Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance 14:47 - May 8 with 10421 viewsGlasgowBlue

from 12% to 20%.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/08/labour-plan-hit-millions-workers-hiki

Taking aside that those who take out private health care insurance already contribute to the NHS through NI deductions, if you drive people from private to NHS the strain will put the NHS at breaking point.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:15 - May 9 with 2078 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:13 - May 9 by sparks

Elaborate. I don't eat two full hot meals a day. Why pay for kids from families who can afford decent ecenibg meals to do so when there is so much else to spend on?

Maybe this will help you?

https://www.barnardos.org.uk/what_we_do/our_work/child_poverty/child_poverty_wha
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:16 - May 9 with 2075 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 07:40 - May 9 by sparks

There are far more important things to spend on kids who need meals get them now. Do kids need two full hot meals a day? We are worried about obesity but now propose feeding them more.

Where would you be assuming that second hot meal comes from !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:27 - May 9 with 2063 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 00:52 - May 9 by bournemouthblue

When it was originally suggested we were still in the EU

Who knows what post-Brexit Britain will be like, my fear is a hard right Tory shaped Brexit will move Britain to more American model of rule with an even smaller state and greedier profit chasing companies with fewer care for rights or ethics. It will to a huge power grab for the private sector, making even more money for the wealthy elite who off shore much of their assets, own our newspapers and banks etc. The one's who feel the growth whilst our wages stagnate.

That's not a Britain I want to live in and the danger of a hard Brexit is the winners get to shape Britain for the next 30 - 40 years. It's that big a political change for our country.

My fear is we'll open up our market to cheaper, inferior goods made in a less ethical manner and less care for safety for the workers and the consumer.

The EU is protectionist for EU goods with which our own goods themselves were also classified. We are leaving that club because we don't like immigrants from Eastern Europe flooding in too quickly. If of course immigration is the same or higher post-Brexit, the same people moaning about Poles will be moaning about Indians, Americans or the Chinese instead and we'll be back to square one.

It's a mess and we won't know the true consequences for around a decade imho.

(Late night rant on Brexit, fun times)
[Post edited 9 May 2017 0:54]

Has Felixstowe closed yet?

Iron Lion Zion

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:27 - May 9 with 2062 viewsStokieBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:13 - May 9 by No9

It was a question

In which case, no, I don't think they should.

However it's nothing to do with my point about not being a banana republic who change laws to deliberately drive companies out of business just at the time we are looking for inward investment. I think that's a totally crazy idea.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:30 - May 9 with 2057 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:27 - May 9 by GlasgowBlue

Sounds like he agrees if that's the best he can manage !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:32 - May 9 with 2052 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:27 - May 9 by GlasgowBlue

Felixstowe was one of the few container ports wit a decline in traffic in 2016.

Now the rail link (using DB loco's) in open from Barking the port traffic will probably decline further

Last time I was at Shotley penisular there were 4 ships in Felixstowe but only one was working & there was nothing in Harwich
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:45 - May 9 with 2038 viewsbournemouthblue

At no stage did I suggest it would close and you well know this

I felt Brexit could effect jobs at Felixstowe if trade with Europe diminished, that is not the same as saying it would close

Well done for taking 1 + 1 and getting 10

Felixstowe is under increased pressure from London Gateway, not helped by the fact the road infrastructure leaving Felixstowe is really poor. The East has been forgotten when it comes to infrastructure projects.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:58 - May 9 with 2022 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:45 - May 9 by bournemouthblue

At no stage did I suggest it would close and you well know this

I felt Brexit could effect jobs at Felixstowe if trade with Europe diminished, that is not the same as saying it would close

Well done for taking 1 + 1 and getting 10

Felixstowe is under increased pressure from London Gateway, not helped by the fact the road infrastructure leaving Felixstowe is really poor. The East has been forgotten when it comes to infrastructure projects.

Over the past 5-6 years competition to attract marine traffic has been fierce with the UK largely left behind.
Large investments in Noorthern Europe - Ports/roads/rail mean the bigger ships will be attracted leaving the UK to have most stuff transhipped to smaller ports or via te tunnel
Login to get fewer ads

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:13 - May 9 with 2013 viewshype313

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:32 - May 9 by No9

Felixstowe was one of the few container ports wit a decline in traffic in 2016.

Now the rail link (using DB loco's) in open from Barking the port traffic will probably decline further

Last time I was at Shotley penisular there were 4 ships in Felixstowe but only one was working & there was nothing in Harwich

My friend works at the docks, over the past 12 months he has been doing so much overtime, they are incredibly busy and are on another recruitment drive.

Who knows what will happen post brexit, but currently as it stands, nothing has changed, in fact it has been busier than normal over the past year.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:28 - May 9 with 1997 viewsFootballpete

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:58 - May 9 by No9

Over the past 5-6 years competition to attract marine traffic has been fierce with the UK largely left behind.
Large investments in Noorthern Europe - Ports/roads/rail mean the bigger ships will be attracted leaving the UK to have most stuff transhipped to smaller ports or via te tunnel

What are you talking about? Several of the new "mega ships" make their maiden call at Felixstowe. In fact over the past 12 months several vessels have been diverted from Felixstowe to London Gateway as the port is too busy to offer them a berth.

It is likely that Brexit will have a negative impact on the port with regards to short sea and roro services, but what you have just stated isn't backed up by anything.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:32 - May 9 with 1981 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:13 - May 9 by hype313

My friend works at the docks, over the past 12 months he has been doing so much overtime, they are incredibly busy and are on another recruitment drive.

Who knows what will happen post brexit, but currently as it stands, nothing has changed, in fact it has been busier than normal over the past year.

I wonder why the lower traffic was reported? Tonnage down about 5%
Mind you the figures release are often late & don't reflect what is happening in the present
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:32 - May 9 with 1978 viewssparks

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:15 - May 9 by No9

Maybe this will help you?

https://www.barnardos.org.uk/what_we_do/our_work/child_poverty/child_poverty_wha

No idea what relevance that has to the point made.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:37 - May 9 with 1968 viewssparks

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:16 - May 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

Where would you be assuming that second hot meal comes from !

??

Most families have an evening meal. I'm surprised to see you and your twin arguing for the proposition that those who can afford it should nevertheless get free stuff which could be spent on people in need.
[Post edited 9 May 2017 10:36]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:44 - May 9 with 1955 viewshype313

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:32 - May 9 by No9

I wonder why the lower traffic was reported? Tonnage down about 5%
Mind you the figures release are often late & don't reflect what is happening in the present

Not sure to be honest, I only go on from what my friend says, I also have a few clients on the docks, and whilst they are maintaining the status quo , there is trepidation surrounding the brexit outcome.

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:49 - May 9 with 1948 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:44 - May 9 by hype313

Not sure to be honest, I only go on from what my friend says, I also have a few clients on the docks, and whilst they are maintaining the status quo , there is trepidation surrounding the brexit outcome.

This link is from the Felixstowe dockers site
It shows, from 2004 to 2016 Felixstowe grew by 2% but in 2016 Felixstowe actually shrunk by 7%

https://felixstowedocker.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/portgraphic-top-15-container-por

With the new rail link from Barking to China it is unlikely to help Felixstowe.
Looking at the port traffic is seems that much of it is inter Europe
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:54 - May 9 with 1936 viewsFootballpete

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:49 - May 9 by No9

This link is from the Felixstowe dockers site
It shows, from 2004 to 2016 Felixstowe grew by 2% but in 2016 Felixstowe actually shrunk by 7%

https://felixstowedocker.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/portgraphic-top-15-container-por

With the new rail link from Barking to China it is unlikely to help Felixstowe.
Looking at the port traffic is seems that much of it is inter Europe

I'd imagine the drop was due to a weak pound against the dollar making it more expensive to import. Which has undoubtedly been a result of the uncertainty following the Brexit result.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:37 - May 9 with 1913 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 09:54 - May 9 by Footballpete

I'd imagine the drop was due to a weak pound against the dollar making it more expensive to import. Which has undoubtedly been a result of the uncertainty following the Brexit result.

Those figures are for April 2015/16 before the vote and before the £ dropped.

Iron Lion Zion

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:40 - May 9 with 1905 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 07:40 - May 9 by sparks

There are far more important things to spend on kids who need meals get them now. Do kids need two full hot meals a day? We are worried about obesity but now propose feeding them more.

There are a lot of kids going to school without having had a good breakfast and, in all likelihood, returning home to something that you wouldn't class as a wholesome evening meal.

Many if them are from low income/education families. The state should be giving them both a breakfast and a healthy lunch as it's proven that a child with a full belly will concentrate and take in their lesson.

To give a free school meal to the children of those who can afford it is absolutely barmy though.

Iron Lion Zion

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:41 - May 9 with 1902 viewshype313

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:40 - May 9 by GlasgowBlue

There are a lot of kids going to school without having had a good breakfast and, in all likelihood, returning home to something that you wouldn't class as a wholesome evening meal.

Many if them are from low income/education families. The state should be giving them both a breakfast and a healthy lunch as it's proven that a child with a full belly will concentrate and take in their lesson.

To give a free school meal to the children of those who can afford it is absolutely barmy though.

Sounds like we're going to means testing everything before long.

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:43 - May 9 with 1897 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:41 - May 9 by hype313

Sounds like we're going to means testing everything before long.

We should. Every help should be given to those who need it. Family allowance, or whatever they call it these days, bus passes, winter fuel payments and school meals should not be given to those who don't need them.

Iron Lion Zion

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:45 - May 9 with 1891 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:37 - May 9 by GlasgowBlue

Those figures are for April 2015/16 before the vote and before the £ dropped.

The figures for the ports was complied by Theo Notteboom in Feb 17 & released in Marh 17.
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:47 - May 9 with 1891 viewsLord_Lucan

This may have been mentioned but the car parking charges were supposedly (I believe) introduced to stop people parking and then going into town to your place of work.

I don't have much of a problem with a car parking charge although it is unfair on people that have to regularly visit sick relatives.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:51 - May 9 with 1879 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:45 - May 9 by No9

The figures for the ports was complied by Theo Notteboom in Feb 17 & released in Marh 17.

If you look at the graph in your own link it says growth for year 2015/16

Iron Lion Zion

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:52 - May 9 with 1878 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:47 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

This may have been mentioned but the car parking charges were supposedly (I believe) introduced to stop people parking and then going into town to your place of work.

I don't have much of a problem with a car parking charge although it is unfair on people that have to regularly visit sick relatives.

& it isn't fair on the NHS workers when they have to pay for CP
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:59 - May 9 with 1859 viewschicoazul

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 10:43 - May 9 by GlasgowBlue

We should. Every help should be given to those who need it. Family allowance, or whatever they call it these days, bus passes, winter fuel payments and school meals should not be given to those who don't need them.

Means testing is extremely expensive.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024