Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment 10:57 - Oct 28 with 6039 viewsgtsb1966

Maybe hiring our cast offs wasn't such a good move after all. Has left their squad very thin on the ground so it seems.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59064578
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 11:07 - Oct 29 with 1663 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:13 - Oct 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No, seeing as he chose to sign/extend contracts of pretty much the whole squad from last season, and they really weren’t the spine of our team. Chambers aside Judge didn’t start in a third of our games, Sears started 15 and Skuse started 1

Lamberts performance looks like a success when compared with Cooks after taking over however, and arguably against Cook this season too so far - although hopefully the latter is in the process of changing

"Lamberts performance looks like a success when compared with Cooks"

You don't half talk some nonsense on here. You keep banging this drum that Lambert did so much better than Cook (when in reality there wasn't much in it). But why? Do you have a thing for gobby Glaswegians or something?

"and arguably against Cook this season too so far"

haha, what?!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 11:08 - Oct 29 with 1663 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 10:55 - Oct 29 by Churchman

I don’t think anyone is saying that Cook has been anything like a success since he’s been here. He has made plenty of mistakes and for me the jury is still out on him. However, I don’t buy this we’d be better off with Lambert justified by stats approach. You can use stats to show whatever you like. If for example you compared Cooks win ratio over the last five years with Lambert’s I suspect Cook’s would be miles better. But it would be irrelevant.

Lambert was pathetic here and lucky to still be in a job at the end of his first season. Nabbing a few early wins against sides like Blackpool, who had yet to get going, masked how truly awful we were. PL never tried to build a side. He just kept throwing more and more players at it hoping something would turn up! A Mr Macawber without the charm. Did he actually know who all of them were or why he’d acquired them? It didn’t look like it. To be taken to the cleaners by Swindon at home? Jeez…. I raised a glass or two when he was booted out.

Cook, whatever his failings to date, whatever the stats may prove, is trying to build a team. It is clear what his is looking for. The only thing Lambert ever built was a good collection of Celtic and Dortmund videos.

I’d take Cook over that idiot any time, despite my reservations on his performance to date.

Probably worth reading the post mine was in response to, and indeed the rest of Keaneish’s output before writing things like ‘I don’t think anyone is saying that Cook has been anything like a success since he’s been here’

I actually agree with most of the rest of your post, and haven’t argued otherwise. As for Lambert I hated him and he should have gone in December 2020, and when he did finally go Cook was the realistic manager I hoped for (in fact I wasn’t even convinced he was realistic). Which makes the fact that his performance to date has been even worse than Lamberts all the more galling

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 11:16 - Oct 29 with 1643 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 11:07 - Oct 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

"Lamberts performance looks like a success when compared with Cooks"

You don't half talk some nonsense on here. You keep banging this drum that Lambert did so much better than Cook (when in reality there wasn't much in it). But why? Do you have a thing for gobby Glaswegians or something?

"and arguably against Cook this season too so far"

haha, what?!

Per my response to Keaneish, those statements are based on the fact that pretty much every quantifiable measure (points, league position etc) were better under Lambert than they have been so far under Cook. Presumably your only argument to the contrary is once again that most of Cooks results didn’t count?

Friendly reminder that you were doing this exact act with Lambert last January when most of the board, including myself, were calling for him to be sacked. In fact I’m pretty sure you called him the best manager in the league around that time, which is somehow even more hilarious now than it was at the time

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 11:59 - Oct 29 with 1589 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 11:16 - Oct 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Per my response to Keaneish, those statements are based on the fact that pretty much every quantifiable measure (points, league position etc) were better under Lambert than they have been so far under Cook. Presumably your only argument to the contrary is once again that most of Cooks results didn’t count?

Friendly reminder that you were doing this exact act with Lambert last January when most of the board, including myself, were calling for him to be sacked. In fact I’m pretty sure you called him the best manager in the league around that time, which is somehow even more hilarious now than it was at the time

If you want to look strictly at points and league position while removing all context then yeah, you're quite right, we were higher in the table when Lambert left. Might as well sack Cook on that basis.

The rest is just made up nonsense.

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:10 - Oct 29 with 1563 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 11:59 - Oct 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

If you want to look strictly at points and league position while removing all context then yeah, you're quite right, we were higher in the table when Lambert left. Might as well sack Cook on that basis.

The rest is just made up nonsense.

Well in football, points and league positions tend to be the barometer given the purpose is to actually, you know, win football games

As for the rest, are you saying you weren’t calling Lambert the best manager in the league last Jan? Quite the history rewrite, hell I’m pretty sure you were still falling over yourself to depend him this Jan

On the subject of made up nonsense though, I haven’t called for Cook to be sacked either. Although, and this might come as a shock to you, if he continues to perform worse than Lambert did he almost certainly will be sooner rather than later. Hopefully that won’t be the case and we can build on recent momentum

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:17 - Oct 29 with 1542 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:10 - Oct 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Well in football, points and league positions tend to be the barometer given the purpose is to actually, you know, win football games

As for the rest, are you saying you weren’t calling Lambert the best manager in the league last Jan? Quite the history rewrite, hell I’m pretty sure you were still falling over yourself to depend him this Jan

On the subject of made up nonsense though, I haven’t called for Cook to be sacked either. Although, and this might come as a shock to you, if he continues to perform worse than Lambert did he almost certainly will be sooner rather than later. Hopefully that won’t be the case and we can build on recent momentum

Nope, I wasn't calling Lambert the best manager in the league last Jan. Feel free to link where I did but it will be difficult linking the inside of your own head.

"Well in football, points and league positions tend to be the barometer given the purpose is to actually, you know, win football games."

And that sums up where you get it wrong. I suspect you're a middle manager who spends a lot of time looking at spreadsheets? I was joking when I said looking at our league position now and Lambert's when he left, then we were doing better under Lambert, but you think that's actually a decent barometer to judge things by!

Crikey.

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 13:18 - Oct 29 with 1478 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 12:17 - Oct 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

Nope, I wasn't calling Lambert the best manager in the league last Jan. Feel free to link where I did but it will be difficult linking the inside of your own head.

"Well in football, points and league positions tend to be the barometer given the purpose is to actually, you know, win football games."

And that sums up where you get it wrong. I suspect you're a middle manager who spends a lot of time looking at spreadsheets? I was joking when I said looking at our league position now and Lambert's when he left, then we were doing better under Lambert, but you think that's actually a decent barometer to judge things by!

Crikey.

I stand corrected, it was February rather than January. Bottom of page 2 onwards

It's just utterly depressing watching us by itfcjoe 2 Feb 2020 10:05
I sat until the bitter end to see the players and management team leave the pitch, and PR is becoming a depressing place again - like it has been for a while.

I just can't workout how we can't get a team of talented footballers at this level playing above themselves and the sum of their parts.

It goes back to the rotation for me, of styles, shapes and personnel - we just don't look anything close to where we should be and it is no surprise the well organised teams at the top of this league make us look distinctly second best.

I was fairly positive and a bit bullish after we'd finally settled on something and seemed to be clicking, but it has come unstuck and hard to see it turning back round. We'll do enough to stay in the top 6, but no one will fear us in the play offs.

The club is in my blood, and is my life - I can't give up on it even if I wanted to, but it is so frustrating, seeing the mistakes being made and us continuously go down the wrong path.

Why can't Evans see this? What is he waiting for or doing here?

I’ll ignore the weird personal dig
[Post edited 29 Oct 2021 13:32]

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 13:52 - Oct 29 with 1428 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 13:18 - Oct 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I stand corrected, it was February rather than January. Bottom of page 2 onwards

It's just utterly depressing watching us by itfcjoe 2 Feb 2020 10:05
I sat until the bitter end to see the players and management team leave the pitch, and PR is becoming a depressing place again - like it has been for a while.

I just can't workout how we can't get a team of talented footballers at this level playing above themselves and the sum of their parts.

It goes back to the rotation for me, of styles, shapes and personnel - we just don't look anything close to where we should be and it is no surprise the well organised teams at the top of this league make us look distinctly second best.

I was fairly positive and a bit bullish after we'd finally settled on something and seemed to be clicking, but it has come unstuck and hard to see it turning back round. We'll do enough to stay in the top 6, but no one will fear us in the play offs.

The club is in my blood, and is my life - I can't give up on it even if I wanted to, but it is so frustrating, seeing the mistakes being made and us continuously go down the wrong path.

Why can't Evans see this? What is he waiting for or doing here?

I’ll ignore the weird personal dig
[Post edited 29 Oct 2021 13:32]

haha, once again you removed all CONTEXT.

'Just 7 days ago Lambert was the best manager in the division, going on league placings.'

This is clearly a tongue-in-cheek comment as we were top at the time mentioned. It's clearly NOT saying "he's the best manager in the league"!

Are you dumb or just on a wind-up? It can be hard to tell.

EDIT: And what's even more hilarious is later in that thread you do the actual OPPOSITE of what you're doing IN THIS THREAD;

"Surely the folly of just using the league table to say x manager is better than y is evidenced by the fact that using that logic, Lambert has in the space of a week gone from being the best manager in the division to the 4th best, and by next week could suddenly be anything from the 2nd to 7th best?"

You're either dumb, a troll or a contrarian looking for an argument.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2021 14:05]

Login to get fewer ads

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 14:40 - Oct 29 with 1359 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 13:52 - Oct 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

haha, once again you removed all CONTEXT.

'Just 7 days ago Lambert was the best manager in the division, going on league placings.'

This is clearly a tongue-in-cheek comment as we were top at the time mentioned. It's clearly NOT saying "he's the best manager in the league"!

Are you dumb or just on a wind-up? It can be hard to tell.

EDIT: And what's even more hilarious is later in that thread you do the actual OPPOSITE of what you're doing IN THIS THREAD;

"Surely the folly of just using the league table to say x manager is better than y is evidenced by the fact that using that logic, Lambert has in the space of a week gone from being the best manager in the division to the 4th best, and by next week could suddenly be anything from the 2nd to 7th best?"

You're either dumb, a troll or a contrarian looking for an argument.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2021 14:05]

So tongue in cheek you then followed up with things like the below, whilst arguing the point for 8 pages:
“Surely league placing is as good as any yardstick to measure a manager's ability, and it's a fact that we were top of the pile last weekend”

“Not sure where this discussion can go if you think the logic of "manager of top placed team might be the top manager" is baffling. Seems pretty straightforward to me.”

I also haven’t changed my view as far as I can see? My point in that thread was that it isn’t as simple as just looking at the table, as there are clearly different budgets and expectations. I would argue that the expectation of a side with our current budget is even higher than it was then, so being even further down the table represents a bigger under performance as it stands, although obviously recent performances show promise. Which is why I wanted Lambert sacked in Feb 2020 and why I don’t current want Cook sacked in Oct 21

So no I don’t think my view has changed, as opposed to say arguing in one thread that being top of the league means a manager is the best in the division, and then in another that league positions are irrelevant. Maybe it’s you that’s dumb/a contrarian/a troll, or just looking for an argument?
[Post edited 29 Oct 2021 14:41]

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 15:09 - Oct 29 with 1325 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 14:40 - Oct 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So tongue in cheek you then followed up with things like the below, whilst arguing the point for 8 pages:
“Surely league placing is as good as any yardstick to measure a manager's ability, and it's a fact that we were top of the pile last weekend”

“Not sure where this discussion can go if you think the logic of "manager of top placed team might be the top manager" is baffling. Seems pretty straightforward to me.”

I also haven’t changed my view as far as I can see? My point in that thread was that it isn’t as simple as just looking at the table, as there are clearly different budgets and expectations. I would argue that the expectation of a side with our current budget is even higher than it was then, so being even further down the table represents a bigger under performance as it stands, although obviously recent performances show promise. Which is why I wanted Lambert sacked in Feb 2020 and why I don’t current want Cook sacked in Oct 21

So no I don’t think my view has changed, as opposed to say arguing in one thread that being top of the league means a manager is the best in the division, and then in another that league positions are irrelevant. Maybe it’s you that’s dumb/a contrarian/a troll, or just looking for an argument?
[Post edited 29 Oct 2021 14:41]

YOU IN THIS THREAD:
"In football, points and league positions tend to be the barometer given the purpose is to actually, you know, win football games."

YOU IN THAT THREAD:
"Surely the folly of just using the league table to say x manager is better than y..."

TOTAL CONTRADICTION.

Regards to what I was saying, again you've taken me out of context and cherrypicked the quotes. You took my initial post literally and are doing so again, even though I qualified it later in the thread for the hard-of-thinking;

"It's not the only evidence and I never said it was. I'm just suggesting that Lambert can't be completely clueless given he had us top last weekend."

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 15:23 - Oct 29 with 1311 viewsKeaneish

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 10:16 - Oct 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Ah yes, it’s a horrific post all round if you completely ignore inconvenient facts such as:

- Cook achieving worse results with the same players last season
- Cooks rebuilt squad achieving significantly less PPG so far (1.42) than we did under Lambert last season (1.62)
- Cooks side still occupying a lower position in the table than the one in which Lambert left us
- Us spending most of the season so far in the bottom half of the table, something even Lambert never managed to achieve

I would agree recent results have shown promise and therefore hopefully this will change shortly however I’m struggling to see what metrics you would use to demonstrate that Cook has outperformed Lambert so far - perhaps you could shed some light on this?

Very black and white you salt of the earth types, that’s the problem. It explains why you’re still so wedded to Big Mick. You’ll only get onboard with the programme when the points are on the board despite the obvious progress toward that and all the good that is also going on. Must I really lost all the positive aspects that Cook had brought to this club beyond Lambert? It’s night and day isn’t it?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 15:36 - Oct 29 with 1287 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 15:09 - Oct 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

YOU IN THIS THREAD:
"In football, points and league positions tend to be the barometer given the purpose is to actually, you know, win football games."

YOU IN THAT THREAD:
"Surely the folly of just using the league table to say x manager is better than y..."

TOTAL CONTRADICTION.

Regards to what I was saying, again you've taken me out of context and cherrypicked the quotes. You took my initial post literally and are doing so again, even though I qualified it later in the thread for the hard-of-thinking;

"It's not the only evidence and I never said it was. I'm just suggesting that Lambert can't be completely clueless given he had us top last weekend."

Those points don’t contradict each other when you actually post the full quote on the second one, which was making the point that expectations differ between clubs. Cherry picking quotes you say?

I don’t believe that contradicts the fact that results are ultimately the barometer of success for a manager, the difference is how good the results need to be to be judged a success. In Cooks case, I would argue once again that managing one of the biggest and well funded clubs in the division mean that results have so far largely been poor, albeit with some recent signs of improvement

You also seem oblivious that you are arguing the opposite point on both threads, so if I’m contradicting myself then by definition you must be too

No idea why you’re shouting either, do you need a lie down?

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 15:37 - Oct 29 with 1284 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 15:23 - Oct 29 by Keaneish

Very black and white you salt of the earth types, that’s the problem. It explains why you’re still so wedded to Big Mick. You’ll only get onboard with the programme when the points are on the board despite the obvious progress toward that and all the good that is also going on. Must I really lost all the positive aspects that Cook had brought to this club beyond Lambert? It’s night and day isn’t it?

‘Wedded to Big Mick’

Don’t think he’d been mentioned in this thread fella, not like you to bring him up yet again though
[Post edited 29 Oct 2021 15:38]

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 15:51 - Oct 29 with 1263 viewsKropotkin123

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 10:16 - Oct 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Ah yes, it’s a horrific post all round if you completely ignore inconvenient facts such as:

- Cook achieving worse results with the same players last season
- Cooks rebuilt squad achieving significantly less PPG so far (1.42) than we did under Lambert last season (1.62)
- Cooks side still occupying a lower position in the table than the one in which Lambert left us
- Us spending most of the season so far in the bottom half of the table, something even Lambert never managed to achieve

I would agree recent results have shown promise and therefore hopefully this will change shortly however I’m struggling to see what metrics you would use to demonstrate that Cook has outperformed Lambert so far - perhaps you could shed some light on this?

Pretty much each player in our squad is significantly better than the year before. So I would say recruitment has been one metric that demonstrates he has outperformed Lambert.

Style of play is much more exciting and consequently we are scoring many more goals that are also of better quality. We are currently top scorers in our league. I would say this is a metric he is better than Lambert on.

Still a lot to work on. But by no means the disaster you seem to be keen to push. I believe any manager would be keen to take over at Town now, with a free-scoring team that has quality throughout. We are in a much healthier position than when Cook took over and that is another metric that he is better than Lambert on.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 16:07 - Oct 29 with 1249 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 15:51 - Oct 29 by Kropotkin123

Pretty much each player in our squad is significantly better than the year before. So I would say recruitment has been one metric that demonstrates he has outperformed Lambert.

Style of play is much more exciting and consequently we are scoring many more goals that are also of better quality. We are currently top scorers in our league. I would say this is a metric he is better than Lambert on.

Still a lot to work on. But by no means the disaster you seem to be keen to push. I believe any manager would be keen to take over at Town now, with a free-scoring team that has quality throughout. We are in a much healthier position than when Cook took over and that is another metric that he is better than Lambert on.

Thanks for actually making a counter argument rather than just going ‘wahhhhh but Cookie is amazing’ like some

Broadly I agree on those points which is why I used the word ‘arguably’, however I would note that:

Squad better than before - agreed, however it’s also fair to point out that the takeover and funding provided mean Cook was working from a much favourable position. I think the jury is still out on how good some of those signings are too, but would certainly take this squad over last years. I would firmly disagree that ‘each player is significantly better’ though - that’s just nonsense

Scoring - yes a metric that we are better on, but then if you’re using goals you’d also have to look at goals conceded, on which we are now worse

Manager keen to takeover - falls firmly under feels rather than reals to me so disagree. Worth remembering that we were able to attract someone wanted by clubs in the division above when Lambert went so hardly an unattractive prospect, and for any managers that may have shifted their opinion I suspect the takeover is more pertinent than anything Cook has done

Also I’ve no idea how you’ve decided that I’m pushing that he’s been a disaster, I've just outlined that results so far have been poor, because they have. But thank you again for at least making some points

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 16:29 - Oct 29 with 1220 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 15:36 - Oct 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Those points don’t contradict each other when you actually post the full quote on the second one, which was making the point that expectations differ between clubs. Cherry picking quotes you say?

I don’t believe that contradicts the fact that results are ultimately the barometer of success for a manager, the difference is how good the results need to be to be judged a success. In Cooks case, I would argue once again that managing one of the biggest and well funded clubs in the division mean that results have so far largely been poor, albeit with some recent signs of improvement

You also seem oblivious that you are arguing the opposite point on both threads, so if I’m contradicting myself then by definition you must be too

No idea why you’re shouting either, do you need a lie down?

1. I'm not shouting, caps were used just to stand out from other text.

2. I haven't cherrypicked anything. The full quote (strangely you've decided not to post it yourself, but I'm happy to) is this;

"Surely the folly of just using the league table to say x manager is better than y is evidenced by the fact that using that logic, Lambert has in the space of a week gone from being the best manager in the division to the 4th best, and by next week could suddenly be anything from the 2nd to 7th best?

Not to mention that it completely fails to take into account resources available as others have pointed out, not to mention form and trajectory."

"NOT TO MENTION." So your point about expectations based on resources is an ADDITIONAL point. Your first point is that using league placings as a barometer of how good a manager is is folly. And yet in this thread league placings are a very good indicator.

Meanwhile, I'm not contradicting myself. In that thread I was saying the league position shows Lambert isn't completely clueless. Saying "In fact it shows he was the best manager in the league last weekend" was rather facetious and most people wouldn't take it literally. In this thread I'm saying where we are now doesn't mean Cook's a worse manager just because Lambert had us higher. Nothing is comparable. We aren't at the same stage of the season as when Lambert left. Lambert had a couple of years with those players whereas Cook's only had a few games with these ones. There's no contradiction here.

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 16:34 - Oct 29 with 1207 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

In fact we were top scorers in all 4 divisions a week or so ago. We're now second, behind Fulham and ahead of Liverpool.

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 21:07 - Oct 29 with 1099 viewsKropotkin123

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 16:34 - Oct 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

In fact we were top scorers in all 4 divisions a week or so ago. We're now second, behind Fulham and ahead of Liverpool.

Not ahead of Fulham? That's another nail in his coffin.

Did find it funny that some people have been saying we should smash teams like X, when we're on course 95 goals in a season. Really makes it clear that some people's expectations are unrealistic and unreasonable.

It also gives me confidence that our upward trajectory should last, when those same people try and put a negative spin on our upturn in form.

A tough 5-9 games coming up. Hoping we can just nail them so we can move forward in the rest of the season more harmoniously.

Interesting that we don't have the Cowley brigade telling us how much better they would have been anymore. Smashing Portsmouth 4-0 at their place hopefully drew a line under that one.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 22:14 - Oct 29 with 1066 viewsKeaneish

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 15:37 - Oct 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

‘Wedded to Big Mick’

Don’t think he’d been mentioned in this thread fella, not like you to bring him up yet again though
[Post edited 29 Oct 2021 15:38]

Not in this thread. We did hear a lot about it for years on end week-after-week from you and a small band though; the same small band still yet to get fully on board with the momentum at the club.

Reality is, if we’d listened to those views and they’d been taken with any degree of sincerity, we’d be stuck with Evans and likely the ailing man himself.

This club is on the way up again, it’s plain as day. We’ll lose a few more games but I’ll be at Home Park and then Adam’s Park because the football is enjoyable and the atmosphere positive even when we do drop points. There’s two simple pluses of Cook over Lambert for you!

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 22:49 - Oct 29 with 1043 viewsTractorFrog

To be fair to Lambert, Paul Cook has been given more money to make his recruitments; last year all three of our signings were free transfers, the year before the only one we paid for was Kane Vincent-Young. Yes, the wages were high in Lambert's time, but they are higher now. But, of course, the likes of Morsy and Chaplin said that they only dropped a league because of Cook.
Although I never posted it on here, I had just moved into the 'Lambert Out' camp when the 2019/20 season was stopped due to coronavirus. Then I gave him another chance the beginning of the following season, but moved back into the 'Lambert Out' camp around December. I still don't think he was a great manager; better than Keane and Hurst but worse than McCarthy and Jewell, but I think that what has happened since he left has shown that Lambert was better than we thought he was, and since Cook joined he has done worse than Lambert did (considering he was given more money to make a better squad). But I would still much prefer Cook as our manager to Lambert because I can see the signs of improvement, and his good record at previous clubs, and think that under Cook we have a greater chance of future success than if Lambert was still here, despite Cook's poor start. I also feel as though I have partly forgotten what was wrong with Lambert, but remember that I thought he needed to go and trust that I wasn't completely delusional (but don't want to necessarily stick to that view just because I want to have been right before). While he didn't have the funds to create our current squad, he still could have created a better one than he did, and as most of our players declined in quality when he was manager, he has to take some responsibility for that.

In summary for what felt like just writing down all my thoughts as they popped into my head with no real structure, I think that Lambert wasn't a great manager and I feel more confident about our future with Cook in charge, but I don't think Lambert was as bad as we all (including me) thought at the time.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 04:06 - Oct 30 with 983 viewsKropotkin123

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 22:49 - Oct 29 by TractorFrog

To be fair to Lambert, Paul Cook has been given more money to make his recruitments; last year all three of our signings were free transfers, the year before the only one we paid for was Kane Vincent-Young. Yes, the wages were high in Lambert's time, but they are higher now. But, of course, the likes of Morsy and Chaplin said that they only dropped a league because of Cook.
Although I never posted it on here, I had just moved into the 'Lambert Out' camp when the 2019/20 season was stopped due to coronavirus. Then I gave him another chance the beginning of the following season, but moved back into the 'Lambert Out' camp around December. I still don't think he was a great manager; better than Keane and Hurst but worse than McCarthy and Jewell, but I think that what has happened since he left has shown that Lambert was better than we thought he was, and since Cook joined he has done worse than Lambert did (considering he was given more money to make a better squad). But I would still much prefer Cook as our manager to Lambert because I can see the signs of improvement, and his good record at previous clubs, and think that under Cook we have a greater chance of future success than if Lambert was still here, despite Cook's poor start. I also feel as though I have partly forgotten what was wrong with Lambert, but remember that I thought he needed to go and trust that I wasn't completely delusional (but don't want to necessarily stick to that view just because I want to have been right before). While he didn't have the funds to create our current squad, he still could have created a better one than he did, and as most of our players declined in quality when he was manager, he has to take some responsibility for that.

In summary for what felt like just writing down all my thoughts as they popped into my head with no real structure, I think that Lambert wasn't a great manager and I feel more confident about our future with Cook in charge, but I don't think Lambert was as bad as we all (including me) thought at the time.

Cook hasn't done worse than Lambert. He inherited a poor, aging squad, that couldn't be bothered to try and win a contract for the following season, because they knew they were out.

He's had to change the entire squad, get them playing together, despite not getting the defenders over the line until after the start of the season. He's put together an incredible attacking line up for this league, as evidenced by our goalscoring output.

Lambert played turgid football, which resulted in one of the worst seasons in ITFC history for attacking output, particularly considering the league and wage advantages at his disposal. With that wage advantage he only made one good signing in three years - KVY.

I think you underplay the difficulty of putting a squad together. Money isn't the answer to everything. It is merely one advantage we currently have. Time was one disadvantage we have this season and hopefully we have overcome that now.

Fingers crossed we can enjoy the next five games, as we didn't have much success under Lambert against the top 6-10.

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 08:49 - Oct 30 with 917 viewsFunge

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 04:06 - Oct 30 by Kropotkin123

Cook hasn't done worse than Lambert. He inherited a poor, aging squad, that couldn't be bothered to try and win a contract for the following season, because they knew they were out.

He's had to change the entire squad, get them playing together, despite not getting the defenders over the line until after the start of the season. He's put together an incredible attacking line up for this league, as evidenced by our goalscoring output.

Lambert played turgid football, which resulted in one of the worst seasons in ITFC history for attacking output, particularly considering the league and wage advantages at his disposal. With that wage advantage he only made one good signing in three years - KVY.

I think you underplay the difficulty of putting a squad together. Money isn't the answer to everything. It is merely one advantage we currently have. Time was one disadvantage we have this season and hopefully we have overcome that now.

Fingers crossed we can enjoy the next five games, as we didn't have much success under Lambert against the top 6-10.

'Cook hasn't done worse than Lambert. He inherited a poor, aging squad, that couldn't be bothered to try and win a contract for the following season, because they knew they were out.'

Mmmm. Hugely generous assessment of the situation. That squad last year should've made playoffs; after Cook took over, we ended up nowhere near.

'Fingers crossed we can enjoy the next five games, as we didn't have much success under Lambert against the top 6-10.'

Too bloody right. I've forgotten what it's like to enjoy watching Ipswich; like everyone else, a little success would be lovely.
Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 09:01 - Oct 30 with 906 viewsKeaneish

Cowling on Colchesters recruitment on 08:49 - Oct 30 by Funge

'Cook hasn't done worse than Lambert. He inherited a poor, aging squad, that couldn't be bothered to try and win a contract for the following season, because they knew they were out.'

Mmmm. Hugely generous assessment of the situation. That squad last year should've made playoffs; after Cook took over, we ended up nowhere near.

'Fingers crossed we can enjoy the next five games, as we didn't have much success under Lambert against the top 6-10.'

Too bloody right. I've forgotten what it's like to enjoy watching Ipswich; like everyone else, a little success would be lovely.

That squad should have won the league the season before and been much higher up the table when Lambert left despite Gill’s efforts. Lambert had two seasons, Cook’s not had one yet; apples and oranges at the moment.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024