Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Adam McDonnell 08:03 - Aug 23 with 4408 viewsIpswich24

I said after watching him pre season against Colchester what a talent he looked I really think he is real deal and should be given a proper run in team. He has the lot

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Adam McDonnell on 08:07 - Aug 23 with 4363 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Totally agree. There's a player in there. Looks a good technical player, won a good amount of headers and looked physically capable. Deserves a chance, if not, he'll be unlucky to not feature much this season.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Adam McDonnell on 08:10 - Aug 23 with 4337 viewsKieran_Knows

It's a shame he basically lost a season last year for bad attitude, lack of effort or whatever it might have been because he could of made himself a better option available to Mick rather than someone like Douglas.

Fair play to him coming back this summer and making his way back in to Mick's plans though, hopefully he keeps it up and sees a bit more first team action this season.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Adam McDonnell on 09:42 - Aug 23 with 4092 viewsITFC_Forever

Always liked him when I've seen him for the reserves.... hopefully he can now start to force his way in to the squad more often now.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Adam McDonnell on 10:09 - Aug 23 with 3976 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Downes (And Possibly Nydam) do seem to be ahead of him in McCarthy's thoughts though.. And with Hyam close to a return, followed by Huws & Adayemi I'm not sure where McDonnell fits

I've always been impressed by him, but he does always seem to struggle toward the latter stages of matches, to the point where he seems to hit a brick wall at times..

As I said last season, he could really do with a loan move down to L1 or L2 and play 20+ matches to get him up to speed as he hasn't played a lot of (competitive, meaningful) football in the last 2 years
Adam McDonnell on 10:19 - Aug 23 with 3908 viewsgt81

Adam McDonnell on 10:09 - Aug 23 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Downes (And Possibly Nydam) do seem to be ahead of him in McCarthy's thoughts though.. And with Hyam close to a return, followed by Huws & Adayemi I'm not sure where McDonnell fits

I've always been impressed by him, but he does always seem to struggle toward the latter stages of matches, to the point where he seems to hit a brick wall at times..

As I said last season, he could really do with a loan move down to L1 or L2 and play 20+ matches to get him up to speed as he hasn't played a lot of (competitive, meaningful) football in the last 2 years

Could he be cover for Skuse?
Adam McDonnell on 10:24 - Aug 23 with 3887 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Adam McDonnell on 10:19 - Aug 23 by gt81

Could he be cover for Skuse?

Downes looks like our Skuse replacement in waiting..

Very similar style, but with Downes having a bit more aggression and intent when on the ball. Could be exactly what many have been screaming for Skuse to step up & deliver

McDonnell could do that role, but not sure Mick has the same level of trust in him, particularly as Hyam is close to a return. But like has been said, it would be great to see McDonnell finally get a run of games (if not here, then out on loan somewhere)
Adam McDonnell on 10:34 - Aug 23 with 3824 viewsHarryWright

Adam McDonnell on 10:24 - Aug 23 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Very similar style, but with Downes having a bit more aggression and intent when on the ball. Could be exactly what many have been screaming for Skuse to step up & deliver

McDonnell could do that role, but not sure Mick has the same level of trust in him, particularly as Hyam is close to a return. But like has been said, it would be great to see McDonnell finally get a run of games (if not here, then out on loan somewhere)

I think Downes is more box to box whereas Skuse is very much a defensive midfielder.
Adam McDonnell on 11:51 - Aug 23 with 3689 viewsWickets

Adam McDonnell on 08:10 - Aug 23 by Kieran_Knows

It's a shame he basically lost a season last year for bad attitude, lack of effort or whatever it might have been because he could of made himself a better option available to Mick rather than someone like Douglas.

Fair play to him coming back this summer and making his way back in to Mick's plans though, hopefully he keeps it up and sees a bit more first team action this season.

Very true but he was not the only young midfield player who got upset about not getting a chance in first team , when Mr Douglas was strolling about and being told he was great!
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 15:34]
Login to get fewer ads

Adam McDonnell on 15:14 - Aug 23 with 3429 viewsPilgrimblue

Adam McDonnell on 10:24 - Aug 23 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Any thought of Hyam returning must be premature as he has got fit yet nor has he shown that he's able to get his form back. So that reason I'd hope that Adam does get his chance as I too thought he looked good in friendlies.
I think also that Skuse days are numbered, either because he'll see more injuries or because other Mids will command place ahead of him.
Adam McDonnell on 21:44 - Aug 23 with 3167 viewstextbackup

Adam McDonnell on 15:14 - Aug 23 by Pilgrimblue

Any thought of Hyam returning must be premature as he has got fit yet nor has he shown that he's able to get his form back. So that reason I'd hope that Adam does get his chance as I too thought he looked good in friendlies.
I think also that Skuse days are numbered, either because he'll see more injuries or because other Mids will command place ahead of him.

Let's be brutally honest, these new crop of lads are already streets ahead of Hyam aren't they. Not in a horrible way, but let's face it he's extremely limited

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Adam McDonnell on 21:48 - Aug 23 with 3149 views3_5_2

Adam McDonnell on 21:44 - Aug 23 by textbackup

Let's be brutally honest, these new crop of lads are already streets ahead of Hyam aren't they. Not in a horrible way, but let's face it he's extremely limited

Agree. Never seen much in there other than a decent work rate a hard tackler. Just not enough these days.

He needs games so surely a long term loan to div 1 or 2 would be his best option

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Adam McDonnell on 21:50 - Aug 23 with 3139 viewsITFCBlues

But Mick loves him!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Adam McDonnell on 21:52 - Aug 23 with 3129 viewstextbackup

Adam McDonnell on 21:50 - Aug 23 by ITFCBlues

But Mick loves him!

MM may appreciate what he offered, however, MM knows these other guys offer so much more.(I'd like to think)

Adam McDonnell on 21:54 - Aug 23 with 3117 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Adam McDonnell on 21:52 - Aug 23 by textbackup

MM may appreciate what he offered, however, MM knows these other guys offer so much more.(I'd like to think)

I think so too

Downes is head and shoulders a better all round footballer than Hyam in my view
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 21:55]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Adam McDonnell on 21:58 - Aug 23 with 3092 viewstextbackup

Adam McDonnell on 21:54 - Aug 23 by The_Romford_Blue

I think so too

Downes is head and shoulders a better all round footballer than Hyam in my view
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 21:55]

From what I'm reading he is on par with Skuse, if not better. (I say read because I've only seen the brim game so far this season!)

Adam McDonnell on 22:03 - Aug 23 with 3071 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Adam McDonnell on 21:58 - Aug 23 by textbackup

From what I'm reading he is on par with Skuse, if not better. (I say read because I've only seen the brim game so far this season!)

I actually think he works as a brilliant pair WITH Skuse rather than would take his spot.

Skuse coaches him through the games and lets the lad do what he wants but then covers him if necessary.

For me, them two in a three with Huws is our best midfield. Ward in Huws' spot in his place whilst he's injured.

Obviously we are playing the four strikers at the moment so it's irrelevant but you see my point.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Adam McDonnell on 22:17 - Aug 23 with 3029 viewsPilgrimblue

Adam McDonnell on 22:03 - Aug 23 by The_Romford_Blue

I actually think he works as a brilliant pair WITH Skuse rather than would take his spot.

Skuse coaches him through the games and lets the lad do what he wants but then covers him if necessary.

For me, them two in a three with Huws is our best midfield. Ward in Huws' spot in his place whilst he's injured.

Obviously we are playing the four strikers at the moment so it's irrelevant but you see my point.

Agreed that Skuse does have important role in Downes development for now BUT I also see McDonnell pressing for 1st team. With Huws and Ade due to come back soon its going to be interesting.
While 4 strikers has worked so far i'd prefer a solid midfield with all 3/4 contributing to defence and attack. Could be exciting times
Adam McDonnell on 22:49 - Aug 23 with 2962 viewsFootballpete

To be fair, everyone was buzzing about Hyam when he broke in to the side in the same way they now are about these new lads. We're yet to become accustomed to their strengths and weaknesses. That's in no way a criticism of them, but it is still early days for them both.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 22:50]

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Adam McDonnell on 22:54 - Aug 23 with 2950 viewsDinnernotTea

I think I'm the only Ipswich fan to have never rated Luke Hyam at any point during his time with us, I know why people like him because he's academy but I can't think of 3 qualities that make him a second tier footballer.

Agree with a 3 of Skuse Huws Downes as our best centre mid 3. If Huws gets fully fit and on form allowing him to cause havoc in the final third with those two behind him will be exciting to watch.

McG
Huws
Waghorn
Garner
Waghorn
Sears

All at some point causing carnage to the scum defence...

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Adam McDonnell on 23:02 - Aug 23 with 2924 viewsKieran_Knows

He gets given a 'free pass' due to the whole 'he's one of our own' cr*p. Whilst he has been a regular when fit under Mick, I just don't see where he fits in if Downes and Nydam continue to impress, then add in Skuse, Adeyemi, Huws and Dozzell (who looked like he may have gone on to be a regular this season) returning in 9 months time. That's potentially making him 7th choice, possibly 8th if Bishop is also viewed ahead of him as well.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Adam McDonnell on 23:45 - Aug 23 with 2869 viewsCurrie10

Adam McDonnell on 10:09 - Aug 23 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Agree with many, surely the end of the road for Hyam here. How the hell he got a two year extension at the time is something quite beyond me, one year sure... two.... Hmmm.

I'd say he could do with a loan spell until January, then possibly a way back in.

Agree with others, he's got too many infront of him now.

Be interesting to see how Adeyemi / Huws fit into the bill too. Have to say I'm unconvinced Huws can do it in a central 2, could be wrong. Adeyemi may find missing the start of the season results in him playing very little - unless he can play out wide?

As for Teddy... poor kid!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024