Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. 11:42 - Jan 20 with 34392 viewsBrixtonBlue

They say the universe started with a big bang... but you can't have something just appearing out of nothing. Therefore, the universe can't have a beginning - and yet must do (because it exists). A paradox.

Similarly, if the universe is expanding (like they say it is), what is it expanding into? And whatever that is, what is on the other side of THAT? Therefore, the universe must go on forever... and yet can't do (everything has an end or edge). Another paradox.

Both of these paradoxes suggest the universe shouldn't exist. Its existence doesn't make sense.

Well surely then, the only logical conclusion is that it DOESN'T exist?!

It's either a figment of our imagination... or a purposely created virtual reality?

I appreciate this last bit isn't a new idea (The Matrix) - but how else do you explain the two paradoxes?

I hope someone can answer soon as I'm off to the Royal Observatory at Greenwich to watch a couple of shows about space and I don't want it to be a waste of time!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 10:48 - Jan 22 with 1784 viewseireblue

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 10:39 - Jan 22 by BrixtonBlue

To add - water presumably still exists on Earth the way it does because of our unique position in the cosmos (i.e. distance from the sun). Any closer, for example, and the water would just evaporate.

Water could evaporate, but it would need to overcome gravity to escape.

Same reason air doesn’t just wander off into space.
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:57 - Jan 22 with 1742 viewsBloomBlue

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 09:39 - Jan 22 by StokieBlue

The Galileo probe confirmed the subterranean ocean in 1997 and it’s subsequently been verified by Juno and pictures from New Horizons. There is no debate about their being an ocean on Europa. In fact Callisto, Ganymede and Enceladus also have oceans. You don’t have to land on something to have hard evidence, using science confirmation can be achieved via many methods.

“It always makes me laugh scientist can write something down as theory and its automatically fact but the same dismiss the bible because its theory written in a book without hard evidence.”

It might make you laugh but this whole sentence is a false equivalence. It’s also nonsense. No science is stated as fact without evidence, that’s why it’s called a theory.

You’ve managed to be wrong about every point in your post.

SB

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:25 - Jan 22 with 1736 viewsStirlingArcher

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 09:00 - Jan 22 by BloomBlue

So much wrong with that, no space craft has landed on Europa yet so it's all theory and no hard evidence. It always makes me laugh scientist can write something down as theory and its automatically fact but the same dismiss the bible because its theory written in a book without hard evidence.

I call it the science of gaps

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 22:07 - Jan 22 with 1670 viewstcblue

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 07:27 - Jan 22 by StokieBlue

I thought the accepted current theory was that most of the surface water was delivered sitting cometary bombardment during the primeval stage of the solar system?

Be interested to see the mantle link if you have it, would make sense for plenty of water to be stored there nowadays. The Earth's oceans aren't that huge relatively. For instance a moon like Europa which contains a global ocean contains more water whilst being much smaller.

SB

Sorry, had a hectic day at my job of Not Being A Scientist, so as always take this with a pinch of "enthusiastic amateur", but there's a few main schools of thought as to how water got onto our planet:

- cosmic events such as meteorite strikes
- ice formed during the proto-solar nebula was a major part of earth's initial make up when it was initially formed; or early atmospheres of significantly different gasses combined with the heat and energy of proximity to a star
- the mantle link, hypothesised by the ringwoodite discoveries:

https://www.iflscience.com/environment/huge-underground-ocean-discovered-towards

It's perhaps likely that it's a combination of all of those, or maybe none.

Science! Our changeable friend
Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 09:58 - Jan 23 with 1613 viewsslump

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:37 - Jan 21 by Oldsmoker

About this God thing.
There are 8 major religion/belief systems in the world.
Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Bhuddism, Hinduism, Sikhism, Taoism and Confucianism.
They all claim a creator and that theirs is the only true faith/belief.
If only one is the true faith then it stands to reason that the rest are false. So, have you picked the right faith/belief because if you haven't then your afterlife is going to be hell.

Does Bhuddism claim a creator?

UTT

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 10:26 - Jan 23 with 1604 viewsBloomBlue

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 09:58 - Jan 23 by slump

Does Bhuddism claim a creator?

Yes I believe it's Mike Ashley
Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:23 - Jan 23 with 1581 viewsjjblue84

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 12:25 - Jan 22 by StirlingArcher

We await the proof of climate change, evolution, etc...in the meantime, happy believing!!
Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:28 - Jan 23 with 1571 viewsBrixtonBlue

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:23 - Jan 23 by jjblue84

We await the proof of climate change, evolution, etc...in the meantime, happy believing!!

You can await it if you want, most normal people have seen the proof of both.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:31 - Jan 23 with 1569 viewsStokieBlue

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:23 - Jan 23 by jjblue84

Evolution?

What proof do you feel is missing?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:37 - Jan 23 with 1561 viewsjjblue84

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:28 - Jan 23 by BrixtonBlue

You can await it if you want, most normal people have seen the proof of both.

Not using the scientific method...this is the paradox of scientific belief!
Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 13:25 - Jan 23 with 1517 viewstcblue

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 11:31 - Jan 23 by StokieBlue

Evolution?

What proof do you feel is missing?

SB

He has yet to grow opposable thumbs
Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 13:43 - Jan 23 with 1506 viewsjjblue84

Science bods... can you help? I think I've solved the mystery of the universe. on 13:25 - Jan 23 by tcblue

He has yet to grow opposable thumbs

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024