Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? 10:28 - Oct 29 with 11822 viewsunstableblue

Our full backs have been a problem for seasons now.

We obviously knew RB was a problem; but like many I’d convinced myself Knudsen was pretty good.

He is not. He has been woeful this season; the amount of turnover ball and mistakes is harming the team. And in previous seasons he has been really limited going forward.

He needs replacing. Now I like Kenlock but is he too lightweight, too inexperienced?

Where do you begin on RB?! How long has it been a problem? It’s years.

Pennington is not quick or attack minded enough; Chambers - don’t go there!; Chalobah - he’s wasted there; i thought Donacien was pretty good but seemed out of favour

Answers on a postcard!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:31 - Oct 29 with 5495 viewsLankHenners

Just play Donacien and Knudsen and get them organised into a solid defensive unit either side of Chambers and Pennington. Easy.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:32 - Oct 29 with 5487 viewsGarv

I really want Kenlock to thrive but he's not going to in our situation, let's be honest. He's much more worth persisting with long term than Jonas. Can't fault his effort and heart, but he's so poor.

Donacien should have played the majority of games at right back. When he has he's played generally well.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:34 - Oct 29 with 5454 viewsSteve_M

Jonas is fine as a left back for where we are, he's not a wingback as not good enough on the ball, but as a fullback he gets up and supports the attack well and crosses well as the number of assists he got last season demonstrates. Knudsen is a long way down our list of problems at the moment.

The real problem this season is that Hurst has made so many changes between matches that no-one knows who they are playing with from week to week. One of the first things I expect Lambert to do is pick a settled defence regularly and build from there.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:40 - Oct 29 with 5420 viewswkj

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:34 - Oct 29 by Steve_M

Jonas is fine as a left back for where we are, he's not a wingback as not good enough on the ball, but as a fullback he gets up and supports the attack well and crosses well as the number of assists he got last season demonstrates. Knudsen is a long way down our list of problems at the moment.

The real problem this season is that Hurst has made so many changes between matches that no-one knows who they are playing with from week to week. One of the first things I expect Lambert to do is pick a settled defence regularly and build from there.

I couldn't agree more, Defence is probably the most important area of the pitch to have nailed down early and get right with minimal tinkering, especially in the modern game where a lot of distribution goes down the flanks- you do not want to chop and change centre-halves for fullbacks willy nilly, especially when you have defenders who are getting used to how the league works.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:44 - Oct 29 with 5390 viewsNo9

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:31 - Oct 29 by LankHenners

Just play Donacien and Knudsen and get them organised into a solid defensive unit either side of Chambers and Pennington. Easy.

& stick with it instead of changing every game + sometimes in the game
It's really not complicated.... on 10:46 - Oct 29 with 5377 viewsBloots

....flat back 4.

Donacien Chambers Pennington Knudsen

Stick with it.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:47 - Oct 29 with 5373 viewshype313

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:34 - Oct 29 by Steve_M

Joke of it is most successful clubs are built from the back with solid foundations, how Hurst couldn't see that just shows how inept he was.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:48 - Oct 29 with 5364 viewsHerbivore

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:32 - Oct 29 by Garv

I really want Kenlock to thrive but he's not going to in our situation, let's be honest. He's much more worth persisting with long term than Jonas. Can't fault his effort and heart, but he's so poor.

Donacien should have played the majority of games at right back. When he has he's played generally well.

Knudsen is twice the player Kenlock is.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:50 - Oct 29 with 5353 viewsHerbivore

A thousand times this. When Jonas goes on a free in the summer it will be to a better side than us. The Knudsen witchhunt is just utterly bizarre, we got 99 problems but our solid international left back ain't one.

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:51 - Oct 29 with 5339 viewswkj

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:50 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

A thousand times this. When Jonas goes on a free in the summer it will be to a better side than us. The Knudsen witchhunt is just utterly bizarre, we got 99 problems but our solid international left back ain't one.

I think Jonas' shortcomings are not as much a personal problem as they are a team problem- I too think he will shine in a team where he has more quality around him.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:53 - Oct 29 with 5322 viewsNo9

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:50 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

Agreed, I don't understand the anti JK stuff
With better players around him he is a good fit for this division

The real problems are in midfield & have been for a long, long time
It's really not complicated.... on 10:54 - Oct 29 with 5316 viewsBasingstokeBlue

It's really not complicated.... on 10:46 - Oct 29 by Bloots

....flat back 4.

Donacien Chambers Pennington Knudsen

Stick with it.

This.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:55 - Oct 29 with 5307 viewsfabian_illness

Knudsen hasn't been great this season but has performed well in previous years.
Hopefully the new management will work WITH the players rather than try to alienate them.
Knudsen is still our best left back, with a bit of coaching and some stability, Im sure he can recover his form.
He actually looked really good as a left sided CB, he could well end up being a better CB than LB and the answer to our lop sided defence although we need him as a solid LB for the foreseeable.
How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 11:02 - Oct 29 with 5283 viewsPinewoodblue

I'm sure having a right footed centre back inside of him doesn't help

Suspect he will try and catch a Swindon game in the international break.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 12:42 - Oct 29 with 5166 viewsGarv

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 10:48 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

Knudsen is twice the player Kenlock is.

A better all round player at the moment I'd probably agree, this is why I added 'long term' to the post.

Kenlock does have at least a bit of promise in terms of forward threat and enthusiasm to get forward and contribute to attacks, getting to the byline etc. If the squad in general was stronger and we were a mid table side then Kenlock would be a better a option to use and develop, in my opinion anyway.

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 12:47 - Oct 29 with 5141 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Kenlock / Chambers / Pennington / Donacien

Best back four. Knudsen is woeful, he won't be here next year. Kenlock is the future and needs a mass run of games.
Knudsen has been here 3/4 years and hasn't improved himself or the team really. Time to change things there.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 12:56 - Oct 29 with 5080 viewsBiGDonnie

Kenlock is better than Knudsen. Emmanuel should never have been loaned out IMO.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 12:59 - Oct 29 with 5058 viewsBiGDonnie

Did you go Saturday? He was an absolute shambles.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 13:00 - Oct 29 with 5052 viewsHerbivore

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 12:56 - Oct 29 by BiGDonnie

Kenlock is better than Knudsen. Emmanuel should never have been loaned out IMO.

Not even Myles Kenlock and Myles Kenlock's mum would agree with you on that one.

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 13:03 - Oct 29 with 5038 viewsHerbivore

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 12:42 - Oct 29 by Garv

A better all round player at the moment I'd probably agree, this is why I added 'long term' to the post.

Kenlock does have at least a bit of promise in terms of forward threat and enthusiasm to get forward and contribute to attacks, getting to the byline etc. If the squad in general was stronger and we were a mid table side then Kenlock would be a better a option to use and develop, in my opinion anyway.

See, I don't even really buy into that. Kenlock's use of the ball isn't very good and he doesn't get up the pitch anymore than Jonas does. Kenlock has made a decent number of appearances for us but, from memory, hasn't scored or set up a single goal. Jonas got more assists than any other left back in the league last season and chipped in with a couple of goals, as he did the year before too. Jonas is just better all round. Maybe Kenlock would benefit from a spell out on loan to see if he develops but he's way behind Knudsen in terms of ability.

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 13:08 - Oct 29 with 5008 viewsDarth_Koont

Quite simple really. He plays our best fullbacks in Donacien and Knudsen. And likely supports them by playing his best players inside and behind them: Chambers paired with Pennington and Bart in goal.

Pronouns: He/Him

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 13:11 - Oct 29 with 4995 viewsPJH

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 13:08 - Oct 29 by Darth_Koont

Quite simple really. He plays our best fullbacks in Donacien and Knudsen. And likely supports them by playing his best players inside and behind them: Chambers paired with Pennington and Bart in goal.

All correct in my view although Bart's form this season is a worry because he has not looked to be the very good 'keeper that we know him to be and his confidence looks completely shot.
He made an error in the first league game that led to the first Blackburn goal and does not seem to have recovered since.
How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 13:17 - Oct 29 with 4961 viewsBecclesITFC

Just asked my Nodge mate. His answer:

"He won't"
PL said
"goals get you out of the league not clean sheets"

So in other words score more than the opposition.
How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 13:18 - Oct 29 with 4950 viewsGarv

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 13:03 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

See, I don't even really buy into that. Kenlock's use of the ball isn't very good and he doesn't get up the pitch anymore than Jonas does. Kenlock has made a decent number of appearances for us but, from memory, hasn't scored or set up a single goal. Jonas got more assists than any other left back in the league last season and chipped in with a couple of goals, as he did the year before too. Jonas is just better all round. Maybe Kenlock would benefit from a spell out on loan to see if he develops but he's way behind Knudsen in terms of ability.

We'll agree to disagree.

It's difficult because Kenlock has never had a run in the side so I don't want to big him up too much.

But for me he's sharper, more tenacious and has better close control. My vision of him is trying to weave between defenders and catch lucky ricochets similar to how Edwards does. His crossing also could be improved. I just feel his energy almost as much as anything else is better than what Jonas offers.

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 13:21 - Oct 29 with 4926 viewsSteve_M

How is Lambert going to fix our full back problem?? on 13:18 - Oct 29 by Garv

We'll agree to disagree.

It's difficult because Kenlock has never had a run in the side so I don't want to big him up too much.

But for me he's sharper, more tenacious and has better close control. My vision of him is trying to weave between defenders and catch lucky ricochets similar to how Edwards does. His crossing also could be improved. I just feel his energy almost as much as anything else is better than what Jonas offers.

Kenlock is better on the ball that Herbi gives him credit for but has one major failing: he can't defend very well. He's ok as cover but Jonas is much better.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024