Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this racist? 10:50 - Jul 20 with 22170 viewsDolly2.0

A mate of mine is black and we joke around a lot, often about stuff that's close to the knuckle (for example he jokes about when he doesn't want to do something he's going to 'black me up' and send me instead).

The other day I made a joke (he wasn't around at the time). We were talking about Black Friday and I said "is that when X (my mate) goes shopping?"

Is that racist?

The people I said it to were sort of 'mock' offended and one told my mate (again in a 'mock grassing me up' way). He seemed to laugh it off but I got the impression maybe I went a bit far this time.

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking. He seems fine since.

I might be a bit old fashioned but I tend to think if something isn't said with malice and doesn't actually denigrate someone because of their race, then it's not racist. Am I right or out of touch?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Is this racist? on 11:51 - Jul 20 with 2129 viewsSE1blue

For me it's not, as others have said it depends on your audience. I wouldn't have said it without said mate being present as he's the one the jokes about etc. but those offended are usually those that shouldn't be listening.

I read recently about a couple who walked out of a Ricky Gervais comedy night as he made a joke about a dead baby. Tasteless and tacky it is, but aren't you pretty much exposing yourself to any kind of 'humour' when seeing a stand up?

I'm not a huge fan of Gervais (loved the Office etc but feel he's tired now) but his audience was his audience and they chose to go. Equally, a fuss shouldn't be made about them walking out though as it was their choice to leave once upset.

I'd ask your mate if he's OK about it, get drunk together and move on. If he's any kind of mate he'll let you know when you've gone too far.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Is this racist? on 11:52 - Jul 20 with 2126 viewsblue_oyster

Is this racist? on 11:38 - Jul 20 by legal_blue

Yes, it was racist. Your 'joke' relied upon your friend's race (ethnicity), so it is, by definition a racist comment. Your intention is irrelevant.

You also said it at work, and could be liable for disciplinary proceedings. Your friend could make a complaint and your employer would be obliged to take action against you.

Friendly advice: make a fulsome apology to your black colleague and quit racial-based 'humour'.

Thank god the Thought Police have arrived. The crowd can now disperse and we can all sleep safely in our beds. End of discussion everyone.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Is this racist? on 11:52 - Jul 20 with 2124 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 11:40 - Jul 20 by bluelou

Given the context I would say it was in poor taste.

You said it without him being present, potentially to people who don't know about the in-jokes between you and him and could therefore also be offended and, worst of all, it was dreadfully unfunny, like sub-Jim Davidson unfunny.

You're probably naive rather than out of touch and I'm sure you're not a racist, but it was something that could be career limiting and lose you a mate.

The people present all know the in-jokes.

I'm not sure how it could be career limiting... and I knew full well it wouldn't lose me a mate.

I'm asking if the joke is racist. The other stuff you've mentioned (i.e. whether it was funny or not) is irrelevant.

Is this racist? on 11:55 - Jul 20 with 2106 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? (n/t) on 11:42 - Jul 20 by GlasgowBlue

[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 12:18]

Not really relevant to if the joke is racist, is it?

Is this racist? on 11:56 - Jul 20 with 2102 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 11:43 - Jul 20 by Pendejo

Context and recipients.

No malice and about someone with whom you share banter.

HOWEVER

To the wrong set of ears you are a card carrying, cross burning Klansman.

One of my colleagues used share banter with another colleague that was FAR FAR worse than that. "This banana for you boy!"

Blimey!

Is this racist? on 11:57 - Jul 20 with 2100 viewsIllinoisblue

Is this racist? on 11:50 - Jul 20 by hype313

It's racist, regardless of his friend offering his skin colour in the past.

To make a joke out of someone's skin colour is racist, no matter what caveats are involved.

I'm flabbergasted both you and Dolly are even questioning this

context counts for nothing?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is this racist? on 11:57 - Jul 20 with 2097 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 11:45 - Jul 20 by monytowbray

The comment itself is racist, but the context of the comment it not (mates joking about), therefore it isn't being racist. However with the context removed (IE. in a room of people when he wasn't around or with strangers) that context is removed and therefore it could be seen as racist by those who don't have said context.

For me it goes to show that it's easier to not make said jokes full stop, or at least not in situations where the context isn't quite clear.

It shows what a fine line/grey area it is (which is kinda what I wanted this debate to be about).

It's interesting though.

Is this racist? on 12:00 - Jul 20 with 2079 viewshype313

Is this racist? on 11:57 - Jul 20 by Illinoisblue

context counts for nothing?

Nope. It's a joke about someone's skin colour.

Why do you think people like Jim Davidson have no career now.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Is this racist? on 12:00 - Jul 20 with 2078 viewsGunnsAirkick

My cousin (who is black) used to call me "My n!gga" when he was younger. He has dropped that sort of language now but he still makes similar jokes which would probably be considered racist by some.

Someone told me you shouldn't use the word "black" anymore the other day, instead it's "person of colour". I told my cousin about this and he laughed in my face and said "Please, never refer to me as a person of colour FFS, I'm black."

In short, no I don't think it's racist if there is no malice and you know the person. If you said that to a stranger it's a lot different, context is everything (reminds me of the first episode of Always Sunny in Philadeplhia!)

I think some people are far too keen to get offended now. I used to hate the term "It's political correctness gone mad" but some (not all) left leaning people seem so intent on being offended on the behalf of others these days that it's a bit racist in itself. Yet some on the right seem intent on covering being unpleasant and bigoted as others being 'snowflakes' or it being freedom of speech when really they're just @rseholes. I very much sit in the centre of these two rather annoying trends.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 12:02]
Is this racist? on 12:01 - Jul 20 with 2077 viewsFixed_It

If it causes offence to the 'recipient' then it is racist. That is the bottom line. Personally, I don't think you should have said it without your friend being present as the joke was at his expense. And without him seeing the context in which it was said, it is difficult for him to gauge whether it was acceptable, and therefore offensive. In my opinion.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Is this racist? on 12:01 - Jul 20 with 2074 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 11:50 - Jul 20 by hype313

It's racist, regardless of his friend offering his skin colour in the past.

To make a joke out of someone's skin colour is racist, no matter what caveats are involved.

I'm flabbergasted both you and Dolly are even questioning this

Lots of people in the thread are questioning this. Why are you just focusing on me and Glassers?

Surely the responses so far show that it's not as clear cut as you suggest.

Is this racist? on 12:03 - Jul 20 with 2060 viewslegal_blue

Is this racist? on 11:49 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

Where have I said I said it at work?

Fair point.

But really, it's not funny and is offensive. Just stop it.
Is this racist? on 12:04 - Jul 20 with 2059 viewshype313

Is this racist? on 12:01 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

Lots of people in the thread are questioning this. Why are you just focusing on me and Glassers?

Surely the responses so far show that it's not as clear cut as you suggest.

Im sorry if the truth hurts you and Glassers, but you asked if it is racist, and it is.

Do you want me to say it isn't to make you feel better about yourself?

Is this racist? on 12:06 - Jul 20 with 2048 viewsSeablu

Is this racist? on 11:57 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

It shows what a fine line/grey area it is (which is kinda what I wanted this debate to be about).

It's interesting though.

Read that bit in brackets back to yourself and give some thought to how you have come across in this thread.
Is this racist? on 12:07 - Jul 20 with 2043 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this racist? on 12:04 - Jul 20 by hype313

Im sorry if the truth hurts you and Glassers, but you asked if it is racist, and it is.

It didn't hurt me mate. It isn't something I would have done personally but Dollers has spoken before about his mate telling him to black up to pass himself off. To me they have a relationship that is comfortable enough to engage in this sort of banter with no malice or harm intended.

That is my view and people are entitled to disagree with it.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 12:19]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is this racist? on 12:10 - Jul 20 with 2025 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 12:04 - Jul 20 by hype313

No, I asked why you're disregarding all the other comments on the thread and are just focusing on me and Glassers.

Is this racist? on 12:11 - Jul 20 with 2025 viewsmonytowbray

Is this racist? on 11:57 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

It's interesting though.

Context is a tough area, for sure. There are plenty of people who tell racist jokes who aren't racist, and plenty of people who find racist jokes offensive despite holding opinions most would define as racist.

For me, it's easier not to say it. Whilst a mate might say "Nah, it's cool" to such comments, deep down they might not like it but say they do as it's easier to just brush it off rather than fall out (and/or they understand said context despite not liking it much).

One of my biggest issues isn't the remark in these context-applied situations but the wider impact it has on normalising behaviour. Whilst to some it's just a joke, to others it makes them believe racist views are okay to have. Worse more it can have a negative impact on shaping kids' views who aren't old/experienced enough to apply context.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Is this racist? on 12:12 - Jul 20 with 2011 viewshype313

Is this racist? on 12:07 - Jul 20 by GlasgowBlue

It didn't hurt me mate. It isn't something I would have done personally but Dollers has spoken before about his mate telling him to black up to pass himself off. To me they have a relationship that is comfortable enough to engage in this sort of banter with no malice or harm intended.

That is my view and people are entitled to disagree with it.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 12:19]

My wife is mixed race, my extended family are all West Indian origin, and having spoken to them over the years and heard how they were treated/spoken to makes my blood boil.

Dolly is delusional if he thinks it isn't anything but racist.

But that's my opinion, I'm well aware there are plenty of others who have differing opinions, which is sad to hear.

Is this racist? on 12:12 - Jul 20 with 2006 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 12:06 - Jul 20 by Seablu

Read that bit in brackets back to yourself and give some thought to how you have come across in this thread.

I've read it back and nope, can't see anything wrong with it. Do you not think it's an interesting debate?

Is this racist? on 12:15 - Jul 20 with 1985 viewsFrimleyBlue

Racist to me no.. But with the world we live in. No doubts theyll be someone who would report you for it had it been a tweet or a thread comment etc
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 12:21]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Is this racist? on 12:16 - Jul 20 with 1970 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 12:11 - Jul 20 by monytowbray

Context is a tough area, for sure. There are plenty of people who tell racist jokes who aren't racist, and plenty of people who find racist jokes offensive despite holding opinions most would define as racist.

For me, it's easier not to say it. Whilst a mate might say "Nah, it's cool" to such comments, deep down they might not like it but say they do as it's easier to just brush it off rather than fall out (and/or they understand said context despite not liking it much).

One of my biggest issues isn't the remark in these context-applied situations but the wider impact it has on normalising behaviour. Whilst to some it's just a joke, to others it makes them believe racist views are okay to have. Worse more it can have a negative impact on shaping kids' views who aren't old/experienced enough to apply context.

I wouldn't say something like that with kids present.

Is this racist? on 12:18 - Jul 20 with 1961 viewsFrimleyBlue

Is this racist? on 11:52 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

The people present all know the in-jokes.

I'm not sure how it could be career limiting... and I knew full well it wouldn't lose me a mate.

I'm asking if the joke is racist. The other stuff you've mentioned (i.e. whether it was funny or not) is irrelevant.

Technically yes it is and had a boss heard it. He could have taken action against you.

Of course you didnt mean it in a bad way.. but its still a racist comment.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Is this racist? on 12:18 - Jul 20 with 1954 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 12:12 - Jul 20 by hype313

My wife is mixed race, my extended family are all West Indian origin, and having spoken to them over the years and heard how they were treated/spoken to makes my blood boil.

Dolly is delusional if he thinks it isn't anything but racist.

But that's my opinion, I'm well aware there are plenty of others who have differing opinions, which is sad to hear.

How is what you talk about in your first two lines in any way related to what I said in my joke?

Is this racist? on 12:20 - Jul 20 with 1936 viewsWD19

Not racist, but is selfish. Lenny Henry would not be able to earn a living if white people were allowed to tell jokes like that.
Is this racist? on 12:21 - Jul 20 with 1929 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 12:18 - Jul 20 by FrimleyBlue

Technically yes it is and had a boss heard it. He could have taken action against you.

Of course you didnt mean it in a bad way.. but its still a racist comment.

What has a boss got to do with it? It wasn't in a work environment.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024