Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gerrard to Villa? 10:02 - Nov 10 with 1721 viewswkj

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59232355

Surely not? He's done really well at Rangers and will surely be waiting to succeed Klopp.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:08 - Nov 10 with 1687 viewsWeWereZombies

Might need another stepping stone to convince the Anfield board though, and if he fails at Villa then there is a precedent for where he eventually ends up after that...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:10 - Nov 10 with 1674 viewswkj

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:08 - Nov 10 by WeWereZombies

Might need another stepping stone to convince the Anfield board though, and if he fails at Villa then there is a precedent for where he eventually ends up after that...

If I was Garrard, I wouldn't want to be at Villa. Selling Grealish was essential, but destabilised the squad - i feel for the manager they sacked.

Unless Gerrard is promised some money in Jan, I would stay away.

Crybaby

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:19 - Nov 10 with 1644 viewsCheltenham_Blue

He'd be mad to wait to succeed Klopp.

He's a Liverpool legend, what happens if he gets into Liverpool and then can't cope with Premiership management? The sight of Gerrard being booed is not something that any Liverpool fan or Gerrard himself should ever want.

Far better to cut his Premier League teeth at somewhere like Villa than straight into a big six club.

This is one of the reasons why I can never figure out why some of us seem so desperate for KD to get his first job in management here.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:26 - Nov 10 with 1620 viewsfoshizzle

I may just be biased having grown up north of the border, but I also can't see why he'd want the Villa job, at least yet. He has done really well with Rangers, and if he stays for one or two more seasons and keeps winning the league, he will be a legend for life at a hugely storied club. You never know if an opportunity like that will come again!
Gerrard to Villa? on 10:27 - Nov 10 with 1611 viewsRadlett_blue

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:19 - Nov 10 by Cheltenham_Blue

He'd be mad to wait to succeed Klopp.

He's a Liverpool legend, what happens if he gets into Liverpool and then can't cope with Premiership management? The sight of Gerrard being booed is not something that any Liverpool fan or Gerrard himself should ever want.

Far better to cut his Premier League teeth at somewhere like Villa than straight into a big six club.

This is one of the reasons why I can never figure out why some of us seem so desperate for KD to get his first job in management here.

Indeed, IMO Villa would have been better off sticking with Smith but owners are so terrified of relegation. Winning a 2 team league in Scotland is scant evidence that Gerrard is a competent manager.
Same with Lampard - took Derby to the pay offs in his one season, with an expensive squad. Wasn't good or experienced enough at Chelsea. Hopefully will prove to be a terrible manager for Norwich, who should have stuck with Farke.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:33 - Nov 10 with 1582 viewswkj

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:27 - Nov 10 by Radlett_blue

Indeed, IMO Villa would have been better off sticking with Smith but owners are so terrified of relegation. Winning a 2 team league in Scotland is scant evidence that Gerrard is a competent manager.
Same with Lampard - took Derby to the pay offs in his one season, with an expensive squad. Wasn't good or experienced enough at Chelsea. Hopefully will prove to be a terrible manager for Norwich, who should have stuck with Farke.

On the face of it, yes Rangers isn't exactly a hard job - though I would say Gerrard performed much better in Europe than anyone expected, and they are actually playing like a team that would probably be able to flirt with Europe spots if they were in the EPL.

This season is not going quite as well, granted - though I do think he's done better than simply being the boss of team with no competition.

Crybaby

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:35 - Nov 10 with 1572 viewsWeWereZombies

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:33 - Nov 10 by wkj

On the face of it, yes Rangers isn't exactly a hard job - though I would say Gerrard performed much better in Europe than anyone expected, and they are actually playing like a team that would probably be able to flirt with Europe spots if they were in the EPL.

This season is not going quite as well, granted - though I do think he's done better than simply being the boss of team with no competition.

Morelos is in the Rangers squad - it is a hard job.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Gerrard to Villa? on 11:00 - Nov 10 with 1509 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:26 - Nov 10 by foshizzle

I may just be biased having grown up north of the border, but I also can't see why he'd want the Villa job, at least yet. He has done really well with Rangers, and if he stays for one or two more seasons and keeps winning the league, he will be a legend for life at a hugely storied club. You never know if an opportunity like that will come again!

He's won one trophy in 3 years, I think he's still got a bit to prove.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Gerrard to Villa? on 12:33 - Nov 10 with 1401 viewsfoshizzle

Gerrard to Villa? on 11:00 - Nov 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

He's won one trophy in 3 years, I think he's still got a bit to prove.

Tbf I think it was a massive achievement to win the league like they did after so long. But yeah I agree he still has more to prove. A few more trophies with Rangers and a run in Europe would cement his reputation there...
Gerrard to Villa? on 15:18 - Nov 10 with 1218 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:08 - Nov 10 by WeWereZombies

I think Scotland is so often seen as an easy league coz it is. If you are in charge of Celtic or Rangers you should always finish at least 2nd.

Villa would be a better proving ground for when Klopp foes move on and are not the basket case they once were

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Gerrard to Villa? on 15:25 - Nov 10 with 1197 viewsKropotkin123

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:10 - Nov 10 by wkj

If I was Garrard, I wouldn't want to be at Villa. Selling Grealish was essential, but destabilised the squad - i feel for the manager they sacked.

What if you were Gorrard, Girrard or Gurrard?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Gerrard to Villa? on 16:25 - Nov 10 with 1140 viewswkj

Gerrard to Villa? on 15:25 - Nov 10 by Kropotkin123

What if you were Gorrard, Girrard or Gurrard?

Garrard is Suffolk thing int' it. Gerrard is the wrong way to spell Garrard. Also see Garret, popular in the USA.

Crybaby

Gerrard to Villa? on 16:33 - Nov 10 with 1118 viewsOldboy

Hasn't done enough for me to get a job like Villa.
He and Villa are better looking elsewhere.
Gerrard to Villa? on 16:34 - Nov 10 with 1116 viewstractordownsouth

I think he'd have been an ideal manager for Newcastle. None of the top managers were going to take that job with the current squad, and Gerrard has improved Rangers, so it seems like a good first step in the league both for him and the owners. Plus having someone with Gerrard's stature would have been a big pull for the types of targets they will be pursuing. I can't see any big names falling over themselves to play for Eddie Howe.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Gerrard to Villa? on 16:39 - Nov 10 with 1097 viewsOldboy

Gerrard to Villa? on 16:34 - Nov 10 by tractordownsouth

I think he'd have been an ideal manager for Newcastle. None of the top managers were going to take that job with the current squad, and Gerrard has improved Rangers, so it seems like a good first step in the league both for him and the owners. Plus having someone with Gerrard's stature would have been a big pull for the types of targets they will be pursuing. I can't see any big names falling over themselves to play for Eddie Howe.

Newcastle won't be after superstar signings yet. Think Howe has a bigger standing as a manager than Gerrard.
Gerrard to Villa? on 17:23 - Nov 10 with 1057 viewstractordownsouth

Gerrard to Villa? on 16:39 - Nov 10 by Oldboy

Newcastle won't be after superstar signings yet. Think Howe has a bigger standing as a manager than Gerrard.

They won't be after superstars but likely will be in the market for the fringe players at top clubs (Lingard, Barkley, Martial, Alli) - Gerrard might be better suited to those types of players

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Gerrard to Villa? on 19:45 - Nov 10 with 913 viewsOldboy

Gerrard to Villa? on 17:23 - Nov 10 by tractordownsouth

They won't be after superstars but likely will be in the market for the fringe players at top clubs (Lingard, Barkley, Martial, Alli) - Gerrard might be better suited to those types of players

Don't see why. Howe has a good reputation in the game and plays an attractive attacking football. Howe is the right fit for Newcastle at this point in time. I don't think Gerrard is good enough for Villa at the moment. They need someone experienced or they could be dragged into a relegation fight. Never afraid of being wrong, but managing Rangers isn't a tough gig, Villa is.
Gerrard to Villa? on 19:49 - Nov 10 with 892 viewspointofblue

If they go for Gerrard they may as well have kept Smith. They need to bring someone with a bit of experience fighting relegation; not a manager whose only had to deal with one of the best squads in the respective division.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Gerrard to Villa? on 20:42 - Nov 10 with 819 viewsNBVJohn

Gerrard to Villa? on 10:10 - Nov 10 by wkj

Selling Grealish was ultimately both inevitable and essential, but having watched them a lot in the past few years, as they are local and my son is a big fan, I grew frustrated that everything went through Grealish, and he was generally injured for 6+ games each season and they would struggle - both in the Championship and subsequently in the PL without him.
I don’t doubt that they would prefer to still have him there, but Villa invested wisely in several good players either side of Grealish’s departure; Ings, Buendia, Bailey, as well as in Sanson last January.
All of these players have had fitness issues and have not featured as often as Smith would have liked and unfortunately this contributed to his downfall as I suspect did experimental formations to accommodate Ings and Watkins together rather than his previously favoured one up front. Early in the season results were good, notably convincing wins over Everton, and an away win at Manchester United. With a fit squad, they will compete. I personally believe that they should have stuck with Smith for a while yet and judged him on the results of a fit squad.
Gerrard to Villa? on 14:13 - Nov 11 with 540 viewswkj

Game On - Let's see what Stevie G can do!

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024