Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Damien Delaney.. 16:29 - Jun 8 with 7818 viewsRedX

Back where it all started.

Damien Delaney.. on 16:48 - Jun 8 with 6931 viewsLord_Lucan

Another decent player that proved the boo boys wrong.

There was a cretin in the upper north who abused him every game for 90 mins. I was so happy for Delaney when he won the play off final and broke down in tears in the tunnel.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Damien Delaney.. on 17:04 - Jun 8 with 6887 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Should have resigned him. Clearly cut his wages. And massive experience at both championship and Prem. Although wouldn’t have played every single week, a left footed centre half with that level of experience would have been perfect.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Damien Delaney.. on 17:31 - Jun 8 with 6843 viewschicoazul

Remember that time he told Paul Jewell he was emmigrating to New York and Jewell let him leave the club and 3 weeks later he was at Palace?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Damien Delaney.. on 18:01 - Jun 8 with 6774 viewsBlueBadger

Damien Delaney.. on 17:31 - Jun 8 by chicoazul

Remember that time he told Paul Jewell he was emmigrating to New York and Jewell let him leave the club and 3 weeks later he was at Palace?

Don't forget the best bit where he utterly failed to replace him, despite saying 'it's OK to let him go, I've got one lined up'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Damien Delaney.. on 18:11 - Jun 8 with 6765 viewsPhilTWTD

Damien Delaney.. on 17:31 - Jun 8 by chicoazul

Wasn't quite the story:

Delaney Not Off to US 14th Oct 2012 12:31
Former Blues defender Damien Delaney has denied that he told Town boss Paul Jewell that he plans to move to the US in January. The Irishman, who joined Crystal Palace after leaving the Blues in August, says that although he discussed the possibility of a move abroad, he had no firm plans. 18

Delaney has subsequently said he was considering retiring as he was thoroughly disillusioned with the game. Nice bloke, nasty injury when he was here which could have been much, much worse:

Delaney: Injury Could Have Ended My Career 9th Sep 2010 10:13
Centre-half Damien Delaney has admitted he was concerned about his footballing future after suffering his horror thigh injury in the summer. The Irish international played his first game since suffering the problem as the reserves lost 2-0 to Oxford United at Portman Road yesterday. 14

Damien Delaney.. on 22:32 - Jun 8 with 6535 viewslowhouseblue

i'm not sure, and the future is unknowable, but delaney playing left back may be my low point in supporting the town. and i remember harbey.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Damien Delaney.. on 22:39 - Jun 8 with 6515 viewsitfc24

Damien Delaney.. on 22:32 - Jun 8 by lowhouseblue

i'm not sure, and the future is unknowable, but delaney playing left back may be my low point in supporting the town. and i remember harbey.

Agreed as LB I can honestly say he was as bad a player as I have ever seen. Looked totally out of his depth was incapable of the absolute basics.
Damien Delaney.. on 13:17 - Jun 9 with 6275 viewsBlueBadger

Ah yes, the famous Roy Keane 'four centre backs' back line..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Damien Delaney.. on 13:25 - Jun 9 with 6265 viewsPhilTWTD

Damien Delaney.. on 22:39 - Jun 8 by itfc24

Agreed as LB I can honestly say he was as bad a player as I have ever seen. Looked totally out of his depth was incapable of the absolute basics.

Didn't start that season well for us - not helped by having Lee Martin in front of him - but had played much of his career there at that stage and was signed very firmly as a left-back. Giovanni Trapattoni gave him his first Ireland appearances playing there when he was at QPR.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Damien Delaney.. on 17:16 - Jun 9 with 6145 viewsitfc24

Damien Delaney.. on 13:25 - Jun 9 by PhilTWTD

Didn't start that season well for us - not helped by having Lee Martin in front of him - but had played much of his career there at that stage and was signed very firmly as a left-back. Giovanni Trapattoni gave him his first Ireland appearances playing there when he was at QPR.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Wasn't his first home game against QPR as well? I had some sympathy for him as he looked like someone who had been dragged onto the pitch with no idea what his purpose was. Obviously found his feet when he moved into the centre.

As someone said earlier was glad to see him do well at CP he was a quality player who constantly had to play with getting stick from the stands.
Damien Delaney.. on 17:25 - Jun 9 with 6128 viewsshoopdelang

Surely he’s still got enough in him to play at a higher level than that?
Damien Delaney.. on 00:40 - Jun 10 with 6036 viewsRedX

Damien Delaney.. on 17:25 - Jun 9 by shoopdelang

Surely he’s still got enough in him to play at a higher level than that?

Out of interest, what level would you think a club like Cork City FC are at?
Damien Delaney.. on 01:53 - Jun 10 with 6018 viewsSuperblue95

Damien Delaney.. on 16:48 - Jun 8 by Lord_Lucan

There was a cretin in the upper north who abused him every game for 90 mins. I was so happy for Delaney when he won the play off final and broke down in tears in the tunnel.

I can't be the only person who thought he was absolute garbage for us??

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Damien Delaney.. on 08:05 - Jun 10 with 5963 viewssolemio

Damien Delaney.. on 01:53 - Jun 10 by Superblue95

No shades of grey in your world, are there.
Damien Delaney.. on 09:15 - Jun 10 with 5928 viewssuperblue70

No your not and anybody at Peterborough would agree, also home to a forest team who hadn't scored for weeks, two shamefull and gutless performances there, still one of my most hated itfc players of all time.
Damien Delaney.. on 09:24 - Jun 10 with 5918 viewsBrixtonBlue

A lot of revisionism goes on for Delaney for some reason, and it's evident throughout this thread. He was good for Palace in the Prem, so people rewrite history in their own heads and think he was good for us.

He wasn't, for whatever reasons.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Damien Delaney.. on 09:43 - Jun 10 with 5902 viewsshoopdelang

Damien Delaney.. on 00:40 - Jun 10 by RedX

Out of interest, what level would you think a club like Cork City FC are at?

I would assume a big step down from the premier league. Domestically ( having never seen the league I need to emphasise I am just making an assumption ) I would guess it's probably equivalent to our league 2. What would you say it is?
Damien Delaney.. on 09:49 - Jun 10 with 5890 viewscrazyblue68

He was decent at centre back. We had and still do have some right dumb fans.
Damien Delaney.. on 09:50 - Jun 10 with 5890 viewsDyland

Damien Delaney.. on 16:48 - Jun 8 by Lord_Lucan

There were a few near me in UN who did exactly that. "Donkey" was the constant refrain. One of them especially was waiting for him to hoof it or make a mistake all the time, and obviously sat on his hands if it didn't happen. Had to tell them to stfu numerous times.

Having said that, DD was pretty sh1te at left back. A much better centre half. Keane was such a numpty assuming decent enough but fairly one dimensional players could and should be able to play anywhere. I reckon DD was quite fragile and the boo boys can't have helped.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Damien Delaney.. on 09:55 - Jun 10 with 5879 viewsSwailsey

Damien Delaney.. on 09:15 - Jun 10 by superblue70

No your not and anybody at Peterborough would agree, also home to a forest team who hadn't scored for weeks, two shamefull and gutless performances there, still one of my most hated itfc players of all time.

He wasn’t very good for us at times, but was exceptional for a few months when he came in at CB.

Nothing hateful about him at all. There were far bigger culprits that day. Hyperbole to the extreme.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2018 9:59]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Damien Delaney.. on 09:58 - Jun 10 with 5877 viewsbrogansnose

Damien Delaney.. on 09:24 - Jun 10 by BrixtonBlue

A lot of revisionism goes on for Delaney for some reason, and it's evident throughout this thread. He was good for Palace in the Prem, so people rewrite history in their own heads and think he was good for us.

He wasn't, for whatever reasons.

Agree. He wasn't great for us and had plenty of ricks in his play. He pretty much needed McCauley alongside him. I'm glad it turned out well for him at Palace.
Damien Delaney.. on 10:43 - Jun 10 with 5844 viewsRedX

Damien Delaney.. on 09:43 - Jun 10 by shoopdelang

I would assume a big step down from the premier league. Domestically ( having never seen the league I need to emphasise I am just making an assumption ) I would guess it's probably equivalent to our league 2. What would you say it is?

Cork City would comfortably hold their own mid-table championship. That is coming from someone watching both the championship/2nd division and the LOI for over 30 years.

The League of Ireland in recent years has developed into a Scottish type scenario, where the top two teams, Cork City and Dundalk, are miles ahead of the rest. Both teams would be comfortable in the Championship. Some sides would do well in League One while others would be lucky to survive League Two.

Everything is a step-down for the EPL. Delaney is coming home to play with his local side who are the league and cup champions. City are currently top of the table and have pre-lims of the Champions League to play next month also. The club is already guaranteed upto £1m from europe whether they win a game or not. Lose champions league pre-lim and it's straight into the europa league qualifiers.

It's a league that needs investment but is being failed by a pathetic FAI but Cork City with average gates of 5,000 and annual european fixtures are lucky enough to hold their own.
Damien Delaney.. on 12:05 - Jun 10 with 5790 viewsTrequartista

There must have been more to it than him being totally useless at left-back as he'd played a sizeable amount of games there for QPR iirc.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Damien Delaney.. on 15:29 - Jun 19 with 5500 viewsRedX

Tough opening for Delaney.

Cork City drawn against Legia Warzaw in the Champions League.
Damien Delaney.. on 15:35 - Jun 19 with 5495 viewsPhilTWTD

Damien Delaney.. on 15:29 - Jun 19 by RedX

Tough opening for Delaney.

Cork City drawn against Legia Warzaw in the Champions League.

Saw this question last night, but didn't see the answer. Which two players at the World Cup have played in the League of Ireland?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024