Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, who is our number one now? 15:54 - Sep 4 with 4406 viewsSpruceMoose

Apologies if this was covered in any depth over the weekend ( I know Libby and I touched on it for a few posts), but who the heck is our number one now?

DG doesn't deserve to be dropped off the back of his performance, but for me, Bart is our number one and never should have been dropped for Sunday in the first place.

I think Hurst has created a problem for himself here.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 15:55]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

So, who is our number one now? on 17:01 - Sep 4 with 1132 viewschristiand

So, who is our number one now? on 16:49 - Sep 4 by Mullet

Chalobah just as much at fault for one, so you can argue both have been dropped for that given the Blackburn opener too.

Can't tell if this is Hurst being ruthless or digging his own grave. He certainly needs to back himself and get results too. I'm still surprised it was Donacien he dropped this Sunday out of the squad completely given who he went with.

I like Bart and he is the better keeper without a doubt, so for me to dig him out I don't enjoy it Mullet. I think he'll know deep down that he probably warrants being dropped, but it's now up to him to react in the right way, which I think he will.

Donacien seemed to be growing in confidence by the game after a very shaky start against Blackburn, I was surprised as well. Will Pennington play ahead of him at RB once Nisala is back from his suspension? I'm really not sure what direction PH is trying to take us after the weekend, it's like we've taken a step or two backwards in our approach. I'm starting to believe he doesn't either, which is more a concern!! He's quickly ripped things up and started again after only 5 league games. If a manager truly believed in his approach he'd have stuck by that for longer surely? Just too many questions unanswered for me at the moment.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 17:02]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

So, who is our number one now? on 17:03 - Sep 4 with 1127 viewsPJH

So, who is our number one now? on 16:55 - Sep 4 by Superfrans

If you go back and look at all of the goals we have conceded this season (they're all under the Interactive tab above), you can make a case for the following. Possibly the Derby one is harsh, but not the rest.

Of course, none of this means that Bart is the only one at fault in all of these cases, but a more decisive, stronger, more confident keeper would have done much better.

Blackburn 2-2
1 — free-kick, header across box, two attempts to punch clear. Bart at fault.
2 — break down our left, Spence injured, nobody tracking winger, cross to score from close in. Can’t blame Bart.

Rotherham 0-1
1 — stupid free-kick, melee in box, swinger into top corner. Can’t blame Bart.

Villa 1-1
1 — whipped cross, bullet header. Can’t blame Bart.

Exeter 1-1
1 — sloppy defending from low struck freekick, Bart should have saved it. Bart at fault (as well as other players, of course).

Derby 0-2
1 — second phase after a corner, shot from distance into top corner, can’t blame Bart.
2 — free kick from distance, straight at home, possibly unsighted / deflection. But ought to have stopped it. Bart at fault.

Sheff Wed 1-2
1 — came for the ball, didn’t get it. Bart at fault.
2 — came for the ball, even further out, didn’t get it. Flapped for the follow up header. Bart at fault.

I will accept/agree the second one at Sheff W-I had sort of forgotten how that came about.
I did not know that the Exeter game was being included because I think only 5 games were mentioned.
That is the only game that I have not been to but seeing in on screen then yes that is down to Bart but that also makes it 6 games and not 5.

I never expected him to be dropped for Sunday but there was certainly a case for leaving him out because he had looked far from secure(as had the whole defence)and if anything his kicking had got worse.

Thanks for your explanation although I do not completely agree with your reasoning.
So, who is our number one now? on 17:05 - Sep 4 with 1122 viewshype313

If you go back and look at all of the goals we have conceded this season (they're all under the Interactive tab above), you can make a case for the following. Possibly the Derby one is harsh, but not the rest.

Of course, none of this means that Bart is the only one at fault in all of these cases, but a more decisive, stronger, more confident keeper would have done much better.

Blackburn 2-2
2 — break down our left, Spence injured, nobody tracking winger, cross to score from close in. Can’t blame Bart.

Rotherham 0-1

Villa 1-1

Exeter 1-1
1 — sloppy defending from low struck freekick, Bart should have saved it. Bart at fault (as well as other players, of course).

Derby 0-2
1 — second phase after a corner, shot from distance into top corner, can’t blame Bart.
2 — free kick from distance, straight at home, possibly unsighted / deflection. But ought to have stopped it. Bart at fault.

Sheff Wed 1-2
2 — came for the ball, even further out, didn’t get it. Flapped for the follow up header. Bart at fault.

Both Derby's goals were deflected, incredibly harsh to blame them on Bart.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So, who is our number one now? on 17:19 - Sep 4 with 1097 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Blackburn 2-2

Rotherham 0-1

Villa 1-1

Exeter 1-1

Derby 0-2

Sheff Wed 1-2

You can't really blame Bart for Derby's second but there have still been 4 of 9 goals conceded that are either Bart's fault or he should have done much better with and he was part of the problem.

Bart hasn't been so negatively involved in 4 opposition goals across the whole of last season.

When he comes back from a World Cup, is made the highest paid player and then looks consistently shaky in 6 consecutive games, one of which is against one man and a dog versus a League Two team, then Hurst was left with no choice.

It's not as simple as this, but Sky do stats about how many points Salah has won Liverpool or Kane has won Spurs. By their metric we'd have beaten Blackburn 2-1, beat Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 and beaten Exeter 1-0.

That would put us on 7 points, we'd be 15th (8 places higher) and we'd have gone to Fulham away in the League Cup 2nd Round.

As I say. not that simple, but you can see why Hurst might feel that with Bart in goal a 1-0 win could be turned into a 1-1 draw and hence he's gone for Gerken and given him a chance.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

So, who is our number one now? on 17:24 - Sep 4 with 1088 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

When Bart joined us he was very shaky, in and out of the team, then given a run, then left out when his Dad passed away and didn't get to return straight away until Gerken made a few mistakes. It was only after chopping and changing that Bart found his best form and was consistently good.

Why would it not work again? Bart has been very poor, way below his ability and even below the level we'd expect from Gerken. He can't expect to keep his place in that kind of form and it is surely only a good thing for him to want to work hard enough that when he does get a chance again, he hits the highs that he achieved before to show he was much better than Gerken.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

So, who is our number one now? on 17:32 - Sep 4 with 1065 viewsMullet

So, who is our number one now? on 17:01 - Sep 4 by christiand

I like Bart and he is the better keeper without a doubt, so for me to dig him out I don't enjoy it Mullet. I think he'll know deep down that he probably warrants being dropped, but it's now up to him to react in the right way, which I think he will.

Donacien seemed to be growing in confidence by the game after a very shaky start against Blackburn, I was surprised as well. Will Pennington play ahead of him at RB once Nisala is back from his suspension? I'm really not sure what direction PH is trying to take us after the weekend, it's like we've taken a step or two backwards in our approach. I'm starting to believe he doesn't either, which is more a concern!! He's quickly ripped things up and started again after only 5 league games. If a manager truly believed in his approach he'd have stuck by that for longer surely? Just too many questions unanswered for me at the moment.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 17:02]

That's probably the hardest part about right now. We're not getting definitive answers or evidence either way. It does feel like we've missed a few massive opportunities and we're starting our season whilst giving the rest of the division a month's jump on us.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So, who is our number one now? on 17:35 - Sep 4 with 1066 viewsPJH

So, who is our number one now? on 17:24 - Sep 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

When Bart joined us he was very shaky, in and out of the team, then given a run, then left out when his Dad passed away and didn't get to return straight away until Gerken made a few mistakes. It was only after chopping and changing that Bart found his best form and was consistently good.

Why would it not work again? Bart has been very poor, way below his ability and even below the level we'd expect from Gerken. He can't expect to keep his place in that kind of form and it is surely only a good thing for him to want to work hard enough that when he does get a chance again, he hits the highs that he achieved before to show he was much better than Gerken.

Actually when he first came he was not in and out of the team he was reserve goalkeeper who made his debut at Blackpool when Gerken injured himself in the warm up.He was then an almost ever present for the rest of that season.
He then did, as you say, drop out of the team when his Dad was ill and then passed away and did not then return (apart from cup games) until the last third of that season and remaining undisputed first choice-until two days ago.

I agree that there was certainly a case for leaving him out although it still came as a surprise to most of us I would have thought.

Gerken should now play the next few games at least, unless of course there is an injury or a goalkeeping disaster.
So, who is our number one now? on 17:37 - Sep 4 with 1059 viewsSuperfrans

So, who is our number one now? on 17:03 - Sep 4 by PJH

I will accept/agree the second one at Sheff W-I had sort of forgotten how that came about.
I did not know that the Exeter game was being included because I think only 5 games were mentioned.
That is the only game that I have not been to but seeing in on screen then yes that is down to Bart but that also makes it 6 games and not 5.

I never expected him to be dropped for Sunday but there was certainly a case for leaving him out because he had looked far from secure(as had the whole defence)and if anything his kicking had got worse.

Thanks for your explanation although I do not completely agree with your reasoning.

Yes, I've always been working on the basis of 9 goals, 5 due to mistakes.

I agree the Derby one is harsh. But 4 out of 9 is still poor.

And, while he was amazing last season, and the season before, Hurst doesn't know that. And he has to base his judgment on how Bart is performing now, not last season.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

So, who is our number one now? on 17:41 - Sep 4 with 1050 viewsPJH

So, who is our number one now? on 17:37 - Sep 4 by Superfrans

Yes, I've always been working on the basis of 9 goals, 5 due to mistakes.

I agree the Derby one is harsh. But 4 out of 9 is still poor.

And, while he was amazing last season, and the season before, Hurst doesn't know that. And he has to base his judgment on how Bart is performing now, not last season.

I think we almost all agree (if we almost all agree on anything) that leaving him out was justified although it still was a surprise/shock to most I would think.
So, who is our number one now? on 17:44 - Sep 4 with 1045 viewsJ2BLUE

I think who is our starting keeper is a better question. It has to be Gerken. PH can't drop Gerken now without looking an idiot. I would hope he thought long and hard about it and decided Gerken was his keeper for the next few games at least. Perhaps the best thing that could happen now long term would be for Gerken to get a very minor knock to keep him out of the next game and Bart comes back in having had his wake up call.

If nothing changes I think he has to start Gerken.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So, who is our number one now? on 18:10 - Sep 4 with 1024 viewsLuggworm

The problem for Hurst is that Gerken didn't cover himself in glory Sunday. He had little to do with only 2 shots on target one of which bounced off him, the other went in. His positioning was poor for the goal as he didn't reset himself after the ball moved to the central position.
I agree that Bart has been off form so far this season but GK is the one position you normally let play through a poor spell.
So, who is our number one now? on 18:13 - Sep 4 with 1021 viewsIllinoisblue

So, who is our number one now? on 16:24 - Sep 4 by Keaneish

Disagree. Its irrelevant what he's done for years. new season, new dawn. He's been terrible in 6 games. How much longer a run can you give a keeper? Maybe being dropped is the wake-up call he needs after a World Cup and lucrative contract...

He's been at fault for us not winning games this season with some very bad errors.

I'm a big Bart fan and still think he's our number one. If he trains well in the next 2 weeks, and fairs well in a good sit down chat with Hurst, bring him back in.

Irony is though, he would have had little to do against them lot on Sunday.

he absolutely deserved to be dropped. New manager putting a marker down. I like it. Your last line is absolutely true though; Sunday would have been his easiest game of the season

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

So, who is our number one now? on 18:16 - Sep 4 with 1019 viewsIllinoisblue

Elvin King on Twitter hinted at a bust-up of sorts between Bart and the coaching staff.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

So, who is our number one now? on 18:33 - Sep 4 with 998 viewsGarv

So, who is our number one now? on 18:10 - Sep 4 by Luggworm

The problem for Hurst is that Gerken didn't cover himself in glory Sunday. He had little to do with only 2 shots on target one of which bounced off him, the other went in. His positioning was poor for the goal as he didn't reset himself after the ball moved to the central position.
I agree that Bart has been off form so far this season but GK is the one position you normally let play through a poor spell.

So harsh.

Tettey shot took a deflection and he reacted to save it.

The goal was right in the corner, there is an argument that Bart may have saved that with a better reach but no fault with DG for me.

Punched one cross basically into the stand. Thought he did well.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

So, who is our number one now? on 19:52 - Sep 4 with 955 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

So, who is our number one now? on 15:58 - Sep 4 by SpruceMoose

I agree. So what does Hurst do? Stick with DG or bring back Bart and make it look like he has no idea what he is doing?

Realistically he has to stick with DG, he did nothing in the norwich game to suggest he deserves to be dropped. But I feel it’s a problem PH has brought upon himself.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024