Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to buy a watch 08:23 - Mar 21 with 78131 viewsJakeITFC

Any recommendations of brands to go for or avoid?

Looking to spend <£1k so am I better to look second hand for a better brand on Watchfinder or buy a top end model from a lesser brand? Any up and comers you’d recommend?

In terms of model I’m thinking a sports type watch - Rolex Seamaster type thing.
Looking to buy a watch on 10:44 - Mar 25 with 2733 viewsbenno1uk

Looking to buy a watch on 11:29 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

It's not something I do regularly and IS something I consider a treat. You're missing the point about normality. It's normal as in THAT'S WHAT IT IS. That IS the price (and often more) in central London restaurants. There's no discussion on whether it's normal or not. It's a fact.

I appreciate other people can't afford that but that's a million miles away from the point.

People having treats within their means is one thing. It's a meal. We have to eat. It's just nice having a really good one, compared to what you're used to, sometimes. I wouldn't begrudge a wealthy person paying way more than that for their own version of a treat.

That's a million miles away from someone spending thousands on a watch. Someone above was talking about £10k for a watch. That is OBSCENE IMO. The £90 meal is likely worth that price compared to a meal in McDonalds. How can you justify that the £10k watch is THAT much better than Ryorry's £30 watch? They both do exactly the same thing. Glassers has even admitted that Rolex's aren't even very good at telling the time. THEIR ONE JOB!!

Frankly, I'm struggling to see how YOU'RE struggling to see the difference.

Having a nice meal isn't a status symbol that you show off to others. Only the person or people you're with (plus the waiter) sees it. A flashy watch isn't even there for the necessity of telling the time (we all have a phone that does that). It's purely there for SHOW. That's the difference. I don't eat a nice meal for show.

It's interesting that TWTD, once again, descends into an ad hominem argument. I had a nice meal once, so I can't say spending thousands on a watch is wrong. I write Haribo ads, so I can't say McDonalds food isn't healthy. I think "No ad hominem argumentative strategies" should be in Phil's Ts & Cs for this site!

If the £90 pound meal isn't a status symbol why do you keep going on about it? You clearly are proud of the fact it cost £90 and like to laud it over everyone. Therefore you are using it to show you somehow superior to others. That's no different to someone wearing a £10k watch rather than a Casio. By your argument they both do the same job but one is perceived as being superior to the other.

Of course that argument could be levelled at many things. Why buy a Porsche when a Honda Civic is just as reliable and get you from A to B just as well. Why buy a branded t-shirt? One from Asda does the same job. The fact is that some people like to treat themselves, and there is a good feeling that comes from owning something that is perceived as a luxury item.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 10:45]
Looking to buy a watch on 10:51 - Mar 25 with 2721 viewstcblue

When the human race is finally being wiped out by the apes, the last few humans on the planet will look at this thread and say "yep, fair enough"
Looking to buy a watch on 10:55 - Mar 25 with 2716 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 10:44 - Mar 25 by benno1uk

If the £90 pound meal isn't a status symbol why do you keep going on about it? You clearly are proud of the fact it cost £90 and like to laud it over everyone. Therefore you are using it to show you somehow superior to others. That's no different to someone wearing a £10k watch rather than a Casio. By your argument they both do the same job but one is perceived as being superior to the other.

Of course that argument could be levelled at many things. Why buy a Porsche when a Honda Civic is just as reliable and get you from A to B just as well. Why buy a branded t-shirt? One from Asda does the same job. The fact is that some people like to treat themselves, and there is a good feeling that comes from owning something that is perceived as a luxury item.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 10:45]

*I* don't keep banging on about the £90 meal! Other people have used it as a stick to beat me with after I mentioned the price ONCE in a restaurant review! I haven't used it to laud it over anyone. Nor was it brought up by me in this thread.

This is all in the thread. Try reading it before steaming in.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 10:57 - Mar 25 with 2713 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 10:51 - Mar 25 by tcblue

When the human race is finally being wiped out by the apes, the last few humans on the planet will look at this thread and say "yep, fair enough"

Here's another 'too cool for school' type.

Once again, if you're so much above this sort of thing why are you reading it and posting on it?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 11:01 - Mar 25 with 2699 viewstcblue

Looking to buy a watch on 10:57 - Mar 25 by BrixtonBlue

Here's another 'too cool for school' type.

Once again, if you're so much above this sort of thing why are you reading it and posting on it?

I'm reading the thread because I'm interested in watches, as I made clear in my first post on this thread before you sh*t all over it and made it about 'this sort of thing'.
Looking to buy a watch on 11:10 - Mar 25 with 2686 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:01 - Mar 25 by tcblue

I'm reading the thread because I'm interested in watches, as I made clear in my first post on this thread before you sh*t all over it and made it about 'this sort of thing'.

Before I "sh*t all over it and made it about 'this sort of thing'"?!

A quick glance back shows you arrived at the thread 6 and a half pages in, when the debate was already well under way.

Having an opinion isn't "sh*itting all over" something, which is all I've had in this thread. You are free to engage with the debate, offer your own opinion and persuade me I'm wrong if you so wish.

You think it's been shat over. I think it's an interesting debate which I've learnt a few things from.

Looking to buy a watch on 11:12 - Mar 25 with 2679 viewsbenno1uk

Looking to buy a watch on 10:55 - Mar 25 by BrixtonBlue

*I* don't keep banging on about the £90 meal! Other people have used it as a stick to beat me with after I mentioned the price ONCE in a restaurant review! I haven't used it to laud it over anyone. Nor was it brought up by me in this thread.

I'm not 'steaming in'. The OP just wanted some advice on buying a nice watch. Ohers gave him advice. Why do you feel the need to judge them just because you don't agree with buying an expensive watch? So what if someone wants to buy an expensive watch?
Looking to buy a watch on 11:16 - Mar 25 with 2674 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:12 - Mar 25 by benno1uk

I'm not 'steaming in'. The OP just wanted some advice on buying a nice watch. Ohers gave him advice. Why do you feel the need to judge them just because you don't agree with buying an expensive watch? So what if someone wants to buy an expensive watch?

Just an opinion. I'm not the only one to have it. Feel free to disagree if you want.

I assume you've now agreed with me that I didn't bring up the £90 meal and I don't bang on about it?

Login to get fewer ads

Looking to buy a watch on 11:31 - Mar 25 with 2660 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Looking to buy a watch on 10:09 - Mar 25 by BrixtonBlue

"Much nicer" is subjective. One of the expensive ones linked to earlier looked very plain to me. Another (that someone else said they didn't like, can't remember who) looked ugly to me.

I don't know what the service and drinks charge is as you didn't offer that information, so how do you expect me to include it?

Nevertheless, in the food example the difference still remains pounds. With watches it's thousands and even tens of thousands.

As for you coming back with more expensive meal options - it was YOU that set the bar! You chose the Fat Duck as the most expensive you could think of. I haven't even scraped the surface with watches. As I'm sure you know, some go into the hundreds of thousands!

p.s. I didn't do the % as I'm rubbish at maths and don't know how to work it out!
p.p.s. Apologies if any of this comes across as aggressive, it doesn't mean to be.

Of course it’s subjective. Some expensive watches you’ll still think look crap, some expensive meals you’d eat and wonder what the fuss is about

My post at 21:42 yesterday stated the Fat Duck was £325 plus service charge and drinks, but no worries if you missed that

Of course it’s pounds as it’s a lower cost base item. The difference for houses is even bigger - millions in some instances - but that doesn’t mean buying a larger house is even more ludicrous

Chose the Fat Duck as the first place that came into my head and I couldn’t be ars*d to research the worlds most expensive plate of food - comment was more to just illustrate scale

You do come across as aggressive - but don’t worry I know you don’t mean it 😂
[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 11:33]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Looking to buy a watch on 11:35 - Mar 25 with 2652 viewsJ2BLUE

Looking to buy a watch on 10:12 - Mar 25 by BrixtonBlue

He's just said he does 7/8 gardens. Why can't you just accept what people tell you?

Because he's stealing Benters' work and he doesn't even have the decency to be a Polish immigrant!

Not supposed to happen to God's own in dear old Blighty. Balls. End of.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looking to buy a watch on 11:53 - Mar 25 with 2631 viewsBenters2

Looking to buy a watch on 10:12 - Mar 25 by BrixtonBlue

He's just said he does 7/8 gardens. Why can't you just accept what people tell you?

Come on then Shakespeare, you tell this poor old land hand when the Lad from Romford manages to do this 7/8 gardens?

1.He is on here all night he admitted himself his sleep pattern is up the creek so to speak,so he sleeps during the day.

2.How does he get his tools about to each garden?He doesnt drive.He doesnt own a Pickup.

3.Im calling it out as horsesh1t tbh.
Looking to buy a watch on 11:54 - Mar 25 with 2623 viewsBenters2

Looking to buy a watch on 11:35 - Mar 25 by J2BLUE

Because he's stealing Benters' work and he doesn't even have the decency to be a Polish immigrant!

He isnt stealing my work at all as he doesnt work.

End of.

Balls.

Rule Britannia.
Looking to buy a watch on 11:57 - Mar 25 with 2615 viewsJ2BLUE

Looking to buy a watch on 11:53 - Mar 25 by Benters2

Come on then Shakespeare, you tell this poor old land hand when the Lad from Romford manages to do this 7/8 gardens?

1.He is on here all night he admitted himself his sleep pattern is up the creek so to speak,so he sleeps during the day.

2.How does he get his tools about to each garden?He doesnt drive.He doesnt own a Pickup.

If he's going to make something up it's not going to be about how many gardens he does.

My dad used to do something similar. He had his own tools but a lot of the time he was doing the work for older ladies whose partners had died or elderly couples and they had their own tools which he used. He then charged them less if he used their petrol mower etc.

Truly impaired.

Looking to buy a watch on 11:58 - Mar 25 with 2610 viewsJ2BLUE

Looking to buy a watch on 11:54 - Mar 25 by Benters2

End of.

Balls.

Rule Britannia.

Whatever helps you sleep mate.

Truly impaired.

Looking to buy a watch on 11:58 - Mar 25 with 2608 viewsBenters2

Looking to buy a watch on 10:55 - Mar 25 by BrixtonBlue

I am still amazed you went to this fancy restaurant paid £90 it must have had something more interesting than bangers and mash ffs!
Looking to buy a watch on 12:01 - Mar 25 with 2592 viewsBenters2

Looking to buy a watch on 11:58 - Mar 25 by J2BLUE

Whatever helps you sleep mate.

You make me want to go to sleep for a long time x
Looking to buy a watch on 12:20 - Mar 25 with 2561 viewseireblue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:54 - Mar 25 by Benters2

End of.

Balls.

Rule Britannia.

You are funny.

Every so often you post how people look down at you for being a gardener, which they don't, and now you are looking down on a teenager that does gardening, but slightly less of it.

Who knew there was snobbery between gardeners?

Do qualified horticulturists, snigger when you tell them you have a "round"?
Looking to buy a watch on 12:28 - Mar 25 with 2552 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Ok please stop now......there are watch adverts everywhere.....talk about expensive women or something! (Or even cheap ones!)

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Looking to buy a watch on 12:30 - Mar 25 with 2550 viewseireblue

Looking to buy a watch on 12:28 - Mar 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

Ok please stop now......there are watch adverts everywhere.....talk about expensive women or something! (Or even cheap ones!)

You mean something like, how do you know if you a Russian bride loves you or your Rolex?
Looking to buy a watch on 12:32 - Mar 25 with 2547 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:31 - Mar 25 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Of course it’s subjective. Some expensive watches you’ll still think look crap, some expensive meals you’d eat and wonder what the fuss is about

My post at 21:42 yesterday stated the Fat Duck was £325 plus service charge and drinks, but no worries if you missed that

Of course it’s pounds as it’s a lower cost base item. The difference for houses is even bigger - millions in some instances - but that doesn’t mean buying a larger house is even more ludicrous

Chose the Fat Duck as the first place that came into my head and I couldn’t be ars*d to research the worlds most expensive plate of food - comment was more to just illustrate scale

You do come across as aggressive - but don’t worry I know you don’t mean it 😂
[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 11:33]

I didn't miss the service charge and drinks line. You haven't stated what they are so how can I include them in the figures?

Anyway, we shall have to agree to disagree. I can see where you're coming from but I still think the scale is all important. An interesting debate but I'm afraid no-ones been able to convince me that wearing a watch that costs thousands of pounds isn't crass and vulgar.

Don't get me started on houses!

Looking to buy a watch on 12:34 - Mar 25 with 2543 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:35 - Mar 25 by J2BLUE

It's probably Jeremy Corbyn's fault.

Looking to buy a watch on 12:38 - Mar 25 with 2539 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why on Earth would someone make that up?

When does he do it? You've stated yourself he doesn't have a job!

He has stated recently that his sleep pattern is good now (I've chatted to him via PM about it and offered some advice).

Maybe the people have their own tools in their shed?

I dunno why I'm bothering frankly, as always your mind is already made up.

Looking to buy a watch on 12:42 - Mar 25 with 2535 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:58 - Mar 25 by Benters2

I am still amazed you went to this fancy restaurant paid £90 it must have had something more interesting than bangers and mash ffs!

Jesus Christ, give it a rest. I've explained countless times what the meal was. It was YOU that called it bangers and mash due to your ignorance.

Try and have a day when you're not a cretin, eh?

Looking to buy a watch on 12:43 - Mar 25 with 2533 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 12:20 - Mar 25 by eireblue

You are funny.

Every so often you post how people look down at you for being a gardener, which they don't, and now you are looking down on a teenager that does gardening, but slightly less of it.

Who knew there was snobbery between gardeners?

Do qualified horticulturists, snigger when you tell them you have a "round"?

Hahahahahaha.

Looking to buy a watch on 15:26 - Mar 25 with 2479 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

1) I don’t sleep during the day.

2) Don’t be ridiculous. Of course I don’t take my own lawn mower with me. I take a pair of gardening gloves and a couple of little things but use the mowers already at the houses. I think you are making this into way more than I’m telling you so you can pretend it doesn’t happen. I’m not sure what the problem is?

3) It’s fine. I’ll take over your round in a few years just to f*ck you off. It’s funny that if you think I’d lie about something, it would be about poxy gardening. Give over.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 15:27]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024