Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you were PM, what would you address? 13:00 - Mar 28 with 3470 viewsclive_baker

First thing I would do is rip up the school syllabus and start again.

Stop spending hours analysing 500 year old poems or acting out Blood Brothers and start teaching kids about managing money, financing debt, taxes, public services, society, moral science - respecting others, how to be a good person, family values, respecting elders. Career options, communication skills.

Circa 50% of the current syllabus should be extra curricular IMO. There for those that want them but not compulsory.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:04 - Mar 28 with 2231 viewsbournemouthblue

Life skills in relation to work could certainly be improved

There's a certain band of people who go through the whole education system in an academic capacity who are highly capable but have never developed the basic life skills required for working in a work environment. These are group we are failing.

What did the old general studies course cover?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:08 - Mar 28 with 2217 viewsNo9

" start teaching kids about managing money, financing debt, taxes, public services, society, moral science - respecting others, how to be a good person, family values, respecting elders"

When I was at school this was taught as 'Citizenship" but, only to the B / C/ streams.

I was in the A stream and the Headmaster considered we already were well equiped in these subjects. He was very wrong
If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:15 - Mar 28 with 2184 viewsTractorWood

People who say 'I done that'.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:18 - Mar 28 with 2185 viewsBlueBadger

Oh bloody hell, want in to tidy up a little something now, it's all gone.

TL:DR version: reducing funding and times for arts subjects is short-termist philistinism and runs counter productive to what the OP wants, given that you can apply most modern subjects to how they work with regard to those things.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 14:09]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:22 - Mar 28 with 2162 viewsbournemouthblue

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:08 - Mar 28 by No9

" start teaching kids about managing money, financing debt, taxes, public services, society, moral science - respecting others, how to be a good person, family values, respecting elders"

When I was at school this was taught as 'Citizenship" but, only to the B / C/ streams.

I was in the A stream and the Headmaster considered we already were well equiped in these subjects. He was very wrong

presumably general studies and home economics ticked a lot of the boxes for the OP's thinking?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:24 - Mar 28 with 2149 viewsRyorry

On my curriculum would be - practical maths & economics (eg how much money wd be saved by buying Abdul's pizzas at £x for a birthday party of #X rather than Pizza emporium's at £xx); practical English (how to write letters and essays, incl w. supporting evidence); how to think critically & research + analyse independently. History & Geography. Environmental studies incorporating biology, basic chemistry and physics. Basic DIY & cooking for all. Community & personal health, relationships & respect. Current events discussions. Arts incl drama, music. Sports, min 30 mins daily

Maths
English
Thinking critically
History & Geography
Environment & sciences
Arts incl drama, music
Relationships inc Current Events discussions
DIY/cooking
Sport
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 13:26]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:34 - Mar 28 with 2118 viewsBlueBadger

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:24 - Mar 28 by Ryorry

On my curriculum would be - practical maths & economics (eg how much money wd be saved by buying Abdul's pizzas at £x for a birthday party of #X rather than Pizza emporium's at £xx); practical English (how to write letters and essays, incl w. supporting evidence); how to think critically & research + analyse independently. History & Geography. Environmental studies incorporating biology, basic chemistry and physics. Basic DIY & cooking for all. Community & personal health, relationships & respect. Current events discussions. Arts incl drama, music. Sports, min 30 mins daily

Maths
English
Thinking critically
History & Geography
Environment & sciences
Arts incl drama, music
DIY/cooking
Sport

'Critical thinking' on its own doesn't really work as a subject. It's best off combined with the sciences media studies and history, for example.
You could apply it in science by say, using actual science to demonstrate why Gillian Mckeith(to give her her full medical title) is utterly, mind-b*ggeringly wrong in her claim that 'darker leaves on plants are good for you, because they contain "chlorophyll - the 'blood' of the plant - which will really oxygenate your blood.'

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:34 - Mar 28 with 2121 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

The youth would certainly be a great place to start - but equal attention should be attributed to the old institutions that need to cease existing.There's no place for a House of Lords in 2017.

Another great investment for the youth would be funding special night schools that focus on developing particular skills - fantastic for kids interested in medicine etc. at a young age.
Login to get fewer ads

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:38 - Mar 28 with 2115 viewsBlueLikeJazz

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:34 - Mar 28 by BlueBadger

'Critical thinking' on its own doesn't really work as a subject. It's best off combined with the sciences media studies and history, for example.
You could apply it in science by say, using actual science to demonstrate why Gillian Mckeith(to give her her full medical title) is utterly, mind-b*ggeringly wrong in her claim that 'darker leaves on plants are good for you, because they contain "chlorophyll - the 'blood' of the plant - which will really oxygenate your blood.'

I basically do agree with you, but Philosophy works as a standalone discipline that touches on a lot of that. Philosophy on the National Curriculum, please.

Edited to add: what the...? SHEESH, where do you even START with that?? *head in hands*
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 13:39]
If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:40 - Mar 28 with 2096 viewsBlueLikeJazz

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:18 - Mar 28 by BlueBadger

Oh bloody hell, want in to tidy up a little something now, it's all gone.

TL:DR version: reducing funding and times for arts subjects is short-termist philistinism and runs counter productive to what the OP wants, given that you can apply most modern subjects to how they work with regard to those things.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 14:09]

Yes. 'Stop teaching 500 year old poems' - yeah cos who could learn anything from that? *rolls eyes*
If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:42 - Mar 28 with 2084 viewsRyorry

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:34 - Mar 28 by BlueBadger

Sure; I'd tie it in with Current Events, but could be applied to many subjects on my list.

Btw, your example reminded me of thiss little ditty (by Jilly Cooper, mainly for kids who dislike eating their greens iirc!)

"Stinking goat on yonder hill
Feeds all day on chlorophyll"

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:45 - Mar 28 with 2079 viewsreusersfreekicks

Set the troops on the Daily MaiI And the Sun
Declare the Brexit Referendum null and void due to number of lies told
If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:47 - Mar 28 with 2067 viewsBlueBadger

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:40 - Mar 28 by BlueLikeJazz

Yes. 'Stop teaching 500 year old poems' - yeah cos who could learn anything from that? *rolls eyes*

That Shakespeare fella never said anything that Pam Ayers didn't.

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:54 - Mar 28 with 2044 viewsNo9

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:24 - Mar 28 by Ryorry

Maths
English
Thinking critically
History & Geography
Environment & sciences
Arts incl drama, music
DIY/cooking
Sport

FAIL = the tories don't want humans
If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:59 - Mar 28 with 2018 viewsFKA_tomtheblue

"Stop spending hours analysing 500 year old poems"

"start teaching...respecting others, how to be a good person"

hmmmmm.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/novel-finding-reading-literary-fictio

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none
Poll: TWTDs best couple?

If you were PM, what would you address? on 14:00 - Mar 28 with 2004 viewsRyorry

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:47 - Mar 28 by BlueBadger

He'd certainly have said "turn off that dreadful woman and her doggerel"!

If you were PM, what would you address? on 14:06 - Mar 28 with 1983 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Replace art and drama with something more relevant like "how to make youtube content"
If you were PM, what would you address? on 14:13 - Mar 28 with 1972 viewsBlueBadger

If you were PM, what would you address? on 14:06 - Mar 28 by FrowsyArmLarry

Replace art and drama with something more relevant like "how to make youtube content"

TB did this sort of thing much more elegantly.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 14:13]

If you were PM, what would you address? on 14:21 - Mar 28 with 1947 viewshoppy

If you were PM, what would you address? on 13:47 - Mar 28 by BlueBadger

Did he look after his teeth, though?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

If you were PM, what would you address? on 14:27 - Mar 28 with 1919 viewschicoazul

I'd cancel Trident.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If you were PM, what would you address? on 14:35 - Mar 28 with 1899 viewsWeWereZombies

If you were PM, what would you address? on 14:00 - Mar 28 by Ryorry

He'd certainly have said "turn off that dreadful woman and her doggerel"!

Are you talking about Pam Ayers or Theresa May?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

If you were PM, what would you address? on 15:19 - Mar 28 with 1860 viewsGuthrum

Teaching people to think and analyse is vital. '500 year-old poems' are as good to practice on as contemporary news reports.

Culture is an important part of the country's moral landscape.

Acting improves communication skills.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If you were PM, what would you address? on 15:32 - Mar 28 with 1841 viewsGeoffSentence

I woud fight against the burning injustice that if you are born poor you will dies on average 9 years earlier than others. And that if you are black you are treated more harshly by the criminal justice system than if you are white.

I would deal with the wage gap between men and women.

If you are at a state school you are less likely to reach the top professions than if you are privately educated, I'd sort that out.

I would make Britain work for everyone, for ordinary working class families who are just about managing, not for the interests of the privileged few.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

If you were PM, what would you address? on 15:34 - Mar 28 with 1828 viewsRyorry

If you were PM, what would you address? on 14:35 - Mar 28 by WeWereZombies

Are you talking about Pam Ayers or Theresa May?

Well I originally meant PA, but if he had somehow returned to us, he'd probably have applied it to Ma Thatcher before TM! ;)

If you were PM, what would you address? on 15:37 - Mar 28 with 1812 viewsRyorry

If you were PM, what would you address? on 15:32 - Mar 28 by GeoffSentence

I woud fight against the burning injustice that if you are born poor you will dies on average 9 years earlier than others. And that if you are black you are treated more harshly by the criminal justice system than if you are white.

I would deal with the wage gap between men and women.

If you are at a state school you are less likely to reach the top professions than if you are privately educated, I'd sort that out.

I would make Britain work for everyone, for ordinary working class families who are just about managing, not for the interests of the privileged few.

Good luck with the Revolution, brother :)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024