Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WBA borrowing 20 mil 19:13 - Dec 28 with 3050 viewsBlueandTruesince82

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64111067

Bit of a trend this, interesting to see what happens if they dont get back up in the next couple of years

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 19:19 - Dec 28 with 2932 viewsJ2BLUE

Quite frankly, I hope this is a disaster. Nothing against WBA but we gave the footballing world 15 years or so under Evans where we were no threat at all to the Championship promotion places so it would be nice to have that favour returned with a few of the bigger guns not being a threat.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 19:56 - Dec 28 with 2711 viewsArnieM

Why is it Clubs just don’t learn? It’s a lottery this promotion melarkie. Injuries , loss of firm can change a dead very scenario very quickly.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 20:09 - Dec 28 with 2640 viewsNthsuffolkblue

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 19:19 - Dec 28 by J2BLUE

Quite frankly, I hope this is a disaster. Nothing against WBA but we gave the footballing world 15 years or so under Evans where we were no threat at all to the Championship promotion places so it would be nice to have that favour returned with a few of the bigger guns not being a threat.

My motivation for hoping it doesn't work is that it has become almost an expectation for all clubs to spend beyond their means in order to try to compete. It is about time that clubs were run on a sound financial footing and those that make the best use of the resources they can afford achieved success.

Bury, Bolton, Derby, it seems clubs do not learn.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 20:25 - Dec 28 with 2561 viewscbower

20 million. Let's say WBA have a squad of 20 players averaging 20k per week. There's your 20 million gone on player wages alone before all other running costs are taken into account. Of course the club has income from games, merchandise, TV etc but as my old man said for years, football will end up going up its own ar$hol€. The sums of money needed just to compete in the 2nd tier of English football are insane, indeed immoral.

bluescouser

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 20:33 - Dec 28 with 2455 viewsIllinoisblue

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 20:25 - Dec 28 by cbower

20 million. Let's say WBA have a squad of 20 players averaging 20k per week. There's your 20 million gone on player wages alone before all other running costs are taken into account. Of course the club has income from games, merchandise, TV etc but as my old man said for years, football will end up going up its own ar$hol€. The sums of money needed just to compete in the 2nd tier of English football are insane, indeed immoral.

But, mostly, even in the worst of cases - Derby County - nothing of consequence ever really happens.

So long as there are hundreds of millions on offer in the prem, there’ll be investors willing to take a gamble on getting there. There’s a reason why we’re owned by an Arizona pension fund.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 21:01 - Dec 28 with 2296 viewscbower

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 20:33 - Dec 28 by Illinoisblue

But, mostly, even in the worst of cases - Derby County - nothing of consequence ever really happens.

So long as there are hundreds of millions on offer in the prem, there’ll be investors willing to take a gamble on getting there. There’s a reason why we’re owned by an Arizona pension fund.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. We may well reach the Land Of Milk and Honey sometime in the next 5 or 6 years (got to get out of L1 though first) but can we compete? Even clubs like Sunderland, WBA, Stoke City, Burnley, Birmingham and Charlton who have spent decent periods of time in the Premier League have found themselves with financial issues once the inevitable relegation comes along. I grew up in the 70s and early 80s when smaller clubs outside the big 6 were able to challenge ( and sometimes win) for the title. Town, QPR, Derby, Forest, Watford, Swansea to name a few. Nowadays, if Leeds or Everton got anywhere near the top it would be considered a major surprise. Money has always played a part in the game I know, but now it is quite simply the only things that matters. I want Town at the top table of course but at the same time lament what it takes to firstly get there, and subsequently stay there for any length of time.

bluescouser

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 21:03 - Dec 28 with 2278 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 20:09 - Dec 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

My motivation for hoping it doesn't work is that it has become almost an expectation for all clubs to spend beyond their means in order to try to compete. It is about time that clubs were run on a sound financial footing and those that make the best use of the resources they can afford achieved success.

Bury, Bolton, Derby, it seems clubs do not learn.

Yes, and in a few seasons time when WBA are in administration, their fans will be very vocal about the terrible state they find themselves in. This kind of thing is going to bring the whole pyramid tumbling down eventually.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 21:06 - Dec 28 with 2264 viewsChurchman

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 20:25 - Dec 28 by cbower

It’s £20m over four years. They’re out of parachute money and they owe some mush £4.95m. This loan is not to be sniffed at as it may keep WBA afloat for a while, but I can’t see it doing much more than that.
Login to get fewer ads

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 21:18 - Dec 28 with 2201 viewscbower

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 21:06 - Dec 28 by Churchman

It’s £20m over four years. They’re out of parachute money and they owe some mush £4.95m. This loan is not to be sniffed at as it may keep WBA afloat for a while, but I can’t see it doing much more than that.

Fear for Forest myself. Huge spending huge in the summer and currently one place off bottom. Iceberg ahead!

bluescouser

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 21:40 - Dec 28 with 2061 viewsitfcsuth

Borrowing from MSD is a sign of desperation.

Been lending to a couple of clubs at over 9% which is ridiculously high - Southampton were paying £7M in interest to MSD at one point - banks were not far above zero % interest at the time.

Worrying sign for WBA.
WBA borrowing 20 mil on 21:55 - Dec 28 with 1971 viewsBlueandTruesince82

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 21:06 - Dec 28 by Churchman

I think he owes them doesn't he? Took it out of the club to support other busisness

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 22:33 - Dec 28 with 1808 viewsIllinoisblue

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 21:01 - Dec 28 by cbower

Yes, you are absolutely correct. We may well reach the Land Of Milk and Honey sometime in the next 5 or 6 years (got to get out of L1 though first) but can we compete? Even clubs like Sunderland, WBA, Stoke City, Burnley, Birmingham and Charlton who have spent decent periods of time in the Premier League have found themselves with financial issues once the inevitable relegation comes along. I grew up in the 70s and early 80s when smaller clubs outside the big 6 were able to challenge ( and sometimes win) for the title. Town, QPR, Derby, Forest, Watford, Swansea to name a few. Nowadays, if Leeds or Everton got anywhere near the top it would be considered a major surprise. Money has always played a part in the game I know, but now it is quite simply the only things that matters. I want Town at the top table of course but at the same time lament what it takes to firstly get there, and subsequently stay there for any length of time.

Indeed, the structure is broken and parachute payments only distort the championship even more. As you say, even if we got there, then what? I guess we become a Norwich yo-yo-ing between the top two divisions. Which is better than being in the third tier but ultimately, where’s the hope? Even Man City and their financial cheating ways take the league cup seriously now. There’s not a lot left to win. Probably the best to hope for is to become a Crystal Palace. Steady and unremarkable but chugging along nicely.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 22:35 - Dec 28 with 1793 viewsChurchman

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 21:55 - Dec 28 by BlueandTruesince82

I think he owes them doesn't he? Took it out of the club to support other busisness

I clearly didn’t read it properly. It’s still a mess though
WBA borrowing 20 mil on 22:43 - Dec 28 with 1753 viewsPinewoodblue

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 22:33 - Dec 28 by Illinoisblue

Indeed, the structure is broken and parachute payments only distort the championship even more. As you say, even if we got there, then what? I guess we become a Norwich yo-yo-ing between the top two divisions. Which is better than being in the third tier but ultimately, where’s the hope? Even Man City and their financial cheating ways take the league cup seriously now. There’s not a lot left to win. Probably the best to hope for is to become a Crystal Palace. Steady and unremarkable but chugging along nicely.

Changes are in the pipeline awaiting final approval. Premier League is concerned about reckless spending by championship clubs.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/premier-league-championship-efl-clubs-parach

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 11:06 - Dec 29 with 1154 viewspointofblue

WBA borrowing 20 mil on 22:43 - Dec 28 by Pinewoodblue

Changes are in the pipeline awaiting final approval. Premier League is concerned about reckless spending by championship clubs.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/premier-league-championship-efl-clubs-parach

The best thing would be to alter the sliding scale from the Premier League down, with only a minor difference between each place and each division (say £100,000 per position down the pyramid). It'd level everything up and make English football more competitive.

It will never happen.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024