Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment 10:57 - Oct 28 with 6029 viewsgtsb1966

Maybe hiring our cast offs wasn't such a good move after all. Has left their squad very thin on the ground so it seems.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59064578
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 11:10 - Oct 28 with 4240 viewstextbackup

taking a player from a team that has under preformed season after season could see that player get a new lease of life in new surroundings....

taking 4 players, all on a massive downward trend of their careers, constantly failing, was absolute madness when you look at it now. i thought they'd hold their own, but reading/hearing some of the colololchester fans opinions on old ex lot it seems they really arent.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 11:41 - Oct 28 with 4019 viewsbobbyramsey

"I would imagine that if we get our most expensive 11 on the pitch we'd probably match anybody else's most expensive 11," Cowling said.

Probably the oldest and the slowest too.....
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:00 - Oct 28 with 3884 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Wasn't it such a good move? Some 'experts' on here had been saying last summer that they were getting 'fantastic professionals' from us and would be in the promotion mix.
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:06 - Oct 28 with 3846 viewsHipsterectomy

Is Lambert’s final season beginning to look like a success for him? He still had us within touching distance of the playoffs when he was sacked, and the spine of the team were these Colchester failures

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:11 - Oct 28 with 3791 viewsrickw

Maybe they should start playing Dobra then!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:13 - Oct 28 with 3768 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:06 - Oct 28 by Hipsterectomy

Is Lambert’s final season beginning to look like a success for him? He still had us within touching distance of the playoffs when he was sacked, and the spine of the team were these Colchester failures

No, seeing as he chose to sign/extend contracts of pretty much the whole squad from last season, and they really weren’t the spine of our team. Chambers aside Judge didn’t start in a third of our games, Sears started 15 and Skuse started 1

Lamberts performance looks like a success when compared with Cooks after taking over however, and arguably against Cook this season too so far - although hopefully the latter is in the process of changing

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:21 - Oct 28 with 3680 viewsHipsterectomy

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:13 - Oct 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No, seeing as he chose to sign/extend contracts of pretty much the whole squad from last season, and they really weren’t the spine of our team. Chambers aside Judge didn’t start in a third of our games, Sears started 15 and Skuse started 1

Lamberts performance looks like a success when compared with Cooks after taking over however, and arguably against Cook this season too so far - although hopefully the latter is in the process of changing

Kenlock, Holy and Jackson can’t get a game here. Gwion has 1 league game start with Wigan out of 14. Hawkins, Ward and Drinan moved down a league.

Though Cornell, Bishop, Dozzell and Downes have had arguably better moves since.

No manager in their right mind is going to be signing Oli Hawkins unless you seriously have no money

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:25 - Oct 28 with 3639 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:21 - Oct 28 by Hipsterectomy

Kenlock, Holy and Jackson can’t get a game here. Gwion has 1 league game start with Wigan out of 14. Hawkins, Ward and Drinan moved down a league.

Though Cornell, Bishop, Dozzell and Downes have had arguably better moves since.

No manager in their right mind is going to be signing Oli Hawkins unless you seriously have no money

I was listing the Colchester players as you said the spine of the team were those that went to Colchester

I think the wider squad can be debated (notably you’ve left out Wilson who has been a regular at the team top of our division) but ultimately that was the squad put together by Lambert as stated

As for Hawkins, you’ve rather summarised that point nicely given who signed him last Summer!

Login to get fewer ads

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:27 - Oct 28 with 3630 viewsgtsb1966

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:00 - Oct 28 by Mach_foreignBlue

Wasn't it such a good move? Some 'experts' on here had been saying last summer that they were getting 'fantastic professionals' from us and would be in the promotion mix.

To be honest I thought they would have enough to get in the playoffs and when Dobra signed I definitely thought they would. What do I know.
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:29 - Oct 28 with 3599 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:27 - Oct 28 by gtsb1966

To be honest I thought they would have enough to get in the playoffs and when Dobra signed I definitely thought they would. What do I know.

The boy certainly has a potential but again....some had been saying he should be playing games for us. Vastly overrated by some but might have a positive future.
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:32 - Oct 28 with 3574 viewsgtsb1966

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:29 - Oct 28 by Mach_foreignBlue

The boy certainly has a potential but again....some had been saying he should be playing games for us. Vastly overrated by some but might have a positive future.

He has enough talent to get in a failing league two side that's for sure. Why he isn't in the starting eleven I don't know.
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:47 - Oct 28 with 3464 viewsistanblue

Interesting point. Also rather justifies Cook's 'demolition man' stance. Players like Chambers, Skuse, Judge and Sears were well past it (despite some happy-clappers saying they were legends and should stay lmfao). All the bombed out players in fact (with the exception of Wilson) thoroughly deserved to get the axe as they had failed and underperformed for years in many cases.
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 13:13 - Oct 28 with 3299 viewsChurchman

It seemed an odd strategy to me at the time. One or two experienced players, ok. But Sears, Chambers, Judge and Skuse at varying distances over the hill seemed a bit lazy and short term to me. Dobra seemed a good loan for them, but they don’t play him. They’re in a mess.

As for the others, Downes, who wanted away a long while ago, will have a good career and may even make the lower reaches of the PL. I hope Bishop can stay fit and enjoy the second half of his career. He’s a good little player and at about at the right level. Wilson is 32 and playing well, again at the right level. I’ve no idea how Dozzell is doing. Well I hope.

It’s a shame we kept Nolan, Jackson and Norwood, but Toto and JD are proving assets. As ever, not every decision is going to be right.

On the whole, I think we have a much better squad now and I hope results show that in coming months. The strategy of wholesale carnage was be forever debated, but personally I’ve no time for last season’s mob. However, I still think Cook was wrong in the way he went about it.
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 13:29 - Oct 28 with 3162 viewsClapham_Junction

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 11:41 - Oct 28 by bobbyramsey

"I would imagine that if we get our most expensive 11 on the pitch we'd probably match anybody else's most expensive 11," Cowling said.

Probably the oldest and the slowest too.....

Will be very interesting to see how they do against a young Sudbury team on a quick pitch.
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 13:36 - Oct 28 with 3113 viewsjayessess

Only if you look at squad building as effectively outside the manager's purview. By the time Lambert left there were very few players who he hadn't actively brought or kept at the club.

He signed Judge, refused a fee for him after signing him. He extended contracts for Chambers, Skuse and Sears. If they weren't good enough to compete in League One that was Lambert's fault.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 14:56 - Oct 28 with 2849 viewsIllinoisblue

They may need to get KVY in on loan to help in their relegation battle

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 15:54 - Oct 28 with 2662 viewsKeaneish

McCarthy to Col U; its happening...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 16:21 - Oct 28 with 2538 viewsOsborneOneNil

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 15:54 - Oct 28 by Keaneish

McCarthy to Col U; its happening...

They'll become brilliant, for 5 games.
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 16:31 - Oct 28 with 2499 viewsChurchman

No. That some of these players are in a struggling Col U team is just a reflection of age and the team they’re in, in my view. Lambert had no idea what he was doing. Utterly clueless. He left the club with a squad of 40+ players, no team, just chaos. A bunch that tried to get Cook sacked by chucking in the towel, just as some of them did Hurst.

Lambert’s team lost 6 of 8 home games in the key mid part of the season and for most of those matches the result was a forgone conclusion. That they were so close to the play offs when PL was rightly dumped was the result of a good start (before other teams got going - a bit like us this year) and three straight wins, one of which was against 10 men.

Lambert was lucky to keep his job after abject relegation and should have been booted out the following December. Instead, clueless, disinterested Evans gave the clown a five year contract.

Success? The only success PL had was trousering a five year contract from which he presumably reaped a comfortable retirement income.
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 20:28 - Oct 28 with 2126 viewsOsborneOneNil

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 16:31 - Oct 28 by Churchman

No. That some of these players are in a struggling Col U team is just a reflection of age and the team they’re in, in my view. Lambert had no idea what he was doing. Utterly clueless. He left the club with a squad of 40+ players, no team, just chaos. A bunch that tried to get Cook sacked by chucking in the towel, just as some of them did Hurst.

Lambert’s team lost 6 of 8 home games in the key mid part of the season and for most of those matches the result was a forgone conclusion. That they were so close to the play offs when PL was rightly dumped was the result of a good start (before other teams got going - a bit like us this year) and three straight wins, one of which was against 10 men.

Lambert was lucky to keep his job after abject relegation and should have been booted out the following December. Instead, clueless, disinterested Evans gave the clown a five year contract.

Success? The only success PL had was trousering a five year contract from which he presumably reaped a comfortable retirement income.

Well said.

The decision by Cook to bomb them all out was 100% justified, despite it upsetting the Chambers fan club. This will be become clearer and clearer as the season goes on.
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 21:03 - Oct 28 with 2015 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 20:28 - Oct 28 by OsborneOneNil

Well said.

The decision by Cook to bomb them all out was 100% justified, despite it upsetting the Chambers fan club. This will be become clearer and clearer as the season goes on.

Exactly like that. Skuse/Chambers disease was the team's main problem for a while. No pressure, everything is nice, cosy and easy at Ipswich etc etc. That chapter is thankfully closed.

Them two and other failures who left the club would have probably stayed on if Evans had still been in charge. They would have been constantly labelled as great professionals by some regardless of results. In case of bad results Cook would have been a main culprit for some not 'the great professionals' just Cook.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2021 0:01]
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 21:28 - Oct 28 with 1928 viewsKeaneish

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:13 - Oct 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

“Lamberts performance looks like a success when compared with Cooks after taking over however, and arguably against Cook this season too so far - although hopefully the latter is in the process of changing”

Horrific post all round that

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 10:16 - Oct 29 with 1469 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 21:28 - Oct 28 by Keaneish

“Lamberts performance looks like a success when compared with Cooks after taking over however, and arguably against Cook this season too so far - although hopefully the latter is in the process of changing”

Horrific post all round that

Ah yes, it’s a horrific post all round if you completely ignore inconvenient facts such as:

- Cook achieving worse results with the same players last season
- Cooks rebuilt squad achieving significantly less PPG so far (1.42) than we did under Lambert last season (1.62)
- Cooks side still occupying a lower position in the table than the one in which Lambert left us
- Us spending most of the season so far in the bottom half of the table, something even Lambert never managed to achieve

I would agree recent results have shown promise and therefore hopefully this will change shortly however I’m struggling to see what metrics you would use to demonstrate that Cook has outperformed Lambert so far - perhaps you could shed some light on this?

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 10:55 - Oct 29 with 1402 viewsChurchman

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 10:16 - Oct 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Ah yes, it’s a horrific post all round if you completely ignore inconvenient facts such as:

- Cooks rebuilt squad achieving significantly less PPG so far (1.42) than we did under Lambert last season (1.62)
- Cooks side still occupying a lower position in the table than the one in which Lambert left us
- Us spending most of the season so far in the bottom half of the table, something even Lambert never managed to achieve

I would agree recent results have shown promise and therefore hopefully this will change shortly however I’m struggling to see what metrics you would use to demonstrate that Cook has outperformed Lambert so far - perhaps you could shed some light on this?

I don’t think anyone is saying that Cook has been anything like a success since he’s been here. He has made plenty of mistakes and for me the jury is still out on him. However, I don’t buy this we’d be better off with Lambert justified by stats approach. You can use stats to show whatever you like. If for example you compared Cooks win ratio over the last five years with Lambert’s I suspect Cook’s would be miles better. But it would be irrelevant.

Lambert was pathetic here and lucky to still be in a job at the end of his first season. Nabbing a few early wins against sides like Blackpool, who had yet to get going, masked how truly awful we were. PL never tried to build a side. He just kept throwing more and more players at it hoping something would turn up! A Mr Macawber without the charm. Did he actually know who all of them were or why he’d acquired them? It didn’t look like it. To be taken to the cleaners by Swindon at home? Jeez…. I raised a glass or two when he was booted out.

Cook, whatever his failings to date, whatever the stats may prove, is trying to build a team. It is clear what his is looking for. The only thing Lambert ever built was a good collection of Celtic and Dortmund videos.

I’d take Cook over that idiot any time, despite my reservations on his performance to date.
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 10:57 - Oct 29 with 1393 viewsDavoIPB

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 10:16 - Oct 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah but Cooks current team is actually a much better footballing side. Better set up and now looking like it can compete consistently in this league.

I still don't quite understand why people thought Chambers was so good. He had passion and gave 100% every time but not a quality footballer. When we were in the championship he was consistently our worst performer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024