Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marriott 08:24 - Apr 10 with 6517 viewsHerbivore

McCarthy: Ex-Blues Striker Marriott Was Disgraceful Pre-Season Prior to Town Exit 9th Apr 2018 19:13
Town boss Mick McCarthy says former Blues striker Jack Marriott, now with Peterborough and the top scorer in League One, was “disgraceful” and unfit when he came back for pre-season in 2014, the summer prior to his final season at Portman Road. 54

I think that article sums up why he was let go when he was. Right decision for all parties.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Marriott on 08:26 - Apr 10 with 4419 viewsRadlett_blue

Although Mick said the exact opposite in August 2014:
http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/ipswich-town-striker-jack-marriott-is-le

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Marriott on 08:31 - Apr 10 with 4396 viewsHerbivore

Marriott on 08:26 - Apr 10 by Radlett_blue

Although Mick said the exact opposite in August 2014:
http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/ipswich-town-striker-jack-marriott-is-le

He must have looked like a Weeble in 2013 in that case.

Marriott on 08:31 - Apr 10 with 4396 viewsartsbossbeard

I think bingboast could actually make it to forum levels. Worth a shot, I reckon.

"peteswindon, how true your comments, how they can call themselves fans I dont know. They are all so talented, man management skills, football coaching, financial management but they all share MM lack of diplomacy & common sense. "

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Marriott on 08:35 - Apr 10 with 4381 viewsHerbivore

Marriott on 08:31 - Apr 10 by artsbossbeard

I think bingboast could actually make it to forum levels. Worth a shot, I reckon.

"peteswindon, how true your comments, how they can call themselves fans I dont know. They are all so talented, man management skills, football coaching, financial management but they all share MM lack of diplomacy & common sense. "

I noticed one of the self-professed forum 'experts' on there commenting that Mick should have sent him out on loan or played him in the reserves if he'd come back out of shape. That's exactly what Mick did. Marriott had a poor season out on loan and was miles from our side, which had just finished top 6. Best for all parties that he left when he did.

Marriott on 08:38 - Apr 10 with 4363 viewsartsbossbeard

Marriott on 08:35 - Apr 10 by Herbivore

I noticed one of the self-professed forum 'experts' on there commenting that Mick should have sent him out on loan or played him in the reserves if he'd come back out of shape. That's exactly what Mick did. Marriott had a poor season out on loan and was miles from our side, which had just finished top 6. Best for all parties that he left when he did.

I'm surprised that Mick isn't getting blamed for the Sailsbury poisonings, the attacks in Syria & Brexit.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Marriott on 08:42 - Apr 10 with 4343 viewsHerbivore

Marriott on 08:38 - Apr 10 by artsbossbeard

I'm surprised that Mick isn't getting blamed for the Sailsbury poisonings, the attacks in Syria & Brexit.

Give it time, they are gradually rewriting the last 5 years but a lot has happened in that time so it'll take a while.

Marriott on 08:56 - Apr 10 with 4281 viewsJimmy86

Marriott on 08:38 - Apr 10 by artsbossbeard

Bloody hell, have a day off....

Most sensible people know that, by and large, Mick has done a good job with what he's had at his disposal and understand the constraints he has worked under. He's kept us competitive on a shoe string budget and had his over achieving compared to our budget. He should be commended for that big time.

Mick though has been his own worst enemy at times. Yes his honesty is refreshing and sometimes people, who have dished it out have got very offended all of a sudden when he gives a bit back, but this is now a broken relationship.

If Mick had have done things slightly differently then Evans would rightly be in the firing line and not Mick so much. Plus above all else its his pragmatic, defend first and foremost, at all costs that has rankled the most. The Ryan Fraser, Eddie Howe story is absolutely telling and you know exactly who drummed that into him.

Mick isn't to blame for everything and has generally done a good job, all things considered. Saying that, he isn't without fault either...
Marriott on 09:04 - Apr 10 with 4253 viewsartsbossbeard

Marriott on 08:56 - Apr 10 by Jimmy86

Most sensible people know that, by and large, Mick has done a good job with what he's had at his disposal and understand the constraints he has worked under. He's kept us competitive on a shoe string budget and had his over achieving compared to our budget. He should be commended for that big time.

Mick though has been his own worst enemy at times. Yes his honesty is refreshing and sometimes people, who have dished it out have got very offended all of a sudden when he gives a bit back, but this is now a broken relationship.

If Mick had have done things slightly differently then Evans would rightly be in the firing line and not Mick so much. Plus above all else its his pragmatic, defend first and foremost, at all costs that has rankled the most. The Ryan Fraser, Eddie Howe story is absolutely telling and you know exactly who drummed that into him.

Mick isn't to blame for everything and has generally done a good job, all things considered. Saying that, he isn't without fault either...

I'm all up for debate on Mick and I'm in agreement that it's his time to go.

After Saturday at Brentford and on here everything has gotten spun into Mick being to blame for all the ills at the club and beyond.

The chance to have a belated dig about the supposed poor treatment of Marriott hasn't been missed.

As long as peeps sprout sh1te, I'll counter. Fair enough?

Login to get fewer ads

Marriott on 09:06 - Apr 10 with 4236 viewsMullet

Marriott on 08:56 - Apr 10 by Jimmy86

It's not really the sensible people that are the issue though is it?

Interesting that this Marriott thing is being pushed now, and I wonder where it all came from?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Marriott on 09:10 - Apr 10 with 4203 viewsnshearman1

Marriott on 09:06 - Apr 10 by Mullet

Interesting that this Marriott thing is being pushed now, and I wonder where it all came from?

Agree with Jimmy86. Maybe I'm missing something but here's nothing on this thread I can see or elsewhere in which people have countered what Mick's said or spoken sh*te. Feels like another case of making up a crazy argument then arguing against it. Where is this Marriott thing coming from, apart from this thread?
Marriott on 09:12 - Apr 10 with 4197 viewsitfcjoe

Despite conflicting comments in August 2014, which was presumably the pre season Mick was talking about?

I'd guess both the fitter, leaner and getting lapped in pre season comments are big exaggerations and he sat somewhere in the middle.

Marriott was unlucky that Evans wasn't interested in the academy when he was coming through, if he was a couple of years later he'd have been given opportunities as part of the 5 year plan which has seen the make up of the squad alter.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Marriott on 09:15 - Apr 10 with 4172 viewsSteve_M

Actually Mick brought it up in the discussion about Kieffer Moore. Said letting Marriott go was a unanimous decision although the ultimate word was his. Gist was that JM needed to go out and play regularly and has worked his way back to a good level which MM was pleased about. He didn't quite say he regretted it but still thought it right decision at time.

Having listened to it, I then noted that Watson had picked the most negative slant to lead on.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Marriott on 09:16 - Apr 10 with 4163 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good question. No logical reason for it being pushed now as far as I'm aware. It's not as if they're our next opponents or anything like that.

I'm watching with some bemusement. Easy enough in hindsight to say we should have kept him but I don't remember it being a clear cut case back then. Mick could only work with the information he had at the time and if he had to let players go to bring targets in, it's no surprise he'd get rid of someone who appeared to be not looking after themselves as expected. He was always a goal scorer, but much like Rhodes maybe he needed to move on to find his feet?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Marriott on 09:16 - Apr 10 with 4161 viewsMullet

Marriott on 09:10 - Apr 10 by nshearman1

Agree with Jimmy86. Maybe I'm missing something but here's nothing on this thread I can see or elsewhere in which people have countered what Mick's said or spoken sh*te. Feels like another case of making up a crazy argument then arguing against it. Where is this Marriott thing coming from, apart from this thread?

Watson and yesterday's press conference it seems. Seems a typical dig thread or two and a news story between now and then.

Marriott, (not to dig him out) isn't even the most impressive striker Posh have had it seems. Saw a great graphic saying he is something like their 5th quickest striker in recent years to so many goals. CMS being the quickest and at Champ level.

I think it's great he's sorted himself out and got a career lower down the pyramid so far. Too many bitter fans about it seems like to champion stuff like this. Can only be because they know they need to search a bit to get their digs in.

Marriott on 09:18 - Apr 10 with 4149 viewsRadlett_blue

Marriott on 09:16 - Apr 10 by Mullet

Watson and yesterday's press conference it seems. Seems a typical dig thread or two and a news story between now and then.

Marriott, (not to dig him out) isn't even the most impressive striker Posh have had it seems. Saw a great graphic saying he is something like their 5th quickest striker in recent years to so many goals. CMS being the quickest and at Champ level.

I think it's great he's sorted himself out and got a career lower down the pyramid so far. Too many bitter fans about it seems like to champion stuff like this. Can only be because they know they need to search a bit to get their digs in.

Understandably, it's now open season on Mick. It's like a couple who have agreed to divorce, but are still living under the same roof. He keeps sniping so some of us have a go back in return.
The sooner this season ends, the better - as long as we get a new manager in & then have some sort of sense of direction.

Marriott on 09:18 - Apr 10 with 4150 viewsMullet

Marriott on 09:15 - Apr 10 by Steve_M

Actually Mick brought it up in the discussion about Kieffer Moore. Said letting Marriott go was a unanimous decision although the ultimate word was his. Gist was that JM needed to go out and play regularly and has worked his way back to a good level which MM was pleased about. He didn't quite say he regretted it but still thought it right decision at time.

Having listened to it, I then noted that Watson had picked the most negative slant to lead on.

Odd to note who praises him so much, who tweets similar things to that which appear in his round ups and how often he does that to get clicks.

Massive shame we have such divisiveness from the local media. They did Jim, and from them on in have been a significant factor in stirring up sh1t over and over again since.

Marriott on 09:19 - Apr 10 with 4144 viewsHerbivore

Marriott on 09:12 - Apr 10 by itfcjoe

Despite conflicting comments in August 2014, which was presumably the pre season Mick was talking about?

I'd guess both the fitter, leaner and getting lapped in pre season comments are big exaggerations and he sat somewhere in the middle.

Marriott was unlucky that Evans wasn't interested in the academy when he was coming through, if he was a couple of years later he'd have been given opportunities as part of the 5 year plan which has seen the make up of the squad alter.

I know we have differing views on this so it's not worth us going hugely back and forth over it, but for me I still struggle to see how a new contract would have been justified in 2015. He was 21, coming off the back of a number of unsuccessful loan spells and just had the look of drifting to the end of his time here (which Mick's comments seem to back up).

We had just finished top 6, Sears had come in and ripped it up from January that year and we were bringing in Pitman too. On paper our options up front looked immense. He was an absolute mile from the first team picture through a combination of him not kicking on and our own circumstances at the time. Fair play that he's made the most of his opportunities since but for me this looks like it was entirely the right decision at the time for all concerned.

Marriott on 09:21 - Apr 10 with 4124 viewsSuperfrans

To be fair to Watson, Phil also took this angle yesterday. It also jumped out from the interview yesterday.

McCarthy: Ex-Blues Striker Marriott Was Disgraceful Pre-Season Prior to Town Exit 9th Apr 2018 19:13
Town boss Mick McCarthy says former Blues striker Jack Marriott, now with Peterborough and the top scorer in League One, was “disgraceful” and unfit when he came back for pre-season in 2014, the summer prior to his final season at Portman Road. 54

Fact is, there is a group of our fans who will jump on anything as evidence of, a, Mick being crap at everything, b, them being superior to other fans in noticing this.

I'm frankly bored with it and am pursuing a general pub strategy. If I hear (or see) someone spouting rubbish somewhere, I turn away and leave them to their ignorance. There are some incredibly stupid people on here and they seem extremely enthusiastic about demonstrating it.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 9:23]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Marriott on 09:23 - Apr 10 with 4111 viewsHerbivore

The comments on the TWTD article are pretty staggering too. Seems we have a lot of ITFC youth coaches amongst the news commenters who could clearly see that despite evidence to the contrary all he needed was a manager other than Mick and he'd have transformed into a £10m striker here.

Marriott on 09:23 - Apr 10 with 4110 viewsMullet

Marriott on 09:21 - Apr 10 by Superfrans

To be fair to Watson, Phil also took this angle yesterday. It also jumped out from the interview yesterday.

Fact is, there is a group of our fans who will jump on anything as evidence of, a, Mick being crap at everything, b, them being superior to other fans in noticing this.

I'm frankly bored with it and am pursuing a general pub strategy. If I hear (or see) someone spouting rubbish somewhere, I turn away and leave them to their ignorance. There are some incredibly stupid people on here and they seem extremely enthusiastic about demonstrating it.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 9:23]

Marriott on 09:23 - Apr 10 with 4104 viewsRadlett_blue

Marriott on 09:18 - Apr 10 by Mullet

Odd to note who praises him so much, who tweets similar things to that which appear in his round ups and how often he does that to get clicks.

Massive shame we have such divisiveness from the local media. They did Jim, and from them on in have been a significant factor in stirring up sh1t over and over again since.

I don't think Evans would have kept Jim on, irrespective of what the local media said. He inherited Jim as a manager & I don't blame him for deciding he hadn't done enough with his bigger budget to justify retention.

Marriott on 09:26 - Apr 10 with 4080 viewsSuperfrans

Marriott on 09:23 - Apr 10 by Mullet

I'm not saying Watson hasn't covered this story (as any journalist would), but that Phil covered it yesterday too. It was also the most quotable item from yesterday's press conference - imo, as a former journalist.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Marriott on 09:26 - Apr 10 with 4079 viewshype313

Marriott on 09:23 - Apr 10 by Radlett_blue

I don't think Evans would have kept Jim on, irrespective of what the local media said. He inherited Jim as a manager & I don't blame him for deciding he hadn't done enough with his bigger budget to justify retention.

Indeed, also bear in mind Jim was a cheap option for Sheepy at a time when we were skint, so understandably Evans thought someone with experience not only with promotion, but also track record of spending some money was a better option in his plan. Obviously that didn't pan out, but much like the Marriot situation, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Marriott on 09:27 - Apr 10 with 4072 viewsMullet

Marriott on 09:23 - Apr 10 by Radlett_blue

No manager lives forever. But the perception/vitriol was needlessly stoked by the local media. Rich on Radio Suffolk weekly being another good example, because it made for easy content that got attention.

It's the Leeds-lite manner that has escalated in that time that bothers me.

Marriott on 09:29 - Apr 10 with 4068 viewsitfcjoe

Marriott on 09:19 - Apr 10 by Herbivore

I know we have differing views on this so it's not worth us going hugely back and forth over it, but for me I still struggle to see how a new contract would have been justified in 2015. He was 21, coming off the back of a number of unsuccessful loan spells and just had the look of drifting to the end of his time here (which Mick's comments seem to back up).

We had just finished top 6, Sears had come in and ripped it up from January that year and we were bringing in Pitman too. On paper our options up front looked immense. He was an absolute mile from the first team picture through a combination of him not kicking on and our own circumstances at the time. Fair play that he's made the most of his opportunities since but for me this looks like it was entirely the right decision at the time for all concerned.

My main issue isn't that he got released when he did, it was that he got to that point without getting the opportunities his form in the U21s and his initial loan spells had deserved.

By the time he left it was the right decision because he was going nowhere here, but it should never have happened like that.

Players that have done far less have had far more opportunities - some of that is bad luck, but I think in JMs case a key reason was because at the time the academy wasn't being prioirtised like it has been since - and the standard was deemed low in the U21s league when it is not really any different to know, it was just new.

Some games stick out, but I remember seeing him as an 18 year old score a hat trick against an experienced Barnet side - for his final goal he trampled over Jon Fortune who had been trying to bully him all game and smashed it home so confidently - it was a performance you just couldn't fail to notice. It was like this every week for a while and he carried that into his first loan spell with Woking.

When a club as limited financially as ours produces a player like that then they have to get a fair opportunity if we are to succeed, he made his debut at Burnley on the last day of the season and then didn't go on tour with the first team so we could take Michael Chopra who was released when we got back. There are a number of little issues where he wasn't given the correct opportunity - especially when you see how others are now pushed on as Evans has prioritised the academy.

Right player, wrong time for ITFC - but delighted he is aming a success of things elsewhere because he is a player I loved watching and still enjoy when I've seen him for Peterborough (even when he scored against us in pre season!)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024