Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Stewart 19:35 - Sep 9 with 3482 viewstextbackup

All of yesterdays goings on the terrible news somewhat got put to the side.

I know very little about MND, but on reading up on google, it doesnt sound as though people live for much more than 3/4 years after being diagnosed. would that be correct in saying?

What i call "my ipswich" will always have Marcus Stewart as a striker, was a hero. Such sad news

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Marcus Stewart on 19:43 - Sep 9 with 2986 viewsIllinoisblue

The outlook is not good at all. My mate over here was diagnosed with it in January. Mid 50s, two kids. Fit as a fiddle. Now his life consists of regular testing to see how quickly the disease is progressing, trying to find money to adapt his house so main bedroom is on ground level, making preparations and legal docs to ensure he doesn’t end up existing on a ventilator, and for now at least, trying to stay employed long enough so he remains covered by medical insurance. (Please, nobody should ever knock the NHS, the system here is sheeite). On top of all that he has to watch his kids grow up, knowing he’s only got a few years left with them. Unsurprisingly he says he struggles to get out of bed some days.

To hear one of our Ipswich heroes is or likely will be going through this is devastating. Life can be so cruel.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Marcus Stewart on 19:44 - Sep 9 with 2970 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think its best not to dwell on the specific details of MND.

Stewie or his family and friends may view this forum and I'm sure they know the detail all to well without reminders.

Not trying to criticise, just a thought. Same goes for comments on the Stewie news story.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Marcus Stewart on 19:44 - Sep 9 with 2986 viewsJeff_winger

My step father died of MND a couple of years ago.
It was truly awful he died about two years after diagnosis.
Watching him slowly waste away was awful and the worst experience of my life.

My heart goes out to Marcus and his family, I pray he is blessed with quality time with his family
Marcus Stewart on 19:50 - Sep 9 with 2941 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yep, that’s pretty much it. It’s highly variable, but if it’s taken a year to diagnose, there’s a good chance he’ll get a few years. Maybe. My mum went relatively quickly over a matter of months. Former Leeds Rhinos star Rob Burrow is probably a good example of a ‘typical’ timeframe, he was diagnosed in 2019 and is wheelchair bound and considerably impaired now. Stephen Hawking lived for decades, but his was a rare slow progression type.

It’s an a-hole of a disease. People just progressively shut down. It’s horrific to watch it progress and Marcus is going to need all the support he can get. It sounds like he’s determined to stay positive and use his profile to campaign and raise funds. Credit to him; shows the strength of the man. Rob Burrow has done similar - if you get the chance to catch up on what he’s done and see the unconditional love and support from his family and best mate Kevin Sinfield, it’s quite an emotional story but also shows the best of humankind.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Marcus Stewart on 19:50 - Sep 9 with 2939 viewsIllinoisblue

Marcus Stewart on 19:44 - Sep 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Stewie or his family and friends may view this forum and I'm sure they know the detail all to well without reminders.

Not trying to criticise, just a thought. Same goes for comments on the Stewie news story.

Equally, they might find some comfort in knowing that Marcus Stewart is genuinely loved and adored and respected by Town fans.

62 - 78 - 81

Marcus Stewart on 19:54 - Sep 9 with 2923 viewsSwansea_Blue

Marcus Stewart on 19:44 - Sep 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

I know where you’re coming from, but they will be well aware of what’s in store. I’m sure they wouldn’t want to be reminded, but similarly I expect they would want more people to understand the disease, as it’s relatively little known about. Burrow has been trying to put pressure on the government to release delayed funding to look for a cure - the more people who know and support such calls, the closer we will be to a cure.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Marcus Stewart on 19:59 - Sep 9 with 2906 viewsjeera

Marcus Stewart on 19:43 - Sep 9 by Illinoisblue

The outlook is not good at all. My mate over here was diagnosed with it in January. Mid 50s, two kids. Fit as a fiddle. Now his life consists of regular testing to see how quickly the disease is progressing, trying to find money to adapt his house so main bedroom is on ground level, making preparations and legal docs to ensure he doesn’t end up existing on a ventilator, and for now at least, trying to stay employed long enough so he remains covered by medical insurance. (Please, nobody should ever knock the NHS, the system here is sheeite). On top of all that he has to watch his kids grow up, knowing he’s only got a few years left with them. Unsurprisingly he says he struggles to get out of bed some days.

To hear one of our Ipswich heroes is or likely will be going through this is devastating. Life can be so cruel.

If your friend and his family are struggling financially would it worth setting up a Fund Me type thing to try to help out or is that not the done thing?

As you say the costs soon mount up and time isn't on side with that awful disease.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 20:04]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Marcus Stewart on 20:01 - Sep 9 with 2888 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Marcus Stewart on 19:50 - Sep 9 by Illinoisblue

Equally, they might find some comfort in knowing that Marcus Stewart is genuinely loved and adored and respected by Town fans.

I wasn't saying don't mention Stewie, was merely suggesting not focusing on the intricate details.

Just my view.

Needs plenty of discussion re support and fund raising, and our love for the man himself!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Stewart on 20:06 - Sep 9 with 2831 viewsStevieH

Did you see this?

If you've not seen this yet.... by Mullet 8 Sep 2022 21:06
https://twitter.com/IpswichTowen/status/1567925233776033792?s=20&t=q4ndAqzWg0d7HWpGzSVOIQ

Marcus Stewart on 20:06 - Sep 9 with 2825 viewsChurchman

Marcus Stewart on 19:44 - Sep 9 by Jeff_winger

My step father died of MND a couple of years ago.
It was truly awful he died about two years after diagnosis.
Watching him slowly waste away was awful and the worst experience of my life.

My heart goes out to Marcus and his family, I pray he is blessed with quality time with his family

My misses’ uncle had it and when I first met him he was in his early 50s. Your description was what happened to him. He lived about Three years after the diagnosis.

Part of the cruelty of this disease (or blessing depending on your viewpoint) is that the mind remains unimpaired.

It’s horrible and I hope Marcus gets whatever help is available.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 20:07]
Marcus Stewart on 20:09 - Sep 9 with 2780 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Marcus Stewart on 20:06 - Sep 9 by StevieH

Did you see this?

If you've not seen this yet.... by Mullet 8 Sep 2022 21:06
https://twitter.com/IpswichTowen/status/1567925233776033792?s=20&t=q4ndAqzWg0d7HWpGzSVOIQ

Love that clip.

Made me emotional at the time and even more so now.

Marcus Stewart on 20:32 - Sep 9 with 2706 viewsmarchy

Marcus Stewart on 19:43 - Sep 9 by Illinoisblue

I lost a dear friend of similar age with two children to it. It is utterly heartbreaking.

It seems, as is often the case, that there are a range of variations of the condition, and whilst they're all bad news varying only by degree, the prognosis of some of them is less severe, with a small number of them not affecting life expectancy. Let's just hope.
Marcus Stewart on 20:43 - Sep 9 with 2648 viewsStewart27

Marcus Stewart on 20:01 - Sep 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

I wasn't saying don't mention Stewie, was merely suggesting not focusing on the intricate details.

Just my view.

Needs plenty of discussion re support and fund raising, and our love for the man himself!!

Is their a full fundraising thing for Stewie at all?
Marcus Stewart on 20:52 - Sep 9 with 2612 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It is the most cruel of diseases that robs fit and able (mainly men from my experience - I have known at least 4 cases and all were men and then all those I can think of in the public eye are too) of their mobility and ability to communicate but not their mind. It is terminal.

However, there are two different versions. One starts in the tongue and is more aggressive. There have been developmental drugs that may slow it, but I don't know how successful they are. I believe my Dad was on one of them. He lasted 3 years from diagnosis. The other version begins in the extremities and is less aggressive. Stephen Hawkins was able to live for many years with it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Marcus Stewart on 21:24 - Sep 9 with 2475 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Marcus Stewart on 20:43 - Sep 9 by Stewart27

Is their a full fundraising thing for Stewie at all?

His wife has set up a just giving page;

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/louise-stewart254

Hopefully Ed Sheeran will share it and raise awareness.

Marcus Stewart on 21:30 - Sep 9 with 2435 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

I would just like to focus on the positive memories of Marcus Stewart. They were such wonderful times at PR. When we took him off Huddersfield in what was it, February of 2000, we just knew that he was the final piece in the jigsaw, it weakened a rival and would give us that edge. The Playoffs were superb, but the one player who really made the difference was Stewie. And of all the strikers we have had since I can remember, back to the late 60s and up to now, we have never ever had anyone who comes close to being as cool headed in front of goal. Difference strikers have different attributes. Ted Phillips had the most powerful shot. Trevor Whymark was the best in the air. Mariner had a really strong all round game with lots of physicality. And so on. But Stewie was just as cool as ice when he was in front of goa, a true goal machine. Walking along, singing a song, walking in a Stewart Wonderland. Those were the days. Very best wishes Stewie for the battle you have ahead, we are all with you in spirit.

Poll: would you rather

Marcus Stewart on 21:48 - Sep 9 with 2347 viewsDBaldy

While obviously this is awful news, there's still hope for Marcus to make the best of the time he has left.

I'm guessing no-one here has heard of Steve Gleason? He's an iconic former NFL player for my favourite team & was diagnosed with MND (although the yanks call it ALS - Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) in January 2011 at age 33.

He's still alive nearly 12 years later & has done loads for ALS sufferers in the States through his foundation Team Gleason. He's been confined to a wheelchair for several years now, but has a Stephen Hawking like motorised chair with built in computer & speech system which allows him to talk using technology where he types on a digital keyboard using his eyes (which are basically the only physical part of him which still "works").

He's even managed to have 2 children (1 of which was 4 years ago after using a frozen sample) & last year his support team helped him climb Machu Pichu of all things.

I'm typing this on my phone so trying to find links to all of this info is going to be a pain, but I'd suggest people Google search him & his foundation & maybe there's something that can help Marcus.

He's an absolute inspiration,to the point there's a statue of him outside the Superdome in New Orleans & he has raised millions of dollars to help thousands of ALS sufferers, so this doesn't have to be the end for Marcus, & hopefully he'll be able to make the best of his awful situation.
Marcus Stewart on 22:12 - Sep 9 with 2269 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Marcus Stewart on 21:48 - Sep 9 by DBaldy

While obviously this is awful news, there's still hope for Marcus to make the best of the time he has left.

I'm guessing no-one here has heard of Steve Gleason? He's an iconic former NFL player for my favourite team & was diagnosed with MND (although the yanks call it ALS - Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) in January 2011 at age 33.

He's still alive nearly 12 years later & has done loads for ALS sufferers in the States through his foundation Team Gleason. He's been confined to a wheelchair for several years now, but has a Stephen Hawking like motorised chair with built in computer & speech system which allows him to talk using technology where he types on a digital keyboard using his eyes (which are basically the only physical part of him which still "works").

He's even managed to have 2 children (1 of which was 4 years ago after using a frozen sample) & last year his support team helped him climb Machu Pichu of all things.

I'm typing this on my phone so trying to find links to all of this info is going to be a pain, but I'd suggest people Google search him & his foundation & maybe there's something that can help Marcus.

He's an absolute inspiration,to the point there's a statue of him outside the Superdome in New Orleans & he has raised millions of dollars to help thousands of ALS sufferers, so this doesn't have to be the end for Marcus, & hopefully he'll be able to make the best of his awful situation.

I hadn't heard of him, but from just reading a few articles I can see he is a truly inspirational guy!!

Marcus Stewart on 22:43 - Sep 9 with 2193 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Marcus Stewart on 21:48 - Sep 9 by DBaldy

As I say above there is an aggressive version and a much less so. Even within each prognosis appears to vary.

Here is hoping Marcus' is the less aggressive one and he has many active years ahead of him.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Marcus Stewart on 22:47 - Sep 9 with 2159 viewsIllinoisblue

Marcus Stewart on 19:59 - Sep 9 by jeera

If your friend and his family are struggling financially would it worth setting up a Fund Me type thing to try to help out or is that not the done thing?

As you say the costs soon mount up and time isn't on side with that awful disease.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 20:04]

From what I can tell, his brother is rather loaded so it sounds like that he may be of some help there. His kids are a year older than my youngest and I just can’t begin to imagine how you deal with the reality and enormity of the situation.

It’s been a bastard of a week.

62 - 78 - 81

Marcus Stewart on 23:04 - Sep 9 with 2126 viewsBlueBadger

At the risk of sounding controversial, this was the news story that's upset me most last 24 hours.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Marcus Stewart on 23:12 - Sep 9 with 2092 viewsRonFearonsHair

Marcus Stewart on 23:04 - Sep 9 by BlueBadger

At the risk of sounding controversial, this was the news story that's upset me most last 24 hours.

It was a massive kick in the guts when my attention had been diverted elsewhere. I desperately hope that Holland and Co can help arrange something at PR that he can attend.
Marcus Stewart on 12:56 - Sep 10 with 1719 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Marcus Stewart on 23:04 - Sep 9 by BlueBadger

I think that's probably common of most ITFC fans.

Marcus Stewart on 09:23 - Sep 11 with 1496 viewstractorboy1978

Marcus Stewart on 21:30 - Sep 9 by LegendofthePhoenix

I would just like to focus on the positive memories of Marcus Stewart. They were such wonderful times at PR. When we took him off Huddersfield in what was it, February of 2000, we just knew that he was the final piece in the jigsaw, it weakened a rival and would give us that edge. The Playoffs were superb, but the one player who really made the difference was Stewie. And of all the strikers we have had since I can remember, back to the late 60s and up to now, we have never ever had anyone who comes close to being as cool headed in front of goal. Difference strikers have different attributes. Ted Phillips had the most powerful shot. Trevor Whymark was the best in the air. Mariner had a really strong all round game with lots of physicality. And so on. But Stewie was just as cool as ice when he was in front of goa, a true goal machine. Walking along, singing a song, walking in a Stewart Wonderland. Those were the days. Very best wishes Stewie for the battle you have ahead, we are all with you in spirit.

That's lovely to hear from a fan that has seen far more good times than I have. As a 32 year old, Stewart is the best striker I've seen in a Town shirt without doubt but great to hear him being talked about alongside some true greats of the club.

I had a shirt with '11 Stewart' on as a kid and he was the one everyone my age wanted to emulate when we played on Saturday mornings and up the park. He made such an impact in the relatively short time he was here and gave us so many happy memories.

The brace at Bolton. The goal at Wembley. The winner at Anfield. The hat trick at the Dell. The chip at Helsingborgs, to name a few.
Marcus Stewart on 08:27 - Sep 12 with 1229 viewsChurchman

Marcus Stewart on 21:30 - Sep 9 by LegendofthePhoenix

I was too young to appraise Crawford and he was also past his prime by then, but his goals speak for themselves. Mariner was the best forward I saw play for Ipswich and up there with any I saw play for anyone else. His all round game was sublime.

Whymark was actually more than the best header of the ball I saw play for us. He was decent on the ground too.

In terms of finishers, there are two for me. Alan Brazil and Marcus Stewart. Brazil scored 70 in 154 appearances. Both were lethal. Brazil was pace and Stewart was more about positional play which he had an unerring skill in finding. Both in front of goal - thank you and goodnight. I was so lucky to see these people play.

Honourable mentions for the two David Johnsons too. A key player in Robson’s first great team. Not a finisher to Stewart’s level but a mighty fine player. You didn’t play for us about 140 times or Liverpool slightly more if you weren’t. David Johnson 2 was a really good finisher too, but his goals all came at a lower level. Terrific player though - I loved watching him play.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024