Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Diane is having a nightmare tonight 23:13 - Jan 17 with 11207 viewsStokieBlue

My MP not putting up a great display on Question Time this evening. Labour HQ must be drafting the retractions at this very moment.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 11:41 - Jan 18 with 2144 viewsNo9

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 11:33 - Jan 18 by StokieBlue

Fair enough, I thought it was like Newsnight where they request someone to attend and the party office decides who to send (if anyone).

She is shadow home secretary, she should surely get a lot of invites?

No 9 has a narrative in every post, regardless of the actual points being discussed it's the same response. He never used to post like that, I can only assume he's thoroughly fed-up with our current politics like most of us are.

SB
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 11:34]

I am indeed fed up with current politics and even more fed up with the BBC in particular not presenting political and news programmes in a more balanced way.

I get frustrated at thw witch hunt against Mr Corbyn NOT becuse I am a supporter, I am not, neither am I a member of the labour party BUT, all this is taking attention away from the real issues at stake and what the actual problems are.

What is going on with this parliament is an afront to the british people, who can all the MP's who voted down the governemtn then vote to protect the very people who they keep telling us aren't doing the job properly - that is tribal politics at its worst & is making us a laughing stock around the world.
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 11:44 - Jan 18 with 2138 viewsZedRodgers

Disgraceful stuff from the BBC last night. The vilification of Diane Abbott becasue she's a black woman continues.

The Diane Abbott witch hunt is one of the most disappointing developments in our politics. The abuse she receives is unwarranted - and before you pile in with reasons why her "incompetency" is some kind of justification for the abuse she receives, take a moment to understand the kinds of things that are said to her. It's a lot worse than the pedantic shout downs the Gammon on here are allowed to get away with at the same time as ogling over Oakeshott. Sort yourselves out.

The latest farcical question of Abbott's ability to count has come as a result of her responding to Oakeshott's claim that Labour were "miles behind" in the polls. Abbott replied with "Just as a point of information, in the polls overall we are currently level pegging".

Oakeshott then came out with "you're six points behind, Diane", which host Fiona Bruce confirmed with "You’re behind, Diane. Definitely" - met by laughter and oinking from a crowd desperate to see her humiliated. This is such a misrepresentation that it's obvious so many people's motivations have nothing to do with facts and figures.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1074032/BBC-Question-time-Fiona-Bruce-Diane-Ab

-Survation - Labour +3%
-ComRes - Labour +2%
-TNS - Labour +3%
-BMG - Labour 0% (level)
-Opinium - Labour 0% (level)
-Populus - Labour +3%
-Panelbase - Labour +3%
-Ipsos - Labour 0% (level)
-YouGov - Tories +5%

So who is it that can't fkcing count?

No, not at the moment

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 11:51 - Jan 18 with 2111 viewsCoachRob

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 11:41 - Jan 18 by No9

I am indeed fed up with current politics and even more fed up with the BBC in particular not presenting political and news programmes in a more balanced way.

I get frustrated at thw witch hunt against Mr Corbyn NOT becuse I am a supporter, I am not, neither am I a member of the labour party BUT, all this is taking attention away from the real issues at stake and what the actual problems are.

What is going on with this parliament is an afront to the british people, who can all the MP's who voted down the governemtn then vote to protect the very people who they keep telling us aren't doing the job properly - that is tribal politics at its worst & is making us a laughing stock around the world.

Well said No9.

I was told off this week by Stokie for using emotive language talking about the political economy. Stokie appears to be turning into a gatekeeper for the politics we all detest. Shame because many of his posts on science I have a great deal of time for and enjoy reading.
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 11:59 - Jan 18 with 2091 viewsNo9

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 11:44 - Jan 18 by ZedRodgers

Disgraceful stuff from the BBC last night. The vilification of Diane Abbott becasue she's a black woman continues.

The Diane Abbott witch hunt is one of the most disappointing developments in our politics. The abuse she receives is unwarranted - and before you pile in with reasons why her "incompetency" is some kind of justification for the abuse she receives, take a moment to understand the kinds of things that are said to her. It's a lot worse than the pedantic shout downs the Gammon on here are allowed to get away with at the same time as ogling over Oakeshott. Sort yourselves out.

The latest farcical question of Abbott's ability to count has come as a result of her responding to Oakeshott's claim that Labour were "miles behind" in the polls. Abbott replied with "Just as a point of information, in the polls overall we are currently level pegging".

Oakeshott then came out with "you're six points behind, Diane", which host Fiona Bruce confirmed with "You’re behind, Diane. Definitely" - met by laughter and oinking from a crowd desperate to see her humiliated. This is such a misrepresentation that it's obvious so many people's motivations have nothing to do with facts and figures.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1074032/BBC-Question-time-Fiona-Bruce-Diane-Ab

-Survation - Labour +3%
-ComRes - Labour +2%
-TNS - Labour +3%
-BMG - Labour 0% (level)
-Populus - Labour +3%
-Panelbase - Labour +3%
-YouGov - Tories +5%

When you look at who the BBC have on their political programmes it is difficult not to draw the conclusion that the BBC is both right wing and pro-brexit.

Even though there has been a lot of complaints about it they continue to ignore it & carry on with the same guests

The daily politics programme is a prime example but it is not watched by that many people due to the time it is shown
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:00 - Jan 18 with 2080 viewsNo9

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 11:51 - Jan 18 by CoachRob

Well said No9.

I was told off this week by Stokie for using emotive language talking about the political economy. Stokie appears to be turning into a gatekeeper for the politics we all detest. Shame because many of his posts on science I have a great deal of time for and enjoy reading.

I used to read most of Stokies posts but recently has has become much less objective not looking at things that don't fit his new agenda
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:06 - Jan 18 with 2070 viewsSwansea_Blue

-Survation - Labour +3%
-ComRes - Labour +2%
-TNS - Labour +3%
-BMG - Labour 0% (level)
-Populus - Labour +3%
-Panelbase - Labour +3%
-YouGov - Tories +5%

Great post. I'm not convinced there's evidence that she's singled out because she's black, or at least I haven't seen any. But otherwise, yep agree that she's treated badly. If the BBC were baiting her and winding up the audience off air, that's disgusting.

Trouble is she's also genuinely put her foot in it from time to time, so makes herself an easy target Nothing wrong with challenging her when she does get things wrong, but if that turns into systematic bullying then it's clearly wrong.

Poll summary interesting too.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 12:11]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:08 - Jan 18 with 2064 viewschicoazul

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 23:47 - Jan 17 by jeera

Hmph. It would be helpful if they were all better versed in the subjects they deal with on a daily basis.

On a separate note, I don't like that Oakeshott much, but given the option, you would wouldn't you.

My Isobel definitely has that "Think's shes right wing but isnt really only does it to please the officer class boys" blonde bombshell walk on your back thing going on, or maybe that's just me.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:09 - Jan 18 with 2061 viewsSwansea_Blue

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 11:41 - Jan 18 by No9

Pretty much how I feel too (and not a Corbyn supporter either - it's a sad indictment of where we are that we even have to point this out to avoid being dismissed by people who just want to play the man and not the ball).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:14 - Jan 18 with 2045 viewsblueislander

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 11:59 - Jan 18 by No9

When you look at who the BBC have on their political programmes it is difficult not to draw the conclusion that the BBC is both right wing and pro-brexit.

Even though there has been a lot of complaints about it they continue to ignore it & carry on with the same guests

The daily politics programme is a prime example but it is not watched by that many people due to the time it is shown

What I find odd is that most right leaning people think that the BBC is run by left wingers. My conclusion from that is that it must be fairly balanced, and if you have an agenda you will find “evidence” to suit your agenda.
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:24 - Jan 18 with 2018 viewsNo9

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:14 - Jan 18 by blueislander

What I find odd is that most right leaning people think that the BBC is run by left wingers. My conclusion from that is that it must be fairly balanced, and if you have an agenda you will find “evidence” to suit your agenda.

You have a point & I have long held the view that the BBC does have some obligations toward helping any government in presentign their policies but now things have, in my view, gone too far as an example they give far too much time to Iain Dale a right wing blogger, now they have started giving air time to representatives aof Guido Fawkes and have been presenting the Taxpayers alliance as a think tank.
That is not what an objective and non biased broadcaster should be putting on air - & that is just the tip of the iceberg
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:29 - Jan 18 with 2005 viewsStokieBlue

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:00 - Jan 18 by No9

I used to read most of Stokies posts but recently has has become much less objective not looking at things that don't fit his new agenda

You are entitled to think that but if anyone has become less objective it is you. You never actually respond to the post made, every response is turned into an anti-Tory and anti-media rant regardless of the subject matter.

I'd love to hear what my "new agenda" is, please enlighten me.

SB

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:31 - Jan 18 with 2003 viewsStokieBlue

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 11:51 - Jan 18 by CoachRob

Well said No9.

Please explain how I am "a gatekeeper for the politics we all detest"?

I post on here regularly about how both main parties are dross and how politics is generally in a terrible way so interested to hear your explanation of the above.

SB

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:31 - Jan 18 with 1998 viewsZedRodgers

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:06 - Jan 18 by Swansea_Blue

Great post. I'm not convinced there's evidence that she's singled out because she's black, or at least I haven't seen any. But otherwise, yep agree that she's treated badly. If the BBC were baiting her and winding up the audience off air, that's disgusting.

Trouble is she's also genuinely put her foot in it from time to time, so makes herself an easy target Nothing wrong with challenging her when she does get things wrong, but if that turns into systematic bullying then it's clearly wrong.

Poll summary interesting too.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 12:11]

I agree that her being black isn't everybody's motivation for not listening to her views or disagreeing with her. I would also definitely agree that every politician should be challenged when they are wrong. Without posting whataboutery examples of other politicians getting figures drastically wrong and going unchallenged, I do think Abbott receives disproportionate - and in this case - completely unwarranted abuse.

Some of the things that are said to her are beyond disgusting.

In this case, she's being shouted down by a BBC audience and host, when she was actually right. I can't believe that this kind of witch hunt would take place if she wasn't a black woman. I'm not suggesting anybody here has directly said anything racist, but an opposition to a black woman in a high profile position is what this narrative is built on.

Oakeshott lies and misrepresents figures = cringe-worthy leering from Jeera, Pinewood and Co.

Abbott corrects a misrepresentation = she's having a nightmare, comedy gold and even a "she got where she is by sh@gging the boss" from BloomBlue

No, not at the moment

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:37 - Jan 18 with 1993 viewsStokieBlue

-Survation - Labour +3%
-ComRes - Labour +2%
-TNS - Labour +3%
-BMG - Labour 0% (level)
-Populus - Labour +3%
-Panelbase - Labour +3%
-YouGov - Tories +5%

Some interesting points raised there.

If Bruce did that before the show then it's totally out of order. Does seem to only be that source for the accusation but if true then she would have some explaining to do.

On the pro-brexit audience, Derby was nearly 60% remain so that isn't that surprising (I suspect the audience in Islington the week before was skewed the other way), although they should try and make a balanced audience if possible. It's also unfortunate that leave votes tend to make much more noise.

On the polls she should have clarified what she was referencing. By YouGov she is right (which is what is most often quoted). Looking at the others she clearly isn't right but without know the populations used to conduct those polls it's impossible to know the relevance. The Daily Fail is appalling, I think we can agree on that.

On the subject of Diane herself, she shouldn't be subjected to any abuse, I think everyone can agree that. That doesn't however mean we cannot criticise her for not being a very good politician. She might have been flustered last night but the responses she gave were very poor, often against cited Labour policy ("we are willing to move on all points" - clearly not true).

SB
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 12:47]

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:38 - Jan 18 with 1991 viewsCoachRob

Rather than right versus left I think of in terms of a neo-liberal whitewash. The people who are selected from the "left" are often people who support the neo-liberal agenda.
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:39 - Jan 18 with 1988 viewsStokieBlue

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:31 - Jan 18 by ZedRodgers

I agree that her being black isn't everybody's motivation for not listening to her views or disagreeing with her. I would also definitely agree that every politician should be challenged when they are wrong. Without posting whataboutery examples of other politicians getting figures drastically wrong and going unchallenged, I do think Abbott receives disproportionate - and in this case - completely unwarranted abuse.

Some of the things that are said to her are beyond disgusting.

In this case, she's being shouted down by a BBC audience and host, when she was actually right. I can't believe that this kind of witch hunt would take place if she wasn't a black woman. I'm not suggesting anybody here has directly said anything racist, but an opposition to a black woman in a high profile position is what this narrative is built on.

Oakeshott lies and misrepresents figures = cringe-worthy leering from Jeera, Pinewood and Co.

Abbott corrects a misrepresentation = she's having a nightmare, comedy gold and even a "she got where she is by sh@gging the boss" from BloomBlue

I agree all that abuse is unacceptable.

"Abbott corrects a misrepresentation = she's having a nightmare".

I didn't reference a single point, I felt her performance in general was very poor. She didn't seem to know policy or respond to points coherently. To take one sentence and use that to counter the point isn't really the right thing to do either.

SB

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:53 - Jan 18 with 1947 viewsNo9

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:29 - Jan 18 by StokieBlue

You are entitled to think that but if anyone has become less objective it is you. You never actually respond to the post made, every response is turned into an anti-Tory and anti-media rant regardless of the subject matter.

I'd love to hear what my "new agenda" is, please enlighten me.

SB

Your new agenda is clearly refusing to accept who is in governemtn & who has been negotiating the leave agreement and as you did recently deny that two labour MP's had a duty to go to a meeting with the government because of their posiitons in selct committees.

The fact Mrs May took over negotiating personally and screwed up, can't control her party is not a fault of the tories but of Mr Corbyn if you don't mean that change what you post
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:04 - Jan 18 with 1927 viewsStokieBlue

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:53 - Jan 18 by No9

Your new agenda is clearly refusing to accept who is in governemtn & who has been negotiating the leave agreement and as you did recently deny that two labour MP's had a duty to go to a meeting with the government because of their posiitons in selct committees.

The fact Mrs May took over negotiating personally and screwed up, can't control her party is not a fault of the tories but of Mr Corbyn if you don't mean that change what you post

Right I am getting rather tired of this total nonsense.

"Your new agenda is clearly refusing to accept who is in governemtn & who has been negotiating the leave agreement"

Total nonsense, I repeatedly say the Tories are rubbish and that May is rubbish. Also highlighting that the opposition have been rubbish and contributed to the mess isn't an agenda, it's the political truth. You are the one who continually refuses to see it.

"you did recently deny that two labour MP's had a duty to go to a meeting with the government because of their posiitons in selct committees."

I didn't deny anything, I didn't actually reply to your post because there was no point. You have literally made this up which reflects rather badly on you. On the point you have raised, Benn said he thought JC's letter was a request and thus he didn't feel he needed to follow it regardless of his other positions. I don't see how this is relevant though.

"The fact Mrs May took over negotiating personally and screwed up, can't control her party is not a fault of the tories but of Mr Corbyn if you don't mean that change what you post"

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. May is rubbish. I've covered the rest in my first paragraph.

Can you please stop making stuff up now?

SB
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 13:07]

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:10 - Jan 18 with 1911 viewsCoachRob

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:31 - Jan 18 by StokieBlue

Please explain how I am "a gatekeeper for the politics we all detest"?

I post on here regularly about how both main parties are dross and how politics is generally in a terrible way so interested to hear your explanation of the above.

SB

"Both main parties are dross"

This is not an emotive statement then? You criticise people for using emotive language and then do the same yourself. You either inherently fail to understand politics is a emotive subject or are trying to shut down debate with gatekeeping of what is and isn't allowed.

You can hammer a black Cambridge graduate but the white Eton, Oxford PPE graduate gets off scot free - if you want to show objectivity pick a subject and discuss.
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:11 - Jan 18 with 1911 viewsWithnail

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:37 - Jan 18 by StokieBlue

Some interesting points raised there.

If Bruce did that before the show then it's totally out of order. Does seem to only be that source for the accusation but if true then she would have some explaining to do.

On the pro-brexit audience, Derby was nearly 60% remain so that isn't that surprising (I suspect the audience in Islington the week before was skewed the other way), although they should try and make a balanced audience if possible. It's also unfortunate that leave votes tend to make much more noise.

On the polls she should have clarified what she was referencing. By YouGov she is right (which is what is most often quoted). Looking at the others she clearly isn't right but without know the populations used to conduct those polls it's impossible to know the relevance. The Daily Fail is appalling, I think we can agree on that.

On the subject of Diane herself, she shouldn't be subjected to any abuse, I think everyone can agree that. That doesn't however mean we cannot criticise her for not being a very good politician. She might have been flustered last night but the responses she gave were very poor, often against cited Labour policy ("we are willing to move on all points" - clearly not true).

SB
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 12:47]

What about the repeated bias of the actual panel.

4-1 remain last night. Same the week before...
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:14 - Jan 18 with 1900 viewschicoazul

When the BBC annoys all political extremists you know it's doing its job properly.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:17 - Jan 18 with 1892 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 10:52 - Jan 18 by Clapham_Junction

As far as I'm aware, the BBC do invite specific MPs.

It does make you wonder why Abbott keeps getting invited.

Not sure what narrative that fits though ;)

1) she’s Shadow Home Secretary
2) she generates good ratings and publicity for the show

So not really a surprise that she keeps getting invited. Of course, Abbott could decline in which case the BBC would no doubt ask for another Labour MP - so clearly she/they do have a choice

There is perhaps a small argument that she can only turn down so many times before an ‘Abbott refuses to appear on TV’ story breaks, but again no sure that’s so much a sign of BBC bias, just the expectation from high profile politicians

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:18 - Jan 18 with 1889 viewsStokieBlue

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:10 - Jan 18 by CoachRob

"Both main parties are dross"

This is not an emotive statement then? You criticise people for using emotive language and then do the same yourself. You either inherently fail to understand politics is a emotive subject or are trying to shut down debate with gatekeeping of what is and isn't allowed.

You can hammer a black Cambridge graduate but the white Eton, Oxford PPE graduate gets off scot free - if you want to show objectivity pick a subject and discuss.

"This is not an emotive statement then? You criticise people for using emotive language and then do the same yourself. You either inherently fail to understand politics is a emotive subject or are trying to shut down debate with gatekeeping of what is and isn't allowed. "

I wouldn't say that is an emotive statement, it's an opinion and pretty different to what you were doing the other day. I don't think I've ever tried to shut down a debate - can you find an instance of this happening?

"You can hammer a black Cambridge graduate but the white Eton, Oxford PPE graduate gets off scot free - if you want to show objectivity pick a subject and discuss."

What has race or education got to do with it? She's my MP and I thought her performance was terrible. How is that not objective? You are the one bringing those other factors into the equation without any form of justification. Do you want me to highlight who else was poor? I think her being the shadow home secretary, one of the most important positions in the shadow cabinet means her performance can be evaluated and criticised.

I don't even understand the last part of your paragraph I am afraid. Happy for you to clarify it.

SB
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 13:25]

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:19 - Jan 18 with 1877 viewsNo9

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:04 - Jan 18 by StokieBlue

Right I am getting rather tired of this total nonsense.

"Your new agenda is clearly refusing to accept who is in governemtn & who has been negotiating the leave agreement"

Total nonsense, I repeatedly say the Tories are rubbish and that May is rubbish. Also highlighting that the opposition have been rubbish and contributed to the mess isn't an agenda, it's the political truth. You are the one who continually refuses to see it.

"you did recently deny that two labour MP's had a duty to go to a meeting with the government because of their posiitons in selct committees."

I didn't deny anything, I didn't actually reply to your post because there was no point. You have literally made this up which reflects rather badly on you. On the point you have raised, Benn said he thought JC's letter was a request and thus he didn't feel he needed to follow it regardless of his other positions. I don't see how this is relevant though.

"The fact Mrs May took over negotiating personally and screwed up, can't control her party is not a fault of the tories but of Mr Corbyn if you don't mean that change what you post"

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. May is rubbish. I've covered the rest in my first paragraph.

Can you please stop making stuff up now?

SB
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 13:07]

It isn't total nonsense Stokie, you challenged me over Hilary Benn, I suggested you llok at what his parliamentary duty you didn't respond.
Last night non BBC Benn & Ms Cooper confirmed they met with Mrs May in their official capacity.

You wanted Corbyn to call a vote of no confidence I told you it was a waste of time & what would happen
You contiinually blame Mr Corbyn when often the problem is with the FTPA which you refuse to accept.

The overall problem is a tory problem going back to the 60's it is not for another party to resolve their internal issues and, I suggest the taxpayer shpuld not pay for their fight.

As aside just about everyon e who has come out of meeting over this debalc either said they had to meet with her aides or she wasn't listening and they are having to write to her and make their point and you make this all the oppositions fault?

Any government no matter what colour should resolve it's internal problems.
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:20 - Jan 18 with 1868 viewslowhouseblue

-Survation - Labour +3%
-ComRes - Labour +2%
-TNS - Labour +3%
-BMG - Labour 0% (level)
-Populus - Labour +3%
-Panelbase - Labour +3%
-YouGov - Tories +5%

abuse is very bad and is unacceptable.

in all honesty do you think abbott is a suitable person to be home secretary?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024