Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The high press 13:30 - Oct 11 with 1677 viewsGeoffSentence

Is it working for us? I can think of two goals that we have given away that have been down to our midfield being wide open due to the high press, M'bro's first and Swansea's second. Have we actually scored as a result of that same tactic?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The high press on 13:33 - Oct 11 with 1665 viewsSimonds92

What hight press? Those goals have come from pressing one player at a time and not as a team. imo there is no cohesion.
The high press on 13:37 - Oct 11 with 1654 viewsPJH

The high press on 13:33 - Oct 11 by Simonds92

What hight press? Those goals have come from pressing one player at a time and not as a team. imo there is no cohesion.

The only evidence of a coordinated high press as a team that I remember so far is for the first few minutes at Sheffield W.
The high press on 13:37 - Oct 11 with 1660 viewsSteve_M

Is this the high press Hurst talked a lot about when he joined or the one we've seen at best for 20 minutes at a time?

Any attempt against Boro failed due to no-one having a clue who was supposed to be where but the Swansea goal was at least down to us having so many players forward for an attack. We could have defended it better but the cause is different.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2018 13:38]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The high press on 13:40 - Oct 11 with 1637 viewsitfcjoe

We haven’t really done it as yet

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The high press on 13:46 - Oct 11 with 1614 viewsGeoffSentence

The high press on 13:37 - Oct 11 by Steve_M

Is this the high press Hurst talked a lot about when he joined or the one we've seen at best for 20 minutes at a time?

Any attempt against Boro failed due to no-one having a clue who was supposed to be where but the Swansea goal was at least down to us having so many players forward for an attack. We could have defended it better but the cause is different.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2018 13:38]

That's the one.

I suppose to be honest if we did it better then there wouldn't have been the space in midfield for either of those two players to move into.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The high press on 14:06 - Oct 11 with 1564 viewsRobTheMonk

If everyone is in unity then it can be effective (see Liverpool). I think it can be quite hard to do at Championship level.
The high press on 14:37 - Oct 11 with 1518 viewsGarv

Hasn't worked as yet. It worked second half on Saturday, we found ourselves in some great positions but as always the last pass or finish let us down.

Realistically was it going to click within the first quarter of the season? Can't argue that you'd like to think we would have seen more of it but after the start we had maybe we had to change the way we've approached games? As boring as it has always sounded, we need to give it time.

I also think it was probably just a line PH used when he came in to make him look and sound good. After Mick we all wanted to know how the new manager wanted to play. As some have pointed out, Shrewsbury, by some accounts, weren't the most entertaining team and often won games by a single goal. As soon as you mention 'high press' it gets people excited and makes them think you're the next Jurgen Klopp. I'm sure the press is something he likes, but it's probably not the be all.

Part of our gaffer's problem, for me, has been how open he's been and how confident he is in his own methods. Putting his stamp on it etc. Obviously this is a good trait to an extent. Its great to hear as a fan but it doesn't half leave you open to criticism if it doesn't work.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The high press on 15:23 - Oct 11 with 1454 viewschristiand

I've not seen much evidence that we actually do it, if I'm being honest.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2018 15:31]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Login to get fewer ads

The high press on 15:35 - Oct 11 with 1432 viewsDarth_Koont

We haven't really pressed at all. No more than any other side would over a dozen games.

That's the biggest disappointment so far in terms of how we've played and how we're meant to be making use of the 25 year-old athletes we've recruited.

I'm hoping that this is because we just haven't had the confidence to get forward in midfield and/or trust the defence behind us.

Pronouns: He/Him

The high press on 16:32 - Oct 11 with 1375 viewsstrikalite

The high press on 15:23 - Oct 11 by christiand

I've not seen much evidence that we actually do it, if I'm being honest.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2018 15:31]

Mboro second half we did, first half was the opposite..

Best high press game I've seen so far in the Championship was Leeds v Mboro, Leeds do it well actually, absolutely no space in the middle at all..
The high press on 17:17 - Oct 11 with 1317 viewsmos

Everyone on here thinks that the high press is always a good tactic to use. Well not always.

It is simply a tactic of which the manager can choose to employ or not, it would often depend on the players available, the team they’re coming up against and the score line.

For example against a hoof ball team such as ourselves, the high press would be a daft tactic to employ.

You also have to nail the high press perfectly for it to work, otherwise it’s a shambles and if played through it the other team will have plenty of space to exploit..

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024