Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do you still support Ipswich? 12:28 - Jan 7 with 10894 viewsBlackboots

I haven’t enjoyed the style of football for years, I don’t like the way Evans runs the club, I don’t rate the vast majority of the squad, Portman Road is run down and lacking atmosphere. Even the relatively minor things like the awful kits this season and dreadful sponsor are getter to me. In truth at the moment I don’t even like the club I used to love.

It’s my team though, I’m stuck with them and will be supporting them long after Evans, Lambert (who I don’t mind) and the players have moved on. It’s over 40 years of memories and friendships. Ipswich have always been a big part of my life and I know they’ll always be my team regardless of what division we’re in and how bad we are.

The most disappointing thing is that last summer a combination of a new manager, a lot of new players joining, the Sir Bobby film screening at the club, My Blue Heaven at the Wolsey and a few other things meant I felt more optimistic and connected to the club than I had for a long time.

Right now the future of the club looks bleak and I think we’re facing years of us in the lower leagues with a decaying stadium and dwindling support.

I’ll still go to games but it’s to catch up with friends (although a lot have stopped going), out of a sense of duty and because we all know your football team is for life. Does anyone on here actually still enjoy supporting the club we are now and feel optimistic about the future of Ipswich Town?

Poll: Do you want George Burley as our next manager ?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 22:16 - Jan 7 with 1139 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Because we’re all Ipswich ain’t we?

No matter how angry this club makes me. No matter how sad I am when the sh*t hits the fan. Or how tough it is to take when we lose to Scum in the playoffs or sell our best players, or look certs for relegation.

Because all those low points are the making of a club. And when we get that one glory season, it’ll mean far more to us. Those losses at grounds like Rotherham and Hull will be worth it for that one year.

And until we get that year, I’ll continue to celebrate late equalisers at Barnsley as ‘absolute scnees’. Because really, that’s all we want isn’t it? Some fun. Some wins. Some celebrations. I’d give anything to see Town get into the fourth round of the cup. Or to see us beat the Scum. I’d love nothing more than to see Town get promoted. One day..

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 22:28 - Jan 7 with 1120 viewsMelford

Because it has and always will be the only constant in my life, from 7 when I first went to when I peg it I'll always be Town. People and everything else will come and go but it's like it's implanted in your brain. I only have one tattoo and that's the Town badge on my arm, it's the only thing I want permanently etched upon my body.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 22:29 - Jan 7 with 1117 viewsIPS_wich

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 12:39 - Jan 7 by urbanblue

The amazing thing is that, if anything, I am feeling more passion for the club then I have for years. During the end of Mick's tenure I was numb .. Even to the extent that I was starting to lose interest. Living in Australia I am able to watch the games on I follow but last season I couldn't be arsed to get up at 2am to do so. I reckon I only watched 6 or 7 games. This season I have watched nearly every game, going to bed earlier and setting the alarm to get up ... Spending more time then ever on here. Blue blood is pumping through me and I am feeling it more then ever!!

Ipswich til I die!!

Like you I now live down under, but bring in WA it means I can stream games from 11pm until 1am.

What this season has made me realise is that I was stuck in a rut with Ipswich, I still loved em, but I was no longer as passionate. I put this down to getting older and being the other side of the world. However, the last six months have made me realise I bleed ITFC, because what is happening hurts so much. I can’t erase 37 years of support, and the only positive I can take out of this experience is that like a marriage going a bit stale, you either fight or take flight...and I reckon for many of us we will choose the former.

That’s not true, there is another positive and that is my grandad who had been watching ITFC since day one in the 30s and hadn’t missed a home game from 1964 until he died three years ago wont have had to experience these three seasons.

Ipswich till I die.
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 22:31 - Jan 7 with 1112 viewsRyorry

You can't "unsupport" a club if it's in your blood - it'd be like trying to strip all the red cells out (except of course they're actually coloured blue in the case of ITFC fans ) and then to carry on living. Physically impossible!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 22:40 - Jan 7 with 1087 viewsbritbiker

I am in my mid 50"s now but when I was a teen my first dog was buried in my ipswich scarf. Also when my mum died recently I found my first ipswich shirt on a teddy bear in her bedroom.
I also refused to go to my sister"s wedding in 1979 unless she let me wear my ipswich scarf. She agreed but had her revenge by getting me drunk for the first time and had me pogoing to the Sex Pistols in front of the whole family.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2019 0:26]
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 23:13 - Jan 7 with 1064 viewsPremierBlue

An enchanted and psychologically intimate relationship. It is part of who I am. My identity. Maybe the best part...

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 23:54 - Jan 7 with 1044 viewsRyorry

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 22:40 - Jan 7 by britbiker

I am in my mid 50"s now but when I was a teen my first dog was buried in my ipswich scarf. Also when my mum died recently I found my first ipswich shirt on a teddy bear in her bedroom.
I also refused to go to my sister"s wedding in 1979 unless she let me wear my ipswich scarf. She agreed but had her revenge by getting me drunk for the first time and had me pogoing to the Sex Pistols in front of the whole family.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2019 0:26]

Don't tell Fergalsharkey this for god's sake, or he'll be pogoing to the Wham stadium next season ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 00:24 - Jan 8 with 1032 viewsbritbiker

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 23:54 - Jan 7 by Ryorry

Don't tell Fergalsharkey this for god's sake, or he'll be pogoing to the Wham stadium next season ...

Yes. He does seem to have a story in him that one
Login to get fewer ads

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 04:49 - Jan 8 with 971 viewsharlingblue

It's in the blood. Watching 3rd Division South as a kid, the wonderful Ramsey years when we won the equivalent to The Premiership first go.
Those magical years of Robson, after a poor season, we made the FA cup final against Arsenal at Wembley...at last, us supporters had another day to remember...and what a day. With talented youth, hand picked younger players and the added Dutch masters of Murhen and Tyson, we had seasons to admire, Europa Cup, was our only reward when we deserved so much more.
Another Wembley triumph under Burley secured Prem League football, but we did too well the following season finishing 6th in the League and getting into The Europa Cup.
We thought that we were going to be big time, squandered money, lost the soul of the team and got relegated. We have never really recovered from this. ME saved us from administration, gave his all in getting what should have been a good Manager in Roy Keane, who destroyed our club, wasting money and discarding our better young players.
MM gave us Championship security, one good year of fun, soured by his team selection against Manchester United away in the Cup, and then his dislike of us, the fans.
Paul Lambert, I have faith in him, has a big heart, has played at the highest level, must sort out what players Paul Hurst brought in that are worth keeping, discard the rest (loan out etc), use the best of the youth (forget their age) and get in a few old heads, just like Bobby Robson did, when he faced relegation. That is why I support Ipswich.
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 07:31 - Jan 8 with 946 viewsfergalsharkey

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 12:48 - Jan 7 by lowhouseblue

it's basically a curse isn't it. but when the good times return it will all have been worth it. when we win promotion from division 2 back to division 1 in about 2026 we'll look back and be thankful that we hung on in there.

They wont return.
We are doomed for a life in leagues 1/2.
How can a club like this with no assets a rented ground crap attendances extremely poor management at board level no investment just fire fighting sums ever come back.
Don't think we are Leeds sheff utd's man city wolves or even Norwich cos we ain't.
We are a piss poor club playing in a decrepit old stadium.

Poll: Cook out?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024