Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy 13:18 - Jun 18 with 12077 viewsSWGF

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/managerless-sunderla

Interesting that his name was mentioned before McInnes was looked into.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 13:20]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 20:21 - Jun 18 with 3441 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 20:16 - Jun 18 by chicoazul

so what does that say about his ability to identify a good cheap player? I looks like we have to sign close to 50 players to find one Mings.

That's still a bargain

50 players for 1 mings = 10k into 8m

It's not just mings though. The players I just listed were all free or cheap

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 20:35 - Jun 18 with 3418 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 16:54 - Jun 18 by JimmyJazz

How does Stewart make your list?

Because he no doubt represented a decent investment by our standards, in terms of wages

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 20:42 - Jun 18 with 3409 viewsMullet

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 15:01 - Jun 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Wouldn't go that far but these are the players I'd say represented decent investments*, from those listed above:

Skuse, Berra, McGoldrick, Murphy, Williams, Sears, Bialkowski, Stewart, Fraser, Pitman, AMN, Douglas, Knudsen, Lawrence, Webster, Ward, Garner

Not a bad hit rate really

*clearly subjective, others views may differ

Tabb, SHunt, Mings, all have to be included due to the impact they had too.

Likewise not sure we can include Garner at any rate yet.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 20:48 - Jun 18 with 3388 viewsMullet

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 20:35 - Jun 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Because he no doubt represented a decent investment by our standards, in terms of wages

I've just seen what you meant now by "decent investment" apologies.

Likewise the lack of context for Mick's signings is weird. The first two years he went from not having his own squad chocked full of loanees and misfits and dragged them along, replacing one man at a time.

To criticise that is baffling.

The more damning issue is when we lost so many injured players for the last two seasons running and seemed to take one, punt, one loan every few months to even try to bridge each gap made.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 20:51 - Jun 18 with 3376 viewsbluesimon

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 20:09 - Jun 18 by chicoazul

The funny thing is that many many of those players barely played more than a dozen games. Seems to me that Mick's policy has been punts thanks to his budget.

It's quite sad how many players we have signed over this time and how many have actually made an impact.

I do wonder how many cheap punts it takes to fund a decent player though. But i do accept, that the squad has been thin on the ground, but this is partly due to the cheap punts not being and good and them being released year on year, so we need more cheap punts to fill the wholes left by the previous cheap punts.

I'd rather we sign a decent player on a 3 year deal, than 5 cheap punts on a one year deal.
Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 22:27 - Jun 18 with 3327 viewsclive_baker

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 20:13 - Jun 18 by The_Romford_Blue

What do you expect when the majority are cheap punts or complete unknowns

His recruitment here has been excellent on the whole.

Ward, Webster, Mings, Didz, Berra, Chambo, Sears, Bart and Skuse for a combined 2m

Plus loans of Fraser, Lawrence and Huws

He didn't sign Chambers, PJ did.

And it's a stretch to say 'on the whole' when max 10-15 have proved very good signings out of 76.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 22:44 - Jun 18 with 3319 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 22:27 - Jun 18 by clive_baker

He didn't sign Chambers, PJ did.

And it's a stretch to say 'on the whole' when max 10-15 have proved very good signings out of 76.

But that's a good strike rate for the tiny money spent

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 23:48 - Jun 18 with 3285 viewsTheBlueBarca

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 13:43 - Jun 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

As per my thread the other day, I'm not sure that's fair

McCarthy has clearly been operating on a restricted budget, and as such has been forced into signing lots of cheap, available squad filler-type players. Unsurprisingly, a lot of these have been fairly rubbish

When spending what you presume is a decent chunk of our budget on players (either fees or wages), his signings have generally been successful, bar a couple of exceptions (Douglas, Stewart etc)
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 13:43]

"his signings have generally been successful"

We were nearly relegated this season with a team, bar Tommy Smith and Luke Chambers, was entirely signed by him. We were 4 points off relegation.

I would say that, given the the club he's managing, to finish just 4 points off relegation was as far from "generally successfully" as you can get without actually getting relegated. Budget or not, his recruitment the last two seasons has been shambolic and it's not looking any better for the new season really.

As for those "couple" of exceptions, you're forgetting the 50 others with those that I won't care to name in full because you know exactly who they are, as does everyone else.

They make Douglas look like Pele some of them too.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 23:51]

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

Login to get fewer ads

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 06:07 - Jun 19 with 3239 viewsNo9

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 13:43 - Jun 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

As per my thread the other day, I'm not sure that's fair

McCarthy has clearly been operating on a restricted budget, and as such has been forced into signing lots of cheap, available squad filler-type players. Unsurprisingly, a lot of these have been fairly rubbish

When spending what you presume is a decent chunk of our budget on players (either fees or wages), his signings have generally been successful, bar a couple of exceptions (Douglas, Stewart etc)
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 13:43]

But how much has signing these lesser palyers added to the wage bill ?
Accordong to the money man the four signings in the January window added a £ million so all the others will have cost a few quid = wasted money is nt efficient
Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 08:29 - Jun 19 with 3192 viewspeterleeblue

Unfortunately the Chronicle is a North East paper that is very Newcastle United centric. This is probably a bit of wind up / trolling to keep the football juices flowing amongst NE football followers. Also by and large MM is not held in great regard here so would not be too welcome back.
Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 09:31 - Jun 19 with 3157 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 23:48 - Jun 18 by TheBlueBarca

"his signings have generally been successful"

We were nearly relegated this season with a team, bar Tommy Smith and Luke Chambers, was entirely signed by him. We were 4 points off relegation.

I would say that, given the the club he's managing, to finish just 4 points off relegation was as far from "generally successfully" as you can get without actually getting relegated. Budget or not, his recruitment the last two seasons has been shambolic and it's not looking any better for the new season really.

As for those "couple" of exceptions, you're forgetting the 50 others with those that I won't care to name in full because you know exactly who they are, as does everyone else.

They make Douglas look like Pele some of them too.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 23:51]

"we were nearly relegated this season"
We weren't, we finished 16th, and spent zero weeks in the relegation zone

"given the club he's managing"
One with a budget in the lower third of the league?

"his recruitment the last two seasons has been shambolic"
It hasn't - players brought in during that time include Fraser, AMN, Pitman, Knudsen, Webster, Ward, Lawrence, Huws and Spence. I would agree it hasn't been as successful as the seasons prior but that's about it

"it's not looking any better for the new season really"
Hang on wait, what?? The transfer window isn't even open yet and we've signed 2 players already with a third pretty much done, what more do you want? This is the point where it becomes obvious that your point is basically 'boo everything Mick'

"you're forgetting 50 others"
I didn't forget them, it was a list of players signed that in my view would have represented a decent chunk of our budget. The others were punts/freebies/best available options to pad out the squad in my view, from which little would be expected. I would suggest this says more about our budget than anything else

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 09:42 - Jun 19 with 3152 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 06:07 - Jun 19 by No9

But how much has signing these lesser palyers added to the wage bill ?
Accordong to the money man the four signings in the January window added a £ million so all the others will have cost a few quid = wasted money is nt efficient

I have no idea which 4 players that is, seeing as we signed 6 players in January

Given there were approx 23 weeks between Jan and the end of the season, the players signed (Moore, Spence, Diagouraga, Huws, Taylor and Rowe) would have been averaging £7k+ a week

In summary - no chance

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 09:49 - Jun 19 with 3143 viewsitfcjoe

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 09:42 - Jun 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I have no idea which 4 players that is, seeing as we signed 6 players in January

Given there were approx 23 weeks between Jan and the end of the season, the players signed (Moore, Spence, Diagouraga, Huws, Taylor and Rowe) would have been averaging £7k+ a week

In summary - no chance

There was also Samuel so 7 signings.

And ultimately, a million pound investment to ensure we didn't get dragged into a relegation fight is a good move.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 09:56 - Jun 19 with 3131 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 09:49 - Jun 19 by itfcjoe

There was also Samuel so 7 signings.

And ultimately, a million pound investment to ensure we didn't get dragged into a relegation fight is a good move.

Ah, forgot Samuel

Wages-wise that would still average over £6k, which seems very unlikely given Moore and Rowe would be on sod all and Spence presumably very cheap too. If it includes loan fees then maybe possible - but more likely Milne is using some artistic licence there I'd say!

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 10:05 - Jun 19 with 3104 viewsitfcjoe

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 09:56 - Jun 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Ah, forgot Samuel

Wages-wise that would still average over £6k, which seems very unlikely given Moore and Rowe would be on sod all and Spence presumably very cheap too. If it includes loan fees then maybe possible - but more likely Milne is using some artistic licence there I'd say!

Rowe was about £100k signing too - probably about right all things considered, money just doesn't go very far in football!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 12:28 - Jun 19 with 3036 viewsLightningboy

Local Sunderland newspaper calling for McCarthy on 13:53 - Jun 18 by clive_baker

2012/13

Reece Brown
Tyrone Barnett
Aaron Mclean
Patrick Kisnorbo
Richard Stearman
Kelly Youga
Anthony Wordsworth
Bradley Orr
Frank Nouble

2013/2014

Paul Anderson
Jordan Graham
Paul Green
Sylvain Ebanks-Blake
Jay Tabb
Stephen Hunt
Ryan Tunnicliffe
Jack Doherty
Cole Skuse
Christophe Berra
Alan Lee
David McGoldrick
Daryl Murphy
Freddie Veseli
Frazer Richardson
Dean Gerken

2014/15

Kevin Bru
Jonny Williams
Jack Collison
Luke Varney
Zeki Fryers
Freddie Sears
Sean St Ledger
Richard Chaplow
Paddy Kenny
Noel Hunt
Jonathan Parr
Bartosz Bialkowski
Balint Bajner
Adam McDonnell
Dylan Connolly
Cameron Stewart
Alex Henshall
Chris Wood
Darren McQueen
Darren Ambrose
Conor Sammon

2015/16

Liam Feeney
Larsen Toure
Piotr Malarczyk
Tommy Oar
Josh Yorwerth
Tyrone Mings
Ryan Fraser
Kevin Foley
Brett Pitman
Ainsley Maitland-Niles
Jonathan Henly
Giles Coke
Ben Pringle
Jonathan Douglas
James Alabi
Jonas Knudsen

2016/17

Leon Best
Steven Taylor
Paul Digby
Tom Lawrence
Kieffer Moore
Toumani Diagouraga
Danny Rowe
Conor Grant
Adam Webster
Dominic Samuel
Emyr Huws
Grant Ward
Jordan Spence
Joe Garner

78 signings..i'd say at least 42 of those have been total flops..imho only 13 or 14 great successes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024