Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Since when have the plumbing industry 09:05 - Nov 6 with 4030 viewscobbler

Been a rip off ?
Two dripping leaky taps one in the kitchen one in the bathroom a little awkward to get at but basically they just need washers replaced I was quite shocked when I phoned around for a price I would of done it myself but I don’t touch plumbing I’m a bit heavy handed.
Anyway to replace two washers £72 another wanted £60 plus vat to come and take photos to replace the whole tap like for like.when did plumbing become so expensive for little Jobs?
Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:11 - Nov 6 with 3387 viewsCoastalblue

Think about the cost of living, then consider how many "little jobs" can be done in a day.

When I worked as a self employed sparks I had to get more realistic about sensible ricing even for small jobs, I'd have days when after I'd taken travel time, diesel and other associated costs out it was barely worth me going out the door because of the £20-30 jobs.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:15 - Nov 6 with 3368 viewsSwansea_Blue

Think about the cost of replacing your carpets, furniture and ceilings if you tried it yourself

(I'm using my competence as a benchmark)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:25 - Nov 6 with 3340 viewscobbler

Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:11 - Nov 6 by Coastalblue

Think about the cost of living, then consider how many "little jobs" can be done in a day.

When I worked as a self employed sparks I had to get more realistic about sensible ricing even for small jobs, I'd have days when after I'd taken travel time, diesel and other associated costs out it was barely worth me going out the door because of the £20-30 jobs.

It’s cheaper to go through British Gas house insurance and pay the access ,plumbers seem to price themselves out of a job.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 11:50]
Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:25 - Nov 6 with 3343 viewsjeera

Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:11 - Nov 6 by Coastalblue

True of course and then there's supply and demand.

I once needed a plumber for a job and discovered some kind of waiting list of a few months and found myself hanging around plumbing suppliers on industrial estates trying to enlist. No one could be bothered as they all had plenty of work on already.

When you think it's a good £50 to get a gas registered person to 'connect' a cooker, all of around 20 seconds to perform, then there is money to be made. Not 'that' kind of plumber i know, but nonetheless.

My ex's brother is a plumber. He has a boat and a holiday home in France. Not the humble existence it possibly once was.

More tradepersons needed, clearly.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:39 - Nov 6 with 3299 viewsJon_456

I think its quite clear we have a lack of tradesman (sorry, tradespersons) in this country.
Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:42 - Nov 6 with 3277 viewscobbler

Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:39 - Nov 6 by Jon_456

I think its quite clear we have a lack of tradesman (sorry, tradespersons) in this country.

Yep which is going to cause even more problems in years to come .
Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:43 - Nov 6 with 3275 viewsGuthrum

Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:25 - Nov 6 by jeera

True of course and then there's supply and demand.

I once needed a plumber for a job and discovered some kind of waiting list of a few months and found myself hanging around plumbing suppliers on industrial estates trying to enlist. No one could be bothered as they all had plenty of work on already.

When you think it's a good £50 to get a gas registered person to 'connect' a cooker, all of around 20 seconds to perform, then there is money to be made. Not 'that' kind of plumber i know, but nonetheless.

My ex's brother is a plumber. He has a boat and a holiday home in France. Not the humble existence it possibly once was.

More tradepersons needed, clearly.

Not a cheap business to get into. Apart from all the tools and knowlege, getting and keeping up gas certification every year is expensive.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:47 - Nov 6 with 3266 viewsjeera

Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:43 - Nov 6 by Guthrum

Not a cheap business to get into. Apart from all the tools and knowlege, getting and keeping up gas certification every year is expensive.

I'm not disputing that mate.

Just saying it's probably easier to get a painter/decorator in on Xmas day than it is a plumber at sort notice.*

*ref britbiker

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:00 - Nov 6 with 3230 viewsGuthrum

Since when have the plumbing industry on 09:47 - Nov 6 by jeera

I'm not disputing that mate.

Just saying it's probably easier to get a painter/decorator in on Xmas day than it is a plumber at sort notice.*

*ref britbiker

Speaking as a painter/decorator, I'm booked up until January

This thread reminds me, I also ought to start charging a bit more ...

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:14 - Nov 6 with 3193 viewsipswich78

How much do you think they should charge? Don't forget, it's not just time on site. It'll include part of the travel to / from as well which is fair enough don't you think?

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:19 - Nov 6 with 3187 viewsslump

I tell you what. I'll charge* you £30 if you feel this is more reasonable.

* Washers and spanners supplied only. Labour - you can do it ...

UTT

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:22 - Nov 6 with 3178 viewscobbler

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:14 - Nov 6 by ipswich78

How much do you think they should charge? Don't forget, it's not just time on site. It'll include part of the travel to / from as well which is fair enough don't you think?

There less than a mile away from my house,and the washers must cost all of a quid at most £25/30 tops .
Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:23 - Nov 6 with 3175 viewscobbler

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:19 - Nov 6 by slump

I tell you what. I'll charge* you £30 if you feel this is more reasonable.

* Washers and spanners supplied only. Labour - you can do it ...

Ridiculous.missing the point.
Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:23 - Nov 6 with 3178 viewsArnieM

Plumbing has always been a rip off. I’ve had many instances of being charge essay over the odds for work done. Problem is all plumbers appear to do it so it’s very difficult to get a reasonable quote.

You never see a “ poor” plumber or dentist !!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:25 - Nov 6 with 3170 viewscobbler

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:23 - Nov 6 by ArnieM

Plumbing has always been a rip off. I’ve had many instances of being charge essay over the odds for work done. Problem is all plumbers appear to do it so it’s very difficult to get a reasonable quote.

You seem to be 100% correct.
Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:28 - Nov 6 with 3154 viewsArnieM

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:25 - Nov 6 by cobbler

You seem to be 100% correct.

Just previous experience informing comments.

Being ripped off is the biggest thing that annoys me. SO Bloody annoying isn’t it !!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:28 - Nov 6 with 3150 viewsslump

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:23 - Nov 6 by cobbler

Ridiculous.missing the point.

Okay Mr Angry

It'll cost me that to get to and from you is what I was trying to point out.

UTT

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:30 - Nov 6 with 3142 viewscobbler

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:28 - Nov 6 by slump

Okay Mr Angry

It'll cost me that to get to and from you is what I was trying to point out.

No at all angry just a bit bemused.the thing is the plumber was less than a mile away.
Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:33 - Nov 6 with 3140 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's not just plumbing. Any service you google - TV aerual, glazing, electrician - gives you a myriad of rip-off sites once removed from the actual tradesperson. Word of mouth, getting to know someone - it has always been that way in my home owning lifetime - and from my experience use trust a trader, one phone call to a recommended bloke who asked about the job, quoted £60 - basically fixing a new sink and taps with a connectivity issue. He stayed 3 hours and charged £60. Even took the old stuff away. Most impressive.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:37 - Nov 6 with 3122 viewsslump

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:30 - Nov 6 by cobbler

No at all angry just a bit bemused.the thing is the plumber was less than a mile away.

How much do you get paid per hour?

UTT

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:38 - Nov 6 with 3121 viewsfooters

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:30 - Nov 6 by cobbler

Ask Benters, he probably knows one.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Since when have the plumbing industry on 11:19 - Nov 6 with 3064 viewsfactual_blue

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:00 - Nov 6 by Guthrum

Speaking as a painter/decorator, I'm booked up until January

This thread reminds me, I also ought to start charging a bit more ...

..With a three week break over Christmas, of course.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Since when have the plumbing industry on 11:35 - Nov 6 with 3040 viewsitfcjoe

Since when have the plumbing industry on 10:23 - Nov 6 by ArnieM

Have you ever considered that what you think is a ‘reasonable price’ is not reasonable?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Since when have the plumbing industry on 11:41 - Nov 6 with 3023 viewsGeoffSentence

That does sound pricey to me. The parts will be negligible and shouldn't take long to do, which means you are pretty much paying all that for labour. Sixty quid for an hours labour does sound pretty high to me, but what do I know.

Anyway, what bothers me about plumbers is how they like to disappear to screwfix for an hour to get the parts because they don't have them on the van, even when they know precisely what the job is. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were just nipping round the corner for cup of tea for long enough to take it into the next hour's worth of labour.

Call me suspicious, but the unverifiable nature of these trips makes me anxious about being ripped off.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Since when have the plumbing industry on 12:02 - Nov 6 with 2975 viewsCoastalblue

This is going to turn into a "man with van to take sofa to London" thread isn't it?

The cost of being a plumber or electrician these days is several thousands pounds a year before you do a job.

If what you want doing really is as simple as changing two washers, not ceramic discs or removing half of a vanity unit first, then I'd suggest asking a handy man as it will undoubtedly be cheaper. The plumbers will probably thank you.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024