Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
8 shots on target in 6 games 07:51 - Apr 18 with 1978 viewsBluefish

Regardless of the circumstances it is completely unacceptable. Hanging on for 0-0 when there is something to play for is shocking. We should be going for the wins to set the levels higher, if the players have given up just don't pick them and set expectations

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

8 shots on target in 6 games on 07:57 - Apr 18 with 1948 viewsWD19

Yesterday was what we look like when we do go for it!!

Until we have a fit central striker, wingers who can cross the ball and midfielders who occasionally shoot, we are not going to win many games.
8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:00 - Apr 18 with 1933 viewschrismakin

8 shots on target in 6 games on 07:57 - Apr 18 by WD19

Until we have a fit central striker, wingers who can cross the ball and midfielders who occasionally shoot, we are not going to win many games.

Dobra can be that midfielder but needs to play now so he can relax and get into u23 mode, shoot on sight. He was so hesitant to take a shot yesturday... his shooting has been 1 of his biggest promises in the u23s

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:00 - Apr 18 with 1932 viewsBluefish

8 shots on target in 6 games on 07:57 - Apr 18 by WD19

I missed most of it but from what I saw we happily played out a meaningless pre season friendly. No effort to score a goal

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:02 - Apr 18 with 1913 viewschrismakin

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:00 - Apr 18 by Bluefish

I missed most of it but from what I saw we happily played out a meaningless pre season friendly. No effort to score a goal

What you missed and also the highlights don't show is we got into 5 maybe 6 occasions just outside their box, just needed someone brave

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:03 - Apr 18 with 1911 viewsWD19

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:00 - Apr 18 by Bluefish

Nah, unfortunately it was worse than that. That’s what it currently looks like when we are trying really hard to score a goal.
8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:13 - Apr 18 with 1853 viewsGuthrum

I thought the players were making a decent effort yesterday and that we had far better attempts to create a goalscoring situation than for several matches. I certainly wouldn't qualify it as "good", nor do we have anybody who can actually put the ball in the net (plus being robust enough to stay on the pitch), but it was slightly improved.

Albeit our most productive tactic seemed to be long balls behind the opposition fullbacks for our widemen to run onto. Which is still better than long balls aimed vaguely at the heads of short forwards.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:16 - Apr 18 with 1840 viewschrismakin

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:13 - Apr 18 by Guthrum

I thought the players were making a decent effort yesterday and that we had far better attempts to create a goalscoring situation than for several matches. I certainly wouldn't qualify it as "good", nor do we have anybody who can actually put the ball in the net (plus being robust enough to stay on the pitch), but it was slightly improved.

Albeit our most productive tactic seemed to be long balls behind the opposition fullbacks for our widemen to run onto. Which is still better than long balls aimed vaguely at the heads of short forwards.

I do find it interesting how people see things differently in football
I felt we didn't do the long ball enough at times and that our best moments came with some nice interplay between Bishop, Dobra and KVY etc, ball on ground, quick passing and movement.

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:30 - Apr 18 with 1803 viewsGuthrum

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:16 - Apr 18 by chrismakin

I do find it interesting how people see things differently in football
I felt we didn't do the long ball enough at times and that our best moments came with some nice interplay between Bishop, Dobra and KVY etc, ball on ground, quick passing and movement.

Yes, there was some nice interplay and some good running breaks. Dobra is a real terrier who will chase everything while there's still the slightest hope.

However, for me, the most productive tactic was the long ball in behind. Probably because our players had no choice but to be going forwards with pace when they collected the ball, plus being well up towards the byline. Thus avoiding all subconscious urges to check and pass to someone further back. Unfortunately, we overcooked the long ball on several occasions and too rarely had enough bodies in the middle to then cross for.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:33 - Apr 18 with 1792 viewschrismakin

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:30 - Apr 18 by Guthrum

Yes, there was some nice interplay and some good running breaks. Dobra is a real terrier who will chase everything while there's still the slightest hope.

However, for me, the most productive tactic was the long ball in behind. Probably because our players had no choice but to be going forwards with pace when they collected the ball, plus being well up towards the byline. Thus avoiding all subconscious urges to check and pass to someone further back. Unfortunately, we overcooked the long ball on several occasions and too rarely had enough bodies in the middle to then cross for.

Our body in box numbers are incredibly low, I know based on PC previous highlights of Wigan and Pompy, he wants at least 4 in the box when a cross is put in. that's some serious running needed.
Something I don't think we will see with this current squad, but it's something to look forward to.

8 shots on target in 6 games on 09:03 - Apr 18 with 1685 viewsjayessess

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:02 - Apr 18 by chrismakin

What you missed and also the highlights don't show is we got into 5 maybe 6 occasions just outside their box, just needed someone brave

We do OK (no better than OK) getting into their third.
We're poor at making sure we at least attempt a cross, shot or through ball when we get there.
We're very poor at completing the crosses and through balls we do attempt.
We often hesitate and don't get a shot off at all when we do complete a cross or through ball.
We're OK at finishing, but you'd never know it because of all the above.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 10:18]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

8 shots on target in 6 games on 10:18 - Apr 18 with 1585 viewslongtimefan

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:33 - Apr 18 by chrismakin

Our body in box numbers are incredibly low, I know based on PC previous highlights of Wigan and Pompy, he wants at least 4 in the box when a cross is put in. that's some serious running needed.
Something I don't think we will see with this current squad, but it's something to look forward to.

What really annoys me is that when we get a free kick, we inevitably end up playing it short, and it usually ends up back with Holy. Why not take the opportunity to get players in the opposition box for once, even if the free kick is on halfway. We rarely get any number of players in the box in normal play so a free kick seems the perfect chance. Especially given that high proportion of our most recent goals (a fading memory) have come from dead ball situations.
8 shots on target in 6 games on 10:44 - Apr 18 with 1532 viewsAce_High1

Any point is a good point.

Whoever we play is a good side, in a false position with X and X who are good players that this level.

A clean sheet is what football is about not all this fancy attacking and scoring goals.
8 shots on target in 6 games on 10:51 - Apr 18 with 1507 viewsRadlett_blue

8 shots on target in 6 games on 10:18 - Apr 18 by longtimefan

What really annoys me is that when we get a free kick, we inevitably end up playing it short, and it usually ends up back with Holy. Why not take the opportunity to get players in the opposition box for once, even if the free kick is on halfway. We rarely get any number of players in the box in normal play so a free kick seems the perfect chance. Especially given that high proportion of our most recent goals (a fading memory) have come from dead ball situations.

Please add throw-ins to this list. I have lost count of the number of times Town win a throw-in in the opposition half. The nearest Town player picks up the ball, has a think & then gives it to a different Town player. He has a look around & now everyone is marked. So he hurls it 20 yards back to a Town defender who looks up, is pressurised & then passes it back to Holy. WHY can't they take throws quickly & throw them forwards & down the line if there is no better option?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

8 shots on target in 6 games on 12:41 - Apr 18 with 1427 viewsTieDyedIn95

8 shots on target in 6 games on 08:00 - Apr 18 by chrismakin

Dobra can be that midfielder but needs to play now so he can relax and get into u23 mode, shoot on sight. He was so hesitant to take a shot yesturday... his shooting has been 1 of his biggest promises in the u23s

Dobra is this generations Peters in terms of hype vs reality. He's played close to 20 games now surely, and so many supporters talking about him as if he's going to be the next big thing here, yet when he's on aside from running a bit, he looks as average as the rest of them. You even point this out, we have a guy who's now what 20-21, has played 20 odd first team games and is scared to shoot. He's not 15 and playing for the first time here.

U23's football, especially at the level our youth system plays at, is hardly a good barometer for how someone can play in the third division. We need to recruit better if we're serious about going up.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

8 shots on target in 6 games on 12:54 - Apr 18 with 1406 viewsjayessess

8 shots on target in 6 games on 12:41 - Apr 18 by TieDyedIn95

Dobra is this generations Peters in terms of hype vs reality. He's played close to 20 games now surely, and so many supporters talking about him as if he's going to be the next big thing here, yet when he's on aside from running a bit, he looks as average as the rest of them. You even point this out, we have a guy who's now what 20-21, has played 20 odd first team games and is scared to shoot. He's not 15 and playing for the first time here.

U23's football, especially at the level our youth system plays at, is hardly a good barometer for how someone can play in the third division. We need to recruit better if we're serious about going up.

Lol he turned 20 this week and has started 6 games in his entire Ipswich Town career. This has to be a new record for dismissing a young player.

If you're going to demand this kind of instant domination of adult football from academy players we seriously might as well shutter the place and go the Brentford route. Apart from Premier League loanees, I can't think of a single player at Dobra's development stage who's provided what you're asking for here.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

8 shots on target in 6 games on 13:40 - Apr 18 with 1360 viewslazyblue

Agree, the amount of bodies we get forward is so poor and if we do get into half decent crossing position we then have to go back, back and back again.
8 shots on target in 6 games on 14:33 - Apr 18 with 1314 viewslazyblue

Agree, the amount of bodies we get forward is so poor and if we do get into half decent crossing position we then have to go back, back and back again.
8 shots on target in 6 games on 15:02 - Apr 18 with 1280 viewsMrTown

It’s a reflection upon lack of quality in the final third. We certainly were better at getting down the sides, and made some good moments for ourselves, but unfortunately it does fall down to quality/decision making.

As stated yesterday, when you have Bennetts/Jackson/Edwards as your key attacking options, along with Bishop who is tidy but ultimately ineffective, you have little to no chance.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024