Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where should we strengthen in January? 14:05 - Dec 4 with 5540 viewsSuperfrans

Assuming that we're in touch with, or even in, the play-off positions at the end of the year...

We were discussing this before the game on Saturday and, on the basis that our greatest problem is defence and remaining solid, we felt that a decent, hairy-asred centre half (in the Tony Mowbray mould back in 1995) to bring some organisation to the back four would be the one. Cutting out the odd goal here or there could make all the difference to our play-off push.

Of course, this is assuming we are looking and that we have the spare cash for the wages (maybe even a small fee). It would also depend on the right player being available...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:09 - Dec 4 with 5528 viewsKieran_Knows

A new centre back and try sign Connolly permanently, thus meaning we can return Iorfa to Wolves as well as looking to sell/release Bru.

Jobs a good'un.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:11 - Dec 4 with 5519 viewsitfcjoe

Whilst Spence has done well enough, a real good quality right back (amybe he is already in the squad in Connolly) and a good right sided midfield play as Ward is lacking a bit of end product could really help us out

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:15 - Dec 4 with 5498 viewsArcher4721

Can't see the owner wanting to let MM make any significant signings if he isn't going to be here next season.
Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:19 - Dec 4 with 5469 viewsSuperfrans

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:15 - Dec 4 by Archer4721

Can't see the owner wanting to let MM make any significant signings if he isn't going to be here next season.

Even a free transfer, if it could be the difference between play-offs or not?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:19 - Dec 4 with 5472 viewsitfcjoe

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:15 - Dec 4 by Archer4721

They may not need to be significant signings, but McCarthy has shown he can be trusted to make 'club signings'

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:20 - Dec 4 with 5464 viewsBOjK

IIRC Mowbray had a fairly slow start with town, probably not unrelated to him being recently bereaved. Obviously (like McAuley) he went on to be a fantastic player for us.

The centre-halves who I remember being instant hits were Jason Cundy and Matt Elliott.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:27 - Dec 4 with 5438 viewsCanadianBlue

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:20 - Dec 4 by BOjK

IIRC Mowbray had a fairly slow start with town, probably not unrelated to him being recently bereaved. Obviously (like McAuley) he went on to be a fantastic player for us.

The centre-halves who I remember being instant hits were Jason Cundy and Matt Elliott.

Jason de Vos was another CB that hit the ground running. Really missed him for a few years there.
Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:45 - Dec 4 with 5378 viewsmojo

I wonder if we will go back in for that Brighton CB again we almost got in August.
Login to get fewer ads

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:51 - Dec 4 with 5363 viewsArcher4721

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:45 - Dec 4 by mojo

I wonder if we will go back in for that Brighton CB again we almost got in August.

Probably will do when he's at his next club.
Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:55 - Dec 4 with 5351 viewsElderGrizzly

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:45 - Dec 4 by mojo

Good shout.

Smith isn’t reliable enough or good enough in my opinion.

As Joe says and i’ve said before, i believe Connolly is our strongest RB and should be played there. We have enough CMs now. If not, we need to play a consistent back 4 and allow them to gel.

Other player i’d get is a back up to Celina on a left side, to learn from him and be back up.

Otherwise we are done, Moore is coming back unless someone leaves. Maybe Sears out?
Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:56 - Dec 4 with 5344 viewsReuser_is_God

Centre back & a right back.

Potential McGoldrick replacement too?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:58 - Dec 4 with 5338 viewsKieran_Knows

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:56 - Dec 4 by Reuser_is_God

Centre back & a right back.

Potential McGoldrick replacement too?

McGoldrick as in striker McGoldrick, or no.10 McGoldrick? Striker, possibly, but in terms of number 10, we've got Waghorn and Huws who can fill that role if Garner returns to the side, not also forgetting that Nydam can play there, as well as Dozzell hopefully returning next season, who could possibly play there.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Where should we strengthen in January? on 15:03 - Dec 4 with 5324 viewsReuser_is_God

Where should we strengthen in January? on 14:58 - Dec 4 by Kieran_Knows

McGoldrick as in striker McGoldrick, or no.10 McGoldrick? Striker, possibly, but in terms of number 10, we've got Waghorn and Huws who can fill that role if Garner returns to the side, not also forgetting that Nydam can play there, as well as Dozzell hopefully returning next season, who could possibly play there.

Striker McGoldrick.

That may well be Keiffer Moore depending on what Micks thinking is but he’ll want 4 strikers.

EDIT; only saying a McGoldrick replacement as it looks a good chance he may be off in the sunmer.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2017 15:05]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Where should we strengthen in January? on 15:41 - Dec 4 with 5261 viewsChocorange

Where should we strengthen in January? on 15:03 - Dec 4 by Reuser_is_God

Striker McGoldrick.

That may well be Keiffer Moore depending on what Micks thinking is but he’ll want 4 strikers.

EDIT; only saying a McGoldrick replacement as it looks a good chance he may be off in the sunmer.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2017 15:05]

Don't forget we have already signed Duggan the striker from Ireland that other teams were looking at.
At 19 he may be ready for the first team squad.
If that's the case , the return of big lump Moore as well and the likely loss of Didzy , should mean money available for a defender.
Take ur pick on any of the back 4 positions...
Where should we strengthen in January? on 15:54 - Dec 4 with 5241 viewsNo9

The rebuilding of midfield has started (not before time)
what is needed now is what used to be called 'a midfield general' to bring it together.
There are defence options on the books for MM to play and the front runners are doing OK (at the moment).
Using the talent on the books wisely is necessary
Where should we strengthen in January? on 15:58 - Dec 4 with 5226 viewschicoazul

Definitely central defence.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Where should we strengthen in January? on 16:16 - Dec 4 with 5190 viewsWestcountryblue

I'd like to see a good centre back brought in with Smith continuing to have issues with his fitness. Wonder if we have a buy back option on Clarke from Portsmouth ?

Another winger would be good as well, as injuries to Ward and Celina would leave us short for options in that area of the pitch.

More than anything though, i just think need to get Huws, Didzy, Smith, Bishop et al back and match fit.

Kieffer Moore will be a good option to have and a nice replacement for Sears who is going through a rough patch of form right now.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2017 16:20]
Where should we strengthen in January? on 16:28 - Dec 4 with 5152 viewsstrikalite

Where should we strengthen in January? on 16:16 - Dec 4 by Westcountryblue

I'd like to see a good centre back brought in with Smith continuing to have issues with his fitness. Wonder if we have a buy back option on Clarke from Portsmouth ?

Another winger would be good as well, as injuries to Ward and Celina would leave us short for options in that area of the pitch.

More than anything though, i just think need to get Huws, Didzy, Smith, Bishop et al back and match fit.

Kieffer Moore will be a good option to have and a nice replacement for Sears who is going through a rough patch of form right now.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2017 16:20]

Yeah bring Moore back, a good a different option at least, and a new right back on loan from the Prem is the best we can hope for I'd say, send Iorfa back to Wolves...
Where should we strengthen in January? on 18:49 - Dec 4 with 4998 viewsWestcountryblue

Where should we strengthen in January? on 16:28 - Dec 4 by strikalite

Yeah bring Moore back, a good a different option at least, and a new right back on loan from the Prem is the best we can hope for I'd say, send Iorfa back to Wolves...

Stick with Iorfa. I reckon there is a player in there somewhere. Had a few horror games, but he was very impressive at the weekend
Where should we strengthen in January? on 18:54 - Dec 4 with 4984 viewsHerbivore

Centre back and a winger ideally but I don't think we'll sign anyone as we've coped with just about as bad an injury crisis as you could imagine so I'm not sure ME will release the purse strings.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Where should we strengthen in January? on 18:58 - Dec 4 with 4971 viewsWestcountryblue

Where should we strengthen in January? on 18:54 - Dec 4 by Herbivore

Centre back and a winger ideally but I don't think we'll sign anyone as we've coped with just about as bad an injury crisis as you could imagine so I'm not sure ME will release the purse strings.

Don't think ME really needs to release the purse strings. Smith, Adeyemi, McGoldrick, Bishop and Moore will all be back in the fold in January. Might even have Hyam as a backup option too !

It's just about keeping our best players fit.
Where should we strengthen in January? on 19:00 - Dec 4 with 4965 viewsHerbivore

Where should we strengthen in January? on 18:58 - Dec 4 by Westcountryblue

Don't think ME really needs to release the purse strings. Smith, Adeyemi, McGoldrick, Bishop and Moore will all be back in the fold in January. Might even have Hyam as a backup option too !

It's just about keeping our best players fit.

I don't disagree with that to be honest, I think we're fine with what we've got but a couple of reinforcements wouldn't hurt either.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Where should we strengthen in January? on 19:05 - Dec 4 with 4949 viewsclive_baker

Cash in on Moore. He’s been great for Rotherham but I think bringing him into the fold here, and the inevitable change to a more direct style would be a backwards step for us given the quality we have going forward. If anyone wanted Bru, Rowe or Sears I would happily let them leave too.

Hopefully Bishop is fully fit and in contention by then, and Adeyemi. Dozzell might be showing the early signs of a return and maybe even Hyam, although I expect his Town career is over. Celina looks happy and hopefully he stays the whole season.

I’m terms of additions I would like a really experienced, quality right back. I’m not a fan of Spence to be honest. He huffs and puffs but I think he lacks quality in possession and he’s average at best defensively. He’s young, probably relatively cheap and a decent enough squad player but if we’re going to kick on into a serious force and top 6 side I think we need more quality. Probably a centre half too to partner Chambers. I think Webster has potential but he’s far from the rolls Royce footballing Rio-esque centre back some will have you believe. Replacing him isn’t a burning priority but he’s definitely upgradeable IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Where should we strengthen in January? on 19:13 - Dec 4 with 4930 viewsbontcho

Where should we strengthen in January? on 19:05 - Dec 4 by clive_baker

Cash in on Moore. He’s been great for Rotherham but I think bringing him into the fold here, and the inevitable change to a more direct style would be a backwards step for us given the quality we have going forward. If anyone wanted Bru, Rowe or Sears I would happily let them leave too.

Hopefully Bishop is fully fit and in contention by then, and Adeyemi. Dozzell might be showing the early signs of a return and maybe even Hyam, although I expect his Town career is over. Celina looks happy and hopefully he stays the whole season.

I’m terms of additions I would like a really experienced, quality right back. I’m not a fan of Spence to be honest. He huffs and puffs but I think he lacks quality in possession and he’s average at best defensively. He’s young, probably relatively cheap and a decent enough squad player but if we’re going to kick on into a serious force and top 6 side I think we need more quality. Probably a centre half too to partner Chambers. I think Webster has potential but he’s far from the rolls Royce footballing Rio-esque centre back some will have you believe. Replacing him isn’t a burning priority but he’s definitely upgradeable IMO.

I agree re Moore. If we could get £500-£700k that’s great business and we could reinvest. Whilst January is a tough time to spend I’d be hopeful we could use that cash, even if it’s for a loanee.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Biceps (n/t) on 19:27 - Dec 4 with 4887 viewsghostofescobar

GhostOfEscobar

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024