some are taking smack.)

I raised the question: will universities excuse themselves from offering a penny of discount to students taking a smack, by claiming that the pandemic is force majeure, an Act of God and that therefore the customer can get lost, "because we universities need the money" ?

If so, would the university financial and legal authorities assist students in suing landlords for a refund, arguing on behalf of Their Students that, to meet the standards of natural justice, force majeure must surely also apply to the student/landlord rship ?

I'm framing the argument, not arguing the case.

But I think this issue deserves to be properly aired, don't you ?

OG@R

i agree, a lot of students have had a very rough deal indeed. and as you say the money involved is huge. my point about different universities is just that there's a range from those doing pretty much everything in person other than large lectures which are ruled out by the public health authorities to those doing nothing in person. if i was doing an entirely online course but had been denied the chance to live in bucharest while doing it and for less money i would also see that as very unjust. i just think there's probably quite a mixed picture across the HE sector.

Managers and the press on 16:34 - Nov 29 with 2874 viewsshamboy

John Lyall.

John Lyall's grudge was against Dave Allard, as nice a man as you will ever meet and a Suffolk country boy to boot. Dave was never outspoken, but Lyall took exception to him.

What got into the press was that Lyall had an unpleasant nickname for Allard - this appeared either in the EADT/Star or possibly the Green 'Un.

The details didn't get into the press but I don't mind spilling. Lyall's name for the likeable Dave was 'Stench', usually turned into rhyming slang as 'Judy' as in Judy Dench / Stench. Typically it would be comments at the training ground such as 'Look out, Judy's about'.

It got even worse, with direct threats to Dave's wellbeing, notably a threat to have him run over.

A sad episode, of a different tone to Lambert's behaviour.
Managers and the press on 18:54 - Nov 29 with 2772 viewsoldburian

Lovely to hear from you again, we old ones had a lovely night a few years back reminiscing of days gone by. Trips to Norwich and you being driven by half blind uncle. You are right that pseudo politics are ruining this site, unfortunately mostly from those without knowledge or experience of what they are proposing or arguing about.

We know we cannot have the Robson/Cobbold era ever again but we could be run better. Can you imagine JC reaction if Bobby had proposed to sign the likes of Ben Thatcher, Chopra or Bowyer amongst others. It would have got no further than a thought!
Managers and the press on 19:25 - Nov 29 with 2720 viewsgazzer1999

Managers and the press on 16:34 - Nov 29 by shamboy

John Lyall's grudge was against Dave Allard, as nice a man as you will ever meet and a Suffolk country boy to boot. Dave was never outspoken, but Lyall took exception to him.

What got into the press was that Lyall had an unpleasant nickname for Allard - this appeared either in the EADT/Star or possibly the Green 'Un.

The details didn't get into the press but I don't mind spilling. Lyall's name for the likeable Dave was 'Stench', usually turned into rhyming slang as 'Judy' as in Judy Dench / Stench. Typically it would be comments at the training ground such as 'Look out, Judy's about'.

It got even worse, with direct threats to Dave's wellbeing, notably a threat to have him run over.

A sad episode, of a different tone to Lambert's behaviour.

I thought Lyall's name for him was 'Dover'
Managers and the press on 19:59 - Nov 29 with 2656 viewsshamboy

Managers and the press on 19:25 - Nov 29 by gazzer1999

That rings a bell, but my account is from the man himself. There may have been numerous other monickers.
At the time other EADT writers would occasionally preface John Lyall's name with 'Londoner', which I don't think was used as a term of affection.
Managers and the press on 20:09 - Nov 29 with 2632 views26_Paz

Managers and the press on 19:25 - Nov 29 by gazzer1999

I also thought it was Dover as in Dover Sole / mole

The Paz Man

Managers and the press on 20:10 - Nov 29 with 2627 viewsgazzer1999

Managers and the press on 20:09 - Nov 29 by 26_Paz

I also thought it was Dover as in Dover Sole / mole

Think it was a bit more nasty than that.
Managers and the press on 20:14 - Nov 29 with 2619 views26_Paz

Managers and the press on 20:10 - Nov 29 by gazzer1999

Think it was a bit more nasty than that.

*desperately trying to think of rude words that rhyme with sole*

The Paz Man

Managers and the press on 20:15 - Nov 29 with 2614 viewsgazzer1999

Managers and the press on 20:14 - Nov 29 by 26_Paz

*desperately trying to think of rude words that rhyme with sole*

It's behind you.
Managers and the press on 20:20 - Nov 29 with 2603 views26_Paz

Managers and the press on 20:15 - Nov 29 by gazzer1999

It's behind you.

I think I’ve got it! Haha

The Paz Man

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising