Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's even worse when you look up the road... 08:23 - Oct 22 with 7615 viewsitfcjoe

Scum in 6th place, 3 academy players playing regularly (including Todd Cantwell from Stowmarket ), and Jordan Rhodes from our academy

A bunch of no mark Germans in the squad all playing with an identity and style.

SHows what having some leadership off the pitch in the football side of the club can do - as opposed to an owner who tries to effectively be the Chief Exec too - it is such a tinpot operation here off the field

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:25 - Oct 22 with 2216 viewsPhilTWTD

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:15 - Oct 22 by Townly

The Murphys (£20m+) Maddison (£20m+) now Cantwell and the others you mentioned.

That's a money producing production line whatever off-spin you want to put on it.

I'm suggesting that youth are not lent out on loan and then left to get on with it by the parent club, far from it.

I'm suggesting that Academy A status might have been a lure for Maddison and academy status is the bottom line of any club's youth policy.

Therefore back to my real point about what has happened to our own Academy A ambitions?

The importance of the significance that these seem to have been shelved seems to have been lost amid current woes.

Cat One is not a realistic aim as things stand given the cost, about £5m a year I think, compared to about £2.5 million as Cat Two. I think we've probably had more players come through our system in recent years than Norwich, which I assume was partly why they poached our head of recruitment, Steve McGavin, as part of their overhaul.
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:28 - Oct 22 with 2199 viewsElderGrizzly

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 09:30 - Oct 22 by itfcjoe

I've been saying about a DoF or similar for years is required - it is so obvious.

Evans tries to act as one but is only at the club on a part time basis, and isn't an expert on football

To be fair to Evans he has never tried to act as a DoF.
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:32 - Oct 22 with 2185 viewsoldollie

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:28 - Oct 22 by ElderGrizzly

There are so many areas where investment is needed, the squad, the academy and the stadium just to name a few

Time for Evans to dip into his pockets big style
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:37 - Oct 22 with 2176 viewsitfcjoe

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:28 - Oct 22 by ElderGrizzly

Well when the guy that runs the off pitch side of the club (Milne), the guy that runs the 1st team (Hurst) and the guy that runs the academy (Klug) all report directly into you, then you are effectively the DoF, or Sporting Director, or Chief Exec - especially when you negotiate all the transfers and contracts

And all done on a part time basis
[Post edited 22 Oct 2018 11:38]

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:47 - Oct 22 with 2147 viewsElderGrizzly

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:37 - Oct 22 by itfcjoe

Well when the guy that runs the off pitch side of the club (Milne), the guy that runs the 1st team (Hurst) and the guy that runs the academy (Klug) all report directly into you, then you are effectively the DoF, or Sporting Director, or Chief Exec - especially when you negotiate all the transfers and contracts

And all done on a part time basis
[Post edited 22 Oct 2018 11:38]

Defacto Chief Exec.

A true DoF has impact on footballing philosphy, tactics, identifying recruits etc. Evans does none of that.

We are simply missing a DoF and that issue is firmly Evans fault, especially with an inexperienced man like Hurst as manager. We’ve both been saying we have needed one for years, but we knew MM would never work under one.

The time to get one, was the summer and he failed
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:50 - Oct 22 with 2137 viewsitfcjoe

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:47 - Oct 22 by ElderGrizzly

Defacto Chief Exec.

A true DoF has impact on footballing philosphy, tactics, identifying recruits etc. Evans does none of that.

We are simply missing a DoF and that issue is firmly Evans fault, especially with an inexperienced man like Hurst as manager. We’ve both been saying we have needed one for years, but we knew MM would never work under one.

The time to get one, was the summer and he failed

We've got Dave Bowman employed at the club, we could do a hell of a lot worse than give him the job - he may be Mick's man, but he certainly knows how to run a club

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 12:08 - Oct 22 with 2092 viewsAce_High1

This is the biggest criticism from me this year the lack of our own young players being given a chance. Lets be honest could results be any worse? we are bottom, there is nowhere worse to be.

I have said from the summer the Edun signing is a waste of time and something Evans should not have sanctioned as it goes against the five point plan and developing our own, at least with Nydam here we would be making him better by giving him a little bit of game time.

At least if our academy players are playing they are either gaining experience which will make them better or making a name to enable us to then sell them on at a later date.

I don't know much about him, but for example how far is Dylan Crowe from the first team?

RB has been a problem for us for last few years but he has never even been on the bench and now is attracting the likes of Arsenal. I get he is young, but why not give him a game?
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 12:10 - Oct 22 with 2088 viewsAce_High1

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:50 - Oct 22 by itfcjoe

We've got Dave Bowman employed at the club, we could do a hell of a lot worse than give him the job - he may be Mick's man, but he certainly knows how to run a club

What does he actually do? We seem to pay him to just fill a position but he doesn't seem to fulfil any role? its an open secret he would move on when Mick got another job so as you say either offer him a proper role and give him a list of responsibilities that he can be accountable for or he should have been let go in the summer?
Login to get fewer ads

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 12:13 - Oct 22 with 2079 viewsimsureazzure

Todd Cantwell is from Dereham, his father is from Stowmarket.
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 12:19 - Oct 22 with 2071 viewsPinewoodblue

Advocated, at the start of the year, we should appoint a DoF before we appointed a new manager.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 12:32 - Oct 22 with 2046 viewsElderGrizzly

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 11:50 - Oct 22 by itfcjoe

Assume the open secret that he will jump ship as soon as Mick has a job has stopped us doing that?
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 12:36 - Oct 22 with 2033 viewsAce_High1

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 12:32 - Oct 22 by ElderGrizzly

Assume the open secret that he will jump ship as soon as Mick has a job has stopped us doing that?

In which case he should have gone in the summer?

Otherwise we could have done the same with TC, keep him until Mick gets a new job? Seems ridiculous to me to keep someone who doesn't want to be here long term.
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 12:45 - Oct 22 with 2022 viewsHennikerBlu

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 08:46 - Oct 22 by Townly

Cat 'A' seems to be producing the goods for them as well.

Have we actually given up on that prized asset? Why?

No sooner has Maddison gone than they produce another one who seems nearly as promising. Todd Cantwell is fitting the bill very well by all accounts ... it's turning into a production line.

I put forward the idea that Ipswich needed a Director of Football a few weeks ago, but nobody on here responded.

It does seem the way to go, especially with an inexperienced manager. Instead we have the Marcus and Milne (who?) pairing and neither seems to have much idea when it comes to the nitty gritty of running a professional football club (from transfer business, to PR and on to youth management) in this day and age.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2018 8:52]

Good points, I think you will find there is a decent number of us that would like to see a DoF and have mentioned it, particularly as the number of our signings and comings and goings seemed to lack oversight. Frankly, I have little doubt that an experienced DoF would have restricted the number of lower league players coming in one hit.

Brentford are an example where it works well and they have two people in that role. The counter to that will be that Brentford have currently knocked their youth side on the head (I think it will come back), they still have a development squad (U23) and of course being in London can sniff out loanees and youngsters that have not quite made it with the more local Prem clubs.
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 12:57 - Oct 22 with 1995 viewsHennikerBlu

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 08:36 - Oct 22 by ElephantintheRoom

Unfair comparison. Norwich have deliberately NOT followed the ITFC strategy of selling out to an offshore spiv. They have had their ups and downs and were considered to be in as big a mess as Town all of six weeks ago. Sad to say Norwich are far more connected with their fan base than Town and have retained their identity and integrity - those are really the only differences. Best to compare Town with Blackburn or Coventry.

Serious question was anyone else interested?

Plus the financial mess we were in at the time, seemed more like a desperate sale to ME, just dressed up, as 'ME will be the right man to take as forward'. In fairness he tried, but now we are just in tick over mode.

Norwich have benefitted from Delia a real fan and an investor, plus higher gates and as you correctly point out the club does connect far better with the fans. We joke about their tin pot get togethers, but it all adds to the positive upbeat nature the executive promotes to connect to the fans.

We have a far greater history and yet could do so much more. The £10 promotion being an example. I also think the way PH has come across regarding the academy has hardly enamoured him with our fans or made the academy players feel special. It maybe grim up north, but when you sell a youth player for a £1mil, Klug and team must be doing something right.
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 13:02 - Oct 22 with 1987 viewsitfcjoe

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 12:32 - Oct 22 by ElderGrizzly

I'm genuinely not sure if that is the case now - think his other jobs are the bigger problem as he still works with Nike Academy amongst other things

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 13:08 - Oct 22 with 1966 viewsoldollie

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 13:02 - Oct 22 by itfcjoe

I'm genuinely not sure if that is the case now - think his other jobs are the bigger problem as he still works with Nike Academy amongst other things

I have a controversial view in that both east Anglian clubs are to small to succeed and both clubs should merge to form a club capable of competing with the big buys

A bit like the the 2 Inverness clubs a few years ago

With Norwich owning their stadium use that as the base of the newly formed club

It’s a winner but people are to short sighted to see the possibilities
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 13:14 - Oct 22 with 1943 viewsitfcjoe

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 13:08 - Oct 22 by oldollie

I have a controversial view in that both east Anglian clubs are to small to succeed and both clubs should merge to form a club capable of competing with the big buys

Obvious troll is obvious

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 13:18 - Oct 22 with 1924 viewsHennikerBlu

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 13:14 - Oct 22 by itfcjoe

Obvious troll is obvious

He and his mate have been trolling for the last few days and still people are giving them uppies.

Geez!!!!
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 13:29 - Oct 22 with 1901 viewsBluefish

Surely it would make more sense to keep out stadium, theirs is smaller and more limited besides it would take far too long to transport the contents of our trophy cabinets whereas their would fit in the boot of a small car

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 14:30 - Oct 22 with 1826 viewschicoazul

Hmmmm actually this is an interesting idea. Carrow Road could be used for reserve fixtures, concerts, accidental fires leading to insurance claims, etc.
We could call the newly formed club Ipswich Town FC and play all our games at the world famous Portman Road, wearing a strip of blue and white.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 14:43 - Oct 22 with 1800 viewsNo9

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 09:37 - Oct 22 by SamWhiteUK

What do you mean it was never in question? Were you jealous when he took over there?

Jealous isn't the right word.
I would however have preferred him to PH
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 14:55 - Oct 22 with 1784 viewsGriller

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 10:23 - Oct 22 by PhilTWTD

Only a matter of months ago they overhauled their academy as it was performing poorly so probably a bit premature to hail it as a success. It will also be interesting to see how long they maintain Cat 1 if they remain in the Championship given the cost.

I hear what you are trying to say Phil but I think Norwich supporters will always come up with sufficient funding to maintain Category One football in Norfolk. It was the fans who almost overnight produced £5m to overhaul the facilities at Colney. Essentially the current difference between our respective Clubs is that NCFC is effectively owned by the people whereas ITFC belongs to one man, which is indeed a sad state of affairs.
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 15:00 - Oct 22 with 1770 viewsitfcjoe

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 14:55 - Oct 22 by Griller

I hear what you are trying to say Phil but I think Norwich supporters will always come up with sufficient funding to maintain Category One football in Norfolk. It was the fans who almost overnight produced £5m to overhaul the facilities at Colney. Essentially the current difference between our respective Clubs is that NCFC is effectively owned by the people whereas ITFC belongs to one man, which is indeed a sad state of affairs.

It wasn't the fans that came up with the £5m, it was mostly one big institutional investor.

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 15:06 - Oct 22 with 1750 viewsm14_blue

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 10:26 - Oct 22 by Townly

We all know that.

He matured through their youth system though.

They used their academy status along with money accumulated from their (shortish) PL stay to be able to finance the risk of buying a very young but promising player from a lower league club.

You know sometimes it's fine to just say, 'oh yeah, silly me I forgot that'.
It's even worse when you look up the road... on 15:11 - Oct 22 with 1741 viewsPhilTWTD

It's even worse when you look up the road... on 14:55 - Oct 22 by Griller

Not sure that's realistic bearing in mind the sums involved - are fans going to be able to find a significant part of £5m every season? - and - assuming Norwich remain in the Championship and there isn't a financial injection from elsewhere - at a time when the first team budget will be significantly squeezed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024