Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So I scrapped my TV license 21:30 - Jul 6 with 18888 viewswkj

I do not use Iplayer, but i do use Amazon Prime Video and Netflix as im finding the quality of those shows much better than most syndicated programs. I do not regret this decision at all, though do the TV License people ever stop hounding you?

I have called them up and told them clearly im not using BBC's online service, nor do i have any kind of non-internet related connections to my tv, so I do not wish for one - yet i still keep getting reminder letters that I have not got one- it is quite harassing now

EDIT: Just for clarity I am not trying to stage an anti license coup, I simply am not paying for a service I do not currently use
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 10:14]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

So I scrapped my TV license on 09:52 - Jul 7 with 6133 viewsblue_oyster

So I scrapped my TV license on 09:09 - Jul 7 by wkj

I don't know if the rule shave changed over recent times, but the TV License website doesnt say, if you own a tv, you need a license- only if you use your TV (or other devices) for the recording or watching of broadcasted television - not simply for owning a TV.

In the day if you had a TV you'd be using it for watching Telly, but now a days with gaming consoles and internet access, its not as clear cut as all that.

" Is a TV Licence required to own a television set?
You don’t need a TV Licence to own or possess a television set. However, if you use it to watch or record programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer, then you need a TV Licence in order to do so."

Source - http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 9:12]

The excerpt I quoted was from the TV licensing website. You just haven't read it.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

So I scrapped my TV license on 09:52 - Jul 7 with 6131 viewsBergholtBru

on 09:33 - Jul 7 by _

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

on 10:01 - Jul 7 with 6120 views_

So I scrapped my TV license on 09:52 - Jul 7 by BergholtBru

So I scrapped my TV license on 10:03 - Jul 7 with 6119 viewswkj

So I scrapped my TV license on 09:52 - Jul 7 by blue_oyster

The excerpt I quoted was from the TV licensing website. You just haven't read it.

Hmm well if the TV License website says both that
-You can be prosecuted for owning a TV and not having a license
and
-You dont need a TV license for owning a TV

It adds further fuel to the fire about how messy and unclear the system is

(FYI I did just read what you quoted, but you chose a very small part of a much broader dialogue)

[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 10:07]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

So I scrapped my TV license on 10:04 - Jul 7 with 6114 viewsMarcFowler

I've not had a license for probably 5+ years now. I only watch non-live things online as well. I like the BBC but I physically can't receive TV channels - I don't have Freeview or Sky or anything, the only thing connected to my tv is my Mac and my PS4! - so I can't be paying that! Cut the cord buddy, and don't forget that YouTube is great.

Marc Fowler

So I scrapped my TV license on 10:11 - Jul 7 with 6090 viewsBergholtBru

on 10:01 - Jul 7 by _

Perhaps I should have said "I think the license fee should be scrapped". I watch very little BBC. Mostly I watch sport, for which I pay a fee to Sky and Racing UK. I watch the occassional science & nature doc. on BBC but would be happy to forego these.
So why be forced to pay for something you don`t use. I know this arguement has been had many times before. I think it`s only a matter of time before somebody mounts a legal challenge against compulsory licence fees tbh.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

So I scrapped my TV license on 10:14 - Jul 7 with 6086 viewsTJS

So I scrapped my TV license on 23:28 - Jul 6 by StNeotsBlue

I really don't understand some people's hostility towards to the BBC and the licence fee it's the best £15 I spend every month. The quality of the dramas, the news and the radio is fantastic.

Totally agree - I have no problem with the licence fee.
The BBC and to a certain extent Channel 4 produce a lot of quality programmes that would never get produced by fully commercial companies irrespective of whether you watch them live or not.
So I scrapped my TV license on 12:15 - Jul 7 with 6041 viewsBent_double

So I scrapped my TV license on 10:14 - Jul 7 by TJS

Totally agree - I have no problem with the licence fee.
The BBC and to a certain extent Channel 4 produce a lot of quality programmes that would never get produced by fully commercial companies irrespective of whether you watch them live or not.

Same here, infact I was surprised - and happy - when I found out that a single license covers me for all the TVs in my guesthouse. Not bad for £140-odd a year.

Mind you, the PRS are always hassling me saying I need a license for some reason (something to do with royalties for 'jingles' - even on the BBC), and now another company are claiming that due to a recent change in copyright laws, I need to be licensed by them if we have even one TV in a 'communal' area that shows live TV.

So it's fine when a guest is sitting in their room watching breakfast TV, but the minute they come down to breakfast and do the same, I need to pay a different license fee...bizarre.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Login to get fewer ads

So I scrapped my TV license on 12:20 - Jul 7 with 6035 viewshype313

So I scrapped my TV license on 22:52 - Jul 6 by itfcinwales

I think in 10 or 15 years time all telly will be online based on demand streaming based loike Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I cant really remeber the last time that i watched live telly that wasnt trash telly like road wars or something like that

10 -15 years? try within the next 18 months.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So I scrapped my TV license on 12:31 - Jul 7 with 6020 viewschicoazul

So I scrapped my TV license on 23:49 - Jul 6 by blue_oyster

If you own a TV, you're breaking the law if you don't have a TV licence.

Wrong.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So I scrapped my TV license on 12:32 - Jul 7 with 6017 viewsblue_oyster

So I scrapped my TV license on 10:03 - Jul 7 by wkj

Hmm well if the TV License website says both that
-You can be prosecuted for owning a TV and not having a license
and
-You dont need a TV license for owning a TV

It adds further fuel to the fire about how messy and unclear the system is

(FYI I did just read what you quoted, but you chose a very small part of a much broader dialogue)

[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 10:07]

Where does it say you dont need a TV license for owning a TV?

So I scrapped my TV license on 12:35 - Jul 7 with 6014 viewschicoazul

So I scrapped my TV license on 12:20 - Jul 7 by hype313

10 -15 years? try within the next 18 months.

His timeline is more realistic than yours. There isnt the fibre capacity for everyone in the UK to have streamed-only TV; lots of people dont have the internet; most people 55+ arent interested in streaming and like to watch 'normal' TV.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So I scrapped my TV license on 13:37 - Jul 7 with 5972 viewsJ2BLUE

I've seen several similar threads on MSE and i'm not sure why people bother to be honest. It's peanuts. I understand the principle but is it really worth the hassle for the saving?

Do you really not use any service the BBC has to offer? The coverage of the Olympic games is worth the fee alone as is their website.

Not having a go BTW, just wondered if it's worth the battle?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So I scrapped my TV license on 13:53 - Jul 7 with 5961 viewsolimar

So I scrapped my TV license on 21:42 - Jul 6 by factual_blue

Within a couple of years you'll be unable to watch iplayer without a tv licence. They'll tie up the (currently free) BBC ID they keep pushing to a tv licence.

The only reason I can think that they have avoided going down this route already is that it will create a clear choice- if someone wants BBC, they pay £100+ per year sub, if they dont, they just opt out- and the BBC will see its number fall dramatically.

I think there would be a good market for an ex-pat license too, at a premium monthly cost.
So I scrapped my TV license on 14:38 - Jul 7 with 5938 viewsWeWereZombies

Couldn't really let this thread go on without this, could we?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

So I scrapped my TV license on 14:47 - Jul 7 with 5929 viewshype313

So I scrapped my TV license on 12:35 - Jul 7 by chicoazul

His timeline is more realistic than yours. There isnt the fibre capacity for everyone in the UK to have streamed-only TV; lots of people dont have the internet; most people 55+ arent interested in streaming and like to watch 'normal' TV.

When you talk about demographics then yes, but a large majority of people (in towns and cities) who have access to fibre are already watching far more shows on demand.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So I scrapped my TV license on 15:04 - Jul 7 with 5917 viewsHarry_Palmer

So I scrapped my TV license on 12:32 - Jul 7 by blue_oyster

Where does it say you dont need a TV license for owning a TV?

You don't need a license to have a TV, I have had the conversation with them and it was confirmed.

I might have a TV that I am not using and has been in the loft for 3 years, I still own the TV, but do I need a license? Of course not.

If your TV is not set up to receive live broadcasts and is only being used for gaming or DVDs it is also not illegal.

Their harassment team like to pretend the onus is on you to prove you are not using the TV illegally but in actual fact its on them to prove you are. This is why they schedule their little visits to try and catch people out if the intimidating warning letters don't work.

Prosecutions only happen if they gain access to a property and are able to prove that the set is in use for live broadcasts or they intimidate you into admitting it.

You don't even have to open the door to them either if you don't wish, they cannot legally gain access to your property without your permission or a warrant. They can be granted a warrant but only if they are able to provide evidence that suggests the owner of the property is breaking the law.

Hope this helps.
So I scrapped my TV license on 15:27 - Jul 7 with 5903 viewsblue_oyster

So I scrapped my TV license on 15:04 - Jul 7 by Harry_Palmer

You don't need a license to have a TV, I have had the conversation with them and it was confirmed.

I might have a TV that I am not using and has been in the loft for 3 years, I still own the TV, but do I need a license? Of course not.

If your TV is not set up to receive live broadcasts and is only being used for gaming or DVDs it is also not illegal.

Their harassment team like to pretend the onus is on you to prove you are not using the TV illegally but in actual fact its on them to prove you are. This is why they schedule their little visits to try and catch people out if the intimidating warning letters don't work.

Prosecutions only happen if they gain access to a property and are able to prove that the set is in use for live broadcasts or they intimidate you into admitting it.

You don't even have to open the door to them either if you don't wish, they cannot legally gain access to your property without your permission or a warrant. They can be granted a warrant but only if they are able to provide evidence that suggests the owner of the property is breaking the law.

Hope this helps.

I was merely quoting the law, which says that you do.

So I scrapped my TV license on 15:53 - Jul 7 with 5885 viewsHarry_Palmer

So I scrapped my TV license on 15:27 - Jul 7 by blue_oyster

I was merely quoting the law, which says that you do.

Blimey you are hard work. From the horse's mouth....

Do I need a TV Licence if I only use my TV for gaming or DVDs?

No. You don’t need a TV Licence if you only use your TV for gaming or DVDs. That’s as long as you never watch or record live TV on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This applies to any device or provider you use.

Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to use or install TV receiving equipment to:
watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, including programmes streamed over the internet and satellite programmes from outside the UK, or
watch or download BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer without being covered by a TV Licence.
So I scrapped my TV license on 16:50 - Jul 7 with 5858 viewsblue_oyster

So I scrapped my TV license on 15:53 - Jul 7 by Harry_Palmer

Blimey you are hard work. From the horse's mouth....

Do I need a TV Licence if I only use my TV for gaming or DVDs?

No. You don’t need a TV Licence if you only use your TV for gaming or DVDs. That’s as long as you never watch or record live TV on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This applies to any device or provider you use.

Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to use or install TV receiving equipment to:
watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, including programmes streamed over the internet and satellite programmes from outside the UK, or
watch or download BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer without being covered by a TV Licence.

Why argue with me? What you say contradicts the documented law (the bit you missed off your last post).

So I scrapped my TV license on 16:53 - Jul 7 with 5855 viewsWeWereZombies

So I scrapped my TV license on 16:50 - Jul 7 by blue_oyster

Why argue with me? What you say contradicts the documented law (the bit you missed off your last post).

Except that HarryPalmer quoted an act of parliament and you referenced what somebody posted from the BBC website. I think Harry is the one to trust on this.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

So I scrapped my TV license on 17:15 - Jul 7 with 5831 viewsblue_oyster

So I scrapped my TV license on 16:53 - Jul 7 by WeWereZombies

Except that HarryPalmer quoted an act of parliament and you referenced what somebody posted from the BBC website. I think Harry is the one to trust on this.

Indeed, but unfortunately his 'Act of Parliament' made no reference to the owning of TVs and the possible penalties, so therefore no help in the discussion. I referenced the official Tv licencing site, not the BBC website.

So I scrapped my TV license on 17:45 - Jul 7 with 5817 viewsHarry_Palmer

So I scrapped my TV license on 16:50 - Jul 7 by blue_oyster

Its in black and white on the TV licencing website, you can use a TV for gaming and DVDs without a licence.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ15

You said and I quote - 'If you own a TV, you're breaking the law if you don't have a TV licence'.

Quite clearly you are wrong and you are now making yourself look a bit silly.
So I scrapped my TV license on 18:54 - Jul 7 with 5803 viewsblue_oyster

So I scrapped my TV license on 17:45 - Jul 7 by Harry_Palmer

Its in black and white on the TV licencing website, you can use a TV for gaming and DVDs without a licence.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ15

You said and I quote - 'If you own a TV, you're breaking the law if you don't have a TV licence'.

Quite clearly you are wrong and you are now making yourself look a bit silly.

I was simply quoting the Tv licensing website, which contradicts what you have just posted. I've made this quite clear. Why do you think the opening poster is getting hounded?
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 19:00]

So I scrapped my TV license on 20:18 - Jul 7 with 5764 viewsHarry_Palmer

So I scrapped my TV license on 18:54 - Jul 7 by blue_oyster

I was simply quoting the Tv licensing website, which contradicts what you have just posted. I've made this quite clear. Why do you think the opening poster is getting hounded?
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 19:00]

The OP is getting hounded because they are incompetent as many others on this thread have alluded to.

I have posted full passages from the licencing website and a direct link that prove you 100% wrong.

You have claimed that there is a law which forbids the owning of a TV without a licence, please provide a link to this law or accept you were wrong.

I'm going to give you a little tip here, you wont be able to because no such law exists.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024