Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this racist? 10:50 - Jul 20 with 22172 viewsDolly2.0

A mate of mine is black and we joke around a lot, often about stuff that's close to the knuckle (for example he jokes about when he doesn't want to do something he's going to 'black me up' and send me instead).

The other day I made a joke (he wasn't around at the time). We were talking about Black Friday and I said "is that when X (my mate) goes shopping?"

Is that racist?

The people I said it to were sort of 'mock' offended and one told my mate (again in a 'mock grassing me up' way). He seemed to laugh it off but I got the impression maybe I went a bit far this time.

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking. He seems fine since.

I might be a bit old fashioned but I tend to think if something isn't said with malice and doesn't actually denigrate someone because of their race, then it's not racist. Am I right or out of touch?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Is this racist? on 12:21 - Jul 20 with 3345 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this racist? on 12:12 - Jul 20 by hype313

My wife is mixed race, my extended family are all West Indian origin, and having spoken to them over the years and heard how they were treated/spoken to makes my blood boil.

Dolly is delusional if he thinks it isn't anything but racist.

But that's my opinion, I'm well aware there are plenty of others who have differing opinions, which is sad to hear.

I completely understand what you are saying and you are far closer to the issue than I am.

As I said, it's not something I would say but I based my judgement on the relationship between the two people.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is this racist? on 12:21 - Jul 20 with 3345 viewsIllinoisblue

Is this racist? on 12:18 - Jul 20 by FrimleyBlue

Technically yes it is and had a boss heard it. He could have taken action against you.

Of course you didnt mean it in a bad way.. but its still a racist comment.

he didn't say it at work

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is this racist? on 12:22 - Jul 20 with 3346 viewsgiant_stow

Is this racist? on 12:12 - Jul 20 by hype313

My wife is mixed race, my extended family are all West Indian origin, and having spoken to them over the years and heard how they were treated/spoken to makes my blood boil.

Dolly is delusional if he thinks it isn't anything but racist.

But that's my opinion, I'm well aware there are plenty of others who have differing opinions, which is sad to hear.

Perhaps you've hit on the answer: it is racist to make such jokes, but that only matters if the recipient is offended? You clearly would be, but Dolly's buddy probably wouldn't be (if he'd been there!).

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is this racist? on 12:22 - Jul 20 with 3332 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Is this racist? on 11:17 - Jul 20 by giant_stow

me and my mates are a fairly mixed bunch racially and to be honest, some of the gibes that float around on drunken nights would shock alot of people. But it's not for their ears - its for ours so anyone listenning can fck off.

Do you ever experience countyist language you Norfolk c-unit?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Is this racist? on 12:23 - Jul 20 with 3340 viewsFrimleyBlue

Is this racist? on 12:21 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

What has a boss got to do with it? It wasn't in a work environment.

Sorry mate saw a couple of replies meantion work place so assumed it took place there.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Is this racist? on 12:24 - Jul 20 with 3331 viewsFrimleyBlue

Is this racist? on 12:22 - Jul 20 by giant_stow

Perhaps you've hit on the answer: it is racist to make such jokes, but that only matters if the recipient is offended? You clearly would be, but Dolly's buddy probably wouldn't be (if he'd been there!).

100% correct.

Taking the persons name out of it.. black friday. Oh is that when 'they' all go shopping....

Thats how it could be taken which makes it a racist comment.

Waka waka eh eh

Is this racist? on 12:25 - Jul 20 with 3330 viewsgiant_stow

Is this racist? on 12:22 - Jul 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Do you ever experience countyist language you Norfolk c-unit?

All the time on here - I just chuckle at the yokels chucking their inbred straw bales at me, a city boy.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is this racist? on 12:26 - Jul 20 with 3320 viewsStenvict

I'm sure there would be some black people claiming to find this offensive just to play the racism card and say how we're still living in the 18th century.

FWIW, my flatmate is black and he finds these sort of jokes funny. There's a line with him and I know where it is and I will never cross it.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Login to get fewer ads

Is this racist? on 12:27 - Jul 20 with 3320 viewsgiant_stow

Is this racist? on 12:26 - Jul 20 by Stenvict

I'm sure there would be some black people claiming to find this offensive just to play the racism card and say how we're still living in the 18th century.

FWIW, my flatmate is black and he finds these sort of jokes funny. There's a line with him and I know where it is and I will never cross it.

This post makes me think: Dolly, out of interest does your buddy ever call you a honky / such like?

Edit: and have I just offended anyone by using the H word?!
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 12:28]

Is this racist? on 12:32 - Jul 20 with 3285 viewsjayceee

I live in South Africa, so you can imagine we have to be sensitive to racial humour. But it happens amongst friends of all races and is usually no problem.

Perhaps the only thing that is making you feel slightly worried, is the fact that is was said when he was not around. You might be worried that you have offended him, as he can't be sure in what tone the joke was made.

Had it been to his face, he'd have no doubt laughed and fired one back, as I'm sure it was said without any insulting undertones.

If you are still worried, have a quick, private word with him, if you haven't already.
Is this racist? on 12:32 - Jul 20 with 3279 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 12:24 - Jul 20 by FrimleyBlue

100% correct.

Taking the persons name out of it.. black friday. Oh is that when 'they' all go shopping....

Thats how it could be taken which makes it a racist comment.

Yeah that's a fair point.

Is this racist? on 12:33 - Jul 20 with 3271 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 12:27 - Jul 20 by giant_stow

This post makes me think: Dolly, out of interest does your buddy ever call you a honky / such like?

Edit: and have I just offended anyone by using the H word?!
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 12:28]

No. I'm only vaguely aware of the term. Never heard anyone say it.

Is this racist? on 12:34 - Jul 20 with 3267 viewsBlue_Order

Disgraceful remark tbh mate. You should do the right thing and hand yourself in at your local police station.
Is this racist? on 12:35 - Jul 20 with 3257 viewsgiant_stow

Is this racist? on 12:33 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

No. I'm only vaguely aware of the term. Never heard anyone say it.

maybe I'm dating myself, but back in school days (edit: a majority black school) that was a regular insult for us white piggies.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 12:36]

Is this racist? on 12:42 - Jul 20 with 3225 viewschicoazul

Lot of white experts on racism in this thread.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is this racist? on 12:42 - Jul 20 with 3223 viewslegal_blue

Is this racist? on 12:21 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

What has a boss got to do with it? It wasn't in a work environment.

Mate - you're in a hole, stop digging.

And stop trying to justify crap racist jokes.
Is this racist? on 12:44 - Jul 20 with 3218 viewsgiant_stow

Is this racist? on 12:42 - Jul 20 by chicoazul

Am I one your experts? If so, I feel like I've experienced enough racism to have an opinon, boss.

Is this racist? on 12:47 - Jul 20 with 3204 viewshype313

When you live with, and are related to people who have had to put up with racism, you kinda have a little insight into what goes on.

Obviously far better for people to stick fingers in ears though.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Is this racist? on 12:47 - Jul 20 with 3202 viewsNewcyBlue

MrsNewcy is mixed race, her Dad was from the West Indies.

She laughed at it when I told her. She said she has a similar friendship with one of her workmates.

She has however said her workmate wouldn't make such a joke if she wasn't present.

The dynamic of your friendship makes it ok, but it isn't​ ok when he isn't around.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Is this racist? on 12:48 - Jul 20 with 3203 viewsLord_Lucan

No, and you raise an interesting point. The day we can't take the p1ss out of each other is the day our spirits will die.

If I am with black, Asian or gay friends we constantly take the p1ss out of each other.

When I used to knock about with a load of Indian mates I was always introduced to their friends as "This is Lord Lucan, he is in The BNP" and they would all proceed to crack up, it never wasn't anything but hilarious to them.

Knowing people well enough to be able to slate them underlines a true friendship

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Is this racist? on 12:49 - Jul 20 with 3190 viewsjayceee

Lol - is white not a race? We can never experience it? To say otherwise is er, racist maybe?
Is this racist? on 12:51 - Jul 20 with 3172 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Is this racist? on 12:48 - Jul 20 by Lord_Lucan

No, and you raise an interesting point. The day we can't take the p1ss out of each other is the day our spirits will die.

If I am with black, Asian or gay friends we constantly take the p1ss out of each other.

When I used to knock about with a load of Indian mates I was always introduced to their friends as "This is Lord Lucan, he is in The BNP" and they would all proceed to crack up, it never wasn't anything but hilarious to them.

Knowing people well enough to be able to slate them underlines a true friendship

Accepting them, and finding them funny doesn't stop them from being racist though.

Poll: Best Football Song

Is this racist? on 12:53 - Jul 20 with 3159 viewsWD19

Is this racist? on 12:00 - Jul 20 by hype313

Nope. It's a joke about someone's skin colour.

Why do you think people like Jim Davidson have no career now.

But to my point elsewhere in this thread, Lenny Henry still does.

Saw him open an ethnic minority sports awards dinner with a line about it being nice to see 'ethiopian looking people running 26 miles for fun ad not just in search for food' (or similar) a couple of months back.

Imagine Jim Davidson cracking that one to a white audience.
on 12:56 - Jul 20 with 3148 views_

Is this racist? on 11:19 - Jul 20 by RoyKeanesDog

It may sound like an oxymoron, but I see it as a racist joke that is acceptable.

If you had said it to a black man you had only just met then it would've been racist. It's the same joke so you can't say it isn't. It's the context that makes it acceptable.

Generally I find racist/homophobic/sexist jokes unnecessary, even if tounge in cheek. If a group of friends have a minority in their group, and it goes down well- it's none of my business to get offended by that.

There's definitely enough in it to call it a grey area, but I wouldn't worry about it. If he makes the jokes himself, he's not likely to get offended by something like that.

Is this racist? on 12:57 - Jul 20 with 3136 viewsFrimleyBlue

Is this racist? on 12:53 - Jul 20 by WD19

But to my point elsewhere in this thread, Lenny Henry still does.

Saw him open an ethnic minority sports awards dinner with a line about it being nice to see 'ethiopian looking people running 26 miles for fun ad not just in search for food' (or similar) a couple of months back.

Imagine Jim Davidson cracking that one to a white audience.

Similar to that fella on bgt

200 years ago and this would have been an auction.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024