Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do you still support Ipswich? 12:28 - Jan 7 with 10899 viewsBlackboots

I haven’t enjoyed the style of football for years, I don’t like the way Evans runs the club, I don’t rate the vast majority of the squad, Portman Road is run down and lacking atmosphere. Even the relatively minor things like the awful kits this season and dreadful sponsor are getter to me. In truth at the moment I don’t even like the club I used to love.

It’s my team though, I’m stuck with them and will be supporting them long after Evans, Lambert (who I don’t mind) and the players have moved on. It’s over 40 years of memories and friendships. Ipswich have always been a big part of my life and I know they’ll always be my team regardless of what division we’re in and how bad we are.

The most disappointing thing is that last summer a combination of a new manager, a lot of new players joining, the Sir Bobby film screening at the club, My Blue Heaven at the Wolsey and a few other things meant I felt more optimistic and connected to the club than I had for a long time.

Right now the future of the club looks bleak and I think we’re facing years of us in the lower leagues with a decaying stadium and dwindling support.

I’ll still go to games but it’s to catch up with friends (although a lot have stopped going), out of a sense of duty and because we all know your football team is for life. Does anyone on here actually still enjoy supporting the club we are now and feel optimistic about the future of Ipswich Town?

Poll: Do you want George Burley as our next manager ?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:34 - Jan 7 with 3698 viewsbritbiker

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 13:51 - Jan 7 by footers

Cheaper than a dominatrix, but the same effect.

Screwed?
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:35 - Jan 7 with 3697 viewsReuser_is_God

Because they’re my team & they always will be.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:38 - Jan 7 with 3683 viewsDinnernotTea

Because I'm still madly in love with the club as much as when I first started staring at the North Stand as a 4 year old and they were singing "Johnny Lyall's Blue and White Army." I fell in love that day and have been obsessed ever since. I could reel off all our fixtures until Leeds at home because I can't stop thinking about this club. I am Ipswich born and raised and fiercly loyal. Football is tribal and I love my town a lot.

We will be third tier and it will hurt like hell but stick with it and bring others along. John Cobbold, Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson would all want that.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:46 - Jan 7 with 3665 viewsFtnfwest

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:32 - Jan 7 by ITFC_Forever

Because every now and again, there is a moment which makes it all worth it. Admittedly, they've been thin on the ground recently, but they do happen, even to us.

Chaplow at Watford being the best recent example, but more recently, Celina vs Leeds a year ago, Edwards vs Norwich this season, Harrison v the Blunts a few weeks ago - they may not have ultimately counted for much and are obviously relatively tepid moments compared to some of the bigger ones over the years.... but when they come along, and the bigger and more intense they are, it makes it all worth it.

Edwards against Norwich...for 10-15 minutes afterwards.... the home leg of the play off semi briefly as well..
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:52 - Jan 7 with 3646 viewsBurwell_Blue

I find myself becoming optimistic before every single match, telling myself this will be the game where we rip it up and suddenly start playing aggressive, quick, free flowing football.

That feeling is normally gone by 15:45
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:54 - Jan 7 with 3654 viewskeighleyblue

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:32 - Jan 7 by ITFC_Forever

Because every now and again, there is a moment which makes it all worth it. Admittedly, they've been thin on the ground recently, but they do happen, even to us.

Chaplow at Watford being the best recent example, but more recently, Celina vs Leeds a year ago, Edwards vs Norwich this season, Harrison v the Blunts a few weeks ago - they may not have ultimately counted for much and are obviously relatively tepid moments compared to some of the bigger ones over the years.... but when they come along, and the bigger and more intense they are, it makes it all worth it.

I was lucky enough to see my first game in 1975 (Luton at home on Boxing Day - we were top of the league and lost). All through my school years - when bragging rights really mattered - we were one of the top 2 teams in the country. So I take the view that i was incredibly lucky to see the ITFC glory years when it mattered most, in my formative years, and i'm not about to turn my back now because we're in a downswing.
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:54 - Jan 7 with 3652 viewsfooters

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:34 - Jan 7 by britbiker

Screwed?

Screwed, humiliated, beaten (again), the list goes on. Wonder if there's a fetish gear shop that would sponsor us in L1?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 15:03 - Jan 7 with 3633 viewsBlueBadger

Because, unlike someone who changes their job, car or partner someone who changes their football club is definitely not to be trusted.

See also: David Mellor, Tim Lovejoy.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 15:04 - Jan 7 with 3635 viewsfooters

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 15:03 - Jan 7 by BlueBadger

Because, unlike someone who changes their job, car or partner someone who changes their football club is definitely not to be trusted.

See also: David Mellor, Tim Lovejoy.

David Cameron's Aston Ham/West Villa scenario.

Forgetting which team you support is like forgetting your own mother's name.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 15:25 - Jan 7 with 3609 viewshoppy

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:54 - Jan 7 by footers

Screwed, humiliated, beaten (again), the list goes on. Wonder if there's a fetish gear shop that would sponsor us in L1?

League 1 Whipping Boys?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 16:20 - Jan 7 with 3577 viewsHeathlander

Ipswich is my Town. Ipswich is my team. I have had some of the greatest moments of my life following ITFC. Memories that will stay with me till I die. Fantastic away days and European trips. Great games, great wins and made some great friends through ITFC.

I started going in 1974 and was taken to games by my Dad's best friend Keith. I stood on my Corona crate in Churchmans. Silk scarf and bobble hat. Silvell, Burley, Mills, Talbot, Hunter, Beattie, Hamilton, Viljoen, Johnson, Whymark, Lambert, Woods. Uncle Keith made me memorise the team before he would take me. I can still reel it off today.

It's Uncle Keith's funeral tomorrow. That man gave me Ipswich Town and for that I will forever be in his debt.
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 16:23 - Jan 7 with 3570 viewsjontysnut

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 14:00 - Jan 7 by MedwayTractor

Spot on.

I was born within sight and sound of Portman Road and went to my first game at PR with my Dad when I was about 9 or 10. I couldn't care less about any other club, although there are some for which I have respect and some which I detest.

"Ipswich 'til I die" sums it up for me. Marcus Evans and Paul Lambert are merely caretakers, we'll be following Town long after they have moved on.

I remember as a kid being in the back garden on winter afternoons. The smell of Tolly Cobbold and the maltings in the air. I could hear the crowd and knew I wanted to be there. I pestered my dad to take me with him. Standing on a box on the East stand paddock, then Churchmans and eventually the North with my mates. You can't give up on all that even if it is tough at the moment.

I do look forward to being able to read the sports pages again though..
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 16:28 - Jan 7 with 3551 viewschicoazul

I don't, really. I go to maybe 5 games a year if that and often I don't even know we are playing. I enjoy TWTD much more than supporting Ipswich.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 18:08 - Jan 7 with 3501 viewsLuciBlue

HOME TOWN.

Poll: If you had to take one option..

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 18:24 - Jan 7 with 3487 viewscarlisleaway

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 18:08 - Jan 7 by LuciBlue

HOME TOWN.

Like others on this board, I have supported the team I love since 1964 and seen many highs and lows.i believe the sad state we find ourselves in has pulled the fan base together.
Yes it will be very sad when we eventually get relegated but that much sweeter when we do get back to the Championship.
I have 2 grandsons and hopefully they will follow there Grandfather when they are 5 by following Ipswich Town
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 18:29 - Jan 7 with 3479 viewstextbackup

Same as you mate.

But I tell you what, I have felt empty when it comes to Town for so long (3 years approx) I rarely have a beer pre/post match these days so the day is only ever about the football for me (kids and shift work putting a stop to the Saturday sessions currently)

Had MM not gone I wouldn’t have been back this year, I just couldn’t face it. As it was I have remained a ST holder, still not massively enjoyed it, but against Millwall I got something back, and it was purely down to that first half seeing our boys and their passing. It excited me and took me back to better times (Burley) I even got angry about the ref and booted a chair (I’ve since lost the toe nail!!)

When I saw we were 1-0 vs Acc I felt really sad, no anger, just really sad. And the wife could see that it really got to me and said why do I bother.... the truth now is that I don’t really have an answer, but I’m addicted to ITFC. Got my nephew a half season ticket for Xmas (age 7) and when I see him sat in the pioneer from from seat, looking over at the NS when a song kicks off, then hearing him talk about it, I get the whole lump in throat, because I see myself in him, how excited he is just to be there.

My great grandad followed Town until his last breathe, my grandad does now, parents, uncle cousins, it’s a family thing, no matter what. We’re fcking town int we.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 18:35 - Jan 7 with 3468 viewswkj

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 18:29 - Jan 7 by textbackup

Same as you mate.

But I tell you what, I have felt empty when it comes to Town for so long (3 years approx) I rarely have a beer pre/post match these days so the day is only ever about the football for me (kids and shift work putting a stop to the Saturday sessions currently)

Had MM not gone I wouldn’t have been back this year, I just couldn’t face it. As it was I have remained a ST holder, still not massively enjoyed it, but against Millwall I got something back, and it was purely down to that first half seeing our boys and their passing. It excited me and took me back to better times (Burley) I even got angry about the ref and booted a chair (I’ve since lost the toe nail!!)

When I saw we were 1-0 vs Acc I felt really sad, no anger, just really sad. And the wife could see that it really got to me and said why do I bother.... the truth now is that I don’t really have an answer, but I’m addicted to ITFC. Got my nephew a half season ticket for Xmas (age 7) and when I see him sat in the pioneer from from seat, looking over at the NS when a song kicks off, then hearing him talk about it, I get the whole lump in throat, because I see myself in him, how excited he is just to be there.

My great grandad followed Town until his last breathe, my grandad does now, parents, uncle cousins, it’s a family thing, no matter what. We’re fcking town int we.

Regarding Stanley; I was the same way - I saw it, felt gutted, then in no way surprised. Skip back to when we lost against Lincoln, I was furious ans spitting feathers and baying for Evans' blood (hypothetically) - Now it just feels like another thrust up the arse as I stare out the window remembering how things used to be.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 18:48 - Jan 7 with 3454 viewsLancsBlue

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 18:08 - Jan 7 by LuciBlue

HOME TOWN.

This is exactly it. I was born in Ipswich and brought up in Suffolk My dad took me to my first match when I was seven. He has passed away now but I will always remember his words; "there are two things in life that you can never change, your relatives and your football team, for good or bad you are stuck with both". I moved to Manchester nearly 30 years ago, am married to a Manchester City season ticket holder. She goes with her dad, brother, uncle and our kids are both City fans. They have been on at me for years to go with them and I've been a few times. The football is great, but they simply are not my team and I find it impossible to get excited about them. So whilst they watched City v Liverpool last Thursday night I went to Accrington two days later. I will never change and neither do I want to.

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 19:02 - Jan 7 with 3434 viewsPecker

I am an Ipswich supporter. I Will always support Ipswich regardless of results, league, position or style of play.
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 19:02 - Jan 7 with 3434 viewsLeagueOne

4th generation supporter.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Why do you still support Ipswich? on 20:33 - Jan 7 with 3382 viewssouth_aussie_blue

Stuck with them ...

Like someone who fell in love with the most beautiful woman in the world ...

Fast forward 30 odd years and they are unemployable, have ballooned in weight and just spend the days eating takaway and jumbo bags of crisps and dropping salsa down their stained xxxl hoodie on the couch while watching Netflix ... her father dispite his wealth just pays for her basic Netflix subscription rather than show her any real interest or love ...

Spend my days hoping she will turn her life around and become the person I fell in love with once more ... I gaze at others but none match the beauty of what I experienced in 1981 ... it's my own fault ... i should just leave ...

Still could be worse ... could be married to that buck toothed, trophy dodging simpleton married to her brother up the A140
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 20:44 - Jan 7 with 3369 viewsWickwar_Blue

Because I know of nothing else
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 21:01 - Jan 7 with 3355 viewsLightningboy

Because they’re in my blood and I have no other choice than to stick with them..good times and bad.

Although a big part of my love for the club died the day George Burley got sacked & it’s never been quite the same since.
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 21:27 - Jan 7 with 3333 viewsgt81

I support them courtesy of my old man, who is Suffolk born.

In truth, I have no real affinity for the Town/County myself which is why my passion has waned somewhat with the clubs fortunes. Ironically, we've lived in Norfolk since 1994 and I work in Norwich. Lived in the city for a couple of years. No danger of switching allegence though. Hurts that more being based on this side of the border, nobody to blub with!
[Post edited 7 Jan 2019 21:29]
Why do you still support Ipswich? on 21:54 - Jan 7 with 3305 viewsSpruceMoose

Don't have any other choice. Born and grew up in Chantry. If Town ceased to exist I wouldn't follow football at all. I'd stick to cricket.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024