Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind 11:42 - Jul 19 with 3495 viewsunstableblue

We're off to a music festival this weekend.

A mum in the group we're going with was visiting a friend on Friday, she didn't have much contact with the daughter of the house, but that daughter has since tested positive for Covid, the mum of that house (who our friend had contact with) subsequently did a PCR which was clear... then today our festival friend has been pinged by NHS app to self isolate for 10 days from today. She has been doing lateral flows daily, all negative, and is attempting to organise a private PCR for Thurs ahead of festival.

She is double jabbed. And has to complete a videoed lateral flow on Thurs as well to get access to festival.

This with the back drop that most people are deleting the app, and soon the 10 day isolation rule will be retired in her case.

What's people's thoughts? she's desperate to go, and has other house members also going.

Sensible advice/opinions welcome please.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 11:48 - Jul 19 with 3151 viewsCaptainAhab

Jeez tough one. My feeling is if you've been told to self isolate, you should self isolate. But having said that if she keeps getting negative on laterals and can get a negative PCR in time then she can justifiably still go.
Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 11:49 - Jul 19 with 3147 viewsElderGrizzly

Sensible advice? Don't rely on the Lateral Flow Tests as an indicator of positivity/negative status. They are recognised as next to useless.

If the PCR is clear, then she should be ok to go.

And she can legally as the app is only advisory. If she gets a call from T&T then she legally has to self-isolate and they are checking on this more and more now.
Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 11:59 - Jul 19 with 3086 viewsunstableblue

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 11:49 - Jul 19 by ElderGrizzly

Sensible advice? Don't rely on the Lateral Flow Tests as an indicator of positivity/negative status. They are recognised as next to useless.

And she can legally as the app is only advisory. If she gets a call from T&T then she legally has to self-isolate and they are checking on this more and more now.

In another scenario when my son was sent home from school and he self isolated for 10 days (that was farcical, as the school allowed him to travel in to be told, and it was only half the classroom) - I was looking into a PCR and spoke to a private test centre - i didn't pursue as just hassle the school didn't need.

There view was Lateral Flow are useful, sometimes they provide false positives, rather than the other way round, and the issue is more people using them 1 or 2 days after contact rather than 3-5 when symptoms would trigger a response.

So they seem from this 'expert' to have some merit.

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 12:01 - Jul 19 with 3059 viewsElderGrizzly

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 11:59 - Jul 19 by unstableblue

In another scenario when my son was sent home from school and he self isolated for 10 days (that was farcical, as the school allowed him to travel in to be told, and it was only half the classroom) - I was looking into a PCR and spoke to a private test centre - i didn't pursue as just hassle the school didn't need.

There view was Lateral Flow are useful, sometimes they provide false positives, rather than the other way round, and the issue is more people using them 1 or 2 days after contact rather than 3-5 when symptoms would trigger a response.

Plenty of others disagree with their use including the Nursing Unions here, the BMJ and the US Government

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/11/us-health-agency-gives-innova-late

"
News
Covid-19: US regulator raises “significant concerns” over safety of rapid lateral flow tests
BMJ 2021; 373 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n1514 (Published 14 June 2021)
Cite this as: BMJ 2021;373:n1514
Opinion
Diagnostic tests must be more rigorously regulated

Article
Related content
Metrics
Responses
Gareth Iacobucci
Author affiliations
The US Food and Drug Agency (FDA) has raised concerns about the safety and the marketing of rapid lateral flow covid-19 tests, which are the cornerstone of the UK’s mass testing programme.

"On 10 June,1 the agency warned the public to stop using the Innova SARS-CoV-2 antigen rapid qualitative test for detecting infection and suggested the tests should be destroyed and binned or returned to the manufacturer.

The FDA published a class 1 recall of the test after an investigation carried out between March and April uncovered “significant concerns that the performance of the test has not been adequately established, presenting a risk to health.” Class 1 is the most serious kind of recall and indicates that use of the tests may cause serious injury or death"
Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 12:19 - Jul 19 with 2973 viewsParsley

Sounds to me like they were in close contact of the mum rather than the daughter, in which case they wouldn't have to isolate unless contacted by test & trace. From the NHS website:

"You may want to tell people you've been in close contact with in the past 48 hours that you might have COVID-19.

What does close contact mean?
Examples of close contact include:

close face to face contact (under 1 metre) for any length of time — including talking to them or coughing on them
being within 1 to 2 metres of each other for more than 15 minutes — including travelling in a small vehicle
spending lots of time in your home, such as cleaning it
They do not need to self-isolate unless they're contacted by the NHS Test and Trace service. But they should take extra care to follow advice on how to avoid catching and spreading COVID-19.

If they get any symptoms of COVID-19, they must self-isolate and get a test as soon as possible."
Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 12:25 - Jul 19 with 2934 viewsPinewoodblue

Not sure they have any option other than to self isolate.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 13:07 - Jul 19 with 2795 viewslazyblue

We are all desperate to do things but it’s tough luck if you can’t so get over it.
Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 13:39 - Jul 19 with 2681 viewsunstableblue

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 13:07 - Jul 19 by lazyblue

We are all desperate to do things but it’s tough luck if you can’t so get over it.

Yes - she'll be following the rules no doubt

Which is ridiculous really given she was going to all that trouble with PCR etc etc, and there was no real contact

And huge swathes of people have turned off the app, or ignoring it

Login to get fewer ads

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 13:43 - Jul 19 with 2668 viewsCaptainAhab

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 13:39 - Jul 19 by unstableblue

Yes - she'll be following the rules no doubt

Which is ridiculous really given she was going to all that trouble with PCR etc etc, and there was no real contact

And huge swathes of people have turned off the app, or ignoring it

Several million wrongs don't make a right!
Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 13:52 - Jul 19 with 2616 viewsunstableblue

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 13:43 - Jul 19 by CaptainAhab

Several million wrongs don't make a right!

Yeah and in less than a month, those who are double jabbed DON'T have to self isolate in the same situation!?

I personally think given the limited contact, the fact the mum who has tested negative on PCR, that she is going to isolate for 7 days and then take a PCR, with lateral flows along the way, shows far more spirit of care to fellow citizens and she should go!

When does self-isolation end?
Self-isolation rules will remain in place after 19 July but will change less than a month later, Sajid Javid confirmed.

The Health Secretary said that fully-vaccinated adults and anybody under 18 will be exempt from Monday 16 August, unless they test positive for Covid.

Current self-isolation guidelines will remain in place for those who have only received one Covid jab, or who are yet to receive their first dose.

Mr Javid said the country “will soon be able to take a risk-based approach that recognises the huge benefits that the vaccine provides”.

He added: “This new approach means we can manage the virus in a way that is proportionate to the pandemic while maintaining the freedoms that are so important to us all.”

More than 7 million people in England have received a call or notification from NHS Test and Trace asking them to self-isolate after coming into contact with a positive Covid case since the policy was introduced.

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:15 - Jul 19 with 2557 viewsTractorCam

Do the PCR test and if it's negative along with every other LFT she's done then she definitely does not have COVID and you should go if you want.

16 months of events etc missed, time to live your life. You never know when restrictions will come back into play.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:17 - Jul 19 with 2555 viewsTractorWood

I did lateral flows last week both with and without symptoms. All negative. Went for PCR and it was positive. A few people I know did similar. I really wouldn't use them as any type of logic behind doing or not doing something.

I've been double jabbed for month plus and am a pretty fit dude in my early 30s (triathlon mainly). I've been pretty ill for 5 days.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 14:21]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:19 - Jul 19 with 2539 viewsPhilTWTD

A friend of mine told me that her daughter was pinged but showed no symptoms and her boss made her continue to go to work. Anyone know if that's actually legal?
Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:20 - Jul 19 with 2525 viewsTractorCam

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:19 - Jul 19 by PhilTWTD

A friend of mine told me that her daughter was pinged but showed no symptoms and her boss made her continue to go to work. Anyone know if that's actually legal?

Definitely not legal.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:22 - Jul 19 with 2514 viewsPhilTWTD

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:20 - Jul 19 by TractorCam

Definitely not legal.

I bet there's a lot of that going on, particularly where people work in areas which have been badly hit and are desperate to keep their jobs.
Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:29 - Jul 19 with 2469 viewsElderGrizzly

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:20 - Jul 19 by TractorCam

Definitely not legal.

Depends if it was the app or a phone call. One is effectively advisory from a legal perspective.
Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:39 - Jul 19 with 2442 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Someone we know did 4 in 2 days...negative, positive, positive, negative!....coughing for all 4.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:53 - Jul 19 with 2371 viewsKieran_Knows

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 11:49 - Jul 19 by ElderGrizzly

I really don’t know what to believe anymore to be honest. I developed all symptoms associated to that of the delta variant last week after being at the final last Sunday, and was adamant I had it. Done 4 lateral flow tests, plus a PCR and all negative.

However have known people to test positive on lateral flow and negative on PCR, and visa versa (who had been at final).

Just a mess to be honest.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 15:01 - Jul 19 with 2334 viewsTractorWood

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:53 - Jul 19 by Kieran_Knows

I really don’t know what to believe anymore to be honest. I developed all symptoms associated to that of the delta variant last week after being at the final last Sunday, and was adamant I had it. Done 4 lateral flow tests, plus a PCR and all negative.

However have known people to test positive on lateral flow and negative on PCR, and visa versa (who had been at final).

Just a mess to be honest.

The majority of people I know who went last week (including me) all got it and carded positives Tuesday-Thursday last week with very similar and textbook symptoms.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 15:02 - Jul 19 with 2331 viewsPinewoodblue

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:29 - Jul 19 by ElderGrizzly

Depends if it was the app or a phone call. One is effectively advisory from a legal perspective.

NHS website doesn’t differentiate between the two.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 15:04 - Jul 19 with 2317 viewsKieran_Knows

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 15:01 - Jul 19 by TractorWood

The majority of people I know who went last week (including me) all got it and carded positives Tuesday-Thursday last week with very similar and textbook symptoms.

Sorry to hear that Tractor, hope you haven’t been caught too badly.

Amazingly, it looks like I just had a cold for this time of year. Hit me really hard on Wednesday, but have been fine ever since.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Very useful on 16:37 - Jul 19 with 2188 viewsunstableblue

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:17 - Jul 19 by TractorWood

I did lateral flows last week both with and without symptoms. All negative. Went for PCR and it was positive. A few people I know did similar. I really wouldn't use them as any type of logic behind doing or not doing something.

I've been double jabbed for month plus and am a pretty fit dude in my early 30s (triathlon mainly). I've been pretty ill for 5 days.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 14:21]

Thanks for that, think she's shying away from attending, but certainly lateral flows as someone else stated of limited value... although PCR negative would be a game changer

Sorry to hear you're unwell, amazing after 2 jabs, and being early 30s and doing tris.... that you're quite ill... hope you feel better soon

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 16:42 - Jul 19 with 2164 viewsunstableblue

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:19 - Jul 19 by PhilTWTD

Not sure about the legality but it sounds very unethical and uncaring

Legal if contacted directly by T&T, not binding if just a ping, that's why so many are ignoring I think.

This is what I read today:

Do I legally have to isolate if the app tells me to?
If you are contacted by NHS Test and Trace and told to self-isolate, it is a legal requirement that you must do so — however, this is not the case if you are pinged by the NHS app and told to isolate.

The app is only advisory, and while it is strongly recommended you self-isolate when you are told to, there is no legal requirement for you to do so.

The app works by alerting people when their phone registers that it has been in close contact with the phone of someone who has tested positive for Covid-19.

It does this using Bluetooth technology, as well as a special algorithm to determine when a phone has been within two metres of an infected person’s phone for 15 minutes or more.

If you come into contact with someone who is later found to have the virus, the app will notify you to self-isolate for 10 days or less, depending on how long ago you were in close proximity to the infected person. It also has a countdown telling you when you can leave isolation.

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 16:48 - Jul 19 with 2133 viewsPhilTWTD

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 16:42 - Jul 19 by unstableblue

Not sure about the legality but it sounds very unethical and uncaring

Legal if contacted directly by T&T, not binding if just a ping, that's why so many are ignoring I think.

This is what I read today:

Do I legally have to isolate if the app tells me to?
If you are contacted by NHS Test and Trace and told to self-isolate, it is a legal requirement that you must do so — however, this is not the case if you are pinged by the NHS app and told to isolate.

The app is only advisory, and while it is strongly recommended you self-isolate when you are told to, there is no legal requirement for you to do so.

The app works by alerting people when their phone registers that it has been in close contact with the phone of someone who has tested positive for Covid-19.

It does this using Bluetooth technology, as well as a special algorithm to determine when a phone has been within two metres of an infected person’s phone for 15 minutes or more.

If you come into contact with someone who is later found to have the virus, the app will notify you to self-isolate for 10 days or less, depending on how long ago you were in close proximity to the infected person. It also has a countdown telling you when you can leave isolation.

Got you. I think she just got a ping. Agree, unethical, uncaring and unfair whatever the legal requirements.
Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 16:50 - Jul 19 with 2126 viewsPhilTWTD

Covid ping advice? TWTD hive mind on 14:29 - Jul 19 by ElderGrizzly

What about a text? Is that a requirement? Mine read like it was.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024