Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? 21:56 - Feb 19 with 2313 viewsunstableblue

A very satisfying display, and now McKenna has given us defensive solidity he seems to be trying to get the winning formula up front.

First off I though Burton were good, there press was strong and they moved the ball quickly. I thought they were difficult opponents. Indeed I thought the game was an advert for the league.

The early goal was just what we needed. I thought the pass and then Jackson’s movement was excellent, I do think the keeper had a mare though… surely it was saveable? (Is that a word).

But throughout the first half, apart from two segments of play when we went headless, the back 3 were really good. And you know Walton is just a mega signing. I’m so confident in him.

Then to the second half and when Burton tired a little and it opened up… we started to see the coherent attacking play that I think we’ve been lacking. I thought at MK we lacked bite up front and Bonne and Norwood were woeful when they came on (note - I wasn’t that impressed by Norwood in his cameo today, and I can see Celina, Piggot and Jackson as our preferred front three - harsh on Aluko and Chaplin… the former who was really good today).

Jackson’s pace and movement is so key for me. And I’m the second half he showed what I’ve felt for a while that he is very good wide and his crossing and service is high quality.

One slight negative today was Thompson’s forward play, don’t get me wrong he’s been a positive addition, and is a really solid full back. But he just needs to be a bit more adventurous. Today we say on the other side that Burns is just such a key player… he was bold (which he hasn’t always been lately) and went past people and combined so well with Donacien (god I love their post goal ritual)

Celina did really give us something second half.

Finally let’s not forget Evans and Morsy today. They are the engine. Evans is much much more effective that Bakinson and Carrol. Any news on the Evans injury??

All in all a good day… I’m not convinced we can sustain the level of performance needed across the remaining games to make the play offs.. I think our peers are also looking strong. Cheltenham are going to be interesting- I do believe in McKennas plan to modify for each opponent - unlike Cook - but at times it should be about Ipswich and some of those attacking moves in the second half

But come on!! How frickin good is it to be a town fan at the moment - and a 70% win ratio for McKenna!! Oh my word

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:01 - Feb 19 with 2261 viewsIllinoisblue

Good summary; to be fair to Thompson, couple times he ventured forward in second half and there was nobody going with him. Lot of work to do on the left side to get it to JD+Burns levels of understanding. (And what of KVY? Once considered so important, now it feels like we’re moving on from him)

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:10 - Feb 19 with 2186 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:01 - Feb 19 by Illinoisblue

Good summary; to be fair to Thompson, couple times he ventured forward in second half and there was nobody going with him. Lot of work to do on the left side to get it to JD+Burns levels of understanding. (And what of KVY? Once considered so important, now it feels like we’re moving on from him)

I think KVY has just not been consistent, and is seen as having risk.

Totally agree that ahead of Thompson there just isn’t the movement and options ahead of him. So he tends to hit a bit of a dead end. He didn’t have a Jackson’s pulling defenders wide… and the Fridge (although excellent) sits deeper unlike Donacien who bombs on.

Donacien was technically very good today. He’s up there for player of the season.

Who do you think is currently winning that Illy?? For me it’s between Walton, Burns, Donacien and Edmundson (with Morsy in the wings)

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:11 - Feb 19 with 2182 viewsFrimleyBlue

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:01 - Feb 19 by Illinoisblue

Problem is that right side works so well as JD gets forward in support to. We can't be having both sets of wide cbs going forwards leaving Wolfenden on his own.

We don't want to replace edmundson obviously, but I don't see a time with him getting forward as much as JD and as such can't see our left wingback having the same success as Burns any time soon.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:17 - Feb 19 with 2148 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:11 - Feb 19 by FrimleyBlue

Problem is that right side works so well as JD gets forward in support to. We can't be having both sets of wide cbs going forwards leaving Wolfenden on his own.

We don't want to replace edmundson obviously, but I don't see a time with him getting forward as much as JD and as such can't see our left wingback having the same success as Burns any time soon.

Think you’ve nailed why the right is our channel of joy… in some ways The Wolf and The Fridge (god I love those nick names) become an orthodox back two when Donnacien raids forward. Meaning Edmundson is not moving forward to provide space for Thompson.

The only issue though, and which Burton didn’t do, is if you man mark Burns the right becomes a little less effective. And that has been happening in recent games, see MK Dons.

And that’s why combining the pace of both Jackson and Burns is so effective. It frees up Burns. And Burns make things happen.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 22:19]

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:20 - Feb 19 with 2111 viewsIllinoisblue

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:10 - Feb 19 by unstableblue

Totally agree that ahead of Thompson there just isn’t the movement and options ahead of him. So he tends to hit a bit of a dead end. He didn’t have a Jackson’s pulling defenders wide… and the Fridge (although excellent) sits deeper unlike Donacien who bombs on.

Donacien was technically very good today. He’s up there for player of the season.

Who do you think is currently winning that Illy?? For me it’s between Walton, Burns, Donacien and Edmundson (with Morsy in the wings)

POTY for me would be Walton. He’s pretty much 8/10 every game and just brings stability to the whole team. If he’d been playing all season we’d be in the top six right now.

62 - 78 - 81

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:23 - Feb 19 with 2078 viewsIpswichKnight

We also used Jackson as an asset, playing off the shoulder and putting balls in behind defenders along the floor and inviting foot races.

Agreed about Walton at this level he is very very good, I don’t think either of our other keepers get to that free kick.
Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:27 - Feb 19 with 2053 viewsBigCommon

I'd say we found the winning formula up top. for today's game. Having scored 3 goals and missed quite a few other chances.. If I recall, Penney, although decent going forwards, was constantly getting caught out in defence. I'd say Thompson is a much safer option. And, tbf, I don't mind that he checks back at times. If it means retaining possession. Instead of him trying to do things he's not confident in , or adept at.... As you say, it will be difficult to find a left side set up, as effective as our right side, in going forwards.... Thompson does enough for me, to warrant a place in the starting line up. Ahead of Penney or Kvy..... The front 3?? I think there will be an element of "horses for courses", in KM's selection. Though Piggot did fine today, with Jackson, the stand out performer... Evans and Aluko, both stood out , for me, also... Thought Burton's press was good today.And, along with the conditions, first half, caused us to play a slightly less controlled game.. Second half, we were able to get the ball down more and carved them open on numerous occassions.. Could easily have been 4 ,5 or 6 imo...
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 23:24]
Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:32 - Feb 19 with 2012 viewsStewart27

Good assessment.

I thought Evans was really good today.

Along with the back 3 and Jackson obvs.
Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:33 - Feb 19 with 1996 viewsChurchman

McKenna: 10 games (6 away), 7 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses, 4 (four!) goals conceded. Boom.

Well done KM, the coaches and the players. Big shout out to John McGreal too. Without him and KD steadying things, we would not be as far forward as we are.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 22:43]
Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:39 - Feb 19 with 1947 viewsIllinoisblue

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:33 - Feb 19 by Churchman

McKenna: 10 games (6 away), 7 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses, 4 (four!) goals conceded. Boom.

Well done KM, the coaches and the players. Big shout out to John McGreal too. Without him and KD steadying things, we would not be as far forward as we are.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 22:43]

It’s weird how the shambles and debacle at Charlton and Barrow now seem a lifetime ago. It’s like we’re now supporting a different club.

62 - 78 - 81

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:47 - Feb 19 with 1895 viewsChurchman

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:39 - Feb 19 by Illinoisblue

It’s weird how the shambles and debacle at Charlton and Barrow now seem a lifetime ago. It’s like we’re now supporting a different club.

I actually had a bit of a bad feeling about today’s game. A miserable draw or ‘bump in the road’ loss. Too many let down moments over many years I suppose, but as you say, it really feels a different club.
Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 23:01 - Feb 19 with 1831 viewsGlasgowBlue

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:10 - Feb 19 by unstableblue

KVY is just an injury to Burns away from starting. He’s still an important squad player and KM will use him when needed.

Jackson is a prime example that no one is a forgotten man in this team anymore.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 00:00 - Feb 20 with 1589 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 22:39 - Feb 19 by Illinoisblue

I found the Charlton away game one of the worst in all the years of supporting/loving/enduring Town.

It was so toxic at The Valley, and the lack of effort and quality from players so universal, I could see nothing from this season on that night, and really questioned the amount of time I commit to Town!!

Not sure quite agree with poster above McGreal steadying… I think Charlton and Barrow were on his watch and we were BAD… but I think players were genuinely knocked by cooks departure (for all the valid criticism of him he did bring in a good group)… what McGreal and Dyer did do was steady us for the Sunderland 1-1 which was key for a bit of confidence ahead of McKenna starting.

But yeah the Barrow/Charlton shambles felt like they happened to another team in another season!!!

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 00:04 - Feb 20 with 1554 viewsFixed_It

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 00:00 - Feb 20 by unstableblue

I found the Charlton away game one of the worst in all the years of supporting/loving/enduring Town.

It was so toxic at The Valley, and the lack of effort and quality from players so universal, I could see nothing from this season on that night, and really questioned the amount of time I commit to Town!!

Not sure quite agree with poster above McGreal steadying… I think Charlton and Barrow were on his watch and we were BAD… but I think players were genuinely knocked by cooks departure (for all the valid criticism of him he did bring in a good group)… what McGreal and Dyer did do was steady us for the Sunderland 1-1 which was key for a bit of confidence ahead of McKenna starting.

But yeah the Barrow/Charlton shambles felt like they happened to another team in another season!!!

The 3 at the back was instigated by McGreal and has been the bedrock of our success so far under McKenna.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 00:07 - Feb 20 with 1533 viewsFrimleyBlue

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 00:04 - Feb 20 by Fixed_It

The 3 at the back was instigated by McGreal and has been the bedrock of our success so far under McKenna.

Do you think it was or KM influence?

Only wandering as Mcgreal was a lover of the 4 2 3 1 himself at col u and against Burton he played a bizarre 4 2 2 2
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 0:10]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 00:15 - Feb 20 with 1477 viewsFixed_It

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 00:07 - Feb 20 by FrimleyBlue

Do you think it was or KM influence?

Only wandering as Mcgreal was a lover of the 4 2 3 1 himself at col u and against Burton he played a bizarre 4 2 2 2
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 0:10]

Maybe it was Dyer? It certainly suits the personnel we have at the back and has transformed our performances. Would McKenna have made such a fundamental change whilst 'just watching from the stands'? I don't know.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 00:38 - Feb 20 with 1420 viewsKropotkin123

Good to hear your thoughts UB, thanks for posting!

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 01:31 - Feb 20 with 1341 viewsBlueBadger

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 00:00 - Feb 20 by unstableblue

For all the dissing I've given you UB, for your talk of 'technical football' I'm genuinely interested to hear your take on McKenna. What do you reckon?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 02:51 - Feb 20 with 1278 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 01:31 - Feb 20 by BlueBadger

For all the dissing I've given you UB, for your talk of 'technical football' I'm genuinely interested to hear your take on McKenna. What do you reckon?

What’s my take on McKenna? It’s quite simple - he seems to be the technical and progressive manager that Town have been seeking since probably Jim Magilton.

What do I mean by that?

I mean that he’s treating player, system and tactical development in a very intelligent, analytical and scientific manner. And interestingly he’s changing personnel and system almost for every game based on the opposition.

I mean come on BlueBadger you must listen to his interviews and hear modern and technical language about games?!

My one concern with McKenna was whether he could motivate players? Whether he had the emotional management skills. Because even with all the best training drills and video analysis of opposition and switches of tactics… you need players fired up so they press and work harder.

But I think McKennas has managed to garner the respect and loyalty of the players…. Yes, Through better training and technical insights than they had under Cook, and also because he has a kudos as having coached Ronaldo and Pogba, BUT also because I think he may be a bigger personality and character than perhaps we realise.

The only mild concern is that this squad was always going to have success… it just needed some basic technical rigour to its set-up and a bit of flexibility in shape, which cook failed at. My point is, is that it’s an expensive squad that is miles better than what Burton have - we’ve yet to see how McKenna gets on when things don’t go right for him, when the oppositions is a little better…. I also think he’s a little slice of luck in a few games.

Apologies a bit of a long response. But to make it simple - I think we’ve completely fallen on our feet with this guy, and I think town can progress to the top of the Championship on the back of his burgeoning career.

What do you think of him??
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 3:13]

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 05:11 - Feb 20 with 1159 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on today… it’s just very encouraging, Thompson more adventurous? on 23:01 - Feb 19 by GlasgowBlue

KVY is just an injury to Burns away from starting. He’s still an important squad player and KM will use him when needed.

Jackson is a prime example that no one is a forgotten man in this team anymore.

Completely agree

And who knows Burgess may also have a role.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024