Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance 14:47 - May 8 with 10422 viewsGlasgowBlue

from 12% to 20%.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/08/labour-plan-hit-millions-workers-hiki

Taking aside that those who take out private health care insurance already contribute to the NHS through NI deductions, if you drive people from private to NHS the strain will put the NHS at breaking point.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 16:39 - May 8 with 4126 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 16:00 - May 8 by hype313

Indeed, anyone who thinks grabbing back the railways from franchises post brexit is a good idea, PR Wise, is in for a rude awakening.

As an example, the transport secretary a Brexiteer awarded the Greater Anglia Franchise to a Dutch nationalised rail company (now with Japanese support) the rolling stock will be built in Switzerland and is financed by the European (Brexit) investment bank (& you and other taxpayers) there is planty o scope in the FI to repatriate profits untaxed.
We really are taking back control.
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 16:54 - May 8 with 4114 viewsBlueBadger

Personally, I suspect that current Conservative party policy of 'wilfully underfund services for the disabled, vulnerable, ill and those requiring social care whilst also making it harder to train and recruit staff' will cause considerably more strain than the vanishingly small numbers of people who'll baulk 20p a month for a basic BUPA policy.
[Post edited 8 May 2017 16:58]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 16:55 - May 8 with 4105 viewschicoazul

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:50 - May 8 by hype313

Re-nationalise the railways? do you remember British Rail?

Not really as I am 42. But at least they wouldnt be providing a poor service and still making enormous profits for companies that are in part owned by foreign states. Abelio who run the East Anglia line are part owned by the Dutch government for instance.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 16:58 - May 8 with 4099 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:07 - May 8 by GeoffSentence

If it were me I would legislate to make it difficult to make a profit from railways, then pick up the franchises as the private companies dropped them.

When the East Coast franchisee chucked in te towel Andrew Adonis formed a not for profit rail Co on the lines of DB. It returned a lot of money to te Treasury.
What this Transport secretary did was to give Southern rail a taxpayer handout of £20mn just after SR annouced a £100 mn profit
It's ludicrous.
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:01 - May 8 with 4094 viewsGeoffSentence

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 16:58 - May 8 by No9

When the East Coast franchisee chucked in te towel Andrew Adonis formed a not for profit rail Co on the lines of DB. It returned a lot of money to te Treasury.
What this Transport secretary did was to give Southern rail a taxpayer handout of £20mn just after SR annouced a £100 mn profit
It's ludicrous.

It is ludicrous. As is the money from the public purse that goes in to the pockets of the foreign state owned rail companies that own most of our rail franchises. If we are going to put money into national rail companies, it might as well be our ownrather than the dutch, german and french ones.
[Post edited 8 May 2017 17:16]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:01 - May 8 with 4090 viewsBlueBadger

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 14:56 - May 8 by GlasgowBlue

All well and good but if just 5% of those who use private medical insurance lapse their policies and go NHS then the whole system will come tumbling down.

Is there a time limit of a medical professional working in the NHS before going over to private full time? If not then there should be some form of compensation from those professionals as they have been trained by the state.

Surely those Efficient Private Sector providers will just work even more efficiently to ensure that their customers don't have this minimal increase to their monthly policies passed on?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:09 - May 8 with 4072 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:01 - May 8 by GeoffSentence

It is ludicrous. As is the money from the public purse that goes in to the pockets of the foreign state owned rail companies that own most of our rail franchises. If we are going to put money into national rail companies, it might as well be our ownrather than the dutch, german and french ones.
[Post edited 8 May 2017 17:16]

Yep, & as the utilities go to foreign control even more taxpayer cash will be repatriated free of tax
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:09 - May 8 with 4073 viewsPinewoodblue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 16:55 - May 8 by chicoazul

Not really as I am 42. But at least they wouldnt be providing a poor service and still making enormous profits for companies that are in part owned by foreign states. Abelio who run the East Anglia line are part owned by the Dutch government for instance.

It is worse than that Abellio have sold on 40% to a Chinese, or was it Jspanese, company.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:09 - May 8 with 4073 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:01 - May 8 by BlueBadger

Surely those Efficient Private Sector providers will just work even more efficiently to ensure that their customers don't have this minimal increase to their monthly policies passed on?

You got knocked back by Nuffield didn't you? :-)

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:18 - May 8 with 4065 viewsWD19

There will be loads more of the same over coming weeks. With little/no chance of actually winning they have got a free shot at 'planning' populist nonsense knowing they will never have to properly think through and/or deliver on.

The fanboys will love it.
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:27 - May 8 with 4051 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:52 - May 8 by StokieBlue

You've missed the entire point of my post unfortunately.

Of course it's possible. Whether it's a sensible thing to do for a developed nation is something else together.

SB

But, do you really believe that in a modern country the taxpayer should take all the risk while the wealthy corporations pocket the profit and pay no tax?
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:28 - May 8 with 4049 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:09 - May 8 by Pinewoodblue

It is worse than that Abellio have sold on 40% to a Chinese, or was it Jspanese, company.

Japanese & te franchise agreement is a 750 page joke
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:31 - May 8 with 4045 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:01 - May 8 by Bluefish

Labour hate anyone not seen as in need and think it appeals to others to penalise them regardless of the implications. If baffles me why they can't grasp that low corporation tax can bring in more

OK look at the rates of corporation tax in the USA then tell me why they generate more business than the UK?
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:37 - May 8 with 4033 viewsBlueBadger

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:09 - May 8 by GlasgowBlue

You got knocked back by Nuffield didn't you? :-)

They told me I was overqualified for production line work :(

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 19:18 - May 8 with 3994 viewsStokieBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 17:27 - May 8 by No9

But, do you really believe that in a modern country the taxpayer should take all the risk while the wealthy corporations pocket the profit and pay no tax?

Where did I say anything of the sort?

Do people not read posts anymore and just post whatever political points they wish to make?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 21:57 - May 8 with 3947 viewsvapour_trail

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:39 - May 8 by GlasgowBlue

It's supposition at the moment which is why I'm putting it out there.

But if you already pay for a service, through taxation, that you don't use and you find the tax on your private health care almost doubled then surely that could be the difference between renewing or not next year.

A lot of people who take out private health care aren't multi millionaires. They are often small business owners or the self employed, already struggling to make a profit, who need quick treatment in order to get back to work asap.

Thanks. Good to clarify.

So if I pay, say 50 quid a month premium, to guarantee enhanced service should I require medical assistance, I'm already paying an additional 6 quid in tax on top, I might have to pay another 4 on top under the proposals outlined.

I'm not immediately bailing out. Especially if I'm heading back into the service you're describing.

Be good to see some analysis on the potential outcomes rather than supposition I think, before we take a view.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 22:11 - May 8 with 3922 viewsYaffle

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 14:56 - May 8 by GlasgowBlue

All well and good but if just 5% of those who use private medical insurance lapse their policies and go NHS then the whole system will come tumbling down.

Is there a time limit of a medical professional working in the NHS before going over to private full time? If not then there should be some form of compensation from those professionals as they have been trained by the state.

And if 10% of those in private education decide they can no longer afford to keep their children due to vat on fees, then labour would have to find 60,000 school places (about 130 new schools). What would the cost of that be...? Not everyone with kids in private education is some Eton toff!

Of course using the money to give all primary school kids free school meals (regardless of means testing) is ludicrous. The free school meals system works as is, it's an insane populist policy and is testing my loyalty to the limit....
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 22:48 - May 8 with 3891 viewsClapham_Junction

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 22:11 - May 8 by Yaffle

And if 10% of those in private education decide they can no longer afford to keep their children due to vat on fees, then labour would have to find 60,000 school places (about 130 new schools). What would the cost of that be...? Not everyone with kids in private education is some Eton toff!

Of course using the money to give all primary school kids free school meals (regardless of means testing) is ludicrous. The free school meals system works as is, it's an insane populist policy and is testing my loyalty to the limit....

I don't think it's insane. It's more cost effective to have as many kids as possible eating school meals because it brings the cost per meal down. There are also various health and educational benefits that kids will get from having a hot meal at lunchtime rather than a packed lunch.

We already have free school meals for all pupils up to 11 where I live in London, which the council funds itself.
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 23:58 - May 8 with 3840 viewsCoco

Bore off tory boy

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 00:52 - May 9 with 3827 viewsbournemouthblue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 16:00 - May 8 by hype313

Indeed, anyone who thinks grabbing back the railways from franchises post brexit is a good idea, PR Wise, is in for a rude awakening.

When it was originally suggested we were still in the EU

Who knows what post-Brexit Britain will be like, my fear is a hard right Tory shaped Brexit will move Britain to more American model of rule with an even smaller state and greedier profit chasing companies with fewer care for rights or ethics. It will to a huge power grab for the private sector, making even more money for the wealthy elite who off shore much of their assets, own our newspapers and banks etc. The one's who feel the growth whilst our wages stagnate.

That's not a Britain I want to live in and the danger of a hard Brexit is the winners get to shape Britain for the next 30 - 40 years. It's that big a political change for our country.

My fear is we'll open up our market to cheaper, inferior goods made in a less ethical manner and less care for safety for the workers and the consumer.

The EU is protectionist for EU goods with which our own goods themselves were also classified. We are leaving that club because we don't like immigrants from Eastern Europe flooding in too quickly. If of course immigration is the same or higher post-Brexit, the same people moaning about Poles will be moaning about Indians, Americans or the Chinese instead and we'll be back to square one.

It's a mess and we won't know the true consequences for around a decade imho.

(Late night rant on Brexit, fun times)
[Post edited 9 May 2017 0:54]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 07:40 - May 9 with 3779 viewssparks

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 22:48 - May 8 by Clapham_Junction

I don't think it's insane. It's more cost effective to have as many kids as possible eating school meals because it brings the cost per meal down. There are also various health and educational benefits that kids will get from having a hot meal at lunchtime rather than a packed lunch.

We already have free school meals for all pupils up to 11 where I live in London, which the council funds itself.

There are far more important things to spend on kids who need meals get them now. Do kids need two full hot meals a day? We are worried about obesity but now propose feeding them more.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 07:53 - May 9 with 3766 viewsWD19

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 07:40 - May 9 by sparks

There are far more important things to spend on kids who need meals get them now. Do kids need two full hot meals a day? We are worried about obesity but now propose feeding them more.

I genuinely can't tell if you are joking or not.....
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:13 - May 9 with 3753 viewsNo9

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 19:18 - May 8 by StokieBlue

Where did I say anything of the sort?

Do people not read posts anymore and just post whatever political points they wish to make?

SB

It was a question
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:13 - May 9 with 3753 viewssparks

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 07:53 - May 9 by WD19

I genuinely can't tell if you are joking or not.....

Elaborate. I don't eat two full hot meals a day. Why pay for kids from families who can afford decent ecenibg meals to do so when there is so much else to spend on?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 08:14 - May 9 with 3748 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 00:52 - May 9 by bournemouthblue

When it was originally suggested we were still in the EU

Who knows what post-Brexit Britain will be like, my fear is a hard right Tory shaped Brexit will move Britain to more American model of rule with an even smaller state and greedier profit chasing companies with fewer care for rights or ethics. It will to a huge power grab for the private sector, making even more money for the wealthy elite who off shore much of their assets, own our newspapers and banks etc. The one's who feel the growth whilst our wages stagnate.

That's not a Britain I want to live in and the danger of a hard Brexit is the winners get to shape Britain for the next 30 - 40 years. It's that big a political change for our country.

My fear is we'll open up our market to cheaper, inferior goods made in a less ethical manner and less care for safety for the workers and the consumer.

The EU is protectionist for EU goods with which our own goods themselves were also classified. We are leaving that club because we don't like immigrants from Eastern Europe flooding in too quickly. If of course immigration is the same or higher post-Brexit, the same people moaning about Poles will be moaning about Indians, Americans or the Chinese instead and we'll be back to square one.

It's a mess and we won't know the true consequences for around a decade imho.

(Late night rant on Brexit, fun times)
[Post edited 9 May 2017 0:54]

Maybe TTIP isn't dead after all !

Edit ....vote May/Tory,vote TTIP Brexit....should be Labour's angle although the Blair luvvies would probably fancy the TTIP version too.
[Post edited 9 May 2017 8:27]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024