Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Perfect illustration 15:52 - Sep 2 with 2870 viewspowinswitch

Of a much discussed debate. First half the midfield battle was won by Nodge, although they didn’t convert possession into many chances. Second half we were the better side and our midfield dominated. The key difference for me is a side with Skuse and then one without him.

I wish him a speedy recovery and hope the injury is not serious, but believe at home at least, we are better with Chalobah or Downes, longer term Huws alongside Nolan
Perfect illustration on 15:56 - Sep 2 with 2491 viewshomer_123

The difference in the second was our pace with and without the ball. No more or less complicated than that.

We upped the tempo and kept the pressure on.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Perfect illustration on 15:59 - Sep 2 with 2459 viewsHerbivore

Don't agree with that analysis at all.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Perfect illustration on 16:00 - Sep 2 with 2455 viewspowinswitch

Perfect illustration on 15:56 - Sep 2 by homer_123

The difference in the second was our pace with and without the ball. No more or less complicated than that.

We upped the tempo and kept the pressure on.

Extra pace, without a doubt. You do realise We are very slow when we have the ball and Skuse is on the pitch. Very slooooooow.
Perfect illustration on 16:02 - Sep 2 with 2436 viewshomer_123

Perfect illustration on 16:00 - Sep 2 by powinswitch

Extra pace, without a doubt. You do realise We are very slow when we have the ball and Skuse is on the pitch. Very slooooooow.

We're not though. I don't see any of our players pinging the ball about with pace. Nolan and a chalobah in the middle certainly don't.

Perfect illustration on 16:04 - Sep 2 with 2422 viewspowinswitch

Perfect illustration on 15:59 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

That’s fine Herbie, it isn’t required. I am giving my thought, and you can agree or not. The forum is the opportunity to debate and discuss.
Perfect illustration on 16:04 - Sep 2 with 2424 viewsChocorange

Agree Skuse was the difference...if he had played the second half we wouldnt have conceded.

If it is a seruous injury and he's missing for a few games , i hate to think how many goals we will ship playing Chaloabh

Awful for young England, awful at Wednesday. Conceded onefron his mistake and following his man and a few minutes later lost his man again.

Same today , i hoped being dropped would wake him up but too often he was way up the pitch making no effort to be where he should be. He has lots to learn.

We are not scoring enough as it is , playing chalobah will make it an impossible task
Perfect illustration on 16:10 - Sep 2 with 2387 viewspowinswitch

Perfect illustration on 16:04 - Sep 2 by Chocorange

Agree Skuse was the difference...if he had played the second half we wouldnt have conceded.

If it is a seruous injury and he's missing for a few games , i hate to think how many goals we will ship playing Chaloabh

Awful for young England, awful at Wednesday. Conceded onefron his mistake and following his man and a few minutes later lost his man again.

Same today , i hoped being dropped would wake him up but too often he was way up the pitch making no effort to be where he should be. He has lots to learn.

We are not scoring enough as it is , playing chalobah will make it an impossible task

Personally from what I have seen, I prefer Downes to Chalobah But I do have to acknowledge that I haven’t seen a lot of Downes. Skuse is good at protecting our defence, but I have never rated him when we have the ball, and as I said already he slows us down when in possession.
Perfect illustration on 16:11 - Sep 2 with 2384 viewsMullet

You mean the Skuse who broke down much of their midfield "dominance" because the one thing they did do well was use their full backs higher up than us and get the ball back into the middle behind ours?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Perfect illustration on 16:11 - Sep 2 with 2381 viewslongtimefan

Perfect illustration on 15:59 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

Nor do I. Thought Skuse was our best midfielder in the first half. Broke up most of Norwich’s attacks and used the ball well.
Perfect illustration on 16:12 - Sep 2 with 2379 viewsGeoffSentence

I don't think Skuse going off was key to our improved performance, it was that JW played further forward in the seconf half.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Perfect illustration on 16:17 - Sep 2 with 2334 viewsHerbivore

Perfect illustration on 16:10 - Sep 2 by powinswitch

Personally from what I have seen, I prefer Downes to Chalobah But I do have to acknowledge that I haven’t seen a lot of Downes. Skuse is good at protecting our defence, but I have never rated him when we have the ball, and as I said already he slows us down when in possession.

That's just not true. Skuse doesn't often do flashy things with the ball but he always moves it on quickly.

Perfect illustration on 16:24 - Sep 2 with 2301 viewshomer_123

Perfect illustration on 16:17 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

That's just not true. Skuse doesn't often do flashy things with the ball but he always moves it on quickly.

It's amazing that people don't see the work Skuse gets through, the break up play work, positional play etc.

Perfect illustration on 16:30 - Sep 2 with 2265 viewspowinswitch

Perfect illustration on 16:17 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

Herbie, we can agree to disagree. But neither your assertion, nor mine are facts, and you cannot state that my view is true or not. It’s a forum, where people come to express opinions. So please do not set yourself up as judge or jury. I respect your opinion, and acknowledge most seem to agree with you. But that does not give you the right to tell me my opinion is not true.
Perfect illustration on 16:34 - Sep 2 with 2238 viewsdalianwasexciting

Perfect illustration on 16:24 - Sep 2 by homer_123

It's amazing that people don't see the work Skuse gets through, the break up play work, positional play etc.

The midfield remains a problem - I was not there today but the 4 games I have been to so far this season prove Chalobah and Skuse together do not work. In order to play 2 up top or even to use Walters to support the main attacker we need to look at how the whole midfield works.

I would rather it was Downes than Chalobah at present, he has a mistake in him and some of his passing is very very sloppy and non penetrative. Nolan is probably a better number 10 which means a very imbalanced side and I struggle to see where we fit all the players when Huws and Bishop are back - little wonder Dozzell cannot get near the team. A bit of a quandary for me.

Poll: Our number one goalkeeper going forward?

Perfect illustration on 16:36 - Sep 2 with 2226 viewsDanTheMan

Perfect illustration on 16:30 - Sep 2 by powinswitch

Herbie, we can agree to disagree. But neither your assertion, nor mine are facts, and you cannot state that my view is true or not. It’s a forum, where people come to express opinions. So please do not set yourself up as judge or jury. I respect your opinion, and acknowledge most seem to agree with you. But that does not give you the right to tell me my opinion is not true.

Bit of an overreaction there.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Perfect illustration on 16:46 - Sep 2 with 2166 viewshomer_123

Perfect illustration on 16:34 - Sep 2 by dalianwasexciting

The midfield remains a problem - I was not there today but the 4 games I have been to so far this season prove Chalobah and Skuse together do not work. In order to play 2 up top or even to use Walters to support the main attacker we need to look at how the whole midfield works.

I would rather it was Downes than Chalobah at present, he has a mistake in him and some of his passing is very very sloppy and non penetrative. Nolan is probably a better number 10 which means a very imbalanced side and I struggle to see where we fit all the players when Huws and Bishop are back - little wonder Dozzell cannot get near the team. A bit of a quandary for me.

Chalobah and Downes in the middle wouldn't be strong enough as a two.

With a three in the middle,that's when you can play them with Skuse or Huws.

Perfect illustration on 16:49 - Sep 2 with 2146 viewsunstableblue

Perfect illustration on 16:02 - Sep 2 by homer_123

We're not though. I don't see any of our players pinging the ball about with pace. Nolan and a chalobah in the middle certainly don't.

I think you’re under estimating the quality of Nolan and Chalobah there Homer...

As indeed are many on the board after today’s game.

Yes Nolan is still finding his feet but he moves and passes well and is good at digging himself out of a whole. I do think he pings it quickly when needed.

Chalobah is still too loose and error prone but he has real quality and he DiD ping it round; at times too aggressively for players to react!

I was a bit disappointed Chalobah was dropped for the new system.

I agree Skuse did some good defensive work first half.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Perfect illustration on 16:52 - Sep 2 with 2131 viewspowinswitch

Perfect illustration on 16:36 - Sep 2 by DanTheMan

Bit of an overreaction there.

Perhaps. I do have a concern that there are some posters who feel that they are right and their opinion counts more than others. I expressed an opinion. If everybody else comes on, as they seem to and say we don’t agree with you, that speaks volumes all by itself. But t doesn’t make any opinion right or wrong, true or false, and it’s 8mportant that all can express their opinion freely, without somebody saying it’s true or fLse. I do respect that most seem to disagree with me. Fair enough. It’s good to debate. Herbie, I still rate your views on the game and the club, even if we don’t agree on this issue.
Perfect illustration on 16:56 - Sep 2 with 2113 viewssotd78

Skuse was excellent first half until injured. Were you there?

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Perfect illustration on 17:05 - Sep 2 with 2079 viewsHerbivore

Perfect illustration on 16:30 - Sep 2 by powinswitch

There's little room for opinion on whether Skuse moves the ball quickly or not, either he does or he doesn't. He clearly does. Whether you rate him or not is another matter.

Perfect illustration on 17:05 - Sep 2 with 2080 viewsAnewHop

Perfect illustration on 16:46 - Sep 2 by homer_123

Chalobah and Downes in the middle wouldn't be strong enough as a two.

With a three in the middle,that's when you can play them with Skuse or Huws.

Interesting that Hurst saw Walters as the most advanced of a midfield 3 today. If that’s going to be his position while he’s with us then it’s hard to see Hurst looking beyond Skuse and Nolan as the other two starters. When they’re fit of course. Maybe Huws could be the third and push Waters up front, but I’d rather see Jackson given a good run in the side.
Perfect illustration on 17:16 - Sep 2 with 2041 viewspowinswitch

Perfect illustration on 16:56 - Sep 2 by sotd78

Skuse was excellent first half until injured. Were you there?

Absolutely, I am at them all at home and a sprinkling away, although not done any away this season yet.
Perfect illustration on 17:28 - Sep 2 with 1991 viewsGarv

Perfect illustration on 17:05 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

There's little room for opinion on whether Skuse moves the ball quickly or not, either he does or he doesn't. He clearly does. Whether you rate him or not is another matter.

Moving the ball on quickly is one thing, moving it on forward and with purpose is another matter.

I wouldn't say Skuse can't or doesn't do this, but he could do better with it. I feel that's what the original post was alluding to.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Perfect illustration on 17:33 - Sep 2 with 1957 viewsbluelady

Yep it was a perfect illustration of why Skuse SHOULD start games ......
Perfect illustration on 19:04 - Sep 2 with 1850 viewsPJH

I agree with one line of your OP Mr powinswitch-"The key difference for me is a side with Skuse and then one without him"-I thought he was close to our best player prior to his injury by doing what Cole Skuse does.
It looks like at the moment him being in the side is one of the few things that Paul Hurst and I agree on.

We have much to discuss when we next meet which hopefully we can sort out soon-I will message you after my upcoming holiday.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024