Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is caricature racist? 09:46 - Sep 11 with 11794 viewsSwansea_Blue

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/sep/11/repugnant-racist-news-corp-cartoon

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is caricature racist? on 11:58 - Sep 11 with 2905 viewsjeera

Is caricature racist? on 11:51 - Sep 11 by jeera

Yes, clearly.

Possibly not to the artist, as it's his inherent style etc.

But yes of course it's reminiscent of those old caricatures that have rightly, gradually become consigned to history. Forget the tantrum - the stupid girl was well out of order - the image there isn't all about that, or her sex, it clearly portrays a person with over-sized features that are not just personal to her as an individual, but of a race.

It's not complicated.

Another down-vote from Withnail.

Leave a reason bud please and I'll try to remember to take a look a bit later.

Thanks in advance.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Is caricature racist? on 12:00 - Sep 11 with 2895 viewsWithnail

Is caricature racist? on 11:58 - Sep 11 by jeera

Another down-vote from Withnail.

Leave a reason bud please and I'll try to remember to take a look a bit later.

Thanks in advance.

You seem very precious about the little arrows.

Don't have another public melt down, mate.
Is caricature racist? on 12:01 - Sep 11 with 2891 viewsjeera

Is caricature racist? on 12:00 - Sep 11 by Withnail

You seem very precious about the little arrows.

Don't have another public melt down, mate.

Not at all. You use them as a weapon and follow some posters about don't you.

Now, what about the subject instead of personal nonsense huh?

Is caricature racist? on 12:01 - Sep 11 with 2890 viewsRob88

Is caricature racist? on 10:01 - Sep 11 by Superfrans

Yes. This one is.

It chooses to use exaggerated physical attributes (large lips, big black hair, tongue sticking out) to ridicule a black woman - while the other, calm, emotionless, player is white, blonde, pert. Hard to see how anyone could NOT see that this is a racist caricature.

That is what a caricature is, the exaggeration of certain striking characteristics.
Is caricature racist? on 12:03 - Sep 11 with 2886 viewsjeera

Is caricature racist? on 12:01 - Sep 11 by Rob88

That is what a caricature is, the exaggeration of certain striking characteristics.

There's a difference between personal characteristics and those familiar to a race.

Drawing big ears is one thing.

Is caricature racist? on 12:04 - Sep 11 with 2880 viewschicoazul

I think it would have been a better debate if OP had asked "is *this specific* caricature racist".

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is caricature racist? on 12:06 - Sep 11 with 2872 viewsWithnail

Is caricature racist? on 12:01 - Sep 11 by jeera

Not at all. You use them as a weapon and follow some posters about don't you.

Now, what about the subject instead of personal nonsense huh?

It's not racist.

Weapon? you take this place waaaaaay too seriously lol.
Is caricature racist? on 12:08 - Sep 11 with 2863 viewsSuperfrans

They are the physical attributes of a race, not the individual. It is portraying her as an exaggerated, stereotyped version of her own race - with a handy pert, white, blonde opponent as a counterpoint.

Which I said in a previous post.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

Is caricature racist? on 12:10 - Sep 11 with 2854 viewscaught-in-limbo

There's an easy answer to this:

If the caricature implies a whole race of people and is negative*, then yes.

I should point out that I don't generally consider human skin colour, eye shape or nose size negative. However, stereotypes concerning a peoples' character almost always are.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2018 12:13]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Is caricature racist? on 12:13 - Sep 11 with 2847 viewsRob88

Is caricature racist? on 12:03 - Sep 11 by jeera

There's a difference between personal characteristics and those familiar to a race.

Drawing big ears is one thing.

So if your features fall towards the tail of the distribution for a given race it is acceptable to caricature but if they sit in the middle then it is unacceptable?

I think this all a bit silly.
Is caricature racist? on 12:14 - Sep 11 with 2843 viewsbrazil1982

Guardian also calling it sexist. I wonder what else -ist it could be?
Is caricature racist? on 12:19 - Sep 11 with 2823 viewsconnorscontract

Would it be more racist for Spitting Image to have excluded Frank Bruno or include him as a caricature, alongside Steve Davis, Mike Gatting et al?

Williams is arguably one of the top 10 sportspeople in the world and her having a meltdown in a Grand Slam Final finds a parallel perhaps with Zidane's head-butt or at the very least Beckham's kick-out. It's an international sporting news story worthy of comment, including from caricaturists.

It seems to me that Knight's depiction of Williams is consistent with his style, as demonstrated by the images at the bottom of this article:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/tennis/herald-sun-backs-mark-knights-cartoon-o

Of these, the most pertinent is the Kyrgios cartoon as it shows him treating a petulant, male player in a similar vein. Kyrgios' protest was passive, and he is shown as a sulky kid, Williams' was active and the stamping up and down in the cartoon is only a slight exaggeration from what she actually did.

https://images.perthnow.com.au/publication/594B06BCAFA578D667F679E490B85091/1536

But see also similarly over exaggeration of features in these cartoons of white celebrities and politicians:

https://images.perthnow.com.au/publication/594B06BCAFA578D667F679E490B85091/1536

Although Weinstein and Zuckerburg are Jewish, so maybe he is a Nazi after-all..?

Ultimately, Knight is someone who makes a living by drawing slightly spiteful pictures of people, and he does that of people regardless of race. And Serena Williams is the greatest female tennis player of her generation, possibly ever.

I'd be much prouder to be her brother than his.
Is caricature racist? on 13:16 - Sep 11 with 2761 viewsSpruceMoose

Is caricature racist? on 12:19 - Sep 11 by connorscontract

Would it be more racist for Spitting Image to have excluded Frank Bruno or include him as a caricature, alongside Steve Davis, Mike Gatting et al?

Williams is arguably one of the top 10 sportspeople in the world and her having a meltdown in a Grand Slam Final finds a parallel perhaps with Zidane's head-butt or at the very least Beckham's kick-out. It's an international sporting news story worthy of comment, including from caricaturists.

It seems to me that Knight's depiction of Williams is consistent with his style, as demonstrated by the images at the bottom of this article:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/tennis/herald-sun-backs-mark-knights-cartoon-o

Of these, the most pertinent is the Kyrgios cartoon as it shows him treating a petulant, male player in a similar vein. Kyrgios' protest was passive, and he is shown as a sulky kid, Williams' was active and the stamping up and down in the cartoon is only a slight exaggeration from what she actually did.

But see also similarly over exaggeration of features in these cartoons of white celebrities and politicians:

Although Weinstein and Zuckerburg are Jewish, so maybe he is a Nazi after-all..?

Ultimately, Knight is someone who makes a living by drawing slightly spiteful pictures of people, and he does that of people regardless of race. And Serena Williams is the greatest female tennis player of her generation, possibly ever.

I'd be much prouder to be her brother than his.

Historical context my man, historical context.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Is caricature racist? on 18:13 - Sep 11 with 2647 viewsconnorscontract

Is caricature racist? on 13:16 - Sep 11 by SpruceMoose

I don't see a whole lot of difference between the picture of Serena Williams and the puppet of Frank Bruno, in terms of exaggeration of characteristics. Do you?

And so the question then remains: is it better for the white puppet caricaturists Fluck and Law to include Bruno, with the same stylistic exaggerations as for Davis, Gatting et al, or should white caricaturists never be allowed to include black celebrities, sportspeople or politicians?
Is caricature racist? on 18:15 - Sep 11 with 2643 viewsSpruceMoose

Is caricature racist? on 18:13 - Sep 11 by connorscontract

I don't see a whole lot of difference between the picture of Serena Williams and the puppet of Frank Bruno, in terms of exaggeration of characteristics. Do you?

And so the question then remains: is it better for the white puppet caricaturists Fluck and Law to include Bruno, with the same stylistic exaggerations as for Davis, Gatting et al, or should white caricaturists never be allowed to include black celebrities, sportspeople or politicians?

Yes, I do.

As I said, go back and look at illustrations from decades ago. You'll see the link.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Is caricature racist? on 18:28 - Sep 11 with 2627 viewsJ2BLUE

It probably wasn't intended to be but the artist has to know anything that people can take offence about they most certainly will. It's a great distraction for her to have this blow up into a racism/sexism thing.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is caricature racist? on 18:28 - Sep 11 with 2627 viewsconnorscontract

Is caricature racist? on 18:15 - Sep 11 by SpruceMoose

Yes, I do.

As I said, go back and look at illustrations from decades ago. You'll see the link.

You think this:

Is very different, and worse in terms of exaggeration of features, to this:

?

Personally, I think the Bruno puppet is a greater exaggeration.
Is caricature racist? on 18:40 - Sep 11 with 2610 viewsSpruceMoose

Is caricature racist? on 18:28 - Sep 11 by connorscontract

You think this:

?

So what you're saying is both are out of line. I agree. The difference is, one was created 30 odd years ago. Shame we haven't really moved on.

Is caricature racist? on 19:02 - Sep 11 with 2587 viewsGeoffSentence

Is caricature racist? on 13:16 - Sep 11 by SpruceMoose

Open question here, and not just in relation to this incident but in general, just how much weight should we give historical context? Is it a matter of learnng the lessons of the past? Or is it a matter of bearing old grudges and not moving on?

I honestly don't know the answer to that question, but historians inevitably point out the positive aspect, which is right, but history does have its darker side and we do still have, for instance, Welsh Nationalists who dislike the English at leat partly based on the actions of Norman Kings from centuries ago.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Is caricature racist? on 19:11 - Sep 11 with 2581 viewssparks

Is caricature racist? on 12:08 - Sep 11 by Superfrans

They are the physical attributes of a race, not the individual. It is portraying her as an exaggerated, stereotyped version of her own race - with a handy pert, white, blonde opponent as a counterpoint.

Which I said in a previous post.

Gentle pointer here- the opponent WAS petite and pert, had blond highlights, and is clearly not drawn as "white". She is drawn a shade darker than the umpire- and slightly lighter than Williams.

The cartoon, I can see, has some unfortunate associations and echoes of old fashioned cartoons of black folk which should have all grown out of. However, a caricature is supposed to exagerrate prominent features. Are people saying that you cannot do caricatures of black people, because to exaggerate any prominent features might be racist? The only thing in the cartoon that really even hints at some racist stereotype appears to be the lips. SW's are not particularly in keeping with the stereotype and the cartoonist may well have reached for a lazy shorthand there- which is questionable.

SW and her supporters really are seeking special treatment though.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Is caricature racist? on 19:13 - Sep 11 with 2580 viewssparks

Is caricature racist? on 19:02 - Sep 11 by GeoffSentence

Open question here, and not just in relation to this incident but in general, just how much weight should we give historical context? Is it a matter of learnng the lessons of the past? Or is it a matter of bearing old grudges and not moving on?

I honestly don't know the answer to that question, but historians inevitably point out the positive aspect, which is right, but history does have its darker side and we do still have, for instance, Welsh Nationalists who dislike the English at leat partly based on the actions of Norman Kings from centuries ago.

Historical context is important- but it really shouldnt be allowed to form a basis for special treatment now.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Is caricature racist? on 19:41 - Sep 11 with 2558 viewsSuperfrans

Is caricature racist? on 18:28 - Sep 11 by connorscontract

You think this:

?

So do I. But I also don’t think you’d get away with the Bruno caricature today. We’re much more aware of these things today.

Is caricature racist? on 19:42 - Sep 11 with 2558 viewsSpruceMoose

Is caricature racist? on 19:13 - Sep 11 by sparks

Historical context is important- but it really shouldnt be allowed to form a basis for special treatment now.

I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree with you there. Can't, and shouldn't, ignore those voices.

Is caricature racist? on 19:45 - Sep 11 with 2551 viewsSuperfrans

Is caricature racist? on 19:11 - Sep 11 by sparks

Gentle pointer here- the opponent WAS petite and pert, had blond highlights, and is clearly not drawn as "white". She is drawn a shade darker than the umpire- and slightly lighter than Williams.

The cartoon, I can see, has some unfortunate associations and echoes of old fashioned cartoons of black folk which should have all grown out of. However, a caricature is supposed to exagerrate prominent features. Are people saying that you cannot do caricatures of black people, because to exaggerate any prominent features might be racist? The only thing in the cartoon that really even hints at some racist stereotype appears to be the lips. SW's are not particularly in keeping with the stereotype and the cartoonist may well have reached for a lazy shorthand there- which is questionable.

SW and her supporters really are seeking special treatment though.

I don’t agree that the pert blonde is quite as pert and blonde in real life. And she’s portrayed as white. There’s no getting away from that, from what I can see.

As for your last point, it’s not just Williams’ supporters who called this cartoon out as racist. I think it’s racist but still think she behaved appallingly.

Is caricature racist? on 19:49 - Sep 11 with 2545 viewssparks

Is caricature racist? on 19:42 - Sep 11 by SpruceMoose

I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree with you there. Can't, and shouldn't, ignore those voices.

This idea that people can demand special treatment is just hugely problematic.

Its not a case of ignoring- but it is a case of not being dictated to. Feminists, for instance, dont get to tell people whether they can or cannot use the word "rape" as a metaphor (but have tried to).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024