Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Traffic issues in and around Ipswich 14:39 - Jan 16 with 7473 viewsGeoffSentence

If only, if only the traffic planners had had the foresight to keep the Ipswich Underground up and running.

I guess we will never see its like again.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 14:51 - Jan 16 with 6253 viewsSwansea_Blue

The foresight (in general) was there. 30 years ago people were pointing out that things might get a bit congested with the new estates popping up around Copdock and the airport.

Too late for the underground of course, but I don't think there's been any significant investment in infrastructure since the Orwell Bridge opened in '82. None in the town that I'm aware of (correct me if I'm wrong as I don't get back much).

All they seem to do is mop up year end budgets by banging in traffic lights on roundabouts to try and slow/regulate flow.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 14:53 - Jan 16 with 6244 viewsDubtractor

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 14:51 - Jan 16 by Swansea_Blue

The foresight (in general) was there. 30 years ago people were pointing out that things might get a bit congested with the new estates popping up around Copdock and the airport.

Too late for the underground of course, but I don't think there's been any significant investment in infrastructure since the Orwell Bridge opened in '82. None in the town that I'm aware of (correct me if I'm wrong as I don't get back much).

All they seem to do is mop up year end budgets by banging in traffic lights on roundabouts to try and slow/regulate flow.

Lots of money has been spent - whether it is on the right things is another matter.

Big problem is that without bulldozing bits of town there simply isn't the space to improve things.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 14:58 - Jan 16 with 6227 viewsSwansea_Blue

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 14:53 - Jan 16 by Dubtractor

Lots of money has been spent - whether it is on the right things is another matter.

Big problem is that without bulldozing bits of town there simply isn't the space to improve things.

Yep, minor remodelling but nothing of a scale to really make a difference. You're right though, space is constrained. And I guess money isn't there for a visionary scheme (like a tram network, or reopening the underground - even if it was feasible now, which presumably it isn't).

The northern bypass is the obvious option that keeps cropping up. Not that it would help the town centre much.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 15:06 - Jan 16 with 6213 viewsDubtractor

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 14:58 - Jan 16 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, minor remodelling but nothing of a scale to really make a difference. You're right though, space is constrained. And I guess money isn't there for a visionary scheme (like a tram network, or reopening the underground - even if it was feasible now, which presumably it isn't).

The northern bypass is the obvious option that keeps cropping up. Not that it would help the town centre much.

I managed to fool someone with the underground page the other day.

Was quite pleased with myself.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 15:06 - Jan 16 with 6211 viewsLord_Lucan

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 14:58 - Jan 16 by Swansea_Blue

It would massively help the town centre though.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 15:14 - Jan 16 with 6185 viewsBackToRussia

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 14:51 - Jan 16 by Swansea_Blue

They need to add a couple of bridges over the train line for my money. Need to be able to cut through from Nacton down to Foxhall as easily as possible.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 15:15 - Jan 16 with 6181 viewsSpruceMoose

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 14:53 - Jan 16 by Dubtractor

Bulldozing eh? I vote we start with Whitton. That way we can have some separation between the town and Claydon. And we would no longer have to know that Whitton exists.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 15:45 - Jan 16 with 6151 viewsArnieM

What this town needs is a NORTHERN BY-PASS.
But of curse it wont happen because it goes through all the "posh bits" surrounding Ipswich , and especially Mr Gummer's farms!

btw this thing about the Bridge always closing during high winds etc. Yip I get it , regarding lorries and high sided vehicles. But why cant cars cross the bridge , at a reduced speed??

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Login to get fewer ads

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 16:02 - Jan 16 with 6116 viewsblue_oyster

The only solution is to restrict private cars into the town. I wonder how many more decades of misery will ensue before they realise this.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 16:04 - Jan 16 with 6098 viewsITFC_Forever

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 15:45 - Jan 16 by ArnieM

What this town needs is a NORTHERN BY-PASS.
But of curse it wont happen because it goes through all the "posh bits" surrounding Ipswich , and especially Mr Gummer's farms!

btw this thing about the Bridge always closing during high winds etc. Yip I get it , regarding lorries and high sided vehicles. But why cant cars cross the bridge , at a reduced speed??

Because the lorry drivers will ignore the warnings and go over anyway.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 16:26 - Jan 16 with 6041 viewsThrobbe

Bribe people with Adidas trainers that double as bus passes.

No, really. https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/jan/16/adidas-eqt-trainers-transport-tic

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 16:37 - Jan 16 with 6011 viewsSarge

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 16:02 - Jan 16 by blue_oyster

The only solution is to restrict private cars into the town. I wonder how many more decades of misery will ensue before they realise this.

Private cars have already been restricted. That's why the town centre is home to crap shops and little else. The fact the town centre is dying is because it's hard to get there because parking is limited and the town planners are, as a whole, more dense than a neutron star.
Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 17:15 - Jan 16 with 5962 viewsblue_oyster

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 16:37 - Jan 16 by Sarge

Private cars have already been restricted. That's why the town centre is home to crap shops and little else. The fact the town centre is dying is because it's hard to get there because parking is limited and the town planners are, as a whole, more dense than a neutron star.

Not just the tiny enclave of the town centre, but the town as a whole. Hence the streams of cars lined up on choking trunk roads and around queueing to get in.

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 17:22 - Jan 16 with 5951 viewsSpruceMoose

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 17:15 - Jan 16 by blue_oyster

Not just the tiny enclave of the town centre, but the town as a whole. Hence the streams of cars lined up on choking trunk roads and around queueing to get in.

Do you not drive then?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 18:02 - Jan 16 with 5912 viewsClapham_Junction

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 16:37 - Jan 16 by Sarge

To be fair, I don't think the town planners have that much influence - we have a quite passive planning system and they're there basically to say yes or no to developers. Also, the planning and transport responsibilities are held by two different authorities (the borough council and the county council), which probably doesn't help matters.

Compare that to somewhere like Germany where a town the size of Sudbury has a team of 10 planners who actively design and plan the town's development and have responsibility for all aspects of planning, not just land use.
Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 18:04 - Jan 16 with 5899 viewsblue_oyster

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 17:22 - Jan 16 by SpruceMoose

Do you not drive then?

Only if I have to. It’s not a leisure pursuit.

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 19:08 - Jan 16 with 5851 viewsstonojnr

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 17:22 - Jan 16 by SpruceMoose

Do you not drive then?

tbf no-one who lives in Ipswich should ever need to drive into Ipswich, even at the boundary edge you are no more than 2-3miles from the actual town centre, and yet people do all the time, and then moan about the traffic and the hold ups, and demand more and more roads are built, whilst not understanding they are as much of the problem as the congestion they moan about.

build a northern bypass, wont make a patch of difference on the amount of traffic sitting on Star Lane
Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 22:53 - Jan 16 with 5681 viewswitchdoctor

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 16:04 - Jan 16 by ITFC_Forever

Because the lorry drivers will ignore the warnings and go over anyway.

not if they were subject to a hefty fine and points on their licence if they chose to do that.
Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 22:58 - Jan 16 with 5668 viewsLord_Lucan

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 19:08 - Jan 16 by stonojnr

tbf no-one who lives in Ipswich should ever need to drive into Ipswich, even at the boundary edge you are no more than 2-3miles from the actual town centre, and yet people do all the time, and then moan about the traffic and the hold ups, and demand more and more roads are built, whilst not understanding they are as much of the problem as the congestion they moan about.

build a northern bypass, wont make a patch of difference on the amount of traffic sitting on Star Lane

Why shouldn't people be able to drive into town when they choose?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 23:04 - Jan 16 with 5654 viewsBackToRussia

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 22:58 - Jan 16 by Lord_Lucan

Why shouldn't people be able to drive into town when they choose?

Because a lot more people live here than they used to, and a lot more of those people as a percentage are car owners, meaning there are simply way, way more cars on the road now than there ever has been. And the roads are basically the same and can't cope with it.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 23:24 - Jan 16 with 5623 viewsLord_Lucan

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 23:04 - Jan 16 by BackToRussia

Because a lot more people live here than they used to, and a lot more of those people as a percentage are car owners, meaning there are simply way, way more cars on the road now than there ever has been. And the roads are basically the same and can't cope with it.

That's a planning problem, not the right to drive your car problem.

People need to get from a - b

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 23:38 - Jan 16 with 5606 viewsBackToRussia

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 23:24 - Jan 16 by Lord_Lucan

That's a planning problem, not the right to drive your car problem.

People need to get from a - b

But there's only an extent to which you can plan. Congestion is just too many people using the system. Look at LA. It's got the stage where there's always going to be queues.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 23:45 - Jan 16 with 5599 viewsLord_Lucan

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 23:38 - Jan 16 by BackToRussia

But there's only an extent to which you can plan. Congestion is just too many people using the system. Look at LA. It's got the stage where there's always going to be queues.

The aforementioned northern bypass would help. A lot of traffic is going through town in order to get to b. If I am going to Nodge I would rather be able to head to Martlesham to get there rather than go towards town.

I still say though you should be able to drive into town should you want to - although to be fair I would be happy to get a taxi if I were just shopping.

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 23:48 - Jan 16 with 5589 viewsBackToRussia

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 23:45 - Jan 16 by Lord_Lucan

The aforementioned northern bypass would help. A lot of traffic is going through town in order to get to b. If I am going to Nodge I would rather be able to head to Martlesham to get there rather than go towards town.

I still say though you should be able to drive into town should you want to - although to be fair I would be happy to get a taxi if I were just shopping.

Yeah building new roads/opening up new routes definitely the way to go. They should build more footbridges to avoid pedestrians stopping traffic too stuff like that. It's bonkers you can stop 50 cars as one pedestrian for a minute.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 23:50 - Jan 16 with 5585 viewsLord_Lucan

Traffic issues in and around Ipswich on 23:48 - Jan 16 by BackToRussia

Yeah building new roads/opening up new routes definitely the way to go. They should build more footbridges to avoid pedestrians stopping traffic too stuff like that. It's bonkers you can stop 50 cars as one pedestrian for a minute.

They should build an underpass system on Princess St near The Curve Bar

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024