Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' 23:50 - Nov 15 with 4640 viewsLibero

I've been doing a lot of reading lately about the influence of websites like 4chan and individuals like Richard Spencer who are pushing the alt right movement in the USA.

Check out this great lecture, really eye opening, well worth listening to.

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:40 - Nov 16 with 459 viewsLibero

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:28 - Nov 16 by Bluesquid

Fair enough but even as individuals we shouldn't just take someones or some organisations word as the truth and instead work with solid proof and evidence. Don't you think?

I of course agree but in all honesty I don't think the poster you picked up upon has done that, he did punctuate the comment with an 'if'
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:41 - Nov 16 with 457 viewsbluemurder

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:38 - Nov 16 by Libero

Why's that baxterbasics?

The alt right phenomena isn't exclusive to the U.S, it's global.
[Post edited 16 Nov 14:39]

Because the likes or McDonnell and corbyn will delight at bankrupting the country while pouring money into the coffers of their union backers.
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:41 - Nov 16 with 455 viewsLibero

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:39 - Nov 16 by baxterbasics

The correct way to fight bad ideas is to counter with good ideas and win the argument.

Punching people isn't opposing, and is only justified if you are getting punched in the first place (or about to).

Yeah, I've got to say that I agree. I up voted factual's joke but on the whole despite Richard Spencer being a horrible human being I wouldn't condone punching him in the face.
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:41 - Nov 16 with 460 viewsbaxterbasics

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:38 - Nov 16 by Libero

Why's that baxterbasics?

The alt right phenomena isn't exclusive to the U.S, it's global.
[Post edited 16 Nov 14:39]

Sure but the extreme end of it isn't exactly prevalent here like it is in other corners of Europe or the US. The far left however, is coming scarily close to hijacking a major political party.

zip
Poll: How old are you, TWTD user?

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:47 - Nov 16 with 440 viewsSpruceMoose

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:41 - Nov 16 by baxterbasics

Sure but the extreme end of it isn't exactly prevalent here like it is in other corners of Europe or the US. The far left however, is coming scarily close to hijacking a major political party.

Absurd.

Poll: Can you see this poll?

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:48 - Nov 16 with 436 viewschicoazul

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:03 - Nov 16 by bluemurder

Ok smartarse, explain to me exactly what the continent of Africa would be like now if no European had set foot on it.

Conversations arent distracting. It's really that simple.

Want to talk about it? PM me. Here To Help Crew
Poll: How many games will JW play between now and the end of the season

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:49 - Nov 16 with 435 viewschicoazul

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:13 - Nov 16 by Herbivore

I see blue oyster has let you out of the gimp dungeon for the day.

Well done on proving his point though.

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:49 - Nov 16 with 434 viewsnoggin

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:41 - Nov 16 by Libero

Yeah, I've got to say that I agree. I up voted factual's joke but on the whole despite Richard Spencer being a horrible human being I wouldn't condone punching him in the face.

I would condone it and I would happily do it. He makes my blood boil.

Poll: Will Town be strong and stable next season?

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:50 - Nov 16 with 428 viewschicoazul

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:16 - Nov 16 by SpruceMoose

Trolls of a feather, flock together.

Imsure has posted here for years and years. I have argued with him many times about many things. He is not a troll, just because someone disagrees with your POV or politics doesnt make them a troll. Who are you again?

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:50 - Nov 16 with 427 viewsLibero

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:41 - Nov 16 by baxterbasics

Actually it is, it's just waiting for the right moment and vehicle to mobilise itself in real life so to speak.

That's why there's so much concern when things like the FLA march happen.
Honest, blue collar, hard working blokes marching under the banner of being against extremism on a march that's being orchestrated by people in the same demographic holding the same kind of rhetoric and beliefs as Richard Spencer.

Does that make everyone that went on the march a fascist? No, of course not. However it does leave them intertwined with certain values that the fascists hold and as a result more likely to defend certain behaviours/actions/opinions which could potentially lead to a similar situation occurring in the UK.

Nigel Farage came close to motivating these people to come out of hiding however in my opinion a combination of the public backlash and the otherness of Farage compared to the people he was attempting to appeal to led to it all collapsing. Farage sold himself as a 'man of the people' but in reality he was just another member of the elite. In my opinion someone of the ilk of Tommy Robinson could potentially be the UK's answer to Richard Spencer if the forces willing it can forge kismet.

I'm interested in your views on 'the far left' - by this I'm assuming you're referring to Jeremy Corbyn's labour party? What is it you're particularly concerned about with them?
I also found your use of language interesting, how have they 'hijacked a major political party'?

- not baiting, genuinely interested to understand your point of view.
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:51 - Nov 16 with 418 viewsbluemurder

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:48 - Nov 16 by chicoazul

Conversations arent distracting. It's really that simple.

Well let’s just say he got riled and didn’t do anything to pick apart the right wing nonsense. Which is a shame because it was a good ppportunity
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:54 - Nov 16 with 409 viewsLibero

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:50 - Nov 16 by chicoazul

Imsure has posted here for years and years. I have argued with him many times about many things. He is not a troll, just because someone disagrees with your POV or politics doesnt make them a troll. Who are you again?

Aye, I've also had disagreements with imsureazzure and we sit on differing ends of the spectrum but I'd never call him a troll.

I also like Sprucey as a poster, he's quite amusing and is a consistent presence, however a bit like how Dollers used to do before he was reborn he does have a habit of shouting people down in the exact style that we're discussing as being unhelpful and not conducive to discourse or mutual understanding.

They're both good guys, probably best just leave it at that.
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:55 - Nov 16 with 403 viewschicoazul

People will now argue with your definitions of far left and far/alt right making the conversation pointless. I agree with you. To wit, people will say "being anti immigrant is a far right position" as if Corbyn and McDonnell havent spent their political careers campaigning against the EU and free movement of people and capital.
Corbyn is a nice old boy but a significant powerful minority he is bringing with him are deceitful manipulative communist rseholes.

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:58 - Nov 16 with 387 viewschicoazul

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:51 - Nov 16 by bluemurder

Well let’s just say he got riled and didn’t do anything to pick apart the right wing nonsense. Which is a shame because it was a good ppportunity

How ridiculous of a black man to get riled by a Nazi and not argue with them in a coherent mannered way, eh? Spencer wants his head kicked in, like everyone else who marches under that flag.

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:58 - Nov 16 with 386 viewsLibero

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:55 - Nov 16 by chicoazul

People will now argue with your definitions of far left and far/alt right making the conversation pointless. I agree with you. To wit, people will say "being anti immigrant is a far right position" as if Corbyn and McDonnell havent spent their political careers campaigning against the EU and free movement of people and capital.
Corbyn is a nice old boy but a significant powerful minority he is bringing with him are deceitful manipulative communist rseholes.

You're grossly simplifying there and it's really not a fair representation in my opinion.

I don't think the definitions need to be explored tbh, they're pretty unilateral now, the interesting part is the untouched centre ground. Nobody has defined this area in decades. No, I don't count Tony Blair.
[Post edited 16 Nov 14:59]
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:02 - Nov 16 with 376 viewschicoazul

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:58 - Nov 16 by Libero

You're grossly simplifying there and it's really not a fair representation in my opinion.

I don't think the definitions need to be explored tbh, they're pretty unilateral now, the interesting part is the untouched centre ground. Nobody has defined this area in decades. No, I don't count Tony Blair.
[Post edited 16 Nov 14:59]

This is completely wrong. We don't need to define some e.g. Nazis, we all know and recognise them. But "left" and "right" are far more closely linked than you (probably) think. Hence Labour's heartlands voting in majority for Brexit for instance. Definitions are all-important hence conversations are all important.

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:03 - Nov 16 with 374 viewsbluemurder

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:58 - Nov 16 by chicoazul

How ridiculous of a black man to get riled by a Nazi and not argue with them in a coherent mannered way, eh? Spencer wants his head kicked in, like everyone else who marches under that flag.

Yes, it is ridiculous. Spencer is a nobody in reality and not someone to be given so much respect. Younge should have pressed him on how he sees the future rather than the past. It goes to show how poor journalism is these days.
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:06 - Nov 16 with 364 viewschicoazul

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:03 - Nov 16 by bluemurder

Yes, it is ridiculous. Spencer is a nobody in reality and not someone to be given so much respect. Younge should have pressed him on how he sees the future rather than the past. It goes to show how poor journalism is these days.

Gary Younge is an excellent journalist. You are completely wrong. Try reading some of his articles or books, or don't, I could care less either way really.

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:09 - Nov 16 with 356 viewsNo9

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:30 - Nov 16 by baxterbasics

Much more worried about the rise of the left in the UK, tbh.

Is ther actually any rise of the left in the UK?
If you determine there is to what extent is it and to what would you assign the causes or reasons for such a rise?
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:12 - Nov 16 with 350 viewsLibero

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:02 - Nov 16 by chicoazul

This is completely wrong. We don't need to define some e.g. Nazis, we all know and recognise them. But "left" and "right" are far more closely linked than you (probably) think. Hence Labour's heartlands voting in majority for Brexit for instance. Definitions are all-important hence conversations are all important.

It's slightly more complicated in the UK as you have to consider the class structure as something separate from left and right while also allowing for how our working class have been mistreated going all the way back to Thatcher's tenure, but I understand what you're saying.

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement regarding the importance of conversations. I think we're actually in agreement, I maybe just phrased that last post poorly.
[Post edited 16 Nov 15:14]
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:20 - Nov 16 with 331 viewsfactual_blue

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:09 - Nov 16 by No9

Is ther actually any rise of the left in the UK?
If you determine there is to what extent is it and to what would you assign the causes or reasons for such a rise?

Some of course see the EDL as marxists.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: When is 3.30 am on Saturday
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:22 - Nov 16 with 324 viewsLibero

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:03 - Nov 16 by bluemurder

I really don't believe that you've put in the time or research to hold that opinion, but you are of course entitled to it none the less.
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:34 - Nov 16 with 298 viewsNewcyBlue

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:41 - Nov 16 by Libero

When you are quietly minding your own business, sitting on public transport, and your partner starts receiving racial abuse, you wouldn’t hesitate at using the required minimum force to stop said abuse. Although I lose my rag quite quickly too.
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:37 - Nov 16 with 291 viewsNo9

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:20 - Nov 16 by factual_blue

Some of course see the EDL as marxists.

Yes
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 15:41 - Nov 16 with 282 viewsvilanovablue

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 09:37 - Nov 16 by bluemurder

What I’m saying is that younge didn’t really have a counter argument. He should be focusing on the outcomes the likes of spencer expect from their movement and then tear that down.

Arguing some hypothetical argument that Africa would be prosperous now if there had never been any outside influences is distracting.

In fairness that response came about because the way the conversation went. I suspect Younge would have preferred a more far reaching discussion as he thought he was talking to an alt right intellectual as opposed to an idiot!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2017