Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
19 signings and such an unbalanced side 18:39 - Nov 20 with 2273 viewschrismakin

Lose morsy. You lose midfield
Lose Edwards you creativity and space
Lose bonne. You Lose movement upto
Lose burns. You miss adventure
Lose edmundson. You Lose defensive stability
Lose penney. Left with youngster
Lose celina. Lose technical ability
Lose fraser. Lose waited passes
Lose Evans. Lose calm influence in midfield and pings.

Basically. When ever we sub a player. Or we make tweaks to the side.. we automatically Lose something.

Some we see in small dribs and drabs. But others are clear as day problems.

Lots of options.. but so different and not all compliment others.

This is why we've struggled in cup games. League games.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 18:41 - Nov 20 with 2235 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

‘Basically. When ever we sub a player. Or we make tweaks to the side.. we automatically Lose something.’

This may be the most ridiculous point ever made in the history of TWTD. So what you’re saying is that it would be better if the player being substituted has no positive attributes?

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 18:43 - Nov 20 with 2214 viewsJ2BLUE

13/11 Edwards has no end product at al
20/11 Lose Edwards and you creativity and space

You could argue these aren't a contradiction but if you do then what good is creativity with no end product?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 18:46 - Nov 20 with 2156 viewsGarv

I honestly think you're trying too hard to find something to comment about and debate.

Lose nine different players and you lose certain qualities. What's so surprising about that? Don't you want every squad member to have different attributes? You can't have a like-for-like replacement for every position.

So if Celina isn't on the pitch Fraser doesn't provide technical ability? And if Fraser isn't on the pitch Celina can't play a weighted pass?

Odd comments in my opinion.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 18:47 - Nov 20 with 2138 viewsXYZ

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 18:43 - Nov 20 by J2BLUE

You could argue these aren't a contradiction but if you do then what good is creativity with no end product?

Mr Consistently Inconsistent.
19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 18:47 - Nov 20 with 2142 viewsGavTWTD

Seems you are saying that we have no options from the bench?

Aluko played well today but we don't know if Burns would have done any better. Chaplin offers nothing?

I don't really understand your post. Those players you mention have lots of quality. We have 2 players for every position but one is better than the other. That's pretty sound squad building.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 18:58 - Nov 20 with 2032 viewsStadiumofdark

If only ITFC were as consistent as you and your odd posts
19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 19:09 - Nov 20 with 1984 viewschrismakin

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 18:43 - Nov 20 by J2BLUE

Creativity as discussed earlier on other threads. opens space for others. It drags defenders or midfielders away from central covering areas etc.

Twice in the space of a week we've seen the negative effect of taking Edwards off. Today was incredibly obvious. We lost so much space once Sunderland didn't have to worry about Edwards.
His lack of end product is still an issue but thats hopefully still something that can be resolved.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 19:12 - Nov 20 with 1961 viewschrismakin

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 18:46 - Nov 20 by Garv

I honestly think you're trying too hard to find something to comment about and debate.

Lose nine different players and you lose certain qualities. What's so surprising about that? Don't you want every squad member to have different attributes? You can't have a like-for-like replacement for every position.

So if Celina isn't on the pitch Fraser doesn't provide technical ability? And if Fraser isn't on the pitch Celina can't play a weighted pass?

Odd comments in my opinion.

The problem is that any changes made should be complimented by the manager making additional changes to counter the negative effect of missing specific players. This isn't something we are seeing hence our recent performances in cup fixtures and league games have been incredibly inconsistent.

Like today. Bring Edwards off for fraser
You gain the passing and the potential chance of assist.
But we missed the ability of Edwards to get forward and take the Sunderland players with him. Creating opportunities for our 10 to get in the ball.

We bought on Pigott. But we didn't have anyone getting in positions to whip the ball in for him ( which is where he is most dangerous. He's not gonna be on the end of through balls.. Aluko prefers to come inside and donacien wasn't getting forward as much 2nd half..

Etc etc.

It's fine for people to say we have the best squad or we have a strong bench... then why is it twice in a week we go backwards after making changes...
Why have our cup performances been indifferent?

It's 19 solid players. Yes.
But a balanced squad. No

Could it be. Yes
But for that to.happen it needs more than 4 2 3 1 with this squad of players.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 19:39]

Login to get fewer ads

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 21:02 - Nov 20 with 1744 viewsBluebell

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 18:41 - Nov 20 by The_Romford_Blue

‘Basically. When ever we sub a player. Or we make tweaks to the side.. we automatically Lose something.’

This may be the most ridiculous point ever made in the history of TWTD. So what you’re saying is that it would be better if the player being substituted has no positive attributes?

Sorry Rommy downvoted by mistake. Meant to give you an uppy.
19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 21:56 - Nov 20 with 1652 viewsCoastalblue

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 19:12 - Nov 20 by chrismakin

The problem is that any changes made should be complimented by the manager making additional changes to counter the negative effect of missing specific players. This isn't something we are seeing hence our recent performances in cup fixtures and league games have been incredibly inconsistent.

Like today. Bring Edwards off for fraser
You gain the passing and the potential chance of assist.
But we missed the ability of Edwards to get forward and take the Sunderland players with him. Creating opportunities for our 10 to get in the ball.

We bought on Pigott. But we didn't have anyone getting in positions to whip the ball in for him ( which is where he is most dangerous. He's not gonna be on the end of through balls.. Aluko prefers to come inside and donacien wasn't getting forward as much 2nd half..

Etc etc.

It's fine for people to say we have the best squad or we have a strong bench... then why is it twice in a week we go backwards after making changes...
Why have our cup performances been indifferent?

It's 19 solid players. Yes.
But a balanced squad. No

Could it be. Yes
But for that to.happen it needs more than 4 2 3 1 with this squad of players.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 19:39]

I think yur last point is the pertinent one, we have the personell with the ability and quality to do things differently and yet we don't.

I'm still behind Cook, very much so but he really does need to find an alternative in my opinion, even if it's a direct 4-4-2 for the last 20 minutes if we're chasing a game or not getting any joy we really need an alternative.

Play us and you know precisely what you face for 90 minutes.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 09:45 - Nov 21 with 1496 viewsRyorry

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 21:02 - Nov 20 by Bluebell

Sorry Rommy downvoted by mistake. Meant to give you an uppy.

You can neutralise that vote by refreshing & then upvoting to cancel it out.

Completely agree with Rommy so have upvoted his anyway.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 09:49 - Nov 21 with 1476 viewschrismakin

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 18:41 - Nov 20 by The_Romford_Blue

Not at all, im saying that when these changes are made, there needs to be more thought about what is coming off rather than what is going on. As I explain futher in this thread.

There just doesn't seem to be a thought process other than, that's ok he can play there to a sub, or that's ok, they can play there when putting together a lineup. There's no thought on the balance of these changes and it has been proven with performances and results.

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 09:53 - Nov 21 with 1469 viewsRyorry

So in today's shock news, human beings have different attributes & there are no clones in the squad?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 09:53 - Nov 21 with 1466 viewschrismakin

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 21:56 - Nov 20 by Coastalblue

I think yur last point is the pertinent one, we have the personell with the ability and quality to do things differently and yet we don't.

I'm still behind Cook, very much so but he really does need to find an alternative in my opinion, even if it's a direct 4-4-2 for the last 20 minutes if we're chasing a game or not getting any joy we really need an alternative.

Play us and you know precisely what you face for 90 minutes.

My concern which Gav kinda points out is yes we have 2 players for each position. BUT the differences between these players doesn't actually suit the set 4 2 3 1. It needs tweaking when we change these players around to make the most of the squad available. When you haven't got flying fullbacks, you need width and attacking wingers, not a fraser on the left or a tiring aluko on the right. At that moment, you've lost all attacking threats. as a prime example. Pigott coming on with 0 crossing chances being made became a pointless sub.

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 09:58 - Nov 21 with 1450 viewschrismakin

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 09:53 - Nov 21 by Ryorry

So in today's shock news, human beings have different attributes & there are no clones in the squad?

Don't need clones, just need sensible game management and tweaks to formations when changes are made to ensure the changes made don't have negative effects on the balance of the team.

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 10:14 - Nov 21 with 1429 viewstractordownsouth

So we have a lot of players who all possess different qualities. Is that not the definition of a balanced squad?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 10:19 - Nov 21 with 1419 viewschrismakin

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 10:14 - Nov 21 by tractordownsouth

So we have a lot of players who all possess different qualities. Is that not the definition of a balanced squad?

Not when there is 1 stuck formation no or any thought about how you need to change the style of play depending on which players are actually on the pitch as yesturdays subs showed again.

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 10:19 - Nov 21 with 1417 viewsgazzer1999

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 18:47 - Nov 20 by GavTWTD

Seems you are saying that we have no options from the bench?

Aluko played well today but we don't know if Burns would have done any better. Chaplin offers nothing?

I don't really understand your post. Those players you mention have lots of quality. We have 2 players for every position but one is better than the other. That's pretty sound squad building.

Sound squad building? I just want to see us win some games and make a challenge. Don't accept mediocracy we as supporters have suffered for too long. The support of ITFC currently is the best I have known and that includes during Sir Bobby's time, all we now ask is for something in return, we are doing our our bit, time for Cook to do his.
Winning is everything just ask Sunderland. Playing well does not get you points.
We have options from the bench but if you just change personnel but not tactics you get the same result, failure, as Cook consistently demonstrates.
19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 02:52 - Nov 22 with 1290 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 10:19 - Nov 21 by chrismakin

Not when there is 1 stuck formation no or any thought about how you need to change the style of play depending on which players are actually on the pitch as yesturdays subs showed again.

i take it from your tone that your back to being Cook Out again?

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 06:32 - Nov 22 with 1220 viewschrismakin

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 02:52 - Nov 22 by The_Romford_Blue

i take it from your tone that your back to being Cook Out again?

Not really anywhere tbh we are where we are, can only comment on what happens when it happens. Celebrate the wins, moan about the losses, feel meh about a draw, as it it should be as a fan of the club.

Some are extremely positive where we are
Some are extremely negative where we are

I'm in the middle. I neither care or uncare. We are imo another Lambert version of ipswich with better players. That's win a bit. Lose a bit. Draw a bit. PC hasn't flourished as I hoped. He's not as bad as he could be either. He's just 'meh'

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 21:57 - Nov 23 with 985 viewschrismakin

Played with such an unbalance tonight.

Donacien showed up as just a defender with 0 attacking ability
Clements left with no support on his side

3 cms effectively across the pitch in all directions.
2 dms who can't pass forwards

19 players and its a shambles.

19 signings and such an unbalanced side on 09:56 - Dec 2 with 800 viewschrismakin

Anyone want to readdress their thoughts that the squad is finally balanced? or are we still to believe it's perfect?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024