Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shouting from the sidelines 18:45 - Jan 16 with 1238 viewsDarth_Koont

Question really for the football coaches and players on here, but what’s the point of shouting instructions to professional players for 90 minutes solid? My background in coaching and playing is in rugby and we rarely shout instructions (that’s what training is for) so feels bizarre to hear it almost uninterrupted throughout.

Listened without commentary today and all I could hear was both benches (us and Taylor a bit more perhaps) shouting to the players.

Don’t get me wrong – sometimes the team needs a “Push out” or players need a “Man on” or a bit of encouragement when they do something well. But surely you stop listening after a while if it’s constant chatter?

Pronouns: He/Him

Shouting from the sidelines on 18:47 - Jan 16 with 1212 viewstextbackup

probably what wolf was getting at last week. players need to be able to make own decisions.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Shouting from the sidelines on 18:52 - Jan 16 with 1138 viewsGlasgowBlue

My experience of coaching a boys team from the age of seven until they were sixteen is that you are constantly shouting instructions.

Getting them to keep shape, warning them of offsides, making sure defenders are aware of what's around them, getting your forwards to make space and run.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Shouting from the sidelines on 18:54 - Jan 16 with 1119 viewsDarth_Koont

Shouting from the sidelines on 18:47 - Jan 16 by textbackup

probably what wolf was getting at last week. players need to be able to make own decisions.

Maybe. It would certainly seem better for the team to take responsibility on the pitch and be given more faith.

And on the rare times I’ve managed to get into the fabled zone playing sport, the last thing that would help get me into it – or I’d hear if I was in the zone – is people shouting all the time from the sidelines.

Shouting from the sidelines on 18:55 - Jan 16 with 1112 viewschrismakin

Theres a motion in non league football

If you have to shout it means you dont trust your players
And if you dont trust your players. They're not being coached correctly.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Shouting from the sidelines on 18:59 - Jan 16 with 1077 viewsDarth_Koont

Shouting from the sidelines on 18:52 - Jan 16 by GlasgowBlue

My experience of coaching a boys team from the age of seven until they were sixteen is that you are constantly shouting instructions.

Getting them to keep shape, warning them of offsides, making sure defenders are aware of what's around them, getting your forwards to make space and run.

What do you do in training then? Headers and volleys?

Seems bizarre to me that players shouldn’t learn that more for themselves. It’s not rocket science.

I have no problem encouraging young players throughout a match which is part and parcel of kids rugby.

Shouting from the sidelines on 19:02 - Jan 16 with 1033 viewscooperd5

Shouting from the sidelines on 18:52 - Jan 16 by GlasgowBlue

Agree with this, it constantly amazes me how u16 footballers need reminding to "push up!" when the ball is going forwards! I've coached an U15 side for 5 years and they *still* need a reminder!

Shouldn't be an issue with professionals so I don't see why they would need shouting at. Poor coaching for sure
Shouting from the sidelines on 19:09 - Jan 16 with 975 viewsjeera

Shouting from the sidelines on 18:54 - Jan 16 by Darth_Koont

Maybe. It would certainly seem better for the team to take responsibility on the pitch and be given more faith.

And on the rare times I’ve managed to get into the fabled zone playing sport, the last thing that would help get me into it – or I’d hear if I was in the zone – is people shouting all the time from the sidelines.

Well, quite.

Kids who need reminding and on the job coaching, sure.

But not fully-fledged professionals who are probably not only insulted, but also irritated by constant commentary from off the pitch.

Bit different to the odd observation when the approach might need tweaking here and there, but then that would surely be more of a word on the side to the nearest player rather than tell the world out loud what you're trying to achieve.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 19:26]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Shouting from the sidelines on 19:10 - Jan 16 with 970 viewsDarth_Koont

Shouting from the sidelines on 18:55 - Jan 16 by chrismakin

Theres a motion in non league football

If you have to shout it means you dont trust your players
And if you dont trust your players. They're not being coached correctly.

Yeah, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head re: my concerns about it.

Also it would seem to get in the way of communication on the pitch which is more important to ensuring a team works together.

Login to get fewer ads

Shouting from the sidelines (n/t) on 19:42 - Jan 16 with 869 viewschrismakin

Shouting from the sidelines on 19:10 - Jan 16 by Darth_Koont

Yeah, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head re: my concerns about it.

Also it would seem to get in the way of communication on the pitch which is more important to ensuring a team works together.

Shouting should come from within

The GK and CB shouts for players to get out
The midfield shout to shuffle across.
The captain shouts to boost moral
If players aren't getting into the box. The midfield general should be shouting for it to happen.
Etc etc

[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 19:44]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Shouting from the sidelines on 19:48 - Jan 16 with 830 viewsChurchman

The best laugh was seeing Magilton go bananas from the sidelines and watching the players drift across to the other side of the pitch.
Shouting from the sidelines (n/t) on 19:54 - Jan 16 with 809 viewsOldsmoker

Shouting from the sidelines (n/t) on 19:42 - Jan 16 by chrismakin

Shouting should come from within

The GK and CB shouts for players to get out
The midfield shout to shuffle across.
The captain shouts to boost moral
If players aren't getting into the box. The midfield general should be shouting for it to happen.
Etc etc

[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 19:44]

I agree.
It's a team thing.
Lambert and Taylor are not part of the team.
I'm sure their instructions are sometimes contradictory and confusing.
"Move up", the striker beats the offside and "Run back" all in the space of a few seconds.
PL just STFU.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 19:54]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Shouting from the sidelines on 20:00 - Jan 16 with 777 viewsSuperCoops

Shouting from the sidelines on 18:54 - Jan 16 by Darth_Koont

But remember they are coaching and giving instructions and in-play observations to 11 different people in a fast moving game that may have the opposition making changes as well as your team making errors, not following instructions - as well as questioning officials.

I'd rather someone vocal than someone sitting in the dugout offering very little.
Shouting from the sidelines on 21:01 - Jan 16 with 703 viewsmonty_radio

Someone kept shouting "in the hole" so often I began to think I might have wandered into a golf channel - and it sounded advice no more likely to be effective than when the golf-ball has already been addressed.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024