Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Madeira (the country not the cake) 15:50 - Feb 25 with 5615 viewsyorkshireblue

Looking at a week getaway in the summer. Being only a week, likely to stay in Europe and were considering Croatia, Malta and Lake Garda.

However, someone has mentioned Madeira. I'll be honest, I know very little about it. Has anyone been? Would you recommend it?
Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:04 - Feb 25 with 4969 viewsDarth_Koont

Not bad. The walking along the levada aqueduct system is pretty spectacular. But if you're not a fan of walking then pretty limited.

A week is enough to see what the island and Funchal has to offer.

Pronouns: He/Him

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:16 - Feb 25 with 4947 viewsStenvict

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p872044

Great island

Poll: What will be announced first?

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:24 - Feb 25 with 4926 viewsbluejake78

Marlin fishing and going down a cobbled street on your ass.
Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:39 - Feb 25 with 4897 viewsRammo

It depends what type of holiday you're after. The walking is fantastic and there's the day trip to Porto Santo if you want a decent beach but as has been said a week will be enough. Some beautiful churches to see and getting away from the main tourist area allows you to see the true island but it's not full of tourist attractions.

Even when you feel down always remember its just a game.

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:46 - Feb 25 with 4887 viewsyorkshireblue

Cheers for the feedback.

After the last few holidays have been pretty full on, we're looking for something more relaxing this time round.

So I am welcome to any other suggestions people may have. Key criteria being that it's not overtly 'touristy' if that makes sense. It'll just be me and the wife.
Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:52 - Feb 25 with 4874 viewsjas0999

Cyprus is very nice ...

Malta?
Madeira (the country not the cake) on 17:01 - Feb 25 with 4860 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:46 - Feb 25 by yorkshireblue

Cheers for the feedback.

After the last few holidays have been pretty full on, we're looking for something more relaxing this time round.

So I am welcome to any other suggestions people may have. Key criteria being that it's not overtly 'touristy' if that makes sense. It'll just be me and the wife.

Kefalonia, Laid back, relaxing pace of life, Fix beer, great tavernas & very friendly locals.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 17:09 - Feb 25 with 4848 viewsyorkshireblue

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 17:01 - Feb 25 by StochesStotasBlewe

Kefalonia, Laid back, relaxing pace of life, Fix beer, great tavernas & very friendly locals.

Really enjoyed Kefalonia when we went a few years ago. Potentially tempted to return, but the wife would prefer to try somewhere new, but agree - great place
Login to get fewer ads

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 18:48 - Feb 25 with 4775 viewsWestover

Cheers for the feedback.

I'm off to Cabanas in the Algarve tomorrow for a month I go three times a year it's only busy in July and August it's easy to get around and very inexpensive no need for a car lovely walks and fantastic beach,have a look and if you need any info just ask 😎
Madeira (the country not the cake) on 19:10 - Feb 25 with 4744 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Very small runway.

Poll: Best Football Song

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 19:22 - Feb 25 with 4732 viewsRadlett_blue

Cheers for the feedback.

If you want a relaxing week, I think Madeira is near perfect. Weather is reliable, food is good & many restaurants offer great fixed price deals. Plenty of decent hotels on the west side of Funchal, but still only a 20 minutes or so walk downhill into the old town. If you want a really good value hotel, I can recommend the Eden Mar. Definitely worth doing an organised levada walk or two.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:18 - Feb 26 with 4601 viewsBurwell_Blue

I would give Maderia a swerve if I was you. I have been a few times (friends own the Irish Bar in Funchal as well as lots of pubs in Cambridge)-
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189167-d1534427-Reviews-Moyniha and whilst its great to see them, the island is a bit of a bore to be honest.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 16:18]
Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:22 - Feb 26 with 4592 viewstcblue

I want very much to go to the CR7 Museum
Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:30 - Feb 26 with 4584 viewshype313

Forget Lake Garda, go to it's smaller, less crowded brother, Lake Orta.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:45 - Feb 26 with 4574 viewsRyorry

My parents lived there for a few years and I spent a couple of long holidays there in the 80s.

I believe they've extended the airport runway but it's probably still not great for those nervous of flying. Used to be one of the shortest in the world, with the end literally having the sea lapping at it!

No sandy beaches to speak of. Can get humid & hot, but mostly a more temperate island climate than many continental resorts - Atlantic storms & rain are possible at any time of year, sunshine not guaranteed.

It was then a pretty quaint place with quite a high population of elderly people. I'd try to time any holiday there out of synch with any visit by a large cruise liner.

Nicest thing we did was visit the Madeira Wine centre in town, where you can sit at the bar and free sample every one of their quite large range!

The Botanical Gardens were also worth a visit, and there's good walking in the forests away from the coast. But as others have said, a 7-day stay would probably be enough.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 17:03 - Feb 26 with 4553 viewsStenvict

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:22 - Feb 26 by tcblue

I want very much to go to the CR7 Museum

It's nothing special.

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 17:04 - Feb 26 with 4552 viewsStenvict

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:45 - Feb 26 by Ryorry

My parents lived there for a few years and I spent a couple of long holidays there in the 80s.

I believe they've extended the airport runway but it's probably still not great for those nervous of flying. Used to be one of the shortest in the world, with the end literally having the sea lapping at it!

No sandy beaches to speak of. Can get humid & hot, but mostly a more temperate island climate than many continental resorts - Atlantic storms & rain are possible at any time of year, sunshine not guaranteed.

It was then a pretty quaint place with quite a high population of elderly people. I'd try to time any holiday there out of synch with any visit by a large cruise liner.

Nicest thing we did was visit the Madeira Wine centre in town, where you can sit at the bar and free sample every one of their quite large range!

The Botanical Gardens were also worth a visit, and there's good walking in the forests away from the coast. But as others have said, a 7-day stay would probably be enough.

There is 1 sandy beach now that is man made.

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 17:32 - Feb 26 with 4534 viewsRadlett_blue

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:45 - Feb 26 by Ryorry

Madeira's not the place if you're looking for night life, but suits 50-somethings looking for a relaxing break & good food.
Yes, the runway at Funchal has been extended & it's not an especially scary landing, but the airport can be closed during high crosswinds.
Rarely humid in Madeira from my several visits, at a variety of months.
Cruise ships will only be in for a day & yes, best avoid Funchal town on those days.
Agree a week is about right.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 19:41 - Feb 26 with 4489 viewstcblue

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 17:03 - Feb 26 by Stenvict

It's nothing special.

That makes it better!
Madeira (the country not the cake) on 19:46 - Feb 26 with 4478 viewsRyorry

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 17:04 - Feb 26 by Stenvict

There is 1 sandy beach now that is man made.

Ah, cheers for the info.

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 19:48 - Feb 26 with 4476 viewsSpruceMoose

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 16:30 - Feb 26 by hype313

Forget Lake Garda, go to it's smaller, less crowded brother, Lake Orta.

Or even better, Alton Water.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 19:52 - Feb 26 with 4473 viewsRyorry

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 17:32 - Feb 26 by Radlett_blue

Madeira's not the place if you're looking for night life, but suits 50-somethings looking for a relaxing break & good food.
Yes, the runway at Funchal has been extended & it's not an especially scary landing, but the airport can be closed during high crosswinds.
Rarely humid in Madeira from my several visits, at a variety of months.
Cruise ships will only be in for a day & yes, best avoid Funchal town on those days.
Agree a week is about right.

Yes, my "humid" perhaps the wrong word - am thinking of my & parents' experiences of finding clothes going mouldy over a period of time in chests of drawers etc! because of the general high moisture & salt in the atmosphere (they lived on the coast). There was usually a decent breeze going outside so it didn't feel uncomfortably humid to humans.

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 19:54 - Feb 26 with 4469 viewsSpruceMoose

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 19:52 - Feb 26 by Ryorry

Yes, my "humid" perhaps the wrong word - am thinking of my & parents' experiences of finding clothes going mouldy over a period of time in chests of drawers etc! because of the general high moisture & salt in the atmosphere (they lived on the coast). There was usually a decent breeze going outside so it didn't feel uncomfortably humid to humans.

Do you have any insight into whether it might bother a moose?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 19:59 - Feb 26 with 4462 viewsRyorry

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 19:54 - Feb 26 by SpruceMoose

Do you have any insight into whether it might bother a moose?

Considering your breeding, I think you might be better off in Yorkshire with its current snowy -3C

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 20:06 - Feb 26 with 4454 viewsSpruceMoose

Madeira (the country not the cake) on 19:59 - Feb 26 by Ryorry

Considering your breeding, I think you might be better off in Yorkshire with its current snowy -3C

I'm actually from the JungleMoose branch of the Alces alces family tree. I was born with specially adapted antlers that have notches for me to rest sunglasses on.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024