Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. 09:26 - Nov 6 with 940 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Any one aware of anyone who had more sub appearances for Town before their first start than Eric Gates (17 sub appearances over 2 years)? Seems an incredible number, especially as they only had one sub then.
Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 09:40 - Nov 6 with 879 viewshoppy

How many did the likes of Robin Turner, Kevin Steggles and Kevin O’Callaghan have, or Mich D’Avray?

They all seemed to be named as sub very regularly.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 10:28 - Nov 6 with 803 viewsElephantintheRoom

You have to remember Gates was a very good player and Robson kept him waiting years for a starting spot - so much so that he ran away home not once but twice..

In that far off era when just one sub was allowed it paid to be versatile - cant remember if the likes of Eddie Spearritt or Chris Barnard were around to benefit - they would have been to most likely subs in the McGarry era - when even Mick Mills couldnt get into the team

But Robin Turner would be a good shout

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 10:52 - Nov 6 with 765 viewsTrumptonBlue

I won't know the answer without a fair bit of spreadsheet-wrangling but to cover the players mentioned so far:

Turner - 2 sub appearances before starting at Brighton in the League Cup on 7/9/76
O'Callaghan - 3 sub appearances before starting at WBA on 7/4/80
D'Avray - 1 sub appearance before starting at Coventry on 1/12/79

For the others, their debut was a start.
Steggles made 56 starts before he came on as a sub (his only sub appearance in his Town career)
Barnard made 11 starts before his first sub appearance
Spearritt made 7 starts before his first sub appearance

I know it's the answer to a different question, but the most sub appearances made without ever getting a start is Kieffer Moore's 11.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2021 10:53]
Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 11:29 - Nov 6 with 702 viewsTrumptonBlue

In fact, without checking for each of them, a quick look at the full list of players who made more than 17 sub appearances in their Town careers leaves me fairly confident that none of them can beat Gates on this.
Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 11:43 - Nov 6 with 677 viewsTrequartista

Jonas Axeldal?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 11:48 - Nov 6 with 652 viewsTrumptonBlue

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 11:43 - Nov 6 by Trequartista

Jonas Axeldal?

He could well be 2nd in the list. 11 sub appearance before starting at Blackburn on 6.11.99.
Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 11:54 - Nov 6 with 637 viewsxrayspecs

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 09:40 - Nov 6 by hoppy

How many did the likes of Robin Turner, Kevin Steggles and Kevin O’Callaghan have, or Mich D’Avray?

They all seemed to be named as sub very regularly.

As a guess, a young reserve keeper in the era of 5 subs+, although with squad rotation in cup games now the norm, that may not be the case.
Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 12:05 - Nov 6 with 599 viewsxrayspecs

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 11:54 - Nov 6 by xrayspecs

As a guess, a young reserve keeper in the era of 5 subs+, although with squad rotation in cup games now the norm, that may not be the case.

Lee Bracey was reserve keeper to Richard Wright in the late nineties. He did not make a single appearance in three years and was (sometimes) one of the three subs named on the Town bench.
Login to get fewer ads

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 12:07 - Nov 6 with 597 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 11:54 - Nov 6 by xrayspecs

That’s a lot of appearances for a keeper off the bench. I wonder if young striker, like Danny Haynes or Neil Gregory, might be more likely?
Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 12:15 - Nov 6 with 574 viewsGlasgowBlue

It took Eric Gates something like seven years to establish himself as a starter in the first team. Unheard of in this day and age.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 12:15 - Nov 6 with 574 viewsTrumptonBlue

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 12:07 - Nov 6 by ITFC_nostalgia

That’s a lot of appearances for a keeper off the bench. I wonder if young striker, like Danny Haynes or Neil Gregory, might be more likely?

Neil Gregory's debut was a start, against Wimbledon in December 1994 under Paul Goddard and John Wark just before George Burley took over.

Danny Haynes made 3 sub appearances before starting at Sheffield Wednesday in December 2005 (alongside Dean Bowditch - a very youthful forward line). His stoppage-time equaliser against QPR after coming off the bench the week before earned him that start.
Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 12:20 - Nov 6 with 558 viewsshady

How about Brian Talbot?
Reserve team captain, but had a slow career start.
Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 12:22 - Nov 6 with 544 viewsTrumptonBlue

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 12:20 - Nov 6 by shady

How about Brian Talbot?
Reserve team captain, but had a slow career start.

Never made a sub appearance. 226 games, all starts.
Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 12:23 - Nov 6 with 540 viewsRyorry

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 12:15 - Nov 6 by GlasgowBlue

It took Eric Gates something like seven years to establish himself as a starter in the first team. Unheard of in this day and age.

And he eventually became my fav player of all time!

Eric Gatesy

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Most substitute appearances for Town before a start. on 13:10 - Nov 6 with 467 viewsoldburian

I saw our first substitute at Charlton in 1965. The first season when they were introduced for injuries only.

It was Dave Harper.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024