Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1st run in about 5 years coming up 12:01 - Feb 5 with 1761 viewsBluefish

Should be good comedy

I am overweight now and have 1 properly functioning knee. The other one has had 4 operations and is still broken

What could go wrong?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:02 - Feb 5 with 1749 viewsGeoffSentence

Your knees could.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:03 - Feb 5 with 1738 viewsBrianTablet

Well done on getting out there.
The rest will follow if you stick at it.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:09 - Feb 5 with 1719 viewsBluefish

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:02 - Feb 5 by GeoffSentence

Your knees could.

Only one of them. Oddly it might be fine (it might not)

I can kick a ball and mess around but then other times I can barely walk around the house or up the stairs. No logic to it

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:11 - Feb 5 with 1710 viewsFixed_It

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:09 - Feb 5 by Bluefish

Only one of them. Oddly it might be fine (it might not)

I can kick a ball and mess around but then other times I can barely walk around the house or up the stairs. No logic to it

Get yourself a scooter or a skateboard - let the good leg take the strain and give the locals a laugh!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:12 - Feb 5 with 1701 viewsFixed_It

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:11 - Feb 5 by Fixed_It

Get yourself a scooter or a skateboard - let the good leg take the strain and give the locals a laugh!

Seriously - good luck - hope it goes ok.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:13 - Feb 5 with 1701 viewscatch74

If you had Mo Farah’s pace I’m sure you’d have broken records by now.
Good luck, hope it goes well.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:59 - Feb 5 with 1633 viewsBluefish

Still alive!

Ran (jogged/waddled) 1.6 miles
Walked 0.10
Ran (jogged/waddled) 0.5

Total 2.1 time 20:11

Walked 0.5 home after to cool down

Probably embarrassingly bad but I'm happy for a first attempt. I didn't expect to complete a mile

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 13:01 - Feb 5 with 1626 viewsitfcjoe

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:59 - Feb 5 by Bluefish

Still alive!

Walked 0.10
Ran (jogged/waddled) 0.5

Probably embarrassingly bad but I'm happy for a first attempt. I didn't expect to complete a mile

You should look at Couch to 5k as that really helps build it up at decent intervals - Week 1 is Run a minute, Walk 90 seconds, and repeat 8 or 9 times

By Week 5 it's run 6, walk 1, run 4, walk 1, run 6 so builds up quickly and managably

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 13:06 - Feb 5 with 1618 viewsBluefish

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 13:01 - Feb 5 by itfcjoe

You should look at Couch to 5k as that really helps build it up at decent intervals - Week 1 is Run a minute, Walk 90 seconds, and repeat 8 or 9 times

By Week 5 it's run 6, walk 1, run 4, walk 1, run 6 so builds up quickly and managably

A colleague suggested that but I wasn't sure I wanted it to be prescriptive.

I did a marathon back in 2009 and I've done a couple of half marathon and I always found I was better to not sent a target like that because I'm lazy. I like to keep moving further to stretch beyond what I think is possible or I will give up. My secret was always to push when I could walk a bit further and a bit further in my mind. The other one was to always run as far away from home as possible. I struggle to go again after a walk, it is also why I can't do treadmills because it is too easy to stop

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 13:34 - Feb 5 with 1561 viewsclive_baker

Don't wear your walking boots.

I bloody hate running, but I find listening to music really helps with the boredom. Potential considerations around road safety etc depending on where you're running, but I tend to stick to parks and now I can't run without music. The right tune gets you up for it, it also helps regulate stages i.e. nail it for this song, then jog for a song etc and it really passes the time and prevents boredom. I can run for miles if I'm chasing a ball, but just running I find so tedious. So I recommend that if you're not already.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 13:37 - Feb 5 with 1553 viewsRobTheMonk

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:59 - Feb 5 by Bluefish

Still alive!

Walked 0.10
Ran (jogged/waddled) 0.5

Not at all mate. Just look to incrementally increase and you'll be fine. Keep at it!
1st run in about 5 years coming up on 13:38 - Feb 5 with 1551 viewsGeoffSentence

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 13:06 - Feb 5 by Bluefish

A colleague suggested that but I wasn't sure I wanted it to be prescriptive.

I did a marathon back in 2009 and I've done a couple of half marathon and I always found I was better to not sent a target like that because I'm lazy. I like to keep moving further to stretch beyond what I think is possible or I will give up. My secret was always to push when I could walk a bit further and a bit further in my mind. The other one was to always run as far away from home as possible. I struggle to go again after a walk, it is also why I can't do treadmills because it is too easy to stop

I don't run as such, but I do cycle and walk. For me the thing that gete me moving quicker is to imagine that I am being followed by an agent of the state, then when I go round a corner I get a shufty on to shake them off.

Occasionally though, one of the imaginary agents is very good and surreptitiously keeps up with me, they must make a spurt when I have gone out of sight in those cases I hide in a ditch.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 13:39]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 13:38 - Feb 5 with 1553 viewsBluefish

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 13:34 - Feb 5 by clive_baker

Don't wear your walking boots.

I bloody hate running, but I find listening to music really helps with the boredom. Potential considerations around road safety etc depending on where you're running, but I tend to stick to parks and now I can't run without music. The right tune gets you up for it, it also helps regulate stages i.e. nail it for this song, then jog for a song etc and it really passes the time and prevents boredom. I can run for miles if I'm chasing a ball, but just running I find so tedious. So I recommend that if you're not already.

I'm very similar to you in that regard. The bad bit is when you have a bad song and can't skip it. The last time I ran it involved and ipod, today was a phone and Spotify but I didn't know how to skip songs

The playlist kicked out some oasis, carly Simon and S club 7 though so pretty good

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 14:16 - Feb 5 with 1505 viewsazuremerlangus

Have you ever played right-back?

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 14:24 - Feb 5 with 1493 viewsSwansea_Blue

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 12:03 - Feb 5 by BrianTablet

Well done on getting out there.
The rest will follow if you stick at it.

"The rest" being intense pain, multiple more operations, arthritis and ultimately amputation?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 14:27 - Feb 5 with 1487 viewsSwansea_Blue

I've started couch to 5k this week as I've got a ripped calf that has never properly healed and Covid whacked the puff out of me. I'm likely to do too much too soon unless I have a strict plan, and figured this would give me the time to slowly strengthen the calf and get the lungs back.

It seems ridiculously pathetic compared to what I used to do, but hey ho. The embarrassment of being seen out walking is the hardest thing!
[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 14:27]

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 14:31 - Feb 5 with 1472 viewsvapour_trail

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 13:38 - Feb 5 by Bluefish

I'm very similar to you in that regard. The bad bit is when you have a bad song and can't skip it. The last time I ran it involved and ipod, today was a phone and Spotify but I didn't know how to skip songs

The playlist kicked out some oasis, carly Simon and S club 7 though so pretty good

I’m surprised you didn’t run off a cliff listening to that.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 14:38 - Feb 5 with 1466 viewsBluefish

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 14:24 - Feb 5 by Swansea_Blue

"The rest" being intense pain, multiple more operations, arthritis and ultimately amputation?

A knee replacement will happen, it only hasn't yet because of my age

I do wonder if amputation will one day be the final option

I was warned all of these things while playing but I wouldn't listen then and I wouldn't do a great deal different now. I loved the game too much and playing injured meant more than missing a season

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 14:42 - Feb 5 with 1461 viewsSwansea_Blue

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 14:38 - Feb 5 by Bluefish

A knee replacement will happen, it only hasn't yet because of my age

I do wonder if amputation will one day be the final option

I was warned all of these things while playing but I wouldn't listen then and I wouldn't do a great deal different now. I loved the game too much and playing injured meant more than missing a season

That bad eh? Ouch.

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 14:57 - Feb 5 with 1445 viewsBluefish

1st run in about 5 years coming up on 14:42 - Feb 5 by Swansea_Blue

That bad eh? Ouch.

My last op was an ACL replacement and a microfracture of the femur, it came 3 months after the op before that to sort the meniscus (think it was that). I was bed ridden with zero weight bearing for 2 months and then had to build up enough strength in it to be able to stand and then to be able to walk. The op hasn't really worked

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024