Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" 08:03 - Oct 4 with 3293 viewsKeno

isn't that statement a tad ironic coming from the boss of the bank that basically triggered the financial crash and the recession that followed?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:05 - Oct 4 with 2066 viewsBlueBadger

Well, I suppose he ought to to know when one's coming...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:16 - Oct 4 with 2031 viewsDarth_Koont

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:05 - Oct 4 by BlueBadger

Well, I suppose he ought to to know when one's coming...

Yes, and also quite important for them to be on the right side of this prediction.

Difficult to see why anyone wouldn't give a warning either. Our feckless politicians have made a no-deal Brexit dangerously likely. Even if they back away from that cliff edge at the last minute they've already gambled away the futures of thousands of companies and billions of pounds of business just by making companies prepare for that risk and disrupt their normal strategy and operations.

And if it does actually reach a no-deal Brexit then we may see whole industries and segments disappearing or at least crippled for a generation.

Pronouns: He/Him

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:21 - Oct 4 with 2024 viewsKeno

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:16 - Oct 4 by Darth_Koont

Yes, and also quite important for them to be on the right side of this prediction.

Difficult to see why anyone wouldn't give a warning either. Our feckless politicians have made a no-deal Brexit dangerously likely. Even if they back away from that cliff edge at the last minute they've already gambled away the futures of thousands of companies and billions of pounds of business just by making companies prepare for that risk and disrupt their normal strategy and operations.

And if it does actually reach a no-deal Brexit then we may see whole industries and segments disappearing or at least crippled for a generation.

and yet some will call you out as being 'project fear' and that you should get 'behind your country'

The warning is stark and the threat is real

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:32 - Oct 4 with 1974 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Link to op https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45737778
How much consumption based growth do people think is sustainable/desirable? For me this is 'cognitive dissonance central!'

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:33 - Oct 4 with 1997 viewsfactual_blue

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:21 - Oct 4 by Keno

and yet some will call you out as being 'project fear' and that you should get 'behind your country'

The warning is stark and the threat is real

balls

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:41 - Oct 4 with 1967 viewsnoggin

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:33 - Oct 4 by factual_blue

balls

Rule Britannia

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:42 - Oct 4 with 1967 viewsKeno

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:32 - Oct 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

Link to op https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45737778
How much consumption based growth do people think is sustainable/desirable? For me this is 'cognitive dissonance central!'

to be honest you taking that stance is making me feel very uncomfortable

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:43 - Oct 4 with 1963 viewsPinewoodblue

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:33 - Oct 4 by factual_blue

balls

It takes two to negotiate many European business leaders, especially in Germany are urging the EU to broker a deal.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) on 08:47 - Oct 4 with 1929 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:42 - Oct 4 by Keno

to be honest you taking that stance is making me feel very uncomfortable

To be clear it's a parallel debate not an argument for a no deal Brexit. A transition to steady state economics would need to be managed . A chaotic collapse would likely be worse for the environment.

Edit.....He only suggests growth going from +1.5 to 0 or possibly negative by the by!
......hope this makes you more comfortable, or is it something else?
[Post edited 4 Oct 2018 8:57]

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:55 - Oct 4 with 1900 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:43 - Oct 4 by Pinewoodblue

It takes two to negotiate many European business leaders, especially in Germany are urging the EU to broker a deal.

.....nice avatar (once I had made out the bottom line!)

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:55 - Oct 4 with 1918 viewsDarth_Koont

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 08:43 - Oct 4 by Pinewoodblue

It takes two to negotiate. But as our government has shown it only takes one to make an utter pig's ear of it.

(No subject) on 08:56 - Oct 4 with 1910 viewsPinewoodblue

(No subject) on 08:47 - Oct 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

To be clear it's a parallel debate not an argument for a no deal Brexit. A transition to steady state economics would need to be managed . A chaotic collapse would likely be worse for the environment.

Edit.....He only suggests growth going from +1.5 to 0 or possibly negative by the by!
......hope this makes you more comfortable, or is it something else?
[Post edited 4 Oct 2018 8:57]

Strange how small and medium businesses seem less concerned, perhaps they see an opportunity

2023 year of destiny

(No subject) on 09:04 - Oct 4 with 1873 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

(No subject) on 08:56 - Oct 4 by Pinewoodblue

Strange how small and medium businesses seem less concerned, perhaps they see an opportunity

I noticed that too and the bit about not lending to construction in London......those blasted bursting bubbles!

(No subject) on 09:15 - Oct 4 with 1870 viewsDarth_Koont

I'm sure many are small enough to pivot and find other opportunities. But if they or their bigger customers are part of a supply chain then they will have many of their decisions taken for them.

Everyone's doing a good job of trying to stay optimistic outwardly as confidence is an important value. But I dread to think what happens when a major manufacturer and exporter decides they're better off and can be even more confident by re-organising their supply chain purely within the EU. I fear that the first one to do it will take the initial headlines and PR hit but then the others are free to follow.

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 09:27 - Oct 4 with 1843 viewsStokieBlue

RBS certainly had a lot to do with the crash and recession with the UK but it wasn’t the trigger for the global contagion. That was the collapse of Lehman and the subsequent total seizure of the interbank lending market. Obviously more complicated than that but I don’t think anyone really cares anymore :).

The actual person doing the interview also wasn’t there in 2008. This is worrying though:

“He also said the bank was becoming careful about lending to certain sectors of the economy - particularly retail and construction.”

That could be the worst possible thing to happen in a bad Brexit scenario.

RBS is also in a worse position than many banks due to the restructuring:

“First, as a bank that does almost all its lending in the UK, its fortunes are dependent on those of the economy as a whole.”

Either way, certainly worth taking the opinion on board I would say.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 09:35 - Oct 4 with 1821 viewsPinewoodblue

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 09:27 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

RBS certainly had a lot to do with the crash and recession with the UK but it wasn’t the trigger for the global contagion. That was the collapse of Lehman and the subsequent total seizure of the interbank lending market. Obviously more complicated than that but I don’t think anyone really cares anymore :).

The actual person doing the interview also wasn’t there in 2008. This is worrying though:

“He also said the bank was becoming careful about lending to certain sectors of the economy - particularly retail and construction.”

“First, as a bank that does almost all its lending in the UK, its fortunes are dependent on those of the economy as a whole.”

SB

RBS buying that Dutch bank at a silly price was the trigger as they tried to increase revenue at all costs.

2023 year of destiny

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 09:45 - Oct 4 with 1793 viewsStokieBlue

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 09:35 - Oct 4 by Pinewoodblue

RBS buying that Dutch bank at a silly price was the trigger as they tried to increase revenue at all costs.

Trigger for what?

RBS buying ABN was not the trigger for the global financial meltdown. It did mean that when the meltdown started they weren't in a position to stay afloat but it wasn't the trigger.

The trigger was what I put in my post.

SB

(No subject) on 09:47 - Oct 4 with 1787 viewsfactual_blue

Or are unaware, or aren't involved directly in international trade...

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 09:49 - Oct 4 with 1781 viewsfactual_blue

Should I be investing in a large quantity of tinned food?

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 09:50 - Oct 4 with 1780 viewsKeno

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 09:45 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

Trigger for what?

RBS buying ABN was not the trigger for the global financial meltdown. It did mean that when the meltdown started they weren't in a position to stay afloat but it wasn't the trigger.

The trigger was what I put in my post.

SB

you could actually argue that whatever the trigger was the slow burn fuse was the removal of successive layers of banking regulation, banking liquidity measures and, run the UK specifically, taking oversight away from the bank of England

(oversight was given to a group so inept they make the lookout on the titanic seem eagle eyed - the FCA)

(No subject) on 09:52 - Oct 4 with 1775 viewsFreddies_Ears

They export less. And tend to be less well informed about disruption to component supply and impact of tariffs.
(No subject) on 09:54 - Oct 4 with 1768 viewsfactual_blue

Also one of our arrow-happy brethren thinks 'ironic' means 'untrue'.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2018 9:58]

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 09:58 - Oct 4 with 1762 viewsStokieBlue

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 09:50 - Oct 4 by Keno

you could actually argue that whatever the trigger was the slow burn fuse was the removal of successive layers of banking regulation, banking liquidity measures and, run the UK specifically, taking oversight away from the bank of England

(oversight was given to a group so inept they make the lookout on the titanic seem eagle eyed - the FCA)

Certainly that was a factor, however the main issue with regards to regulations was the reduction of the amount of tier 1 capital banks had to hold and the changes to allow massive leverage (the removal of regulations actually started in the 80's in the US). It meant that when the interbank lending market dried up there was nowhere to access the liquidity they needed to cover their leveraged positions which were about to roll. That market dried up due to the collapse of Lehman which was itself due to a contraction in house prices in the US, especially in the sub-prime sector which lead to lots of defaults on mortgages.

It's actually quite an interesting subject and fairly complicated, but as I said, I don't think many people care anymore. Happy to go into it in more depth if you like though!

SB

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 10:00 - Oct 4 with 1756 viewschicoazul

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 09:27 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

SB

Isnt RBS still largely owned by the Government? I wouldnt be surprised if the Govt use it as an engine to inject finance directly into the economy if the worst does come to pass. A form of QE.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 10:01 - Oct 4 with 1752 viewsStokieBlue

"Brexit recession warning from RBS boss" on 10:00 - Oct 4 by chicoazul

Isnt RBS still largely owned by the Government? I wouldnt be surprised if the Govt use it as an engine to inject finance directly into the economy if the worst does come to pass. A form of QE.

Yes, ~65% government owned.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024