Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Following on from the music lovers thread... 23:39 - Feb 6 with 3347 viewshoppy

And the comment from SWGF that he'd missed seeing Oasis at the Army & Navy in Chelmsford in 1994...

Which unknown bands have you been to see in their early days that then went on to be pretty big afterwards?

I saw Blur at the Northampton Irish Centre on 19 April 1991, 4 days after they'd just released There's No Other Way... and 5 days before recording their first appearance on Top of The Pops... Ticket was something like £2.50.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 02:45 - Feb 7 with 2274 viewsIllinoisblue

Saw Blur at the corn exchange in summer of 91. Think it must have been after the release of there's no other way. Lots of screaming girls.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 08:54 - Feb 7 with 2203 viewsRadlett_blue

I missed seeing Squeeze twice in their early days when they were support band & I stayed in the bar. Silly me!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 09:42 - Feb 7 with 2168 viewsAtmosphere

U2 - Half Moon Herne Hill in 1980
Following on from the music lovers thread... on 09:55 - Feb 7 with 2152 viewsfeelingblue

Saw Shakin Stevens loads of times, in the early/mid '70s, when he was Shakin Stevens and the Sunsets, a rock n roll revival band who appeared at university balls etc all over the place.

Squeeze at a student gig in 1976/77

Couldn't be arsed to see some band no-one had heard of playing at Art Exchange in Reading - 10p to get in. They were called the Sex Pistols.

Massive Attack, when they were The Wild Bunch, at the DugOut in Bristol.
Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:02 - Feb 7 with 2143 viewshoppy

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 09:55 - Feb 7 by feelingblue

Saw Shakin Stevens loads of times, in the early/mid '70s, when he was Shakin Stevens and the Sunsets, a rock n roll revival band who appeared at university balls etc all over the place.

Squeeze at a student gig in 1976/77

Couldn't be arsed to see some band no-one had heard of playing at Art Exchange in Reading - 10p to get in. They were called the Sex Pistols.

Massive Attack, when they were The Wild Bunch, at the DugOut in Bristol.

At college, we had a band for our Summer Ball, the compere for the evening came on stage to introduce them with these words...

"I think you're in for a treat tonight... We only ever get bands coming to Northampton twice in their careers, once on their way up, and once on their way down, so it's a real pleasure for me tonight to say... welcome back to...... Bad Manners..."

Buster Bloodvessel did not look a happy man...

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:05 - Feb 7 with 2136 viewsDebsyAngel

When I went to see Smashing Pumpkins in Cambridge about 1992. There was a little known at the time support band - who blew the Pumpkins offstage!!!

The Verve.....
Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:10 - Feb 7 with 2120 viewsblueislander

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:05 - Feb 7 by DebsyAngel

When I went to see Smashing Pumpkins in Cambridge about 1992. There was a little known at the time support band - who blew the Pumpkins offstage!!!

The Verve.....

Spencer Davis Group came to Bluesville at the Manor Ballroom loads of times before Keep on Running became a hit . The next time they came Bluesville was moved to the Baths Hall , which they did on occasions for better known bands.

I also saw Joe Cocker at Great Yarmouth before A little help from my friends became a hit.

Geno Washington who had been a US serviceman at Bentwaters used to perform locally prior to making it big nationally.
Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:27 - Feb 7 with 2093 viewsDubtractor

Not a band that become huge, but I saw feeder in the drum and monkey in the late 90s.

Also saw muse supporting feeder at the corn exchange in 1999
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 10:36]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:33 - Feb 7 with 2078 viewsGuthrum

At a college ball in 1990 saw a very new band called Curve (supporting the ABBA tribute which topped the bill). They were pretty good.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:36 - Feb 7 with 2061 viewshoppy

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:27 - Feb 7 by Dubtractor

Not a band that become huge, but I saw feeder in the drum and monkey in the late 90s.

That's a good enough one for this thread. I've always quite liked them.

This only made it as a B side...

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:37 - Feb 7 with 2058 viewsPhilTWTD

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:27 - Feb 7 by Dubtractor

I was there as well! Wasn't the other band on the bill one which went on to get some notoriety as well?

Re the OP, I saw PJ Harvey at the Adelphi in Hull just as she was starting to break through, absolutely packed, audience on the stage regularly just through weight of numbers.
Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:39 - Feb 7 with 2047 viewshoppy

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:33 - Feb 7 by Guthrum

At a college ball in 1990 saw a very new band called Curve (supporting the ABBA tribute which topped the bill). They were pretty good.

I saw them in Northampton too. They were excellent. It was around the time of them releasing Doppelgänger, so they were promoting that.

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:08 - Feb 7 with 1985 viewsvapour_trail

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 10:39 - Feb 7 by hoppy

I saw them in Northampton too. They were excellent. It was around the time of them releasing Doppelgänger, so they were promoting that.

I saw them in some dive in Aldershot as ten little girls came out. Should have been bigger, those two.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:13 - Feb 7 with 1969 viewshoppy

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:08 - Feb 7 by vapour_trail

I saw them in some dive in Aldershot as ten little girls came out. Should have been bigger, those two.

Agreed...

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:19 - Feb 7 with 1947 viewshoppy

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:08 - Feb 7 by vapour_trail

Also saw Ride in Northampton around that same time too, although they were a bit more established... and I have to say, I still love Vapour Trail... there, I've said it.

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:20 - Feb 7 with 1944 viewsHeathlander

McFly supporting Busted at Wembley Arena before anyone had heard of them :)

James supporting the Boomtown rats at the Regent.
Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:23 - Feb 7 with 1914 viewsdidsburyblue

Saw Franz Ferdinand supporting a Canadian band called 'Hot Hot Heat' at Sheffield Leadmill in 2003 in front of about 50 people. After the gig I was offered a free 7" of a song they played called 'Take Me Out', which was apparently about to be released as a single. I refused as I couldn't be arsed carrying it around all night. Slight regret about that one.

Also saw the Libertines at the same venue in 2002 because I was going to the clubnight there afterwards and my mate told me 'they must be kind of ok as they were in the NME that week'.
Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:24 - Feb 7 with 1910 viewsvapour_trail

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:19 - Feb 7 by hoppy

Also saw Ride in Northampton around that same time too, although they were a bit more established... and I have to say, I still love Vapour Trail... there, I've said it.

Everyone loves a bit of VT, hoppy!

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:25 - Feb 7 with 1913 viewsuncle

I saw Muse supporting somebody in either Stafford or Wolverhampton in the late 90s, and everybody said at the time that whoever they were, were damm good.
A year or so later Showbiz came out...

I also saw Rick Astley, lead singer of a group at the time, perform at Soap Aid - a real thing, where the stars of corry, emmerdale, and a few other soaps, walked on stage between bands, as part of the whole band aid thing. Knowsley Road stadium, St Helens, mid 80's .
You're jealous aren't you?
Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:29 - Feb 7 with 1883 viewshoppy

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:25 - Feb 7 by uncle

I saw Muse supporting somebody in either Stafford or Wolverhampton in the late 90s, and everybody said at the time that whoever they were, were damm good.
A year or so later Showbiz came out...

I also saw Rick Astley, lead singer of a group at the time, perform at Soap Aid - a real thing, where the stars of corry, emmerdale, and a few other soaps, walked on stage between bands, as part of the whole band aid thing. Knowsley Road stadium, St Helens, mid 80's .
You're jealous aren't you?

Forget their autographs... I want yours.

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:29 - Feb 7 with 1876 viewsTollycobbold

Biffy Clyro.
Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:31 - Feb 7 with 1856 viewshoppy

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:24 - Feb 7 by vapour_trail

Everyone loves a bit of VT, hoppy!

I've just had the full 8 minutes 16 seconds of Leave Them All Behind come on after I'd grabbed that VT clip... I think I'm in line for a shoegazing theme day now. Excellent stuff.

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:41 - Feb 7 with 1833 viewsGlasgowBlue

None myself but my dad saw the Beatles in Hamburg when he was in the merchant navy.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 11:57 - Feb 7 with 1815 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Iron Maiden at St Andrews Hall, Norwich in 1980, had just had their 1st minor hit, Running Free. The accoustics were not up to much, but had a great night. Honestly didn,t think they would make it big.
The Cure supporting Siouxsie & the Banshees at the Gaumont around 1980.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Following on from the music lovers thread... on 12:07 - Feb 7 with 1800 viewsurbanblue

I saw Damian Rice at a pub in Perth, here in Australia,just after O came out. He didn't have the girl singer with him so set up two microphones, one which distorted his voice, and used that one for what was the female vocals in the songs. It was absofeckinlutely superb. Gave the songs a whole new feel. Could have heard a pin drop in the audience. One of the best gigs I've seen.

Saw him again a couple of years later at a big outdoor venue with full band and the girl singer (Forget her name) .... Meh!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024