Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? 16:04 - Jun 13 with 9083 viewsDarth_Koont

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-40259209

Giving a platform for these anti-scientific loons is tantamount to hate speech in my opinion, as it's deeply disrespectful to human values let alone to the victims and their families of such events.

I know it's part of the whole First Amendment, free speech thing in the US but isn't it about time that we protected the truth or at least the desire to establish the truth against wild opinion? These types of opinion aren't facts or even alternative facts but somehow are given airtime and legitimacy as if they are the other side of the argument and the truth lies somewhere in between.

We seem to have been suckered ourselves by a fabricated reality over the last few years (Brexit claims most notably), and it's surprising that there's no real desire to censure it.

Pronouns: He/Him

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:13 - Jun 13 with 5172 viewsJ2BLUE

No, it should be down to common sense. I haven't listened to Alex Jones for years and yet I knew his views on Sandy Hook etc. NBC also knew his views but decided to give him the platform. It's their problem IMO.

I hate it when people suggest we censor people. Instead Jones should be allowed to say whatever he wants on whatever platform he is given. The rest of us can then call him an idiot but we shouldn't try and shut him down IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:20 - Jun 13 with 5156 viewsDarth_Koont

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:13 - Jun 13 by J2BLUE

No, it should be down to common sense. I haven't listened to Alex Jones for years and yet I knew his views on Sandy Hook etc. NBC also knew his views but decided to give him the platform. It's their problem IMO.

I hate it when people suggest we censor people. Instead Jones should be allowed to say whatever he wants on whatever platform he is given. The rest of us can then call him an idiot but we shouldn't try and shut him down IMO.

I think you're underestimating how much the prejudicial, ill-informed view has been allowed to infect common sense and dominate the debate.

There are plenty of regulations and laws in other areas (advertising, libel, slander, hate speech, discrimination, harassment) that you could also argue the "common sense" angle. But luckily we understand that there needs to be protection for innocent victims and repercussions for those who transgress.

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:21 - Jun 13 with 5152 viewsblue_oyster

The whole concept of 'hate speech' is wrong. It's just a mechanism designed to suppress the views of people who don't agree with you. Favoured by tyrants everywhere.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:22 - Jun 13 with 5144 viewsDarth_Koont

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:21 - Jun 13 by blue_oyster

The whole concept of 'hate speech' is wrong. It's just a mechanism designed to suppress the views of people who don't agree with you. Favoured by tyrants everywhere.

So nothing to do with protecting victims of hate and related crimes?

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:23 - Jun 13 with 5135 viewsblue_oyster

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:22 - Jun 13 by Darth_Koont

So nothing to do with protecting victims of hate and related crimes?

It's someone is a victim of a crime, then enforce the law.

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:24 - Jun 13 with 5128 viewsDarth_Koont

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:23 - Jun 13 by blue_oyster

Yes. What's your point?

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:26 - Jun 13 with 5117 viewsblue_oyster

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:24 - Jun 13 by Darth_Koont

Yes. What's your point?

There's no need to invent 'hate speech'.

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:27 - Jun 13 with 5110 viewsDarth_Koont

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:26 - Jun 13 by blue_oyster

There's no need to invent 'hate speech'.

I didn't invent it. Hate speech is a crime already.

Login to get fewer ads

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:32 - Jun 13 with 5095 viewsJ2BLUE

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:20 - Jun 13 by Darth_Koont

I think you're underestimating how much the prejudicial, ill-informed view has been allowed to infect common sense and dominate the debate.

There are plenty of regulations and laws in other areas (advertising, libel, slander, hate speech, discrimination, harassment) that you could also argue the "common sense" angle. But luckily we understand that there needs to be protection for innocent victims and repercussions for those who transgress.

Trying to block, ban or censor conspiracy theories would be like choosing to fight fire with petrol.

It would give them legitimacy and since their entire angle is about cover ups it would give them 'proof' that they know something 'they' don't want to get out.

A much better thing to do would be to become pro truth. Defeat the arguments with logic, common sense intelligence.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:32 - Jun 13 with 5094 viewsblue_oyster

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:27 - Jun 13 by Darth_Koont

I didn't invent it. Hate speech is a crime already.

I know, sweetheart. But somebody else did. Which I think was wrong. So now the state can prosecute people they disagree with. Lovely, isn't it. Let's hope they don't disagree with you, eh?

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:09 - Jun 13 with 5022 viewsDarth_Koont

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:32 - Jun 13 by blue_oyster

I know, sweetheart. But somebody else did. Which I think was wrong. So now the state can prosecute people they disagree with. Lovely, isn't it. Let's hope they don't disagree with you, eh?

"So now the state can prosecute people they disagree with."

You're being very silly.

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:13 - Jun 13 with 5013 viewsDarth_Koont

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:32 - Jun 13 by J2BLUE

Trying to block, ban or censor conspiracy theories would be like choosing to fight fire with petrol.

It would give them legitimacy and since their entire angle is about cover ups it would give them 'proof' that they know something 'they' don't want to get out.

A much better thing to do would be to become pro truth. Defeat the arguments with logic, common sense intelligence.

But logic and common sense intelligence isn't as sexy, in fact it's pretty boring 99% of the time. So it's nothing like a fair fight.

How exactly do you become "pro-truth"?

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:16 - Jun 13 with 5006 viewsfactual_blue

'Defeat the arguments with logic, common sense intelligence.'

Ah, that would be what they would want you to do.

Whoever they are.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:24 - Jun 13 with 5003 viewsmonytowbray

I had to remove someone on FB for peddling his cr*p, often jumping into political discussion on my posts using those very sources to "debunk" my opinions.

He genuinely believes the world is ran by a secret satanic paedo ring and pizza gate is a thing. You point out his evidence is so full of holes it's not even worth discussing but his response was always something along the lines of being a sheeple and believing the mainstream media lies.

This seems to be a very modern problem; making your own mind up in your head and then seeking evidence to validate it rather than letting evidence influence your opinion to begin with. I have no idea how someone can look at years of professional scientific research/photographs/videos and reject it for a FB page written by some conspiracy loon claiming the earth is flat. For a start, what actual benefit is it to anyone if people believe the world is a different shape, and why would nations bump billions into such a thing? For a massive f*cking laugh maybe?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:29 - Jun 13 with 4982 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not so long ago the idea that our friends in the Middle East, Saudi Arabia and Qatar, funded terrorism was a conspiracy theory.

The idea that the Clinton Foundation received huge donations from these evil head choppers was also a conspiracy theory.

The idea the British Government was harbouring members of the Libyan terrorist group LIFG in Manchester was a conspiracy until very very recently when one of them was named as the supposed Manchester Arena bomber.

Who are you going to trust when it comes identifying what is or is not a conspiracy theory?
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 17:46]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:31 - Jun 13 with 4981 viewsBlueBadger

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:23 - Jun 13 by blue_oyster

So let me get this straight, people peddling inflammatory stuff that is designed to incite trouble should be prosecuted, but it shouldn't be a crime?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:32 - Jun 13 with 4967 viewsBlueBadger

People tried that one with you last June and you complained about 'propaganda'....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:36 - Jun 13 with 4946 viewsBlueBadger

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 16:21 - Jun 13 by blue_oyster

Ionically enough, Alex Jones' views are probably endorsed by Donald Trump..

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:52 - Jun 13 with 4915 viewsBlueBadger

Talking b0llocks should only be a criminal offence if you're actively trying to incite hatred. Otherwise, not. Although there's a case to be made for easier access to legal redress for those affected by libellous and slanderous comments.

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:56 - Jun 13 with 4900 viewsGlasgowBlue

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:24 - Jun 13 by monytowbray

I had to remove someone on FB for peddling his cr*p, often jumping into political discussion on my posts using those very sources to "debunk" my opinions.

He genuinely believes the world is ran by a secret satanic paedo ring and pizza gate is a thing. You point out his evidence is so full of holes it's not even worth discussing but his response was always something along the lines of being a sheeple and believing the mainstream media lies.

This seems to be a very modern problem; making your own mind up in your head and then seeking evidence to validate it rather than letting evidence influence your opinion to begin with. I have no idea how someone can look at years of professional scientific research/photographs/videos and reject it for a FB page written by some conspiracy loon claiming the earth is flat. For a start, what actual benefit is it to anyone if people believe the world is a different shape, and why would nations bump billions into such a thing? For a massive f*cking laugh maybe?

You have Pazelle as an FB friend?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:57 - Jun 13 with 4907 viewschicoazul

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:29 - Jun 13 by caught-in-limbo

Not so long ago the idea that our friends in the Middle East, Saudi Arabia and Qatar, funded terrorism was a conspiracy theory.

The idea that the Clinton Foundation received huge donations from these evil head choppers was also a conspiracy theory.

The idea the British Government was harbouring members of the Libyan terrorist group LIFG in Manchester was a conspiracy until very very recently when one of them was named as the supposed Manchester Arena bomber.

Who are you going to trust when it comes identifying what is or is not a conspiracy theory?
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 17:46]

I cant speak for anyone else here but I find all your alleged "conspiracy theory" arguments incredibly convincing and in no way offensive or idiotic.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 18:09 - Jun 13 with 4888 viewsblue_oyster

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:31 - Jun 13 by BlueBadger

So let me get this straight, people peddling inflammatory stuff that is designed to incite trouble should be prosecuted, but it shouldn't be a crime?

You do need to get it straight. They shouldn't be prosecuted for 'hate speech' (whatever that is).

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 18:13 - Jun 13 with 4879 viewsBlueBadger

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 18:09 - Jun 13 by blue_oyster

You do need to get it straight. They shouldn't be prosecuted for 'hate speech' (whatever that is).

Because life would be so much nicer if hateful dickheads were allowed to incite other hateful dickheads consequence free?

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 18:22 - Jun 13 with 4858 viewsfooters

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 17:57 - Jun 13 by chicoazul

I cant speak for anyone else here but I find all your alleged "conspiracy theory" arguments incredibly convincing and in no way offensive or idiotic.

Never quite sure what to make of you Chico! I agree with what you say anyway (if you're not being sarcastic, that is).

Questioning received wisdom is a vital part of democracy/society generally, and I find CIL's arguments much more interesting and important than a lot of what I read.

Throughout history the powers that be have peddled half-truths and lies to cover up what's really going on. Not sure why people think anything has changed.

'Nothing is true; everything is permitted.'

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 18:28 - Jun 13 with 4842 viewsblue_oyster

Should conspiracy-peddling qualify as hate speech? on 18:13 - Jun 13 by BlueBadger

Because life would be so much nicer if hateful dickheads were allowed to incite other hateful dickheads consequence free?

Dickheads according to whom?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024