Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Diane is having a nightmare tonight 23:13 - Jan 17 with 11208 viewsStokieBlue

My MP not putting up a great display on Question Time this evening. Labour HQ must be drafting the retractions at this very moment.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:24 - Jan 18 with 2979 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:06 - Jan 18 by Swansea_Blue

Great post. I'm not convinced there's evidence that she's singled out because she's black, or at least I haven't seen any. But otherwise, yep agree that she's treated badly. If the BBC were baiting her and winding up the audience off air, that's disgusting.

Trouble is she's also genuinely put her foot in it from time to time, so makes herself an easy target Nothing wrong with challenging her when she does get things wrong, but if that turns into systematic bullying then it's clearly wrong.

Poll summary interesting too.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 12:11]

No evidence but I don’t doubt her being black is a major factor, and probably the fact she’s a woman too if we’re honest. Without doubt some comments and abuse towards her is completely abhorrent

However - as you point out the fact she is prone to such gaffes is also very much a factor, and it’s quite obvious that she’s a car crash waiting to happen on these shows. So quite why she or Labour keep putting her in this position is beyond me

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:24 - Jan 18 with 2979 viewsStokieBlue

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:19 - Jan 18 by No9

It isn't total nonsense Stokie, you challenged me over Hilary Benn, I suggested you llok at what his parliamentary duty you didn't respond.
Last night non BBC Benn & Ms Cooper confirmed they met with Mrs May in their official capacity.

You wanted Corbyn to call a vote of no confidence I told you it was a waste of time & what would happen
You contiinually blame Mr Corbyn when often the problem is with the FTPA which you refuse to accept.

The overall problem is a tory problem going back to the 60's it is not for another party to resolve their internal issues and, I suggest the taxpayer shpuld not pay for their fight.

As aside just about everyon e who has come out of meeting over this debalc either said they had to meet with her aides or she wasn't listening and they are having to write to her and make their point and you make this all the oppositions fault?

Any government no matter what colour should resolve it's internal problems.

Now I am getting really tired of this.

"It isn't total nonsense Stokie, you challenged me over Hilary Benn, I suggested you llok at what his parliamentary duty you didn't respond.
Last night non BBC Benn & Ms Cooper confirmed they met with Mrs May in their official capacity. "

So I was right, I didn't deny anything. You've decided that because I didn't respond you would decide I denied it. The reason I didn't respond is clear to anyone reading these responses.

"ou wanted Corbyn to call a vote of no confidence I told you it was a waste of time & what would happen "

Where did I want him to call a vote of no confidence? If anything I wouldn't want that as a GE would be literally the least helpful thing at the moment. At best I might have said he should call one rather than asking her to resign but I don't even think I said that.

"You contiinually blame Mr Corbyn when often the problem is with the FTPA which you refuse to accept. "

What am I blaming JC for which is the fault of the FTPA? I think JC is accountable for a lot of stuff, but I don't think I've ever blamed him for anything which that covers?

"The overall problem is a tory problem going back to the 60's it is not for another party to resolve their internal issues and, I suggest the taxpayer shpuld not pay for their fight. "

Of course the Tories have internal issues. That doesn't mean the opposition get a free pass in their handling of the Brexit debates which seems to be what you want to give them. I spend plenty of time criticising the Tories - they have been rubbish.

SB
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 13:43]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:28 - Jan 18 with 2963 viewsNo9

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:20 - Jan 18 by lowhouseblue

abuse is very bad and is unacceptable.

in all honesty do you think abbott is a suitable person to be home secretary?

In the same context look at the government front bench how many of those are suitable for senior government positions?
More relevant because they are in power.
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:28 - Jan 18 with 2967 viewsitfcjoe

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:24 - Jan 18 by No9

You have a point & I have long held the view that the BBC does have some obligations toward helping any government in presentign their policies but now things have, in my view, gone too far as an example they give far too much time to Iain Dale a right wing blogger, now they have started giving air time to representatives aof Guido Fawkes and have been presenting the Taxpayers alliance as a think tank.
That is not what an objective and non biased broadcaster should be putting on air - & that is just the tip of the iceberg

BBC tries to be impartial but ends up giving voices to those who don't deserve one.

If there was a debate as to whether the world was flat, they'd have a flat earther on there talking their rubbish - and it gives it validation.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:32 - Jan 18 with 2955 viewsitfcjoe

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:38 - Jan 18 by CoachRob

Rather than right versus left I think of in terms of a neo-liberal whitewash. The people who are selected from the "left" are often people who support the neo-liberal agenda.

Listened to an interesting podcast on this, but was about politics in the US.

The candidates need to raise so much money to stand that they have to have big business then dictating things. Was a guy trying to stand as a Dem, on a Medicare platform, but he ended up getting beaten out by someone because he couldn't hit funding targets and the bloke that beats him is just a neo-liberal taking money from various big business and adapting his message to suit. Very interesting.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/649/its-my-party-and-ill-try-if-i-want-to

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:52 - Jan 18 with 2926 viewsBluesquid

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 12:38 - Jan 18 by CoachRob

Rather than right versus left I think of in terms of a neo-liberal whitewash. The people who are selected from the "left" are often people who support the neo-liberal agenda.

Yes, that's the new left, the Blairites.

The neo libs and the new left Blairites are one and the same.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 13:53]
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:57 - Jan 18 with 2918 viewsNo9

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:52 - Jan 18 by Bluesquid

Yes, that's the new left, the Blairites.

The neo libs and the new left Blairites are one and the same.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 13:53]

No the neo-libs are the followers of Hayek, the father of neo-liberalism. itwas said Mrs Thatcher carried a copy of his theories in her handbag, she certainly followed his economic principles as did Cameron /Osborne
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:01 - Jan 18 with 2914 viewsBluesquid

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:57 - Jan 18 by No9

No the neo-libs are the followers of Hayek, the father of neo-liberalism. itwas said Mrs Thatcher carried a copy of his theories in her handbag, she certainly followed his economic principles as did Cameron /Osborne

When it comes to foreign policy and illegal wars they are one and the same.
Login to get fewer ads

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:01 - Jan 18 with 2910 viewsGlasgowBlue

Osborne borrowed and spent money like a drunken Keynesian.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:02 - Jan 18 with 2914 viewschicoazul

And Blair & Brown.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:04 - Jan 18 with 2908 viewsNo9

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:01 - Jan 18 by GlasgowBlue

Osborne borrowed and spent money like a drunken Keynesian.

No he didn't he borrowed too muc money and gave it to companies who gave it to shareholders instead of making it work
Remember Carrillion?
Now look at his mess with the Nuclear power stations
And HS2 whihc is in serious difficulties

Just to name three things
A Keynsian disciple wouldn't have done that would he?
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:09 - Jan 18 with 2902 viewsZedRodgers

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 13:20 - Jan 18 by lowhouseblue

abuse is very bad and is unacceptable.

in all honesty do you think abbott is a suitable person to be home secretary?

I certainly think she would be more suitable than the current Home Secretary - The man who appointed Mark Allen, technical director of Celotex (who made the Grenfell cladding) as a government building adviser before the fire, refused to sack him following the fire and has ignored every question asked about it.

Or the previous Home Secretary - The woman famed for her mass racist and illegal deportations. The woman made to resign after being caught directly lying about the targets set to deport 13000 people in 2017-18.

Or even the Home Secretary before that - Mrs Hostile Environments. The architect of the Windrush scandal. The woman that said a senior policeman was "crying wolf" when he described the future terror attacks that would be enabled by the cuts they were faced with.

Obviously, I'm only cherry-picking a handful of extreme incidents, but I would like to know what your criteria is for a "suitable person to be home secretary". I appreciate Diane Abbott has not yet been in the position of Home Secretary and is yet to have the opportunity to be responsible for ripping thousands of families apart, but could you point me to one thing Diane Abbott has done that indicates she's any less "suitable" than anybody else who has held the position?

This is not whataboutery. Diane Abbott has not done anything on the scale of the misery caused by recent Home Secretaries - In fact in most cases she has been at the forefront of fighting against the injustices that have taken place.

Saying she's "not suitable", "useless", "a car crash" or any other empty and baseless opinions won't cut it with me.

No, not at the moment

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:14 - Jan 18 with 2887 viewsNo9

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:09 - Jan 18 by ZedRodgers

I certainly think she would be more suitable than the current Home Secretary - The man who appointed Mark Allen, technical director of Celotex (who made the Grenfell cladding) as a government building adviser before the fire, refused to sack him following the fire and has ignored every question asked about it.

Or the previous Home Secretary - The woman famed for her mass racist and illegal deportations. The woman made to resign after being caught directly lying about the targets set to deport 13000 people in 2017-18.

Or even the Home Secretary before that - Mrs Hostile Environments. The architect of the Windrush scandal. The woman that said a senior policeman was "crying wolf" when he described the future terror attacks that would be enabled by the cuts they were faced with.

Obviously, I'm only cherry-picking a handful of extreme incidents, but I would like to know what your criteria is for a "suitable person to be home secretary". I appreciate Diane Abbott has not yet been in the position of Home Secretary and is yet to have the opportunity to be responsible for ripping thousands of families apart, but could you point me to one thing Diane Abbott has done that indicates she's any less "suitable" than anybody else who has held the position?

This is not whataboutery. Diane Abbott has not done anything on the scale of the misery caused by recent Home Secretaries - In fact in most cases she has been at the forefront of fighting against the injustices that have taken place.

Saying she's "not suitable", "useless", "a car crash" or any other empty and baseless opinions won't cut it with me.

"Or even the Home Secretary before that - Mrs Hostile Environments. The architect of the Windrush scandal. The woman that said a senior policeman was "crying wolf" when he described the future terror attacks that would be enabled by the cuts they were faced with. "

According to Glasgow this was all down to labour
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:15 - Jan 18 with 2884 viewsNo9

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:02 - Jan 18 by chicoazul

And Blair & Brown.

Show me how B&B followed Hayek's economic doctrine?
The minimum wage alone shows they didn't
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:20 - Jan 18 with 2878 viewslowhouseblue

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:09 - Jan 18 by ZedRodgers

it is whataboutery. pure and simple.

the trouble with your quasi-religious approach to politics is that it puts you in the position of having to defend someone like abbott being shadow home secretary. for you to say - "actually she'e really not up to it" would involve your whole theological structure falling in upon itself. and the more you try to justify someone like abbott being put up for high office the sillier you look.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:26 - Jan 18 with 2860 viewsZedRodgers

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:20 - Jan 18 by lowhouseblue

the trouble with your quasi-religious approach to politics is that it puts you in the position of having to defend someone like abbott being shadow home secretary. for you to say - "actually she'e really not up to it" would involve your whole theological structure falling in upon itself. and the more you try to justify someone like abbott being put up for high office the sillier you look.

So you don't have anything to offer then?

Just that she's not up to it.

No, not at the moment

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:28 - Jan 18 with 2850 viewsDarth_Koont

"Not being up to it" hasn't been levelled nearly as much as it should at the government and their appointees. And strange to see everything become: "Yeah, well what about Labour?"

David Davis as Brexit Minister?
Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary?
Liam Fox as Trade Minister?
Teresa May as Prime Minister?

And that's just the crack team who were central to us managing Brexit ...

All hideously unsuited to their posts and criminally unaware of their own incompetence too.

Who would have actually done worse - and how?

Pronouns: He/Him

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:32 - Jan 18 with 2843 viewsNo9

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:28 - Jan 18 by Darth_Koont

"Not being up to it" hasn't been levelled nearly as much as it should at the government and their appointees. And strange to see everything become: "Yeah, well what about Labour?"

All hideously unsuited to their posts and criminally unaware of their own incompetence too.

& Ms Truss & Mr Raab
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 15:07 - Jan 18 with 2824 viewsZedRodgers

I think her widely documented dedication to fighting the injustices of the Windrush scandal and the illegal detention centres are grounds alone for her to be "up for it". This is a woman who has been involved in countless campaigns for social justice.

Did you know more than a decade ago The Spectator awarded her with 'Parliamentary Speech of the Year' for her opposition of the Labour government of the time's 42 day detention proposal?

Take a look. She also won an Human Rights Award for it from Liberty. This is in the era where it wasn't fashionable to vilify her. You know, back when people had respect for the first black female MP that has held every government to account for more than 30 years. Were you saying she wasn't up for it or that she wasn't suitable when she was on Ed Miliband's front bench?

I think the question here is really for you to justify your opinion on why she would not be up for it. All you say is "someone like Abbott is not up for it", "someone like Abbott would not be suitable". What do you mean?
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 15:12]

No, not at the moment

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 15:41 - Jan 18 with 2799 viewsWD19

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 15:07 - Jan 18 by ZedRodgers

I think her widely documented dedication to fighting the injustices of the Windrush scandal and the illegal detention centres are grounds alone for her to be "up for it". This is a woman who has been involved in countless campaigns for social justice.

Did you know more than a decade ago The Spectator awarded her with 'Parliamentary Speech of the Year' for her opposition of the Labour government of the time's 42 day detention proposal?

Take a look. She also won an Human Rights Award for it from Liberty. This is in the era where it wasn't fashionable to vilify her. You know, back when people had respect for the first black female MP that has held every government to account for more than 30 years. Were you saying she wasn't up for it or that she wasn't suitable when she was on Ed Miliband's front bench?

I think the question here is really for you to justify your opinion on why she would not be up for it. All you say is "someone like Abbott is not up for it", "someone like Abbott would not be suitable". What do you mean?

'More than a decade ago' Iván Campo could have done a job for us in midfield.
Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 15:47 - Jan 18 with 2790 viewsGlasgowBlue

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:28 - Jan 18 by Darth_Koont

You make a very fair point regarding the Tory front bench but do honestly think Abbott is a better choice than Yvette Cooper?

Labour have a wealth of talent on the back benches who would be far more suited to the positions taken up on the front bench.

Of course the reason they won't serve on the front bench is because they have zero confidence in Corbyn.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 15:50 - Jan 18 with 2791 viewschicoazul

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 14:15 - Jan 18 by No9

Show me how B&B followed Hayek's economic doctrine?
The minimum wage alone shows they didn't

Hayek was in favour of the minimum wage.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 15:53 - Jan 18 with 2782 viewsZedRodgers

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 15:41 - Jan 18 by WD19

'More than a decade ago' Iván Campo could have done a job for us in midfield.

Yes, because he was a sportsman.

No, not at the moment

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 15:55 - Jan 18 with 2779 viewschicoazul

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 15:07 - Jan 18 by ZedRodgers

Dianne Abbott is an absolute wally and a Commie who thinks Mao was alright, but there is no doubt that at least some and probably a lot of the stick she gets is down to her being a black woman.

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 15:55 - Jan 18 with 2777 viewsWD19

Diane is having a nightmare tonight on 15:53 - Jan 18 by ZedRodgers

Yes, because he was a sportsman.

Diane Abbott was a competent back-bench, campaigning MP.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024