Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we win tonight ... 14:15 - Mar 6 with 6625 viewsSomethingBlue

... it does open the door to the play-off fringes just a tiny bit and would inject some genuine interest into the next two home games, especially given the other fixtures. Hope we can step up; hadn't realised quite how depleted Wednesday were, to be honest, and if we're to make the rest of the season remotely competitive it is an opportunity we have to take.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

If we win tonight ... on 16:34 - Mar 6 with 1991 viewschristiand

If we win tonight ... on 16:28 - Mar 6 by Darth_Koont

But the sides up to 6th aren't all that consistent either. Even Derby and Fulham have a poor run of results in them.

That's why we've kept the same sort of distance over the past few months without ever putting even a good run of results together let alone a great run.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2018 16:29]

Do you really believe that the play offs are possible? Be honest Darth Koont, not simply providing a contrasting view just to keep face. For me the way we play, our lack of goals recently and our patchy form with our inability to string together a consecutive run of victories are the reasons why we won't make the play offs. I know some won't like it, but I feel it is an honest and fair reflection of our side at this moment in time. A top 10 finish should be our aim, it's a more realistic target.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

If we win tonight ... on 16:34 - Mar 6 with 1992 viewsReuser_is_God

If we win tonight ... on 16:18 - Mar 6 by artsbossbeard

I don't think anyone is saying we are, sorry to disappoint.

SB has simply made the point that it's still mathematically possible.

Plus is we did string a few wins together it would be perfectly normal for people to get interested again.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

If we win tonight ... on 16:36 - Mar 6 with 1977 viewsartsbossbeard

If we win tonight ... on 16:28 - Mar 6 by JimmyJazz

I would imagine that it wouldn't change their tune.

Imagine looking back in years to come at a season where we reached the play-offs - so that must have been an exciting season to follow the Town? No, I didn't attend that season because I was having a sulk at whatever I could think of, owner, manager, prices, style of play, state of the roof of the stand.

To the Grand-kids:

"Sit down and let me tell you about the 2017-18 season. Now, Mick McCarthy had upset a few of us fans by playing exactly the same sort of football as the other teams in the league and might have/might have not said a rudey to the away fans. I decided to stay away as a protest and subsequently missed out on a Wembley Final, Promotion, Champions League spot & seeing Cole Skuse picking up the Ballon D'or."

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

If we win tonight ... on 16:37 - Mar 6 with 1968 viewsDarth_Koont

If we win tonight ... on 16:34 - Mar 6 by christiand

Do you really believe that the play offs are possible? Be honest Darth Koont, not simply providing a contrasting view just to keep face. For me the way we play, our lack of goals recently and our patchy form with our inability to string together a consecutive run of victories are the reasons why we won't make the play offs. I know some won't like it, but I feel it is an honest and fair reflection of our side at this moment in time. A top 10 finish should be our aim, it's a more realistic target.

The play-offs are possible but unlikely. And we are where we deserve to be.

We can aim higher than 10th, you're talking more about realistic expectations. But this can always be adjusted upwards if the team starts getting results and grows in confidence. That's the very nature of football especially in the Championship.

Pronouns: He/Him

If we win tonight ... on 16:39 - Mar 6 with 1961 viewsSteve_M

If we win tonight ... on 16:34 - Mar 6 by Reuser_is_God

Plus is we did string a few wins together it would be perfectly normal for people to get interested again.

I thought it was the style of play that was the problem rather than a poor run of home form.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

If we win tonight ... on 17:16 - Mar 6 with 1905 viewstextbackup

If we win tonight ... on 14:28 - Mar 6 by artsbossbeard

I've not bothered looking at the table for a while now and I was amazed to see how for The Owls have dropped down the table when I did check.

I couldn’t believe how high up ‘wall are! They must have spent less than us

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If we win tonight ... on 17:45 - Mar 6 with 1878 viewsBenters2

Lolocopter.
If we win tonight ... on 17:48 - Mar 6 with 1869 viewsBenters2

If we win tonight ... on 15:36 - Mar 6 by artsbossbeard

I'm giggling at the very thought.

Imagine' Mick Out' Wembley banners.

Imagine the 72% of the town fans singing MM your football is sh1t!

Scenes!
Login to get fewer ads

If we win tonight ... on 18:36 - Mar 6 with 1848 viewsWednesdayJon

If we win tonight ... on 15:06 - Mar 6 by Half_Idiot

There are rumours that the "injuries" aren't that at all, and the players out have performance/appearance clauses in their contracts that the owner doesn't want to pay.

A lot of the Owls fans I talk to anticipated a decline in performance this season but I don't think they were expecting it to be this bad.

I get the impression the owner thought he could buy his way to the premier league. That obviously hasn't happened so now he's happy to just let things tick over and hope for a miracle... Sounds familiar.

Sorry mate, but an awful lot of that is utter garbage. You and your Owls supporting mates' are free to believe whatever you like, but it doesn't make it true.
The players out with 'fake-injuries' due to contract clauses is complete and utter crap. I know Owlstalk, like all football messageboards, has it's share of conspiracy theorists, but some of the stuff posted and discussed is just utterly bonkers.

And the Chaiman wanting out stuff likewise. This man is from a very very wealthy family, and is in to Wednesday (he says he bought the club for his young son!) to the tune of £100mill, and has made mistakes during his two year tenure. But wanting out? Not a chance. . . . But, he has made commercial and football mistakes since he's been here, and obviously now has to change tack due to potential future problems with ffp. Probably wrongly, he has refused every bid received for players. We haven't sold one single player since he took over. Likewise, he's kept the majority of our current crop of promising youngsters. We could have quadrupled our money on Forestieri alone, but he hasn't YET sold a single player. Another fact which doesn't fit the wanting out conspiracy theory, is the fact that a lot of the money he has spent has gone on things which have zero chance of short term return, like the academy (which had been left to ruination fir previous 15 or so years), a mill on a new pitch and a further mill or so on a bloody scoreboard!

We'll see, but yes, this season has been a disaster.

And in terms of spending big money to try and get out of this division (particularly those clubs without parachute payments), which of the clubs promoted in recent history haven't? . . . Probably only Huddersfield could claim to have done it 'on the cheap'. Others, like Bournemouth and Brighton, invested much, much, more heavily than Wednesday, and hade they not got promoted would have been totally screwed. Wolves this season spent massively, (and in hindsight wisely) but would have been screwed for years had they failed.

I'd love to believe that promotion could be achieved without massive financial speculation, but, sadly, by and large (excluding plucky Huddersfield) it's not!

Anyway, in to tonights match ....
If we win tonight ... on 18:43 - Mar 6 with 1832 viewsSomethingBlue

If we win tonight ... on 18:36 - Mar 6 by WednesdayJon

Sorry mate, but an awful lot of that is utter garbage. You and your Owls supporting mates' are free to believe whatever you like, but it doesn't make it true.
The players out with 'fake-injuries' due to contract clauses is complete and utter crap. I know Owlstalk, like all football messageboards, has it's share of conspiracy theorists, but some of the stuff posted and discussed is just utterly bonkers.

And the Chaiman wanting out stuff likewise. This man is from a very very wealthy family, and is in to Wednesday (he says he bought the club for his young son!) to the tune of £100mill, and has made mistakes during his two year tenure. But wanting out? Not a chance. . . . But, he has made commercial and football mistakes since he's been here, and obviously now has to change tack due to potential future problems with ffp. Probably wrongly, he has refused every bid received for players. We haven't sold one single player since he took over. Likewise, he's kept the majority of our current crop of promising youngsters. We could have quadrupled our money on Forestieri alone, but he hasn't YET sold a single player. Another fact which doesn't fit the wanting out conspiracy theory, is the fact that a lot of the money he has spent has gone on things which have zero chance of short term return, like the academy (which had been left to ruination fir previous 15 or so years), a mill on a new pitch and a further mill or so on a bloody scoreboard!

We'll see, but yes, this season has been a disaster.

And in terms of spending big money to try and get out of this division (particularly those clubs without parachute payments), which of the clubs promoted in recent history haven't? . . . Probably only Huddersfield could claim to have done it 'on the cheap'. Others, like Bournemouth and Brighton, invested much, much, more heavily than Wednesday, and hade they not got promoted would have been totally screwed. Wolves this season spent massively, (and in hindsight wisely) but would have been screwed for years had they failed.

I'd love to believe that promotion could be achieved without massive financial speculation, but, sadly, by and large (excluding plucky Huddersfield) it's not!

Anyway, in to tonights match ....

Thanks for this — all interesting. Am I right in thinking (and I may not be) that earlier this season the chairman effectively held a gun to the fans' heads: pay more or I have to scale things back, effectively?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

If we win tonight ... on 22:21 - Mar 6 with 1787 viewsRyorry

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

If we win tonight ... on 13:53 - Mar 7 with 1692 viewsCurrie10

If we win tonight ... on 15:28 - Mar 6 by ITFC_Forever

Even if we win them all, we will in all likelihood still be 3 / 4 / 5 points of the POs.

That would put us on a run of 4 wins, double anything we have managed all season, so I'm not holding my breath - then we'll still need to put together another similar run to get in the POs and then maintain decent form for the rest of the season.

If 75 points is the usual benchmark to reach the POs, we need to win another 27 points between now and the end of the season (12 games) - that's an average of 2.25 points per game. No chance.

If we win them all we'd definitely be in the play offs for my ££££ which we clearly won't.

51 + 33 = 84 point season total.

You really feel 84 points won't be enough!?
If we win tonight ... on 14:15 - Mar 7 with 1672 viewsDarth_Koont

If we win tonight ... on 13:53 - Mar 7 by Currie10

If we win them all we'd definitely be in the play offs for my ££££ which we clearly won't.

51 + 33 = 84 point season total.

You really feel 84 points won't be enough!?

I think he was answering the OP who was looking at the next three games (incl. Sheff Weds).

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024