Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) 12:27 - May 22 with 5327 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Who else? (n/t) on 12:29 - May 22 with 3108 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:29 - May 22 with 3108 viewsYallop

I'd have preferred he was left to just scorning goals but their were no real other option.

In saying that I'd have plumped for Eric Dier or Kyle Walker.
Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:31 - May 22 with 3100 viewsJ2BLUE

Had to be really didn't it?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:31 - May 22 with 3097 viewsclive_baker

As long as he's not taking corners I don't mind.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:32 - May 22 with 3093 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Only real choice.

Better that its not Henderson, as that could restrict Southgates options to change midfield.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:32 - May 22 with 3093 viewschicoazul

I think Kane would give you the same performance level if he was captain or not whereas Henderson for instance might give you a raised level if they were captain. But there is hardly anything in it really.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:32 - May 22 with 3090 viewsIllinoisblue

Maybe as captain he can order himself not to take corners

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:33 - May 22 with 3093 viewsbluewein

Would have picked Henderson myself. Captain of a potential champions league winning team and all that.

Expect to get pelters for this, but the whole captaincy thing has been a mockery since Beckham had it anyway.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Login to get fewer ads

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:35 - May 22 with 3073 viewsitfcjoe

The obvious choice - guaranteed starter and best player.

I think he'll take it in his stride as well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:37 - May 22 with 3055 viewsvapour_trail

One of few senior players in the squad guaranteed a starting spot.

Had to be him.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:38 - May 22 with 3048 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:33 - May 22 by bluewein

Would have picked Henderson myself. Captain of a potential champions league winning team and all that.

Expect to get pelters for this, but the whole captaincy thing has been a mockery since Beckham had it anyway.

So you want Henderson to be captain based on his performance as captain, but the captains role doesnt matter?

Those two points contradict each other.

If the captains role doesnt matter, then Henderson cant have any credit for his captaincy.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:41 - May 22 with 3037 viewsbluewein

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:38 - May 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

So you want Henderson to be captain based on his performance as captain, but the captains role doesnt matter?

Those two points contradict each other.

If the captains role doesnt matter, then Henderson cant have any credit for his captaincy.

Not really. You have to pick a captain, so I'm just saying who I would have picked.

But we really do put too much of an emphasis on the role in this country.

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:42 - May 22 with 3031 viewsBurwell_Blue

Don't have any thoughts. He does not play for Ipswich and the World Cup is meh.

Hope that helps.
Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:43 - May 22 with 3020 viewsbluewein

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:42 - May 22 by Burwell_Blue

Don't have any thoughts. He does not play for Ipswich and the World Cup is meh.

Hope that helps.

So you didn't really need to comment then...

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:43 - May 22 with 3019 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:41 - May 22 by bluewein

Not really. You have to pick a captain, so I'm just saying who I would have picked.

But we really do put too much of an emphasis on the role in this country.

Not sure we do, I think your view of the captains role being over emphasised is pretty much the norm these days. I think Gareth Southgate stated that regardless of who is captain he wants numerous leaders on the pitch.

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:44 - May 22 with 3013 viewsBurwell_Blue

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:43 - May 22 by bluewein

So you didn't really need to comment then...

Correct.

Oh bugg3r.
Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:45 - May 22 with 3007 viewsstig4532

He'll claim a good victory with this one
Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:07 - May 22 with 2957 viewsbluewein

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 12:43 - May 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

Not sure we do, I think your view of the captains role being over emphasised is pretty much the norm these days. I think Gareth Southgate stated that regardless of who is captain he wants numerous leaders on the pitch.

That's fair enough. I like the thought of leaders on the pitch, hence the decision to take the likes of Cahill.

My thoughts on the captaincy stem from, as stated the way Beckham presented it. For me it now represents celebrity more than the job asked. That said, as someone further up the thread mentioned Kane does seem the kind to take it in his stride. I'm still quietly hopeful of a successful World Cup this year.
[Post edited 22 May 2018 13:07]

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:13 - May 22 with 2928 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:07 - May 22 by bluewein

That's fair enough. I like the thought of leaders on the pitch, hence the decision to take the likes of Cahill.

My thoughts on the captaincy stem from, as stated the way Beckham presented it. For me it now represents celebrity more than the job asked. That said, as someone further up the thread mentioned Kane does seem the kind to take it in his stride. I'm still quietly hopeful of a successful World Cup this year.
[Post edited 22 May 2018 13:07]

Im not sure I get the Beckham comment.

I think Beckham full respected the role and was proud to have it, I think he was a pretty good captain.

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:29 - May 22 with 2901 viewsbluewein

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:13 - May 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

Im not sure I get the Beckham comment.

I think Beckham full respected the role and was proud to have it, I think he was a pretty good captain.

Thought he was the main representation of the failure of the Golden Generation myself. Don't doubt he was proud to have the role (we were told often enough how proud and patriotic he was by his pr team)

Not sure you could say he was a pretty good captain either. Free kick vs Greece, a penalty against the Argies... I never thought he took a game by the scruff of the neck that often. (And I know that, possibly with the exception of Terry no one else has done that since...)

As I say, it's a view that I know many will frown upon and I'm not expecting or trying to get many to agree with.

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:32 - May 22 with 2888 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:29 - May 22 by bluewein

Thought he was the main representation of the failure of the Golden Generation myself. Don't doubt he was proud to have the role (we were told often enough how proud and patriotic he was by his pr team)

Not sure you could say he was a pretty good captain either. Free kick vs Greece, a penalty against the Argies... I never thought he took a game by the scruff of the neck that often. (And I know that, possibly with the exception of Terry no one else has done that since...)

As I say, it's a view that I know many will frown upon and I'm not expecting or trying to get many to agree with.

I dont think you can blame Beckham for the failure of that team (like you say, the captaincy role is often over emphasised!!). They failed collectively.

From 98 to c.2005 Beckham was a top class player on a european / world level, and deserved the captaincy.

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:40 - May 22 with 2874 viewsbluewein

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:32 - May 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

I dont think you can blame Beckham for the failure of that team (like you say, the captaincy role is often over emphasised!!). They failed collectively.

From 98 to c.2005 Beckham was a top class player on a european / world level, and deserved the captaincy.

I see what you did there... :)

European, yes. World... sorry, I really can't agree.

As I said, I'm not expecting agreement on this. I could write a small book on my thoughts on Beckham (work would probably be less than pleased if I did though) so I'll leave it there.

I'm sure we can agree on one thing that the World Cup is just around the corner 90% of us can't wait.

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:46 - May 22 with 2853 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:40 - May 22 by bluewein

I see what you did there... :)

European, yes. World... sorry, I really can't agree.

As I said, I'm not expecting agreement on this. I could write a small book on my thoughts on Beckham (work would probably be less than pleased if I did though) so I'll leave it there.

I'm sure we can agree on one thing that the World Cup is just around the corner 90% of us can't wait.

I just think its fashionable to forget how good beckham actually was and to paint him as a celeb.

UEFA Club Footballer of the Year: 1998—99
UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year: 1998—99

1999 - Runner up balon d'or

1999 & 2001 - Runner up, FIFA World player of the year.

2005/6 - Real Madrid, player of the year.

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:53 - May 22 with 2834 viewsbluewein

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:46 - May 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

I just think its fashionable to forget how good beckham actually was and to paint him as a celeb.

UEFA Club Footballer of the Year: 1998—99
UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year: 1998—99

1999 - Runner up balon d'or

1999 & 2001 - Runner up, FIFA World player of the year.

2005/6 - Real Madrid, player of the year.

Lest we forget that Ronaldo (one of the best players the world has and will ever see) has those accolades and then some more, and some people still don't rate him that highly.

Opinions and all that I guess...

Kane England captain for Russia... thoughts?? (n/t) on 13:55 - May 22 with 2827 viewsVaughan8

Never like Strikers being Captain. I would prefer a centre back or midfielder. Who I don't know. I don't know the players characters etc.

As someone else said, I'd rather Kane was just left to scoring goals as he is our main threat.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024