Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Supposed impending split in the Labour Party 09:03 - Feb 18 with 4620 viewsGuthrum

The increasingly desperate noises from the tribal leadership are possibly an indication it might really happen this time. Tho I'm not holding my breath.

Plus I really hope some Conservatives also defect if a new party is formed. Plus the ERG hiving off to Farage's new Brexit Party.

We do need a shake-up in UK politics.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:23 - Feb 18 with 2076 viewsfooters

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:20 - Feb 18 by Guthrum

In reality, a split will strengthen Labour as a left-wing, Corbynist-McDonnellist party. They will be able to formulate policies unfettered by the moderates or Blairites.

And, as part of a coalition, probably stand a better chance of getting into government.

Thanks for your serious reply, Guthers. To tell the truth I'm not really with it today, feeling a bit under the weather so not gone into work. Jokey one-liners are about my limit!

It will be a relief for them to take their agitating elsewhere.Surely coincidental that a majority of them held leadership aspirations, I'm sure.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:24 - Feb 18 with 2068 viewsGuthrum

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:18 - Feb 18 by catch74

Seven MPs leave Labour Party http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47278902

That's a decent-sized tranche, including potential leadership material.

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:26 - Feb 18 with 2057 viewsGuthrum

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:22 - Feb 18 by Pinewoodblue

Suspect there will be a number of deselections, prior to next election, in both major parties.

Deselections do not prevent an MP from standing, as long as they can find their deposit. Plus they may be able to count upon a split in the constituency membership for support (e.g. leafletting) as an independent, even in the absence of a new party structure.

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:29 - Feb 18 with 2043 viewsNo9

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:24 - Feb 18 by Guthrum

That's a decent-sized tranche, including potential leadership material.

A decent sized tranche but what do they stand for?

Chucka U talks a good job but is he a doer?
Chris - wishy washy Leslie represents what?

Any political party needs a leader - prsently if the Battersea Dogs home came up with a good German Shepherd they would walk it

And, if this group leaves one party how will they be seen by others/ Remeber the gang of 4 - 'talked the talk' OK but could never 'walk the walk'

Hard brexit chances now increase, don't they?
Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:32 - Feb 18 with 2031 viewsGuthrum

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:29 - Feb 18 by No9

Any political party needs a leader - prsently if the Battersea Dogs home came up with a good German Shepherd they would walk it

And, if this group leaves one party how will they be seen by others/ Remeber the gang of 4 - 'talked the talk' OK but could never 'walk the walk'

Except this group might be prepared to vote for May's Deal (or something close to it). Gives her a few more crucial votes.

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:41 - Feb 18 with 2007 viewsLord_Lucan

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:32 - Feb 18 by Guthrum

Except this group might be prepared to vote for May's Deal (or something close to it). Gives her a few more crucial votes.

At this present time I welcome all individual splits from any party.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:42 - Feb 18 with 2007 viewsNo9

That's a proplem isn't it?
There is nothing good at all about Mrs Mays proposal.

But I think this split will only embolden the tories
Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:57 - Feb 18 with 1970 viewsMullysplace1

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 09:15 - Feb 18 by GlasgowBlue

I can see people like Soubry and Wollaston breaking away eventually but they are dissatisfied over one issue, Brexit, whereas the Labour breakaway is caused by two issues, Brexit and (sorry to mention it again) antisemitism. So the Labour split will be far greater than that on the Tory benches.

l wish Anna Sourface would p!ss off, miserable old bat that she is. I still remember her sulking the day the brexit results came in, saying she would have to resign, she never did, and has been sulking like a spoilt kid ever since.
Login to get fewer ads

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:00 - Feb 18 with 1968 viewsLord_Lucan

There should however now be a bi-election in all these seats, although I don't suppose there will be.

They were voted in under the Labour party manifesto

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:01 - Feb 18 with 1958 viewsfactual_blue

No longer 'supposed'....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:07 - Feb 18 with 1939 viewsSwansea_Blue

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 09:15 - Feb 18 by GlasgowBlue

I can see people like Soubry and Wollaston breaking away eventually but they are dissatisfied over one issue, Brexit, whereas the Labour breakaway is caused by two issues, Brexit and (sorry to mention it again) antisemitism. So the Labour split will be far greater than that on the Tory benches.

There you go again. How many threads is it know that you've hijacked for this crusade of yours?

I think you and Herbie are right. The Tories will do anything (including wrecking the country) to stick together & we'll see a larger Labour split. This has been brewing for a while in Labour - the writing was on the wall when Ed was pushed by the Unions ahead of his brother imo. And it obviously builds on the Blairites/Brownites issues (and no doubt goes back further still, not that I was paying attention then).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:14 - Feb 18 with 1927 viewsNo9

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:07 - Feb 18 by Swansea_Blue

There you go again. How many threads is it know that you've hijacked for this crusade of yours?

I think you and Herbie are right. The Tories will do anything (including wrecking the country) to stick together & we'll see a larger Labour split. This has been brewing for a while in Labour - the writing was on the wall when Ed was pushed by the Unions ahead of his brother imo. And it obviously builds on the Blairites/Brownites issues (and no doubt goes back further still, not that I was paying attention then).

The labour party has been split for decades hasn't it?
The split has been opening & closing over the years depending on how the country was doing as a whole.
The tories have tremendous media support = the best political lie machine in the world- labour have a massive uphill battle because of this = the wrongs will always bee exaggerated the rights covered over.

I don't see this group changing anything
Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:20 - Feb 18 with 1920 viewsWeWereZombies

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 09:29 - Feb 18 by Steve_M

Yes, anyone who claims to be certain that British politics will revert to old patterns after the last few years really hasn't been paying attention.

Nick Cohen was good last week on the reasons why Labour needs to split but I agree that the Tories are equally being held together by the thinnest margins at present.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/the-corbyn-crack-up/

If Brexit goes ahead and goes disastrously wrong, as it will without nay semblance of a deal, then who knows what will happen once the public start sharing out blame.

I did not buy it but that was an interesting read from The Spectator, one sentence that did ring true was:

'For all the world they sound like Scottish Labour politicians circa 2005, taking their voters for granted and guffawing at the notion that the SNP could ever sweep through the Labour heartlands.'

But the boot is on the other foot now, an ex-SNP supporter I spoke to recently agreed that they were a busted flush but I am not sure if there is any enthusiasm for returning to a Momentum led Labour Party. A new Fabian like party however could sweep the board up here.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:20 - Feb 18 with 1921 viewsfactual_blue

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:00 - Feb 18 by Lord_Lucan

There should however now be a bi-election in all these seats, although I don't suppose there will be.

They were voted in under the Labour party manifesto

Is a bi-election party of some new diversity agenda?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:22 - Feb 18 with 1914 viewsSwansea_Blue

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:14 - Feb 18 by No9

The labour party has been split for decades hasn't it?
The split has been opening & closing over the years depending on how the country was doing as a whole.
The tories have tremendous media support = the best political lie machine in the world- labour have a massive uphill battle because of this = the wrongs will always bee exaggerated the rights covered over.

I don't see this group changing anything

Yeah possibly. Seems to be the natural way of things. I can't remember the Labour split having quite a devastating effect on domestic politics as the Tory one (although I suppose there is an argument that the current split is denying us effective opposition when we really need it).

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:22 - Feb 18 with 1911 viewsNo9

BBC radio buzzing now with how good the news is for the tories
Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:26 - Feb 18 with 1902 viewsWeWereZombies

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:22 - Feb 18 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah possibly. Seems to be the natural way of things. I can't remember the Labour split having quite a devastating effect on domestic politics as the Tory one (although I suppose there is an argument that the current split is denying us effective opposition when we really need it).

What effective opposition has there been in the last twelve months? Corbyn's high point seems to have been Glastonbury 2017.

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:26 - Feb 18 with 1902 viewslowhouseblue

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:22 - Feb 18 by No9

BBC radio buzzing now with how good the news is for the tories

as ever, the good news for the tories is corbyn. that his leadership is now fracturing the labour party is just a continuation of the good fortune he has heaped upon the tory party since 2015. never before has such an awful government been propped up by the incompetence of such a third rate worm.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2019 11:42]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:26 - Feb 18 with 1902 viewsGuthrum

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:42 - Feb 18 by No9

That's a proplem isn't it?
There is nothing good at all about Mrs Mays proposal.

But I think this split will only embolden the tories

It's better than no deal at all.

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:29 - Feb 18 with 1893 viewsSwansea_Blue

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:26 - Feb 18 by WeWereZombies

What effective opposition has there been in the last twelve months? Corbyn's high point seems to have been Glastonbury 2017.

None, that's my point. Part of the more moderate Labour vote just can't get behind him.

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:29 - Feb 18 with 1889 viewsRyorry

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 09:23 - Feb 18 by Guthrum

It's the same with Labour. Or, rather, was.

However, Brexit (in combination with other issues) has introduced political shearing forces which cut across traditional party loyalties and are strong enough to tip over from internal grievances to outright splits. The Conservatives are no more immune to that than Labour.

For example, the ERG has nowhere to go if they don't get their way other than out of the Party. They are already in maximum rebellion mode, voting against Government policy. If they succeed, then the position of the moderates becomes untenable. Combined with increasing disquiet bubbling below the surface about issues such as continuing austerity and Universal Credit, that is more than enough to trigger splits - especially if there is already a seed to join.

ERG-ers joining the new breakaway Labour 7 would mean an instantaneous death-knell to that new party I suspect!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:32 - Feb 18 with 1878 viewsRyorry

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 10:29 - Feb 18 by No9

"Any political party needs a leader" - a shame the current Labour Party doesn't have one then!

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:59 - Feb 18 with 1838 viewsNo9

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:32 - Feb 18 by Ryorry

"Any political party needs a leader" - a shame the current Labour Party doesn't have one then!

None of the political parties has a real leader do they?
Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 12:04 - Feb 18 with 1826 viewsRyorry

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 11:20 - Feb 18 by WeWereZombies

I did not buy it but that was an interesting read from The Spectator, one sentence that did ring true was:

'For all the world they sound like Scottish Labour politicians circa 2005, taking their voters for granted and guffawing at the notion that the SNP could ever sweep through the Labour heartlands.'

But the boot is on the other foot now, an ex-SNP supporter I spoke to recently agreed that they were a busted flush but I am not sure if there is any enthusiasm for returning to a Momentum led Labour Party. A new Fabian like party however could sweep the board up here.

Fabians - excellent name - that's what they should have called themselves!

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 12:18 - Feb 18 with 1791 viewsWeWereZombies

Supposed impending split in the Labour Party on 12:04 - Feb 18 by Ryorry

Fabians - excellent name - that's what they should have called themselves!

And Wilnis could be their leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024