Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? 08:03 - Jan 19 with 8635 viewschicoazul

Isnt it 5? So we could have Iorfa, new CB, Connolly, Gleeson, Celina in the team on Saturday.

Is it 2011 again?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:28 - Jan 19 with 2842 viewsPhilTWTD

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:10 - Jan 19 by Radlett_blue

I doubt that. I guess Mick isn't digging in his toes as Smith has been peripheral for the last 2 seasons & we have Chambers, Iorfa, Knudsen, Spence & Webster (when fit) who can all play centre back. However, Evans gets another wage liability of Town's balance sheet plus maybe a small fee.

I doubt the latter is a particular factor as TS will be replaced, albeit by a loan in the shorter term. As Mick said yesterday, TS is behind Chambers and Webster when they're both fit, he wants to play regularly and it's an opportunity he wants to pursue.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:33 - Jan 19 with 2837 viewsElderGrizzly

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:23 - Jan 19 by Johnny_Boy

You are aware that Gleeson has only played 2 more league games than Smith this season. Right?

And only coming in as cover/back-up in central midfield, so not an issue. When others are fit, he won’t play
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:40 - Jan 19 with 2820 viewsJohnny_Boy

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:33 - Jan 19 by ElderGrizzly

And only coming in as cover/back-up in central midfield, so not an issue. When others are fit, he won’t play

It's a short-term fix for the short-term plans of the soon to be departing manager.

Let's just look at it for how it is.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:42 - Jan 19 with 2817 viewschicoazul

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:40 - Jan 19 by Johnny_Boy

It's a short-term fix for the short-term plans of the soon to be departing manager.

Let's just look at it for how it is.

Even if we had just signed a Manager on a 4 year deal this would still be a necessary signing due to our injuries in midfield. Every now and then you need a short term fix.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:53 - Jan 19 with 2797 viewsJohnny_Boy

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:42 - Jan 19 by chicoazul

Even if we had just signed a Manager on a 4 year deal this would still be a necessary signing due to our injuries in midfield. Every now and then you need a short term fix.

Hey, I agree. We need extra midfield options.

It might be an inspired signing, it might not be. Nobody really knows.

But, for someone to be happy for Smith to leave - citing his lack of playing time - but instantly praising Gleeson's arrival - even though his playing time has been similar to Smith (in 17/18 anyway) feels slightly contradictory.

Maybe Gleeson has been injured too. Maybe Gleeson hasn't been in the plans of his manager.
File under Tommy Smith.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:56 - Jan 19 with 2787 viewschicoazul

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:53 - Jan 19 by Johnny_Boy

But, for someone to be happy for Smith to leave - citing his lack of playing time - but instantly praising Gleeson's arrival - even though his playing time has been similar to Smith (in 17/18 anyway) feels slightly contradictory.

Maybe Gleeson has been injured too. Maybe Gleeson hasn't been in the plans of his manager.
File under Tommy Smith.

Who's been doing that?

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:58 - Jan 19 with 2783 viewsJohnny_Boy

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:56 - Jan 19 by chicoazul

Who's been doing that?

Not you. Sorry.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 10:07 - Jan 19 with 2768 viewschicoazul

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:58 - Jan 19 by Johnny_Boy

Not you. Sorry.

OK, so who then?

Login to get fewer ads

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 10:13 - Jan 19 with 2754 viewsJohnny_Boy

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 10:07 - Jan 19 by chicoazul

OK, so who then?

The person who I originally responded to in this thread.

It's all good. He loves me really.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 10:19 - Jan 19 with 2751 viewsSomethingBlue

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:53 - Jan 19 by Johnny_Boy

File under Tommy Smith.

False equivalence.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 11:01 - Jan 19 with 2728 viewsitfcjoe

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:07 - Jan 19 by BloomBlue

I dont understand the fuss. Fans moan when MM doesn't play our youngsters, we have youngsters coming back from injury this gives us a short-term cover and then we'll have the youngsters back

I get the impression a lot of fans talk about the youngsters but really want ME to spend millions on players and couldn't give a fork for the youngsters.

I don't think this is a bad signing, and can understand why we are making it and am happy enough with it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 11:05 - Jan 19 with 2725 viewsitfcjoe

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:10 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

He wants to go and he's not a first team regular here, I imagine he's on a first team wage. He's also barely been fit for the better part of 2 years now. I find it harder to see reasons to keep him. He's been a great servant and deserves the chance to go and play regularly elsewhere.

He's our 3rd choice CB, and Webster has a chequered injury record since joining. If Smith had stayed fit he would have played 20 games last season and a dozen this season already so not like he'd be collecting a 1st team wage whilst well down the pecking order.

It's not unlikely that if Webster gets in and playing like he was before injury that we struggle to keep hold of him in the summer, having Tommy there is a good insurance policy - because the likeliehood we replace him with a short term signing which leaves us another body short in the summer.

It also seems obvious Mick is going, so hard to know where decision making in this matter is coming from.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 11:09 - Jan 19 with 2717 viewsNo9

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:24 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

But it seems like Evans is writing the season off too - we've sold Moore, selling Tommy and it seems obvious that McGoldrick is available - if Bart goes which I'd assume is 50:50ish then that say's a lot. We've got senior players out of contract and it feels very much like a clearing of the decks for the new manager.

Evans can't have it both ways, he can't allow for decks to be cleared whilst targetting the top 6 - it's hard enough as it is but that would make it impossible.

Yep, why give MM anything more than his base requiremnts if he's off
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 11:37 - Jan 19 with 2705 viewsCurrie10

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:22 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Can't see Gleeson or the new CB starting tomorrow, they'll be on the bench. To be fair in 2012 it seemed a deliberate policy to bring in a load of short term mercenaries with a bit of pedigree, at least this time it's been forced on us by the circumstances of a crazy injury crisis and a manager who is probably off in the summer.

Joe, I get that most of the fans have written the season off so would happily see a change of manager now but for ME he'll be looking at us sat just 4 points from the top 6 and thinking we have a chance. A change of manager now would be more likely to hinder than enhance that chance which is why it's not going to happen just yet. To be fair we've never really strengthened in January with permanent signings anyway so any rebuild was always going to wait until the summer.

Oh I think Cameron Carter-Vickers will certainly start tomorrow.

Knudsen / Chambers / Cameron Carter-Vickers / Lorfa
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 11:39 - Jan 19 with 2699 viewsPhilTWTD

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:06 - Jan 19 by JakeITFC

2011 was great because we had 7 loanees at one point.

I think it was actually eight.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 14:52 - Jan 19 with 2655 viewsHerbivore

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:23 - Jan 19 by Johnny_Boy

You are aware that Gleeson has only played 2 more league games than Smith this season. Right?

I'm struggling to see your point here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 14:57 - Jan 19 with 2647 viewsHerbivore

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 10:13 - Jan 19 by Johnny_Boy

The person who I originally responded to in this thread.

It's all good. He loves me really.

You're having a howler. Perhaps your point made sense in your head.

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 16:18 - Jan 19 with 2618 viewsHerbivore

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 10:19 - Jan 19 by SomethingBlue

False equivalence.

Indeed. You may need to explain to him what that means though.

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 16:24 - Jan 19 with 2614 viewsPhilTWTD

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 11:05 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

He's our 3rd choice CB, and Webster has a chequered injury record since joining. If Smith had stayed fit he would have played 20 games last season and a dozen this season already so not like he'd be collecting a 1st team wage whilst well down the pecking order.

It's not unlikely that if Webster gets in and playing like he was before injury that we struggle to keep hold of him in the summer, having Tommy there is a good insurance policy - because the likeliehood we replace him with a short term signing which leaves us another body short in the summer.

It also seems obvious Mick is going, so hard to know where decision making in this matter is coming from.

I think it's difficult to stand in the way of a player when he's offered a move he evidently wants to take, especially a player who isn't in the team having been a regular and one who has been a loyal servant for a decade. All things being equal, I'm sure Mick would have wanted to keep him but not really fair to stand in his way in this instance.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 02:22 - Jan 20 with 2549 viewsJohnny_Boy

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 14:52 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

I'm struggling to see your point here.

A team full of loanee's. It's almost Jewell-esq
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:48 - Jan 20 with 2511 viewsHerbivore

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 02:22 - Jan 20 by Johnny_Boy

A team full of loanee's. It's almost Jewell-esq

Not really, no. We've got four players on loan and two of them (Celina and Connolly) are first team regulars, Iorfa is back up for Spence and the new lad from Spurs will probably be used to rotate the squad a bit and give Webster in particular breaks as he is pretty fragile. That's a far cry from the patchwork of sh!te that Jewell created, not only did we have a silly number of loanees we also had lots of players on short term contracts. The two situations aren't really comparable, Mick inherited a rabble and had to build a squad almost from scratch, whoever replaces Mick in the summer will be inheriting a decent squad.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024