Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Evans and Harper conundrum 13:49 - Aug 18 with 2415 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I am sure this has been discussed and apologies if it has, I have been trying not to think about Ipswich after last night.

They look good on the eye, can play a nice pass. But they dont break lines, they dont really win the ball back and I feel like they dont really impact the game. We lose a lot of second balls.

It seems like we are missing a big strong defensive midfielder who get stuck in. That will almost certainly help the back 4 as well. But I just dont feel like this midfield will work.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 13:54 - Aug 18 with 2357 viewsDarth_Koont

Think they’ve worked really well when we’ve had the ball and we’re pushing forward/opposition are dropping back.

We just need to work out how to get them working when we get concertina’d and put under pressure ourselves.

Personally, I hope they can push further up the more confident they are in the CBs and overall defence behind them. We’re clearly not there yet.

Pronouns: He/Him

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 13:56 - Aug 18 with 2335 viewsjayessess

I thought Evans was ostensibly recruited as this "big strong defensive midfielder"? I've seen both play good passes breaking the lines and Harper's quite good at drifting past his marker.

One thing that is limiting their contributions is that as far as I can tell we're choosing not to run the game through them.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 15:25 - Aug 18 with 2044 viewsOsborneOneNil

Last night, I thought Evans won a lot, plenty of headers too in the middle of the park. He was everywhere.

Harper is class in a jar.
The Evans and Harper conundrum on 21:21 - Aug 18 with 1790 viewschrismakin

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 15:25 - Aug 18 by OsborneOneNil

Last night, I thought Evans won a lot, plenty of headers too in the middle of the park. He was everywhere.

Harper is class in a jar.

RB
CB
CB

All fine

LB
AM
RM
Needs better

Striker.. still don't know who's best

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 21:28 - Aug 18 with 1774 viewsCuffy81

I don't disagree with this, they are both good players on the ball with good passing range, the issue with both full backs pushing on is that they have to cover and try and win the ball back.

I'd like to see a natural experienced defensive midfielder come in, a Legwinski type.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 21:33]
The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:51 - Aug 21 with 1466 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

BUMP

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:52 - Aug 21 with 1445 viewspointofblue

I just started another thread saying how dreadful they were today. It's difficult for Cook; you have to wonder whether he'll try replacing one of them with Carroll. Saying that, we were little better in that area of the park after his introduction.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:54 - Aug 21 with 1431 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:52 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

I just started another thread saying how dreadful they were today. It's difficult for Cook; you have to wonder whether he'll try replacing one of them with Carroll. Saying that, we were little better in that area of the park after his introduction.

For me, Carroll won't change it, as he is quite a similar player. I think we miss a Skuse type player. Who breaks up play, wins second balls and likes a tackle. We just do not have that at the club

Login to get fewer ads

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:55 - Aug 21 with 1412 viewspointofblue

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:54 - Aug 21 by TRUE_BLUE123

For me, Carroll won't change it, as he is quite a similar player. I think we miss a Skuse type player. Who breaks up play, wins second balls and likes a tackle. We just do not have that at the club

I agree. Ironically there was a time we had too many of them, now we don't have enough. I'm hoping Cook can see it and is asking Ashton to recruit, even if that does mean we'll have to move someone else out of the squad.

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:57 - Aug 21 with 1396 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:55 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

I agree. Ironically there was a time we had too many of them, now we don't have enough. I'm hoping Cook can see it and is asking Ashton to recruit, even if that does mean we'll have to move someone else out of the squad.

I would hope he has seen it. Regardless of whether it clicks up top or not, which It nearly has, we look dangerous going forward, we will keep conceding unless we sort out this midfield.

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:57 - Aug 21 with 1383 viewschrismakin

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:54 - Aug 21 by TRUE_BLUE123

A skuse type player wouldn't suit a 4 2 3 1.

There is nothing wrong with our set up. Individual errors aside, we're looking at more than 2 points.

People looking for problems. The problem is as simple as individual errors, nothing more nothing less.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:59 - Aug 21 with 1376 viewsChrisd

That would be my last bit of business in this transfer window, go out and sign a combative midfielder that enjoys doing the horrible stuff, but provides that defensive shield in-front of our back 4 both Evans and Harper want to get forward and don't provide the defensive cover especially with our full backs given the license to get forwards too. Then, play one of them with the new signing, not both.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2021 18:07]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:00 - Aug 21 with 1363 viewspointofblue

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:57 - Aug 21 by chrismakin

There is nothing wrong with our set up. Individual errors aside, we're looking at more than 2 points.

People looking for problems. The problem is as simple as individual errors, nothing more nothing less.

We couldn't control the game for love or money today. Either it's a tactical issue or a player issue but we cannot keep allowing players than amount of time on the ball.

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:09 - Aug 21 with 1299 viewschrismakin

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:00 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

We couldn't control the game for love or money today. Either it's a tactical issue or a player issue but we cannot keep allowing players than amount of time on the ball.

No one controls a game v mk dons. Everyone tried last season, it doesn't happen.
You take the chances you get, like we managed twice today, and almost with Burns too

our killer is the individual errors

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:13 - Aug 21 with 1286 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 17:57 - Aug 21 by chrismakin

Absolute nonsense its not even about the goals conceded, we have lost the midfield battle 4/4 so far in my opinion. We are abysmal when it comes to second balls and Evans keeps playing ridiculous passes. Did so against Burton for the goal and Morecambe.

It isn't looking for problems when we have not won a game yet, people are allowed to criticise where things are wrong.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2021 18:16]

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:14 - Aug 21 with 1271 viewspointofblue

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:09 - Aug 21 by chrismakin

No one controls a game v mk dons. Everyone tried last season, it doesn't happen.
You take the chances you get, like we managed twice today, and almost with Burns too

our killer is the individual errors

We spent all that on revigorating the squad to be in the same position as we were last season v MK Dons? Really? We even signed their best player.

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:16 - Aug 21 with 1244 viewschrismakin

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:13 - Aug 21 by TRUE_BLUE123

Absolute nonsense its not even about the goals conceded, we have lost the midfield battle 4/4 so far in my opinion. We are abysmal when it comes to second balls and Evans keeps playing ridiculous passes. Did so against Burton for the goal and Morecambe.

It isn't looking for problems when we have not won a game yet, people are allowed to criticise where things are wrong.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2021 18:16]

You can criticise all you like, doesn't mean I have to agree.

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:19 - Aug 21 with 1224 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:16 - Aug 21 by chrismakin

You can criticise all you like, doesn't mean I have to agree.

So you are really watching this team, and the only thing to be concerned about is individual errors, that midfield is fine as it is ?

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:54 - Aug 21 with 1131 viewschrismakin

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:19 - Aug 21 by TRUE_BLUE123

So you are really watching this team, and the only thing to be concerned about is individual errors, that midfield is fine as it is ?

Yes. And I belive it will get stronger too.

I said a few weeks ago. We were going into pre season 2. As much as most won't like it, it was inevitable.

With the style we look to play the way our fullbacks push etc there will be gaps. It's inevitable.

When you play teams like MK they pass around with ease and will get through at times again inevitable.

The individual issues is what has cost us.

Back in the Burley years and royles there were times people would look at the midfield and claim we were lacking something, but it's because we are looking to attack ourselves.

We aren't sitting. We won't sit under cook either and that gap you seek to fill in won't happen.

But, we hopefully will start seeing our goal numbers increase and individual mistakes lesson and win games like today 2-0 or 2-1 which is fine.

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 19:06 - Aug 21 with 1099 viewscressi

I 100% don't believe we will come top 2
With this pairing have to protect the back 4 so much more think a hard working tough midfielder with legs is required
On another note I thought Burgess and the woolf did well today
The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:49 - Aug 28 with 880 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Bump again ??

Soft as sh1t. Evans doesn't tackle, he just dives in and they ghost past him. Harper and Evans will not work, it is not strong enough.

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 23:00 - Aug 28 with 680 viewsTheBlueGnu

They're both sh1t

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 23:04 - Aug 28 with 665 viewspointofblue

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 18:14 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

We spent all that on revigorating the squad to be in the same position as we were last season v MK Dons? Really? We even signed their best player.

It's deja vu - just replace MK Dons with Wimbledon.

The Evans and Harper conundrum on 23:09 - Aug 28 with 650 viewstextbackup

Evans wears the armband, something held for a long time by captain of failure.
He’ll take sht for this, no doubt. Given time he can grow into the role and the position
[Post edited 28 Aug 2021 23:46]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024